Page 18 of 20 FirstFirst ... 8 16 17 18 19 20 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Help! I keep buying vinyl!!!

Anyone looking for some fun vinyl should check out Thai Funk Volumes 1 & 2 on the Light in the Attic label. Just p[icked them both up. Both are 2 LP sets and they each are very well pressed and come is special hand sewn cloth covers. The fidelity isn't anything special because of ewhat they contain but they are well done.

They are both collections of funk, soul and disco from Thailand in the 70s and 80s. A mix of covers and originals. All really fun stuff.

Here's a picture of Volume 1 and it's cover:

Another new/sealed re-issue picked up today for half of half at Half-Price Books...

Speaking of buying vinyl... if you are a reggae fan and have not visited Ernie B's reggae online, you need to check it out. Enormous selection of reggae vinyl, both new and used including a ton of great reissues of classic albums cheap (such as the more recent Studio One reissues for 6.99 & 8.99) as well as original rare Jamaican records priced quite a bit higher but fairly. Best selection and prices on reggae I have found by far. Saturday afternoon, the following arrived at my house:

Dennis Brown: No Man is an Island
    The Best of Don Drummond
    Treasure Island in Dub
    Lee Perry: Return of the Super Ape (Been listening to Super Ape for years, about time to finally get around to the squeal)

4 Lee's Gold 10" 45s - which were all on sale for like 2 bucks each and feature people like Cornell Campbell, Johnny Clarke, Freddie McGregor, IRoy, and more with King Tubby, Tappa Zukie and others throwing on several dub versions. Each disk has 6 songs, three per side and it's a lot of great material

Ernie B use to come into the shop I worked at years ago and pick up the reggae 45's we sold. He was a cool guy for sure; chill and unpretentious. He's got the life with his reggae tunes over in Long Beach.

Funny thing about those 45's: 25% of them had pot-holes and the labels off center because the guys were most likely blunted We bought from small labels nothing from Island records or the like.

Nice score!!
    Main System: Exposure 2010s - VPI HW-19jr - Denon DL-103LC - ClearAudio Basic - Sony SCD-S7700 - PS Audio DLlll - Revel M20

Yeah, I've had some bad luck with exactly those issues when buying Jamaican pressings. I've seen a few documentaries on record making in Jamaica and more than a few of those shops pressing records look a bit less than as tidy as one would hope, including press operators grabbing records with one hand all over the grooves while toking on something held in the other.

Gene Ammons...

Boss Tenor...

[img][/img]

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Back in the day I loved listening to Jug and Dex together as dueling partners, and I always thought there was something special and nice about the way Taylor swings that ride cymbal. But even to this day, Jug is over looked as a giant by Jazz fans. This guy was looked up to by many who are more famous than he. If you wondered where some of the greats got their "soul Jazz style" of playing from, look no further than Jug....in Jazz fokelore Jug started it.

Ammons....Tenor
    Tommy Flanagan....Piano
    Doug Watkins........bass
    Arthur Taylor........ Drums
    Ray Barretto......... Conga

Prestige 1960
    Music...let it into your soul and be moved....with Canton...Pure Music

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    W10 i5 Quad core processor 8GB RAM/Jriver 20/ Fidelizer Optimizer/ iFI Micro DSD DAC-iUSB 3.0/Vincent SA - T1/Vincent SP-331 MK /MMF-7.1/2M BLACK/MS Phenomena ll+/Canton Vento 830.2

Joe Henerson...

...Our Thing

Henderson.....Sax
    Hill...............Piano
    Khan............Bass
    La Roca........Drums

Blue Note.....1963

Music Matters 45 RPM Reissue Series...2012

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    W10 i5 Quad core processor 8GB RAM/Jriver 20/ Fidelizer Optimizer/ iFI Micro DSD DAC-iUSB 3.0/Vincent SA - T1/Vincent SP-331 MK /MMF-7.1/2M BLACK/MS Phenomena ll+/Canton Vento 830.2

Nice.

I'm slipping up, the St. Louis Record Show was yesterday and I overslept and missed it.

sylmar, ca. in beautiful so cal earthquake country
    what about ME? i returned an LP to Freak Beat Records for credit because both sides were pressed with side one.

THEN i spent an additional nine bucks (before tax) on dollar records. some good finds here too:

michael franks with crossfire-LIVE--this is pretty rare as i have NEVER seen one.

andreas vollenweider-caverna magica-promo

stravinsky-pulcinella ste/apollon musagete-dutout and english chamber orch-MHS

boulez conducts ravel's daphnis et chloe-sq quad.

chet atkins/fiedler/boston pops-pops goes country

bouulez conducts stravinsky's firebird and bartok's music for strings, percussion, and celeste

eddie gomez/john ambercrombie/jack dejohnette/lester bowie-new directions-ecm

lambert/hendricks/bavan-at newport '63

boulez conducts stravinsky's petrushka-this is the quinessential petrushka for me. the perormance is second to none.

solti/chicago orch-symmphonie fantastique

carmen mcrae and kenny clarke/francy boland big band-november girl

the way out voices of lambert/hedricks/ross with the ike isaacs trio

and the best (IMNSHO) nancy wilson album-this mother's daughter-mostly for ONE song-stay tuned. this song knocks me out with the lyrics: "do it to me slow"!!! good gravy, what great lyrics.

on second thought,,,,don't stop me.
    ...regards...tr

Nice!

It was kind of a cool theme, this weekend.

Two very good albums...nice as well!

one of the very best tunes ever recorded would be 'peace piece' by bill evans on that-everybody loves bill evans.
    ...regards...tr

Quote Originally Posted by hifitommy View Post
    one of the very best tunes ever recorded would be 'peace piece' by bill evans on that-everybody loves bill evans.
    It is indeed greatness. Tonight's final selection will be...

have you seen the biographical film-let's get lost'? i bought it at a yard sale for $2 on vhs and i see it for like-$80 at times. its a great insight into chet's life.
    ...regards...tr

Too bad it's not on Netflix. I haven't seen it.

...regards...tr

Can a crooner get a gig? dean_martin's Avatar
    Birthday coming up so I splurged by placing a vinyl order with musicdirect - 10% off music with coupon code USA10 and free shipping at $99+. Had some room on the credit card for the first time in a long time - couldn't stand it. Had to perform my patriotic duty and stimulate the economy in celebration of the 4th.

Jack White-Blunderbuss
    Fleet Foxes-Helplessness Blues
    Bon Iver-s/t
    Bob Dylan-Nashville Skyline
    Tom Waits-Mule Variations
    Les Savy Fav-Root for Ruin

Now I wait for FedEx.

Couldn't resist a little bargain shopping at the record show. For about $20 total (most were two bucks with a couple for 3 and a couple for 1), picked up the following:

James Brown: It's A Man's Man's Man's World - The only one where the vinyl is a bit scratchy, but after cleaning up plays a heck of a lot better than it looks with just an occasional pop or click.

Smokey Robinson & the Miracles: Tears of a Clown - Just a great album, that it seems was originally released under a different title then re-released once the title track became a big hit 3 years after the original release.

Black Sabbath: Paranoid - I've never been pleased with the muted sound of the fancy 180 gram re-issue of this I've been making due with for a few years now and had to grab an original to replace the long gone copy I remember fondly.

Cheap Trick: In Color - I really like the first few Cheap Trick albums, this is one of my favorites of theirs.

Simple Minds: Real to Real Cacophony - Hadn't hearsd this one before and it's actually really good, way more post-punk and angular than their later more pop sounding releases, interesting indeed.

Ladysmith Black Mambazo: Journey of Dreams - Still sealed. Pretty great voices, but I"m not familiar enough with their entire catalog to know how this particular release sticks up. It is beautiful though.

Wilson Pickett: Wicked Pickett - One of his best albums, includes Mustang Salley and a smattering of his bigger hits.

Cannonball Adderly with Sergio Mendes : Quiet Nights of Quiet Stars - Had never heard of this one but grabbed it on a whim, if you like the Getz/Gilberto combination and that 60 Bosa Nova style jazz stuff this is really good.

Duke Ellington Presents - I've never heard a bad Duke Ellington album, really.

Meet the Searchers: Needles & Pins - British invasion band, featuring their biggest hit and a lot of other solid, consistiently strong material.

The Suicide Commandos: Make a Record - I've had a mint copy of this one for yeas and it's an all time favorite, but I couldn't resist a second copy for $3. I was fairly shocked to see this one in the box.

So yup, a good day at the show and a lovely Sunday spent cleaning them up and listening.
    Last edited by nobody; 07-16-2012 at 06:23 AM.

I love this album!

And here is my girl Elaine Elias in tribute to Mr. Evans...

frenchie,

if you like eliane, one of her best is 'kissed by nature' on which is what i like best about brazilian music, the words have their own rhythm.

a later one by her isnt nearly as good-'dreamer'. i will keep my eye out for the bill evans tribute.
    ...regards...tr

Quote Originally Posted by hifitommy View Post
    frenchie,

if you like eliane, one of her best is 'kissed by nature' on which is what i like best about brazilian music, the words have their own rhythm.

a later one by her isnt nearly as good-'dreamer'. i will keep my eye out for the bill evans tribute.
    I also have Dreamer...I like it as well, but yeah its a departure from her what she normally does. I've listened to Kissed by Nature but dont own it.....I have about 5 of her works.

Page 18 of 20 FirstFirst ... 8 16 17 18 19 20 LastLast

Thread Information