Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Glen B View Post
    Yes, it displays the selected speed and pitch, since the TT has variable pitch control.

I've seen the anniversary model. The finish is very nice, but I have no idea how it will stack up. It has an s-shaped arm. The DP59L has the option of installing straight and s-shaped arms. I've tried both and preferred the straight arm.
    Have you seen basite's remarks? He seems to think you have the better one of the two. The new one seems to have a AT arm....which I suppose is a bad thing.
    Music...let it into your soul and be moved....with Canton...Pure Music

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    W10 i5 Quad core processor 8GB RAM/Jriver 20/ Fidelizer Optimizer/ iFI Micro DSD DAC-iUSB 3.0/Vincent SA - T1/Vincent SP-331 MK /MMF-7.1/2M BLACK/MS Phenomena ll+/Canton Vento 830.2

Thanks fellas for the info on Soundsmith.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    W10 i5 Quad core processor 8GB RAM/Jriver 20/ Fidelizer Optimizer/ iFI Micro DSD DAC-iUSB 3.0/Vincent SA - T1/Vincent SP-331 MK /MMF-7.1/2M BLACK/MS Phenomena ll+/Canton Vento 830.2

noob..my dealer is getting me a loaner phono cable from A+...It should be able to best the stock mmf-7.1 cable. Will let you know.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnMichael View Post
    Nice cartridge. Nice photograph and my next lens is the 60mm macro Canon ES lens for my 50D. I have been thinking about sending the MC Gold to Soundsmith for a better stylus. When you do install it please let us know if you hear an improvement. My options are trading in the Gold for a new one or having it retipped.
    That is a nice picture. I've been looking at a macro lens as well, but haven't been able to decide which one to get...
    Until then, this is the best I can do with a zoom lens.

Soundsmith's OCNCL stylus wuith zero hours...
    I got it posted on Agon, but I think I'm going to pull out the auction...

Audio Hobbyist Since 1969 Glen B's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by frenchmon View Post
    Have you seen basite's remarks? He seems to think you have the better one of the two. The new one seems to have a AT arm....which I suppose is a bad thing.
    No I have not seen Basite's remarks offering an opinion on the two Denons. Where ? Not in this thread.

Quote Originally Posted by Glen B View Post
    No I have not seen Basite's remarks offering an opinion on the two Denons. Where ? Not in this thread.
    check out posting #47 by Basite.

Audio Hobbyist Since 1969 Glen B's Avatar
    check out posting #47 by Basite.
    Got it. I skimmed over the rest when I saw the first sentence was discussing Soundsmith products.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnMichael View Post
    Nice cartridge. Nice photograph and my next lens is the 60mm macro Canon ES lens for my 50D. I have been thinking about sending the MC Gold to Soundsmith for a better stylus. When you do install it please let us know if you hear an improvement. My options are trading in the Gold for a new one or having it retipped.
    That photo was taken with a Kodak Z740, which takes nice pictures if I give it enough light. For serious photos, we do have a Canon digital SLR, but this camera does nicely for everyday use.

I decided to install the 10X4 since those who knew about it seemed interested in hearing how it sounds. Of course, it might change a little as it settles in, but I'll go ahead and comment on its obvious differences as compared to my Eroica that I've been using.

The long story short is...If I could audition cartridges, this probably isn't one I would have brought home. For my investment of right around $200 it's decent and fun. But so far I think of this cartridge like Beyonce. It's pretty, it has sizzling highs and a nice but rather round bottom. It's not quite getting the midrange right, though. We shall see how it goes.

At this rate, an Eroica might be my next cartridge, with this one used as a trade-in. I'm also thinking about sending it to the UK for a re-tip. Haven't checked prices.

ahhh...if you consider Beyonce midrange just below her chin to the top of her naval...she got her midrange right... just perfect!

I suspect your cart may have some breakin to do. I've never heard any negativity mentioned with that cart.....you are the first. Its probably needing a breakin.

I suppose I don't really mean to be negative about the Dynavector. It's just new territory for me. It sounds like someone pushed the loudness button, when compared to my Goldring cartridges. But I sort of knew to expect a difference in that direction. I'll give it 20 hours or so and then maybe add one more shim. The arm is running ever so slightly below horizontal, as it also was with the Eroica. As best I can tell with the aid of a magnifier and reading glasses, I think the stylus is running at the right angle, though.

Quote Originally Posted by 02audionoob View Post
    I suppose I don't really mean to be negative about the Dynavector. It's just new territory for me. It sounds like someone pushed the loudness button, when compared to my Goldring cartridges. But I sort of knew to expect a difference in that direction. I'll give it 20 hours or so and then maybe add one more shim. The arm is running ever so slightly below horizontal, as it also was with the Eroica. As best I can tell with the aid of a magnifier and reading glasses, I think the stylus is running at the right angle, though.
    When I heard the Goldring G 2400 on the mmf-7.1 it sounded warm and really smooth without losing any dynamics. But I really dont know how warm that cart was going through a Grado phono amp which is warm. And that phono amp into Bel Canto preamp and amp....Bel Canto is also warm. Your ears may be use to that warm smooth sound and not the louder and lively Dynavector.

When I heard the Goldring G 2400 on the mmf-7.1 it sounded warm and really smooth without losing any dynamics. But I really dont know how warm that cart was going through a Grado phono amp which is warm. And that phono amp into Bel Canto preamp and amp....Bel Canto is also warm. Your ears may be use to that warm smooth sound and not the louder and lively Dynavector.
    I've listened to 5 albums now and I'm starting to see (hear) the attraction. Right now, I've got the mono re-issue of Bob Dylan - The Times They Are A Changin' playing. It's not exactly the kind of record I'd use to try out a cartridge, but it's what I felt like hearing. Earlier today, I played Linda Ronstadt - Prisoner In Disguise and Bonnie Raitt - Home Plate. Both of those had a little extra dose of excitement to them, as compared to hearing them with the Eroica. I'm tempted to throw on a Joan Jett record next.

Forum Regular Jack in Wilmington's Avatar
    I've listened to 5 albums now and I'm starting to see (hear) the attraction. Right now, I've got the mono re-issue of Bob Dylan - The Times They Are A Changin' playing. It's not exactly the kind of record I'd use to try out a cartridge, but it's what I felt like hearing. Earlier today, I played Linda Ronstadt - Prisoner In Disguise and Bonnie Raitt - Home Plate. Both of those had a little extra dose of excitement to them, as compared to hearing them with the Eroica. I'm tempted to throw on a Joan Jett record next.
    Hey Noob, I can't seem to remember which Eroica you have? I've been enjoying my DAC so much, that I've been neglecting my vinyl. Maybe it's time to try a new cartridge and I wasn't sure if you had the LX or the H. Thanks. Sounds like the Dyna is growing on you.
    2 Channel System
    Dynaudio Contour 1.8 Mk II
    Pass Labs X150.5 (Amp)
    Cary SLP-03 (Preamp)
    Music Hall MMF 5.1 (TT)
    Goldring 1012GX (Cart.)
    Pro-ject SE II (Phono Box)
    Rotel RCD-1072 (CD Player)
    Bryston BDA-1 ( DAC )
    Sennheiser HD-600 (Headphones)
    Musical Fidelity Xcan V3 (Headphone Amp) _

HT System
    Usher X-719 (Mains)
    Usher X-616 (Center)
    Usher S-520 (Surrounds)
    Rel T2 (Subwoofer)
    Anthem MCA20 (Amp)
    Yamaha RX-A830 (Receiver)
    Panasonic TH-46PZ85U (Plasma TV)
    Denon DBT-1713UD (BluRay/SACD)

Quote Originally Posted by Jack in Wilmington View Post
    Hey Noob, I can't seem to remember which Eroica you have? I've been enjoying my DAC so much, that I've been neglecting my vinyl. Maybe it's time to try a new cartridge and I wasn't sure if you had the LX or the H. Thanks. Sounds like the Dyna is growing on you.
    Mine is the H. I've occasionally thought about trading it in against an LX. I've also considered sending it off for a re-tip. I suppose I fear a re-tip might change the sound in a bad way. I'm curious about the LX and it's less expensive than a 10X5 if ordered from a British dealer. But given that I have this 10X4, the Eroica H and a fairly new Goldring 1042, I'm not anxious to buy another cartridge. If I could get a good price selling the 10X4 or the 1042, I suppose I'd probably spend the proceeds and the trade-in on a Eroica LX.

Glad to hear you are having fun with your new cart!

Noob...got the loaner A+ phono cable today. They are not even broken in as of yet. The moment the cart dropped I could hear the improvement. Every faze of the sound has improved. this is the first thing I have done to the table since the purchase about a month and a half ago. It really sounds great. I am taking your advice and not getting a cart...the 2M Black right away but am building around it first.

My next upgrade will be a better platform. I think I have ruled out granite in favour of maple or birch. Noob if you have not invested in a good phono cable, I suggest you do....it will be worth the money. Especially if you get the kinda deal I got. 1 meter list for $410 of the Low Mass Oval Phono Cable from A+...I was able to get it for $240. I was going to go with Ortofon seeing my contact was having a hard time getting a loaner from one of the guys who answers the phone, so he went around the guy and then was he able to secure a loaner. I am glad he did because all my speaker cables and interconnects are A+, and you know how I fell about keeping all my cables the same brand and series. But back to the sound, not only is everything better,but it also sounds like I have better seperation in the instuments. Of course a darker back ground, but what I like most is the midsection being more in focus as well. So for $240 coin, I think its a good deal on a good cable. My dealer said to check it out for two weeks and if I like it, He would get me one....Im sure he wants this one as his demo.

Also picked up a brand new in the box Spin Clean for $60. I think they list for $80. I guess one day I will get one like yours, but for now this will do.

Still can't understand why they make the ground so big?

fenchmon

That's nice to see you went ahead with the A+ cable. My phono cable is wired into the tonearm, so I'm content to leave it, although maybe someday I'll have the tonearm re-wired.

On another topic...I tried a little experiment, today. I bought a Rotel RQ 970BX phono preamp on Craigslist last weekend, so I put that on the tube amp. I also ordered a Digitrac 300SE P-mount cartridge for my Technics SL-7 and it came during the week. I installed that and ran the SL-7 to the Rotel. Head to head competition...Technics SL-7 vs. Rega P5. OK...a boatload of variables...different cartridges, different phono preamps. But wow...surprising results! Hmm...seriously...not. The Technics/Rotel/Digitrac combo was humbled, to say the least. Oh well. It was fun to try while I had the Marantz out of the way. That turntable is pretty decent, but ultimately was probably the weakest link.

That's nice to see you went ahead with the A+ cable. My phono cable is wired into the tonearm, so I'm content to leave it, although maybe someday I'll have the tonearm re-wired.

On another topic...I tried a little experiment, today. I bought a Rotel RQ 970BX phono preamp on Craigslist last weekend, so I put that on the tube amp. I also ordered a Digitrac 300SE P-mount cartridge for my Technics SL-7 and it came during the week. I installed that and ran the SL-7 to the Rotel. Head to head competition...Technics SL-7 vs. Rega P5. OK...a boatload of variables...different cartridges, different phono preamps. But wow...surprising results! Hmm...seriously...not. The Technics/Rotel/Digitrac combo was humbled, to say the least. Oh well. It was fun to try while I had the Marantz out of the way. That turntable is pretty decent, but ultimately was probably the weakest link.
    Oh...thats right...you did tell me it was fixed...my bad, but if you get a tt with RCA's get a good phono cable. I will be worth it.

Thats interesting. Have you tried the Rega/Rotel vrs the Rega/ GCPH? I'd like to know how much the RQ 970BX is humble with a good TT.

Oh...thats right...you did tell me it was fixed...my bad, but if you get a tt with RCA's get a good phono cable. I will be worth it.

Thats interesting. Have you tried the Rega/Rotel vrs the Rega/ GCPH? I'd like to know how much the RQ 970BX is humble with a good TT.
    I'll have to swap phono preamps sometimes and see how it goes. I bet the Rotel wasn't the weakness, but I might as well prove it to myself, one way or the other.

I'll have to swap phono preamps sometimes and see how it goes. I bet the Rotel wasn't the weakness, but I might as well prove it to myself, one way or the other.
    Id be interested in hearing your opinion. I think JM had one and he said its not to shabby. Of course I have an onboard phono amp in my RC1090 which is very good. And of course you may already know the Rotel Michi RHAQ-10 phono stage had great positive reviews as being an outstanding stage...even today they don't last long on the used market. So I'd be interested in your opinion.

Been listening for a while now....either the phono cable that came with the TT is just bad...or the new A+ cable is really good. But whatever it is, the 7.1 is just off the chain....and this is still with the 2M Red....once I get the 2M Black, I just cant imagine the 7.1 sounding any better...

I'm very happy so far w/ my tone arm rewire. Honestly I've not hooked up my CDP since I've moved. Pure analog and tubes at this point. And the Brodmann FS speaker - was having real issues at first - now I'm going to cry a bit when they have to be shipped back. The mid range is like the smell of a woman.

Super Moderator Site Moderator JohnMichael's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by atomicAdam View Post
    . The mid range is like the smell of a woman.

Ooohh which part?
    JohnMichael
    Vinyl Rega Planar 2, Incognito rewire, Deepgroove subplatter, ceramic bearing, Michell Technoweight, Rega 24V motor, TTPSU, FunkFirm Achroplat platter, Michael Lim top and bottom braces, 2 Rega feet and one RDC cones. Grado Sonata, Moon 110 LP phono.
    Digital
    Sony SCD-XA5400ES SACD/cd SID mat, Marantz SA 8001
    Int. Amp Krell S-300i
    Speaker
    Monitor Audio RS6
    Cables
    AQ SPKR and AQ XLR and IC

Quote Originally Posted by atomicAdam View Post
    I'm very happy so far w/ my tone arm rewire. Honestly I've not hooked up my CDP since I've moved. Pure analog and tubes at this point. And the Brodmann FS speaker - was having real issues at first - now I'm going to cry a bit when they have to be shipped back. The mid range is like the smell of a woman.
    Some of these manufacturers have to keep the price down, so I wonder how good some of these cables...fixed of changeable, really are? The mmf-7.1 said the supplied cable was high end. Well the A+ cable exposed it as a fake.

Id be interested in hearing your opinion. I think JM had one and he said its not to shabby. Of course I have an onboard phono amp in my RC1090 which is very good. And of course you may already know the Rotel Michi RHAQ-10 phono stage had great positive reviews as being an outstanding stage...even today they don't last long on the used market. So I'd be interested in your opinion.
    I gave the Rotel a turn playing Karla Bonoff's self-titled album with the main system just now. It seemed to be pulling its weight just fine. The closed-in characteristics that were present with the Technics/Digitrac/Rotel combo were not present when the P5/10X4 was connected to the Rotel. The Rotel holds its own, without excessively coloring the sound. It had an oddly distracting tiny sizzle on the highs that I could probably get used to. Other than that, overall a nice addition to the system.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread Information