Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
    Super Moderator Site Moderator JohnMichael's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by tube fan View Post
    I've heard a great sounding Grado for $600. It was a moving iron. I bought a Benz MC 3 long ago and have stuck (very happily) with Benz cartridges ever since. I'm currently using a Benz Ruby 3. However, aside from the London moving iron cartridge (in a league of its own), Grado is making the best non-mc cartridges that I have heard.

I have the Benz MC Gold but of course it is not a Swiss made Benz. I am planning on sending it to Soundsmith for a stylus upgrade. One day I may step up the Benz line. As much as I am enjoying the Statement Sonata it will not be soon. Oh well my watch is Swiss.

I have been very pleased with the Grado. At first it was typically warm but then it opened up in the highs and now we are entering into a more coherent sound with a touch of sweetness. Certainly not syrupy with a loss of details but very engaging.

I would have to say that what I have heard so far makes this $600 cartridge a bargain. When I upgrade tables to something superior I may upgrade cartridges. Now I think the Grado is a good fit for my current analog set-up.
    JohnMichael
    Vinyl Rega Planar 2, Incognito rewire, Deepgroove subplatter, ceramic bearing, Michell Technoweight, Rega 24V motor, TTPSU, FunkFirm Achroplat platter, Michael Lim top and bottom braces, 2 Rega feet and one RDC cones. Grado Sonata, Moon 110 LP phono.
    Digital
    Sony SCD-XA5400ES SACD/cd SID mat, Marantz SA 8001
    Int. Amp Krell S-300i
    Speaker
    Monitor Audio RS6
    Cables
    AQ SPKR and AQ XLR and IC

Quote Originally Posted by 02audionoob View Post
    There's Grado Signature TLZ, unused, listed on Craigslist here. Anyone have any thoughts on that one?

I have never heard that cartridge. I think that is one from the plastic body days with a removable stylus. Grado claims improved sound with the fixed nonreplaceable stylus of their wooden body cartridges. A reduction in resonance is one of the claims.
    JohnMichael
    Vinyl Rega Planar 2, Incognito rewire, Deepgroove subplatter, ceramic bearing, Michell Technoweight, Rega 24V motor, TTPSU, FunkFirm Achroplat platter, Michael Lim top and bottom braces, 2 Rega feet and one RDC cones. Grado Sonata, Moon 110 LP phono.
    Digital
    Int. Amp Krell S-300i
    Speaker
    Monitor Audio RS6
    Cables

The Grado continues to please. I am glad I stopped being such a cheap ass about cartridges and bought the Sonata. One thing I should mention is that I never thought Grado's tracked well in a Rega tonearm. Since switching to the Michell Technoweight which is a lowered counterweight the Grado's track very well. Actually I think every cartridge tracks better and with lower surface noise.

I did switch to the heavier weight supplied with the Technoweight. The Sonata's weight is 7g and the small weight is used for cartridges weighing upto 6g and of course the large is for cartridges weighing more than 6g.
    JohnMichael
    Digital
    Int. Amp Krell S-300i
    Speaker
    Monitor Audio RS6
    Cables

My day off and at 10 PM finally have time to spin some vinyl. Enjoying the piano, brushed cymbals and acoustic bass of the jazz music. The Sonata has transported me to a smokey jazz club. Damn this is some good chit.
    Last edited by JohnMichael; 09-02-2011 at 06:04 AM.
    JohnMichael
    Digital
    Int. Amp Krell S-300i
    Speaker
    Monitor Audio RS6
    Cables

Quote Originally Posted by JohnMichael View Post
    My day off and at 10 PM finally have time to spin some vinyl. Enjoying the piano, brushed cymbals and acoustic bass of the jazz music. The Sonata has transported me to a smokey jazz club. Damn this is some good chit.
    Dang Boyeee! Now ya talking!...(I assume you are talking about the music being good chit?)
    Music...let it into your soul and be moved....with Canton...Pure Music

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    W10 i5 Quad core processor 8GB RAM/Jriver 20/ Fidelizer Optimizer/ iFI Micro DSD DAC-iUSB 3.0/Vincent SA - T1/Vincent SP-331 MK /MMF-7.1/2M BLACK/MS Phenomena ll+/Canton Vento 830.2

Quote Originally Posted by frenchmon View Post
    Dang Boyeee! Now ya talking!...(I assume you are talking about the music being good chit?)

Yes the music and the wine. It has been a few decades since I had some good chit. No point going to Amsterdam except for the Rembrandt museum.
    JohnMichael
    Digital
    Int. Amp Krell S-300i
    Speaker
    Monitor Audio RS6
    Cables

Yes the music and the wine. It has been a few decades since I had some good chit. No point going to Amsterdam except for the Rembrandt museum.

Yeah I feel ya on that one....last time I had some good chit was 1989....so its been a while.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    W10 i5 Quad core processor 8GB RAM/Jriver 20/ Fidelizer Optimizer/ iFI Micro DSD DAC-iUSB 3.0/Vincent SA - T1/Vincent SP-331 MK /MMF-7.1/2M BLACK/MS Phenomena ll+/Canton Vento 830.2

I keep pulling out the vinyl. Last night I was listening to a variety of music. What impressed me last night was Cleo Laine's "Return to Carnegie Hall". At the end of one song she hits a very high note that on some cartridges it was tough to determine if it was her voice or the horns. Last night it was obvious which were her high notes. Her notes were obviously human and distinct from the horns. She hits a high note and then the next note is higher and then she goes even higher. Wow even more impressive through the Grado.
    JohnMichael
    Digital
    Int. Amp Krell S-300i
    Speaker
    Monitor Audio RS6
    Cables

The Grado is still singing sweetly. I removed the 2mm spacer to see how it would sound and I was surprised. Without the spacer I did not notice any great change in balance but a greater depth to the soundstage. The tymapni and bass drums in the Telarc "Rite of Spring" Cleveland Orchestra were both further back and more focused. I would also have to say the bass was a little fuller and more rounded in tone. Of course along with this change was my returning to the Funk Firm Achroplat which also improved the bass power.
    JohnMichael
    Digital
    Int. Amp Krell S-300i
    Speaker
    Monitor Audio RS6
    Cables

Can a crooner get a gig? dean_martin's Avatar
    The Grado is still singing sweetly. I removed the 2mm spacer to see how it would sound and I was surprised. Without the spacer I did not notice any great change in balance but a greater depth to the soundstage. The tymapni and bass drums in the Telarc "Rite of Spring" Cleveland Orchestra were both further back and more focused. I would also have to say the bass was a little fuller and more rounded in tone. Of course along with this change was my returning to the Funk Firm Achroplat which also improved the bass power.
    John, this is a little off topic but your post reminded me of something I've been meaning to ask about. What has more effect on soundstage depth - source, speakers, speaker placement, amplifier or something else?

Quote Originally Posted by dean_martin View Post
    John, this is a little off topic but your post reminded me of something I've been meaning to ask about. What has more effect on soundstage depth - source, speakers, speaker placement, amplifier or something else?

I think it can be any component. Speakers have been designed with a slight recess to give the impression of more depth. I think vinyl does depth and ambience much better than cd. VTA helped with depth presentation of the Grado. Too much toe-in can exaggerate depth. I think better electronics have better soundstage presentation. When you are sitting in your chair with eyes closed and the soundfield sounds larger than your room that is the magic of 2 channel.
    JohnMichael
    Digital
    Int. Amp Krell S-300i
    Speaker
    Monitor Audio RS6
    Cables

Oh and a good recording that captures ambiance and depth. Usually one that is minimally miked.
    JohnMichael
    Digital
    Int. Amp Krell S-300i
    Speaker
    Monitor Audio RS6
    Cables

Well it did not take long but I am back to the glass platter and Ringmat mat. The FF Achroplat makes the bass very strong but the highs sounded brittle and harsh. Well as brittle and harsh as the Grado could sound. The Ringmat is still champ for my table, records, cartridge and system. Listening to vinyl is once again sweet and resolved.
    JohnMichael
    Digital
    Int. Amp Krell S-300i
    Speaker
    Monitor Audio RS6
    Cables

The Grado in the Rega arm. Playing with the new macro lens. A picture of my dog in his room and detail of a lamp.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Grado Sonata 1 Low Output-005-smaller.jpg   Grado Sonata 1 Low Output-003-smaller.jpg   Grado Sonata 1 Low Output-004-smaller.jpg  
    Last edited by JohnMichael; 11-28-2011 at 05:42 PM.
    JohnMichael
    Digital
    Int. Amp Krell S-300i
    Speaker
    Monitor Audio RS6
    Cables

One of the great aspects of this cartridge is the center fill. I have heard some carts that the imaging would not be as solid in the center. The Grado Sonata is solid the full width of the soundstage. Oh and Rage is sounding awesome. I keep hearing things I have not heard before and everything makes more musical sense. Very nice. I need to buy the Sonata some more vinyl.

Man...I would love to hear this cart with the Vento's. I think I will purchase one some time early next year.

Man...I would love to hear this cart with the Vento's. I think I will purchase one some time early next year.

Come visit and give it a listen. I think I will always have a Grado Sonata in my Rega.
    JohnMichael
    Digital
    Int. Amp Krell S-300i
    Speaker
    Monitor Audio RS6
    Cables

Come visit and give it a listen. I think I will always have a Grado Sonata in my Rega.
    Hey I might just take you up on that some day JM. Not only do I want to hear that cart, but more so, that table! I'm sure that puppy sounds excellent.

When I get a new phono amp, I will send you the Grado phono amp to take a listen with the Sonata....if you are still interested....but it will hopefully be first quarter 2013.

Hey I might just take you up on that some day JM. Not only do I want to hear that cart, but more so, that table! I'm sure that puppy sounds excellent.

When I get a new phono amp, I will send you the Grado phono amp to take a listen with the Sonata....if you are still interested....but it will hopefully be first quarter 2013.
    I am always interested in trying new to me audio products. It would be fun to compare the Grado with the Moon.
    JohnMichael
    Digital
    Int. Amp Krell S-300i
    Speaker
    Monitor Audio RS6
    Cables

I will send it to you then.

I will send it to you then.

Or bring it when you visit. I have a spare bedroom with en suite. Queen bed and fresh linens but ignore Corky's looks he thinks it is his room. Your +1 is also welcome. The bad news is I do not cook but I know where the professionals work.
    JohnMichael
    Digital
    Int. Amp Krell S-300i
    Speaker
    Monitor Audio RS6
    Cables

It may be a while before I can vacation. Perhaps next year. Wife has been talking about a family vacation.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread Information