Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Super Moderator Site Moderator JohnMichael's Avatar

Grado Sonata 1 Low Output

I have enjoyed the Grado sound in the past and I am thinking abot the Grado Sonata. I was wondering if anyone had heard this cartridge or had any real experience with one.

I currently own two moving coil cartridges from Benz and AT along with an Ortofon OM20 and a Grado Red. I like the Grado Red but the highs are not what I would like. I have read where the fixed stylus/wood body Grados are a step or two above the other plastic bodied Grados. Since I switched to the Michell Technoweight Grados track well in the RB250 tonearm. Just thinking at this point.

I am going to send the Benz to Soundsmith for the ruby cantilever and line contact diamond upgrade.
    JohnMichael
    Vinyl Rega Planar 2, Incognito rewire, Deepgroove subplatter, ceramic bearing, Michell Technoweight, Rega 24V motor, TTPSU, FunkFirm Achroplat platter, Michael Lim top and bottom braces, 2 Rega feet and one RDC cones. Grado Sonata, Moon 110 LP phono.
    Digital
    Sony SCD-XA5400ES SACD/cd SID mat, Marantz SA 8001
    Int. Amp Krell S-300i
    Speaker
    Monitor Audio RS6
    Cables
    AQ SPKR and AQ XLR and IC

I can see how the Sonata would be a good consideration. Someday I figure I'll get one of those. I have too many cartridges at the moment, but I might start trying to sell them.

I've always been interested but have heard they have problems with hums....
    Music...let it into your soul and be moved....with Canton...Pure Music

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    W10 i5 Quad core processor 8GB RAM/Jriver 20/ Fidelizer Optimizer/ iFI Micro DSD DAC-iUSB 3.0/Vincent SA - T1/Vincent SP-331 MK /MMF-7.1/2M BLACK/MS Phenomena ll+/Canton Vento 830.2

When I bought my MMF-5 (as a demo from a dealer) they had put a Grado Red on it. It was the loudest hum of any component that I've ever experienced in my system.

Quote Originally Posted by 02audionoob View Post
    When I bought my MMF-5 (as a demo from a dealer) they had put a Grado Red on it. It was the loudest hum of any component that I've ever experienced in my system.
    Did you have a metal platter?

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    W10 i5 Quad core processor 8GB RAM/Jriver 20/ Fidelizer Optimizer/ iFI Micro DSD DAC-iUSB 3.0/Vincent SA - T1/Vincent SP-331 MK /MMF-7.1/2M BLACK/MS Phenomena ll+/Canton Vento 830.2

Quote Originally Posted by frenchmon View Post
    Did you have a metal platter?
    It was a glass platter. The metal platters aren't what makes the Grado cartridges hum on these turntables - it's the motor...120V motors, especially.

So by the 7.1 having the motor where it is....I may be ok with a Grado? I suppose I will. I did read a review with a guy who had a Grado Sonata on his 7.1 but he did not like the cart on his table. he never mentioned a hum...only he said it was not what he wanted. The review is on the Needle Doctor web site.

I would imagine you will not have a problem of any great significance. The position of the motor on the MMF-5 and similar models is indeed a little unfortunate, since the cartridge gets closer and closer to the motor while the record plays. I would think the MMF-7.1's motor location does help.

Also, the MMF-5 was straight 120V with no wall wart. I think the low-voltage wall wart dramatically reduces the field around the motor. Your odds of a problem are probably quite low. AK member Puma Cat said a Sonata hummed on his Rega P5, which does use a low voltage motor (not 120V). But I don't know if it was this issue with AC motors or if he had a ground loop issue.

Grados have a low hum on Rega tables but it is slight and the music easily masks it.

I always loved what Grado cartridges can do for the female voice.
    JohnMichael
    Vinyl Rega Planar 2, Incognito rewire, Deepgroove subplatter, ceramic bearing, Michell Technoweight, Rega 24V motor, TTPSU, FunkFirm Achroplat platter, Michael Lim top and bottom braces, 2 Rega feet and one RDC cones. Grado Sonata, Moon 110 LP phono.
    Digital
    Int. Amp Krell S-300i
    Speaker
    Monitor Audio RS6
    Cables

Now that I have done a little research on the Sonata .... JohnMichael, I am now in the Vally of decision concerning a Cart. I was all set for the 2M Balck when the time comes, but now the Grado Reference Sonata 1 has entered the picture. It seem there is a sophistication with that cart...for what reasons I still dont know. They seem to have a large following.

Now that I have done a little research on the Sonata .... JohnMichael, I am now in the Vally of decision concerning a Cart. I was all set for the 2M Balck when the time comes, but now the Grado Reference Sonata 1 has entered the picture. It seem there is a sophistication with that cart...for what reasons I still dont know. They seem to have a large following.

I want the low output version for use with the Graham Slee Fanfare phono preamp. I am in the mood for lush and romantic and if the mood changes I still will have the Ortofon OM20, AT F7 and the Benz Gold. I will say this will be the most I have ever spent on a phono cartridge. Back in the days when I bought my first marble based Kenwood they would throw in a Shure M91ED for a penny. I also do not want to spend a large amount of money on something I might easily break. No $15,000 cartridges for me and I do not have the level of equipment to justify one at that price.

I do get a kick out of one manufacturer who makes a cartridge for almost $1,000 and is has a conical stylus. To me that is insane when you can buy a $100 Ortofon with an elliptical stylus.
    JohnMichael
    Digital
    Int. Amp Krell S-300i
    Speaker
    Monitor Audio RS6
    Cables

Did you get my PM?

Did you get my PM?

I did read it after I read this post.
    JohnMichael
    Digital
    Int. Amp Krell S-300i
    Speaker
    Monitor Audio RS6
    Cables

The Sonata is on it's way. This will be my first wood bodied cartridge. This will be my first Grado without an interchangeable stylus. Rega, Clearaudio, Bang&Olufsen and Soundsmith all build IM or MM cartridges with fixed styli. It has been years since I have used my B&O RX2 so I have no memory as to the sound of the cartridge. This will be my first low output fixed coil cartridge. As an audio/analog geek I am quite excited.
    JohnMichael
    Digital
    Int. Amp Krell S-300i
    Speaker
    Monitor Audio RS6
    Cables

Well this audio/analog geek is very interested in your opinion of that cart....I think I've narrowed it down to the Sonata and the 2M Black. I've seen review describing the Black as being lush and romantic as well. If I can get a deal from my dealer who carries both carts, I may purchase one and then some time later purchase the other. Man I have to purchase a phono amp, speed box, and lastly maybe new speakers as well as the cart(s) and then I am done for a while.

The Grado arrives Monday. I am on vacation until Wednesday so I will have two days to install it and enjoy first listen.
    JohnMichael
    Digital
    Int. Amp Krell S-300i
    Speaker
    Monitor Audio RS6
    Cables

I'll be looking forward to your thoughts on it. I have considered one in recent times.

According to USPS tracking the Grado will be delivered today.
    JohnMichael
    Digital
    Int. Amp Krell S-300i
    Speaker
    Monitor Audio RS6
    Cables

Quote Originally Posted by JohnMichael View Post
    According to USPS tracking the Grado will be delivered today.
    Great...but then I guess you will have break in time.

The Sonata is here and mounted. I was a little nervous installing a cartridge without a replaceable stylus. Since this was the most I had spent on a cartridge I did not want to trash the cantilever. I had paid under $300 for the AT F7 and The Benz MC Gold. The Gold I sent in a trade and received a good discount.

The Grado Sonata is the largest cartridge in my collection. The wood body weighs more than the others so I used the larger weight of the Michell Technoweight. Even though the body had tapped screw holes, so you did not have to bother with nuts, it was not too easy to mount. When I would tighten a screw it would move in the cartridge slots of the tonearm and throw it out of alignment. Settled on snugging the cartridge and then carefully twisting it to correct alignment.

I set the tracking force at the recommended 1.5 grams. Tracks beautifully and better than the AT F7 which is the most recent cartridge mounted. No sounds of mistracking or distortion at the end of a record. Of course they have all been mounted in the same way using the MoFi Geodisc and a Shure stylus force guage. Anti skate was also set at 1.5. I am currently using the 2mm to set the VTA. I may remove it and listen to the cartridge but it sounds good now so I may leave well enough alone.

Initial impressions are of the cartridge being a refined version of the plastic bodied Grados. Female vocals are incredible. So much so that I have not listened to any male vocalists yet. The AT F7 had a layered soundstage but the layers were cardboard cut-outs caompared to the body the Sonata brings to instruments and singers. If the cartridge gets better as it is broken in great but right now with the limited time and number of records I am pleased. You could listen to this cartridge for hours on end without fatigue.
    JohnMichael
    Digital
    Int. Amp Krell S-300i
    Speaker
    Monitor Audio RS6
    Cables

Great JM...keep us posted!

I have to say that the AntiCables reveal more readily the differences in components. The AT F7 I liked and still like but the AQ cables gave an extra bit of warmth to the sound. The midrange is much more fleshed out with the Grado and I know it is the cartridge and not some artifact of the cables. I am anxious to hear some Rage Against the Machine through the Sonata.
    JohnMichael
    Digital
    Int. Amp Krell S-300i
    Speaker
    Monitor Audio RS6
    Cables

I do not think I have mentioned the hum issue with Grados in a Rega. I do not have it. I think the metal machined subplatter is shielding the cartridge from the motor. Grados are not shielded like other cartridges so apt to hum when close to the motor.
    JohnMichael
    Digital
    Int. Amp Krell S-300i
    Speaker
    Monitor Audio RS6
    Cables

Well that's great you don't have a hum...nice to hear that....and happy for you JM, that you are really enjoying your rig. This hobby really bestows personal happiness.

.I went to YouTube and listened to RATM...sad to say JM....I couldn't hang! Sorry. For some reason, I don't have the patience for the newer rock bands, but I'm all over the classic rock from my youth.

I'm sitting hear listening to some Thelonious Monk now...The mmf-7.1 and the nice subtle sweet sound of the Vincent is just a pleasant sound...and that's all with a cheap $99 2M Red. The Sonata 1 im sure would set it off nicely.

Well that's great you don't have a hum...nice to hear that....and happy for you JM, that you are really enjoying your rig. This hobby really bestows personal happiness.

.I went to YouTube and listened to RATM...sad to say JM....I couldn't hang! Sorry. For some reason, I don't have the patience for the newer rock bands, but I'm all over the classic rock from my youth.

I'm sitting hear listening to some Thelonious Monk now...The mmf-7.1 and the nice subtle sweet sound of the Vincent is just a pleasant sound...and that's all with a cheap $99 2M Red. The Sonata 1 im sure would set it off nicely.

RATM along with Disturbed, Godsmack and several others were good for me at a time I was very angry and raging. Still sounding good tonight but I am in a different place.
    JohnMichael
    Digital
    Int. Amp Krell S-300i
    Speaker
    Monitor Audio RS6
    Cables

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information