Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4
    Forum Regular

My "bias" is SET tube amps

I've heard many tube amps but the Single Ended Triodes ( S.E.T.) are my favorites. They only make a few watts and require high efficiency speakers but those few watts are just magical. I hope to have a 300B someday but for now I'm pretty happy with my modded MiniWatt. I can't wait to read the reviews on the new MW below.

http://www.aloaudio.com/store/index....roducts_id=401

Suspended
    Is Nikko any good? I saw a pre & power set on craigslist some time back and wondered if I might have passed something up.

Quote Originally Posted by Poultrygeist
    I've heard many tube amps but the Single Ended Triodes ( S.E.T.) are my favorites. They only make a few watts and require high efficiency speakers but those few watts are just magical. I hope to have a 300B someday but for now I'm pretty happy with my modded MiniWatt. I can't wait to read the reviews on the new MW below.

http://www.aloaudio.com/store/index....roducts_id=401

A few watts! I want an amp that will dim the neighbors lights!
    Pass Labs X250 amp, BAT Vk-51se Preamp,
    Thorens TD-145 TT, Bellari phono preamp, Nagaoka MP-200 Cartridge
    Magnepan QR1.6 speakers
    Luxman DA-06 DAC
    Van Alstine Ultra Plus Hybrid Tube DAC
    Dual Martin Logan Original Dynamo Subs
    Parasound A21 amp
    Vintage Luxman T-110 tuner
    Magnepan MMG's, Grant Fidelity DAC-11, Class D CDA254 amp
    Monitor Audio S1 speakers, PSB B6 speakers
    Vintage Technic's Integrated amp
    Music Hall 25.2 CDP
    Adcom GFR 700 AVR
    Cables- Cardas, Silnote, BJC
    Velodyne CHT 8 sub

Quote Originally Posted by mlsstl
    Feanor, here's the gut-rebuild of a Dynaco ST70 I did last year. I bought a junked up non-working ST70 for $80. The only things still original are the chassis and the two output transformers. (Turned out the power transformer was on its last leg and had to be replaced, but that part was one of the weakest points of the original Dynaco design.)

It uses the Triode Electronics driver board with 6L6GC outputs. I use it in a second system and just love it. I know the EL34 has a cult following, but, for me, the 6L6GCs are a serious improvement.

Looks great!

Suspended
    I'm with you Blackraven. It's nice you can get a few watts to listening level but I like to know I have watts to spare if I need them.

Ajani
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Peabody
    I'm with you Blackraven. It's nice you can get a few watts to listening level but I like to know I have watts to spare if I need them.
    I think for a second or third system a few watts would be fine... But for the main I still prefer a monster watt amp....

We all like having big wattage amps ... it just makes us feel better haha

Forum Regular
    I too was in the "power race" for years and spent lots of money before I discovered there was a better path toward achieving the sound I craved. After hearing an SET for the first time I sold my high power Classe amp and haven't looked back.

I thought the Classe sounded great but I had no basis for comparison. Looking back I realize that the other 149 watts sucked because it's first watt sucked!

Power is relative as my 2.5 watt SET can drive a pair of back loaded horns to ear bleed levels.

"I think for a second or third system a few watts would be fine" - The GM 70 makes around 12 watts and would work fine in a second or third system but at $35K it may cost more than the bedroom. It will also heat your house and trip your breakers.

Some of the most expensive watts in the world are SET watts.

Vinyl Fundamentalist Forums Moderator poppachubby's Avatar
    I agree with Poultry. With high efficiency speakers, 40 watts of tube power is very loud. I like to rattle the walls every now and again. My CDP with my current configuration has deafening sound levels, while maintaining a great sound.

If any of you tube lovers would like to know, I am buying an Eico HF 85 preamp with original tubes and re-capping for $100 CDN!!! These sell for 3-4 times that amount with original tubes. Even has the manual. Deal of a lifetime. They are a rural family selling it off, really nice people, thus the really nice price.

Combined with the Golden Tube, I'm in for some sweet sounding music. I now have a power/pre combination that is a giant killing machine. A couple of lifetime pieces, I can rest easy now...

BTW Feanor, let's wait another week or so until I pick the pre up. i would like to hear the combo through the Maggies.

Quote Originally Posted by Ajani
    I think for a second or third system a few watts would be fine... But for the main I still prefer a monster watt amp....
    The trick is whether or not the first watt is good. I first learned that lesson with the AR integrated amp long ago. Sounded fine at high levels, but fell apart at low levels. Along the way, I discovered the Conrad-Johnson MV-75A fell into the same category. I remember having high hopes for it as that was an affordable amp back in the 70s. Resolution disappeared at low output.

My trusty old Threshold does very well at the bottom. The simple class A voltage amp handles power to about 2 watts per channel (4 ohms) where the current mirror takes it up to 200 per channel. With the double New Advents, I get pretty loud output at 4 watts. Driven directly by a pair of 12AU7s in the Manley DAC, the result is sweet. I find that well executed simple designs sound better than more complex designs having more gain stages, feedback, etc.

rw

Quote Originally Posted by Poultrygeist
    ...but for now I'm pretty happy with my modded MiniWatt. I can't wait to read the reviews on the new MW below.
    VTL proved long ago that you could get great sound using EL84s in triode. Their Tiny Triodes have enjoyed quite a following. Every once in a while, they appear on Audiogon and are quickly sold.

rw

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4

Thread Information