• 06-11-2010, 07:35 AM
    frenchmon
    Quote:

Originally Posted by poppachubby
    Jack I did an extensive audition of the Tube Box II SE at my local shop. It's a killer stage, VERY resolute yet neutral. If anything is out of wack, the Tube Box will amplify it. But if everything is just right, you'll get a real smooth and open sound.

Furthermore, I had to pass on it because the table I wanted it for was a Technics SL-Q2. Essentially the table wasn't good enough, and it exposed every audible weakness.

I would say if your table is properly set up, the Tube Box would be a great match. As far as cart matching, that's another story.

Im sorta running into that with my MMF 2.1

My preamp and speakers are really showing me the flaws in my budget table. It really does not have good detail at lower volume listening until I turn it up... and when the music stops I can hear the rumble. And while listening at louder volume levels, I keep wanting more out of it. But all in all, I really like it...I just know that its not on the same level as the rest of my gear. But for a entry level deck it performs well. I only wished it had the fidelity of the Marantz TT-15S1 Reference Series Turntable Peabody and I listen to Wednesday night...that thing rocked.
  • 06-11-2010, 09:07 AM
    poppachubby
    Quote:

Originally Posted by frenchmon
    I only wished it had the fidelity of the Marantz TT-15S1 Reference Series Turntable Peabody and I listen to Wednesday night...that thing rocked.

Those are made by Clearaudio frenchie. Rebadged Emotion I believe.
  • 06-11-2010, 09:27 AM
    frenchmon
    Quote:

Those are made by Clearaudio frenchie. Rebadged Emotion I believe.

Yes, I know...I wouldn't mind having one of those Marantz tables though....but yes, its Clearaudio all the way...even down to the cart. Have you had a chance to listen to one? The one we listen to was pared with a Very expensive Macintosh preamp and very expensive Classe mono amps. And the Klipsch speaker system that retails for $20,000 a pair. The Podiums.
  • 06-11-2010, 09:31 AM
    02audionoob
    I think the TT15-S1 is a little more than a straight-ahead Emotion. There's somthing a little upgraded about it...don't remember what. One of the guys at AK said he lucked into one for something like $350. Amazing stroke of luck. I once had a dealer offer me a price of $850 for one and I passed, after thinking long and hard about it. I thought it might be interesting to have the new Marantz turntable sitting on my old Marantz receiver.
  • 06-11-2010, 01:27 PM
    jrhymeammo
    I think if you were to spend less than $400, then I wouldnít go for Tube Box II, or anything below $200.<o></o>
    Tube Box II is basically Projectís Phono Box II with added tube circuit.<o></o>
    Not to say Phono Box II is a bad unit, but I think your system deserves something a little better like a used Tube Box SE (bigger unit).<o></o>
    <o></o>
    As Noob suggested, PJ Tube Box (original) is a good unit. <o></o>
    I would need to hear it again in my system to really say but I, too, had owned one and never thought it sounded neutral by any means.<o></o>
    But the best thing about the unit is that it offers soulful midrange that keep you up at night.<o></o>
    Itís not a High End Audiophile piece of unit, just a damn good unit.<o></o><o></o>

BUT, for another $300 or so, you can find a used Audio Research PH3.<o></o>
    The AR is far above PJ Tube box. It is well built, neutral with a touch of warm, plenty of gain and overall margin to satisfy 95% of MM and even low output cartridges.<o></o>
    If I was in your position, I would save until this winter and get a used AR PH-3. Who knows maybe you can stretch to the PH-3SE.
    <o>
    </o>
  • 06-11-2010, 02:54 PM
    frenchmon
    Quote:

Originally Posted by 02audionoob
    I think the TT15-S1 is a little more than a straight-ahead Emotion. There's somthing a little upgraded about it...don't remember what. One of the guys at AK said he lucked into one for something like $350. Amazing stroke of luck. I once had a dealer offer me a price of $850 for one and I passed, after thinking long and hard about it. I thought it might be interesting to have the new Marantz turntable sitting on my old Marantz receiver.

Man for the price of $850 you should have grabbed it. The way it sounded last Wendsday night it was just graceful. When its time for me to get a new table, if I find one at that price, imma jump all over it. Not only does it sound very good, its pretty.
  • 06-11-2010, 03:06 PM
    02audionoob
    Quote:

Man for the price of $850 you should have grabbed it. The way it sounded last Wendsday night it was just graceful. When its time for me to get a new table, if I find one at that price, imma jump all over it. Not only does it sound very good, its pretty.

I know...that dealer must have thought I was nuts to pass that up.
  • 06-11-2010, 06:09 PM
    Jack in Wilmington
    1 Attachment(s)
    Attachment 7009

Hey Frenchie, I'm sorry I never answered your question. It's sitting on the top shelf of my equipment rack, which has glass shelves. You may not be able to tell that in the picture.
    I like the look of the Jolida. Saw one on Audiogon but it was brand new and full price.

Quote:

Jack...btw, what is your table sitting on? Looks like its doing a balancing act....lol.

• 06-12-2010, 05:11 AM
    frenchmon
    Quote:

Originally Posted by 02audionoob
    I know...that dealer must have thought I was nuts to pass that up.

noob. I think you have Audio Research gear? last night I listened for about 5 hours to a system that had a tube Audio Research preamp ...I think he said it was a LS 14 or 16. He also has another one that he was not using...a PS. I forget the number. The LS was connected to a Macintosh tube amp 225. He had some diy speakers with Vifa woofers and Morel tweeters and Diy cables and interconnect...it was just mind blowing. He did the tube rolling to get the sound he wanted....his system was not overly warm at all. Most Mac gear I have heard was just to warm. My buddy said its just a matter of tube rolling. I was totally blown away by his system.
  • 06-12-2010, 05:15 AM
    frenchmon
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Jack in Wilmington
    Attachment 7009

Hey Frenchie, I'm sorry I never answered your question. It's sitting on the top shelf of my equipment rack, which has glass shelves. You may not be able to tell that in the picture.
    I like the look of the Jolida. Saw one on Audiogon but it was brand new and full price.

Oh...yeah in the picture it look like it was sorta just floating. Yeah the Jolida is nice. You also have a nice system....once again congrats on the new table and you got a very good price. I don't know if my dealer can give me a price like that.
  • 06-12-2010, 06:24 AM
    poppachubby
    Quote:

noob. I think you have Audio Research gear? last night I listened for about 5 hours to a system that had a tube Audio Research preamp ...I think he said it was a LS 14 or 16. He also has another one that he was not using...a PS. I forget the number. The LS was connected to a Macintosh tube amp 225. He had some diy speakers with Vifa woofers and Morel tweeters and Diy cables and interconnect...it was just mind blowing. He did the tube rolling to get the sound he wanted....his system was not overly warm at all. Most Mac gear I have heard was just to warm. My buddy said its just a matter of tube rolling. I was totally blown away by his system.

Awesome right? My "dream" pre is an ARC SP9, EStat and JoeESP9 both own one. They are discontinued and only available new.

I've heard a couple of pretty awesome DIY tube set ups myself. You'll rarely meet an eccentric tube type who doesn't make their own speakers.

Sure, as a rule tubes are warmer, but I don't think it's the bowl of mush that alot of people would like to think it is. I have my main rig right across from a respectable SS set up for my computer.
  • 06-12-2010, 09:07 AM
    Jack in Wilmington
    Quote:

Oh...yeah in the picture it look like it was sorta just floating. Yeah the Jolida is nice. You also have a nice system....once again congrats on the new table and you got a very good price. I don't know if my dealer can give me a price like that.

It's taken years and trial and error to get this far. I started 10 years ago, and every piece of gear that I originally bought has been replaced. This is like my fifth turntable. Now I'm sort of fine tuning with the phono amp and other cartridges.

Oh and don't forget that what I paid for the 5.1 was because I had the 2.1 as a trade in.
  • 06-12-2010, 10:21 AM
    frenchmon
    Quote:

Awesome right? My "dream" pre is an ARC SP9, EStat and JoeESP9 both own one. They are discontinued and only available new.

I've heard a couple of pretty awesome DIY tube set ups myself. You'll rarely meet an eccentric tube type who doesn't make their own speakers.

Sure, as a rule tubes are warmer, but I don't think it's the bowl of mush that alot of people would like to think it is. I have my main rig right across from a respectable SS set up for my computer.

PoppaC, Some tubes are warmer, but all tubes are not boring and laid back. The new tubes he replaced his old ones with gave a lot more life to his system. I've never heard tubes sound mildly warm with good highs like this. It just pulled your entire attention into what the music was speaking. a good Mac amp with a good Audio research preamp....priceless! The stand mount speakers where about 17 inches tall 10 inches wide and 12 inches deep and made of solid light oak sides that he cut himself. He had Vifa mid woofers and Morel tweeters, and made the crossovers himself. He made all his cables and interconnects himself. The speaker wires where made of a bunch of very thin gauge wire....something like 26 gauge but it was all braided up to make a single cable. The system was and sounded totally awesome.
  • 06-12-2010, 10:22 AM
    frenchmon
    Quote:

It's taken years and trial and error to get this far. I started 10 years ago, and every piece of gear that I originally bought has been replaced. This is like my fifth turntable. Now I'm sort of fine tuning with the phono amp and other cartridges.

Oh and don't forget that what I paid for the 5.1 was because I had the 2.1 as a trade in.

What phono amp did you get?
  • 06-12-2010, 10:34 AM
    Jack in Wilmington
    Quote:

What phono amp did you get?

Going to look at the Pro-Jects this afternoon. I can't believe all the phono amps out there.
    Lots to look at for sure.

Sounds like this guy you went to visit is really talented. I would never think of building my own speakers.
  • 06-12-2010, 11:09 AM
    02audionoob
    Quote:

Going to look at the Pro-Jects this afternoon. I can't believe all the phono amps out there.

Sounds like this guy you went to visit is really talented. I would never think of building my own speakers.

If you get a chance to listen to a PS Audio GCPH or a Phonomena 2, don't pass it up.
  • 06-12-2010, 12:19 PM
    frenchmon
    Quote:

Yeah he's got skills.
  • 06-12-2010, 01:07 PM
    Jack in Wilmington
    Well I pulled the trigger on the Pro-ject Phono Box SE II. Listened to it hooked up to their RM 9.1 table and it sounded great. Got it for $299 and he threw in a pair of audioquest snake interconnects.

Got to listen to the new Paradigm Signature 25 Sub. Wow only scratches the surface.
    He played "War of the Worlds" chapter 5 I think, where the robots come out of the street and start vaporizing everybody. Serious LFE stuff.

In a new room they had constructed I listened to the new Wilson Audio "Sasha's". They may be my favorite Wilsons. Everything sounded "right" not overdone like the WP's

All in all a nice afternoon.
  • 06-12-2010, 03:19 PM
    frenchmon
    Man...you know how to find a deal don't you.
  • 06-12-2010, 03:44 PM
    poppachubby
    Great deal Jack, let us know what you think.
  • 06-12-2010, 04:40 PM
    jrhymeammo
    Quote:

Well I pulled the trigger on the Pro-ject Phono Box SE II. Listened to it hooked up to their RM 9.1 table and it sounded great. Got it for $299 and he threw in a pair of audioquest snake interconnects.

Got to listen to the new Paradigm Signature 25 Sub. Wow only scratches the surface.
    He played "War of the Worlds" chapter 5 I think, where the robots come out of the street and start vaporizing everybody. Serious LFE stuff.

In a new room they had constructed I listened to the new Wilson Audio "Sasha's". They may be my favorite Wilsons. Everything sounded "right" not overdone like the WP's

All in all a nice afternoon.

Congrats Jack,
    That should be few steps above your Onkyo phono stage.
    I haven't heard the SE unit, but I imagine it to be well above the Phono II.
    We look forward to your review later down the road.

JRA
  • 06-12-2010, 05:43 PM
    Jack in Wilmington
    Quote:

Originally Posted by jrhymeammo
    Congrats Jack,
    That should be few steps above your Onkyo phono stage.
    I haven't heard the SE unit, but I imagine it to be well above the Phono II.
    We look forward to your review later down the road.

JRA

Thanks Guys, that will be something to look forward to when I get back from vacation. If it wasn't for you guys, I might not have thought of a phono pre. I also noticed the Pro-ject Speed Box when I was at my dealer. I'll let you know when it's time to suggest that. I need to get some more vinyl now.
  • 06-13-2010, 02:52 PM
    frenchmon
    Did you sell your old table?
  • 06-13-2010, 04:22 PM
    Jack in Wilmington
    Quote:

Did you sell your old table?

Traded it in on the 5.1. That's what made me jump on the deal. It's nice that this guy will take your old stuff in trade. That's why I always keep my eye on his used and demo gear.
    I went to my Pro-ject dealer to talk about an Xperience table, but they don't do trade-ins.
    He's still trying to talk me out of my Usher X-719's. The only thing that his has that fits my budget are a pair of Vienna Acoustics "Mozarts". He had me bring in my Ushers for a shoot out between them and a pair of Paradigm Sig 2's. Then he tried the Studio 20's
    It took the small floorstanders ( Mozarts and Studio 60's) to equal the bass extension of the X-719, but then the mids weren't as detailed and the highs were a little more etchy. Especially on the Studio 60's. Sorry to ramble on so. When I was in yesterday to order the Pro-ject Phono Pre, he was like " Hey still enjoying those Ushers" . I know he wants another shot.
  • 06-13-2010, 04:40 PM
    poppachubby
    Hi-Fi salesguys always hate anything you own. It's never good for any amount of reasons. Too old, too lo-fi, too ugly. They have to in order to better sell their wares. I love the local guys I deal with but when it comes to the "biz" side of things, I just snicker.