Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by frenchmon View Post
    Lets see...you live in Canada? How many albums we talking....and weight?
    Seriously, Frenchmon ... I have about 150 Classical LPs and about 50 old-time folk, folk-rock, and mainstream rock albums. All are in VG - Ex condition. I'm willing to sell them for $2 each provided you buy all of whichever category. The weight of an album is about 0.5 lb. PM or email me if you'd like further details.

Quote Originally Posted by Feanor View Post
    Seriously, Frenchmon ... I have about 150 Classical LPs and about 50 old-time folk, folk-rock, and mainstream rock albums. All are in VG - Ex condition. I'm willing to sell them for $2 each provided you buy all of whichever category. The weight of an album is about 0.5 lb. PM or email me if you'd like further details.
    No Jazz? The cost plus shipping would be to much for me. can you sell them local? That might be the best way to go for you if you are really looking to unload them. I would just get a modern TT and sit back and listen to the cohesiveness of the sound which I cant hear in CD if I where you....but that's a moot point to you seeing you say you suffer from hearing loss. Sorry.
    Music...let it into your soul and be moved....with Canton...Pure Music

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    W10 i5 Quad core processor 8GB RAM/Jriver 20/ Fidelizer Optimizer/ iFI Micro DSD DAC-iUSB 3.0/Vincent SA - T1/Vincent SP-331 MK /MMF-7.1/2M BLACK/MS Phenomena ll+/Canton Vento 830.2

RGA
    Forum Regular
    Frenchmon

Now you made me go and look up the new AN tonearms. They seem to be based on the Helius Scorpio III - well a little bit. The entire thing is made from "a single piece of machined aluminium for the one piece arm tube/headshell, which is internally tapered to keep the arm both stiff and light. Another solid block of aluminium is machined to make the bearing housing which contains ‘captured unipivot’ bearings.../... uses the same geometry and fixings as Rega arms, so can be fitted to almost any deck, and thanks to a wonderfully simple and effective collar (pictured below), vta can easily and repeatedly be adjusted in tiny increments (there’s a clear marking for every 0.25mm increment).

What I am reading extremely positive results out of the UK from some reviewers and beta testers who are having difficulty finding faults with them - although it starts £654 for the entry level version and up to £1,265 for the top model. These folks are saying they are very affordable prices for the tech involved. I asked for one for review - but per usual the wait list is ridiculous - several months at the very earliest.

And they also brought out an external motor for the TT2 which controls speed changes. It's a made to order device so it will cost a little too much. Strictly for those with extra cash. They also appear to be bringing out 2-3 more turntables in the between prices from the TT2 to the ridiculous TT3 at ~$100k. They need something to fill the middle price points I am eager to see what they come up with.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Lets see pictures of your Deck-arm3.jpg   Lets see pictures of your Deck-arm.jpg  

Quote Originally Posted by JohnMichael View Post
    I posted new pictures in my gallery but have not been able to download to this thread. I will try again. Of course it has been in other threads.

Thanks JM.... BTW...I enjoy your postings...especially those that have to do with turntables...

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    W10 i5 Quad core processor 8GB RAM/Jriver 20/ Fidelizer Optimizer/ iFI Micro DSD DAC-iUSB 3.0/Vincent SA - T1/Vincent SP-331 MK /MMF-7.1/2M BLACK/MS Phenomena ll+/Canton Vento 830.2

Quote Originally Posted by RGA View Post
    Frenchmon

Now you made me go and look up the new AN tonearms. They seem to be based on the Helius Scorpio III - well a little bit. The entire thing is made from "a single piece of machined aluminium for the one piece arm tube/headshell, which is internally tapered to keep the arm both stiff and light. Another solid block of aluminium is machined to make the bearing housing which contains ‘captured unipivot’ bearings.../... uses the same geometry and fixings as Rega arms, so can be fitted to almost any deck, and thanks to a wonderfully simple and effective collar (pictured below), vta can easily and repeatedly be adjusted in tiny increments (there’s a clear marking for every 0.25mm increment).

What I am reading extremely positive results out of the UK from some reviewers and beta testers who are having difficulty finding faults with them - although it starts £654 for the entry level version and up to £1,265 for the top model. These folks are saying they are very affordable prices for the tech involved. I asked for one for review - but per usual the wait list is ridiculous - several months at the very earliest.

And they also brought out an external motor for the TT2 which controls speed changes. It's a made to order device so it will cost a little too much. Strictly for those with extra cash. They also appear to be bringing out 2-3 more turntables in the between prices from the TT2 to the ridiculous TT3 at ~$100k. They need something to fill the middle price points I am eager to see what they come up with.
    Nice looking modified arm there...what advantages of aluminium over carbon fiber...or is it preference?

Arm still looks like its out of the Rega mold....
    Last edited by frenchmon; 06-03-2011 at 04:30 AM.

No Jazz? The cost plus shipping would be to much for me. can you sell them local? That might be the best way to go for you if you are really looking to unload them. I would just get a modern TT and sit back and listen to the cohesiveness of the sound which I cant hear in CD if I where you....but that's a moot point to you seeing you say you suffer from hearing loss. Sorry.
    Thanks for you sympathy re. my hear. Fortunately it's limited to quite high frequencies, 10 kH and above.

I've never had the problem some people have with CD sound. Nor have I ever enjoyed the rituals around handling LPs; these days I have basically everything on computer and just point and click to listen to what I want. What's more, I'm mainly interested in Classical music and new stuff is pretty much only available on CD or SACD.

Quote Originally Posted by Feanor View Post
    Thanks for you sympathy re. my hear. Fortunately it's limited to quite high frequencies, 10 kH and above.

I've never had the problem some people have with CD sound. Nor have I ever enjoyed the rituals around handling LPs; these days I have basically everything on computer and just point and click to listen to what I want. What's more, I'm mainly interested in Classical music and new stuff is pretty much only available on CD or SACD.
    What speaker do you use?? Normally one needs full range speakers for classical...correct?

For those who like eye candy One of the most beautiful DYI TT I ever saw!

Last edited by frenchmon; 06-03-2011 at 06:29 AM.

What speaker do you use?? Normally one needs full range speakers for classical...correct?
    Yes one does. Although apart from pipe organ, a speaker good to 40 Hz should work very well.

My speakers? Check my signature, below, where all is revealed. Note that my vinyl stuff, (Technics, etc.), isn't shown: it used to be, but since I haven't listened in a couple of years, I removed it.

Vinyl Fundamentalist Forums Moderator poppachubby's Avatar
    Check my sig...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Lets see pictures of your Deck-dsc04425.jpg  

Quote Originally Posted by poppachubby View Post
    Check my sig...
    Pops..how that cart sounding now that you've had it and broken it in? What characteristics does it have? top end extended? Mids rich? Not to laid back? How is it?

This really is a nice table. Its really smooth in its presentation. I cant say its lacking in anything. If I could say anything negative about it, it needs a little chrome on it to break up the totally black look. But if it sounds this good now, its going to be great once I add new cables, Cart, and perhaps a new platform for it. Also with a new phono amp, and preamp. I think it was noob who said build around it. And thats what I set out to do...I have a vinyl copy and CD copy of Miles "kind of Blue". Its two totally different presentations to my ears. The vinyl has a more smooth, liquid sound that seems to just presents it self really smooth like rolling with fluid through the speakers, which I cant say for the presentation of the CD, which is also very good, but just a different presentation to my ears...

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Got this retip job back from Soundsmith, yesterday. Figured it deserved a spot in frenchmon's photo thread, even though it might not get a turn on the P5 for a little while yet.

Nice....I'll tell you what. Send it to me and I will make sure it gets a turn....that way I can tell you how it sounds and you wont have to wait.

Forum Regular
    I'm so old I thought this thread was about tape decks. Back in the day folks used their deck to record from their TT.

Quote Originally Posted by Poultrygeist View Post
    I'm so old I thought this thread was about tape decks. Back in the day folks used their deck to record from their TT.

LOL! Read positing number 4 in this thread.

Audio Hobbyist Since 1969 Glen B's Avatar
    I'm past the half-century mark and understood "deck" to also mean turntable.

My "deck" since 1988, Denon DP-59L, modified to accept any RCA ICs. The RCA jacks are Furutech, with pure copper contacts, and ground post is Vampire Wire.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Lets see pictures of your Deck-101.jpg   Lets see pictures of your Deck-103.jpg   Lets see pictures of your Deck-107.jpg   Lets see pictures of your Deck-108.jpg   Lets see pictures of your Deck-dp59_mod.jpg  

Super Moderator Site Moderator JohnMichael's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 02audionoob View Post
    Got this retip job back from Soundsmith, yesterday. Figured it deserved a spot in frenchmon's photo thread, even though it might not get a turn on the P5 for a little while yet.

Nice cartridge. Nice photograph and my next lens is the 60mm macro Canon ES lens for my 50D. I have been thinking about sending the MC Gold to Soundsmith for a better stylus. When you do install it please let us know if you hear an improvement. My options are trading in the Gold for a new one or having it retipped.
    JohnMichael
    Vinyl Rega Planar 2, Incognito rewire, Deepgroove subplatter, ceramic bearing, Michell Technoweight, Rega 24V motor, TTPSU, FunkFirm Achroplat platter, Michael Lim top and bottom braces, 2 Rega feet and one RDC cones. Grado Sonata, Moon 110 LP phono.
    Digital
    Sony SCD-XA5400ES SACD/cd SID mat, Marantz SA 8001
    Int. Amp Krell S-300i
    Speaker
    Monitor Audio RS6
    Cables
    AQ SPKR and AQ XLR and IC

JM you got a Canon 50d? sweet! So what is Soundsmith?? a recycle shop for used carts???

Glen B thats a nice TT ( as the youngins say...Deck) looks like its got some kinda digital read-out...is that right? And have you seen that new anniversary model Denon has out? How do you think yours will stack up to that? Is it better you think?

I've been going without my dustcover, mostly because I find a scarf more convenient. But I decided to put it on, just now. I suppose it looks better than a scarf.

Quote Originally Posted by Glen B View Post
    I'm past the half-century mark and understood "deck" to also mean turntable.

My "deck" since 1988, Denon DP-59L, modified to accept any RCA ICs. The RCA jacks are Furutech, with pure copper contacts, and ground post is Vampire Wire.
    That is a NICE denon. always wanted to have one of these big denon DD's...

thanks for posting!

@frenchmon:
    Soundsmith is a company that repairs, upgrades or replaces cantilevers, styluses, ...
    and the new denon doesn't quite "do" it for me, it's definitely a good tt, but far less sophisticated as their "old" ones. And, I wonder where their minds where at when they decided to put on a (relatively low end) audio technica tonearm.
    Life is music!

Mcintosh MA6400 Integrated
    Double Advent speakers
    Thiel CS2.3's
    *DIY Lenco L75 TT
    * SME 3012 S2
    * Rega RB-301
    *Denon DL-103 in midas body
    *Denon DL-304
    *Graham slee elevator EXP & revelation
    *Lehmann audio black cube SE
    Marantz CD5001 OSE
    MIT AVt 2 IC's
    Sonic link Black earth IC's
    Siltech MXT New york IC's
    Kimber 4VS speakercable
    Furutech powercord and plugs.

I'm a happy 20 year old...

Quote Originally Posted by basite View Post
    That is a NICE denon. always wanted to have one of these big denon DD's...

thanks for posting!

@frenchmon:
    Soundsmith is a company that repairs, upgrades or replaces cantilevers, styluses, ...
    and the new denon doesn't quite "do" it for me, it's definitely a good tt, but far less sophisticated as their "old" ones. And, I wonder where their minds where at when they decided to put on a (relatively low end) audio technica tonearm.

So its not as good as Glens nor the Denon in the middle the DP 47F ? Sure is pretty!

Super Moderator Site Moderator JohnMichael's Avatar
    JM you got a Canon 50d? sweet! So what is Soundsmith?? a recycle shop for used carts???

Soundsmith is a cartridge manufacturer and can upgrade cartridges. They make a strain gauge cartridge and have reverse engineered the B&O micro cross cartridges. He has kept the B&O tables functional with his cartridges. You can also buy a cartridge based on the cartridges in standard mount for standard tonearms.

What I like is when I send in the Benz MC Gold I will have a choice of stylus shapes and cantilever material based on what I can afford at the time.
    JohnMichael
    Vinyl Rega Planar 2, Incognito rewire, Deepgroove subplatter, ceramic bearing, Michell Technoweight, Rega 24V motor, TTPSU, FunkFirm Achroplat platter, Michael Lim top and bottom braces, 2 Rega feet and one RDC cones. Grado Sonata, Moon 110 LP phono.
    Digital
    Sony SCD-XA5400ES SACD/cd SID mat, Marantz SA 8001
    Int. Amp Krell S-300i
    Speaker
    Monitor Audio RS6
    Cables
    AQ SPKR and AQ XLR and IC

Audio Hobbyist Since 1969 Glen B's Avatar
    Glen B thats a nice TT ( as the youngins say...Deck) looks like its got some kinda digital read-out...is that right?
    Yes, it displays the selected speed and pitch, since the TT has variable pitch control.

And have you seen that new anniversary model Denon has out? How do you think yours will stack up to that? Is it better you think?
    I've seen the anniversary model. The finish is very nice, but I have no idea how it will stack up. It has an s-shaped arm. The DP59L has the option of installing straight and s-shaped arms. I've tried both and preferred the straight arm.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread Information