Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    sylmar, ca. in beautiful so cal earthquake country

sponges

NEVER touch my records. i bought my current uW because it had a POPCORN button! all kernels popped, never a burned one.

my circa 1979 toshiba oven worked fine but the new one weighs 1/3 of it and was cheeeeeper. THATS progress.

i will agree that nearly any fluid will leave its mark on the vinyl.
    ...regards...tr

DPM

Darth Vader knows my name.

Well, today I finally got around to pulling the trigger on a new turntable, and it's not a Project nor is it a Rega. In fact, I've gone over to the dark side (cue evil music here) and ordered a hot-rodded Techinics SL1200 from KAB. The modifications I requested are the fluid damper, the tonearm rewire, and the PS 1200 outboard power supply. Also, it will come with the KAB/Ortofon Concorde PRO S30 cartridge and KAB USA record clamp. (I decided to nix the screw clamp.)

So, in about a month I should be back to spinning the black musical gold. I still have to decide on an outboard phono amp. Creek? Bellari? Project? I also need other various items (record brush, stylus brush/cleaner, record sleeves, etc.), and I will acquire these in due course.

Regarding my purchase, I decided to go with direct drive partly because of familiarity (my previous table was also a Technics), but also build quality, pitch stability and being able to use a record brush on a spinning record played a part. The growing number of positive reviews from those who've experienced what this table has to offer only sweetened the pot.

Regarding my choice of cartridge, besides the Ortofon PRO S30, I was also considering the Audio Technica AT 150MLX, but the plug-and-play nature of the Ortofon won me over...for now. Also, the fact that my previous cartridge was an Ortofon OM 30 factored into my decision process.

Before placing my order, I called up Kevin at KAB. Despite being very busy (there is a three week waiting period for a table), he took the time to give me the rundown on the various upgrades for the Technics and answered my questions regarding cartridges and phono amps. Indeed, he came across as quite friendly and knowledgeable.

So, there you have it. In the final days of my turntable hunt it came down to the Project RM 6.1 SB (belt-drive) and the aforementioned Techinics (direct-drive). In the end, I decided on age before beauty, the old reliable before the unknown quantity, the uncool wallflower before the homecoming queen. Was I wrong? Stay tuned.

DM

Cool Choice!

I personally prefers a belt-drive, but I think 6.1SB is overpriced for what it does. I've never found it to be anything special for the price. I would've went with Xpression 3 with acrylic platter and gloss finish. I got a ver.1 which was a good value($450), but version 3 looks to be a killer bargin.
    Anyhow, congrats on your purchase. SL1200 is a tweakers' dream. They even offer a kit to install REGA arms. Freom what I've read, Sl's weakest link is its tonearm, but you already ordered a couple of tweaks for that. We would love to hear your impression of KAB SL once get it spinning.

What is your budget for your phono pre?
    Doesn't your Tri-Vista offer a phono section? I would go with a high output MC cart before looking for a stand alone phonopre.

Whatchu think?

DPM
    Yes, my Tri-Vista integrated amp does have a phono stage, but the turntable is going into a secondary system in my computer room. Here, it will be mated with a Proceed PAV analog preamp, a Fostex CR300 Pro CD recorder, a Cal. Audio Labs Icon MK II (which is showing signs of imminent demise), a Creek OBH 11 headphone amp, and a pair of Sennheiser HD 650 headphones. (I also have a pair of Energy Ref. Con. 22 speakers, but I need to find an amp to power them.)

My plan for now is to find vinyl copies of recordings that have either never been released on CD or have been released but have gone out of print. I will then dub these in real time onto CDRW disks. These in turn will be dubbed in real time onto CDR disks. It is during this time that I will manually add track markers and edit out any long gaps between tracks.

The advantage of using CDRW disks during the LP transfer is I can ride the gain a bit to account for any volume differences between tracks. And if I overshoot the mark I won't have destroyed a CDR.

Regarding your first question, my budget for a phono preamp is fluctuating between $250.00 and $500.00. Right now the front runners are the Bellari VP 129, the Project Phono Box SE and the Project Tube Box II. All of these have a subsonic filter which is a MUST HAVE option in my book.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread Information