Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Funked the Rega

Forum Regular

What problem are you trying to solve?

Transmissivity of stylus tracing noise into the platter ?

Which implies transmissivity of floor or table noise that got into the platter then being transmitted into the record ?

How about a peek at "Noise & Vibration Control", Leo Beranek, graph on pg 412 for starters....

Or- better record to platter isolation?

Stylus tracing 'noise' from the record groove would seem to be very low.

Super Moderator Site Moderator JohnMichael's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Mash View Post
    Transmissivity of stylus tracing noise into the platter ?

Which implies transmissivity of floor or table noise that got into the platter then being transmitted into the record ?

How about a peek at "Noise & Vibration Control", Leo Beranek, graph on pg 412 for starters....

Or- better record to platter isolation?

Stylus tracing 'noise' from the record groove would seem to be very low.

Uh really I am just trying to have fun. There really is no master plan. Many years ago I bought the Rega Planar 2 for $450. A nice sounding budget tables with some excellent design. Then I began to discover aftermarket parts to improve the performance. I was hooked and wanted to see how much improvement various tweaks would offer.

Lately my interest has returned to platters after reading on several sites about Delrin. Of course seeing Clearaudio switch from acrylic to Delrin has furthered my interest. I read one review who said if you wanted to use acrylic on a Rega you will lose the ecitement and end up with a table sounding like a VPI. This new platter will probably be my last tweak since I cannot imagine anything else I can do for the table. Once I have taken it as far as it can go I will need to buy a new ttable.

Speaking of tweaks I need to get back to my latest. I had posted before about an edge in the high frequencies with the Achroplat. I use the Deepgroove subplatter but the Groove Tracer subplatter has three dots on it that look like rubber. Then I began to think if the Achroplat was designed with the idea of it resting on the Rega plastic subplatter? The Achroplat directly on the metal subplatter may not be the best idea. I bought some rubber bumpers used to protect tabletops from scratches. I placed 4 on the subplatter and then mounted the Achroplat. Whoops too tall and then I remembered thin corners on my Sanus Euro stands so I robbed some of them and put those on the subplatter.

Now I have changed the VTA a little and created a better interface than the Achroplat sitting directly on the Deepgroove subplatter. The hard edge of the highs seems to be gone. Of course I cannot say if it was the change in VTA or the damping between platter and subplatter. Interesting tweak to raise the platter instead of the arm for VTA. Ringmat had a system where they supplied discs with their mat to raise the record on the platter to tweak VTA.

Yes I have fun with my Rega.
    JohnMichael
    Vinyl Rega Planar 2, Incognito rewire, Deepgroove subplatter, ceramic bearing, Michell Technoweight, Rega 24V motor, TTPSU, FunkFirm Achroplat platter, Michael Lim top and bottom braces, 2 Rega feet and one RDC cones. Grado Sonata, Moon 110 LP phono.
    Digital
    Sony SCD-XA5400ES SACD/cd SID mat, Marantz SA 8001
    Int. Amp Krell S-300i
    Speaker
    Monitor Audio RS6
    Cables
    AQ SPKR and AQ XLR and IC

Photo's from yesterday showing the triangles I added to the subplatter and also the elevation of the platter.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Funked the Rega-001-smaller.jpg   Funked the Rega-003-smaller.jpg  
    JohnMichael
    Vinyl Rega Planar 2, Incognito rewire, Deepgroove subplatter, ceramic bearing, Michell Technoweight, Rega 24V motor, TTPSU, FunkFirm Achroplat platter, Michael Lim top and bottom braces, 2 Rega feet and one RDC cones. Grado Sonata, Moon 110 LP phono.
    Digital
    Int. Amp Krell S-300i
    Speaker
    Monitor Audio RS6
    Cables

I think the black dots on the GrooveTracer subplatter are made of Delrin. I can't remember where I got that impression, though.

Forum Regular

So you have two possible causes for the change ?

VTA and damping/isolation introduced between the platter & subplatter...

Reset the VTA to original and then you will have a better idea. If the cart had been flat w/r/t the record then a mirror may help.

There are many types, shapes, and durometer of 'rubber' you could try but I would answer the VTA question first.

There is no VTA adjustment on Rega arms. Any VTA is adjusted using spacers. I have spent the day listening to many records and the table is sounding it's best. I guess it does not matter why it is sounding so good since I am leaving it this way. Now if I were to change cartridges more experimentation might be needed.

I may have reached the ttables peak.
    JohnMichael
    Digital
    Int. Amp Krell S-300i
    Speaker
    Monitor Audio RS6
    Cables

I should mention that my tonearm is directly on the plinth without the use of spacers. To the best of my knowledge all the aftermarket VTA adjusters would raise the arm a little when installed. I cannot due the tail down method unless I countersunk the hole.
    JohnMichael
    Digital
    Int. Amp Krell S-300i
    Speaker
    Monitor Audio RS6
    Cables

You must have the world's most-upgraded Planar 2. Have you considered the white belt? It actually made a bit of a difference for me.

Quote Originally Posted by 02audionoob View Post
    You must have the world's most-upgraded Planar 2. Have you considered the white belt? It actually made a bit of a difference for me.

I just took the white belt off. When I was tweaking I realized the belt was stretched. I bought it when they were first announced so I had it on the table for about 4 years. I had a belt with a few months use when I received the white belt and that is what I am using now. When I order the new motor I am going to order a new white belt.
    JohnMichael
    Digital
    Int. Amp Krell S-300i
    Speaker
    Monitor Audio RS6
    Cables

I have seen some guys ordering white belts for Music Hall tables. So whats the deal with white belts?
    Music...let it into your soul and be moved....with Canton...Pure Music

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    W10 i5 Quad core processor 8GB RAM/Jriver 20/ Fidelizer Optimizer/ iFI Micro DSD DAC-iUSB 3.0/Vincent SA - T1/Vincent SP-331 MK /MMF-7.1/2M BLACK/MS Phenomena ll+/Canton Vento 830.2

Quote Originally Posted by frenchmon View Post
    I have seen some guys ordering white belts for Music Hall tables. So whats the deal with white belts?

The Rega white belt is more precisely made and with purer materials. Also the belt is said to last longer.
    JohnMichael
    Digital
    Int. Amp Krell S-300i
    Speaker
    Monitor Audio RS6
    Cables

I installed the new motor and after adding a spacer to the bearing well I removed the rubber triangles that were supporting the Achroplat. Sounds good with the today's mod and the Funk Firm platter. Soon I will reorder the white belt.
    JohnMichael
    Digital
    Int. Amp Krell S-300i
    Speaker
    Monitor Audio RS6
    Cables

Now that I am using the Achroplat again I decided to retry my record weight. In the past I could not decide if it was that much of an improvement. Now with the 110LP and the lower vibration motor it was easy to hear the benefit of the weight.

The weight really couples the record to the Achroplat. The weight adds a pound in weight but the Achroplat is much lighter than the glass platter so I am not worried about excessive bearing wear.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Funked the Rega-007-smaller.jpg  
    Last edited by JohnMichael; 05-15-2012 at 06:28 PM.
    JohnMichael
    Digital
    Int. Amp Krell S-300i
    Speaker
    Monitor Audio RS6
    Cables

Quote Originally Posted by JohnMichael View Post
    Now that I am using the Achroplat again I decided to retry my record weight. In the past I could not decide if it was that much of an improvement. Now with the 110LP and the lower vibration motor it was easy to hear the benefit of the weight.

The weight really couples the record to the Achroplat. The weight adds a pound in weight but the Achroplat is much lighter than the glass platter so I am not worried about excessive bearing wear.

JM...speaking of your 110LP, this guy seems to really like it. This is a conversation over on the "audio circle" forum. when he speaks of "MFP" he is speaking of a local audio shop here in St. Louis called "Music For Plesure".

I currently have a Rega RP3/TTPSU and Dynavector 20x2H. I have been through some issues with both the Rega and the DV cartridge: my second DV has now failed, my first Rega TTPSU was bad and caused problems that resulted in my P3-24 getting replaced with a RP3. MFP have taken care of me each time, but now I have shell-shock and want something else.

I auditioned their Clearaudio Concept with the Concept MC cartridge in my home system. I have the Simaudio Moon 110LP, which is their $600 phono stage. The Concept sounded great to me and certainly not worse than the RP3/DV I have now. However, the Moon 110LP works better with high output MC or MM, so I want something high output, rather than replacing my phono stage. I really like the Moon. It sounds better than the Dynavector phono stage I compared it to.

In addition, the Concept didn't interact with my room the way the Rega does (the RP3 and my sub do not seem to get along very well, so the Rega is going). So in the end I was ready to replace the table with a Concept, but now have decided to kick it up a notch with the Performance SEP. The Maestro Wood fills the bill for me as a high output cartridge. I will be taking a chance with it unheard, but people I trust have said if I liked the Concept MC I'll like the Maestro Wood even better. I did like the Concept MC a lot. It's just that my phono stage is not optimal for it.

Their Octave stuff sounds excellent. I auditioned it before upgrading my Naim gear (driving Dynaudio Contour S1.4). I could have gone either way.
    Just thought I'd share that info about the 110LP. I hear nothing but good things about that phono stage.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    W10 i5 Quad core processor 8GB RAM/Jriver 20/ Fidelizer Optimizer/ iFI Micro DSD DAC-iUSB 3.0/Vincent SA - T1/Vincent SP-331 MK /MMF-7.1/2M BLACK/MS Phenomena ll+/Canton Vento 830.2

JM...speaking of your 110LP, this guy seems to really like it. This is a conversation over on the "audio circle" forum. when he speaks of "MFP" he is speaking of a local audio shop here in St. Louis called "Music For Plesure".

Just thought I'd share that info about the 110LP. I hear nothing but good things about that phono stage.

Thanks Frenchmon for the info. I thought it was good. When you have not heard a wide range of other equipment it is nice to hear others think the same.
    Last edited by JohnMichael; 05-16-2012 at 01:31 AM.
    JohnMichael
    Digital
    Int. Amp Krell S-300i
    Speaker
    Monitor Audio RS6
    Cables

As I mentioned in another thread the FF Achroplat is out and the Rega glass is back. I am topping the glass platter with the Ringmat Goldspot mat. The increased accuracy and stability provided by the combo of 24v HP motor and the Rega TT PSU allowed me to hear what was happening upstream. The music sounded very dry with the Achroplat. The midrange became dull and lifeless. What at first seemed focused and clean was music that was cleaned of life.
    JohnMichael
    Digital
    Int. Amp Krell S-300i
    Speaker
    Monitor Audio RS6
    Cables

I'm glad you posted this update. I have occasionally wondered about the other platter materials that are available but suspected something would be lost. Sometimes you have to live with a change for a while before you can truly assess it. Your assessment probably closes the door on any future thoughts about platter changes on my Rega, if it wasn't closed already.

Quote Originally Posted by 02audionoob View Post
    I'm glad you posted this update. I have occasionally wondered about the other platter materials that are available but suspected something would be lost. Sometimes you have to live with a change for a while before you can truly assess it. Your assessment probably closes the door on any future thoughts about platter changes on my Rega, if it wasn't closed already.

Yes I am finished with platter changes. Rega got it right with the glass platter. I am using a mat other than the felt. Now with the ttable sounding as good as it does any money spent will be for vinyl.
    JohnMichael
    Digital
    Int. Amp Krell S-300i
    Speaker
    Monitor Audio RS6
    Cables

Well good for you JM! You have your record player sounding right. Time to buy new records. So now that that is out of the way, Whats your next move down the road? Do you have speakers in your view? New cabling? Im sure you got a tweak or two in you to be placed some place? Im sure after a while you will come up with something. I'm sure its in your blood JM.

Well good for you JM! You have your record player sounding right. Time to buy new records. So now that that is out of the way, Whats your next move down the road? Do you have speakers in your view? New cabling? Im sure you got a tweak or two in you to be placed some place? Im sure after a while you will come up with something. I'm sure its in your blood JM.

The only thing I want to tweak now is my schedule. I would love to have more time to listen to my tweaked Rega.
    JohnMichael
    Digital
    Int. Amp Krell S-300i
    Speaker
    Monitor Audio RS6
    Cables

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread Information