Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Ajani
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Peabody
    I believe if I was to mix a system with tubes and solid state biamping would be the way to go with SS on the bottom and tubes on top.
    I believe that is the most common way to mix the two (and probably the most sensible as you get the benefits of both and minimize the negatives of each)...

Actually, my favourite small to medium room setup used a hybrid integrated (tube pre and SS power)....

Ajani
    Quote Originally Posted by BallinWithNash
    I have used the search bar and couldn't find anything to really answer my question and searched around on google. The only thing every one keeps saying is that they sound warmer. Define warmer, I mean are they not really bright? Is there any other reason for buying a tube amp other than they sound warmer?

Thank you in advance, BWN
    As you can probably tell from all the responses in this thread, there are benefits to either tube or SS... and of course you could always mix and match...

Hardcore tube fans (like my arch-nemesis, PoppaC ) find that tubes smoke SS... On the other hand, diehard SS fans think the exact opposite... some of us like both... so you really need to try them for yourself to determine which is right for you...

Something that I don't think has been mentioned in this thread is price range... If I'm not mistaken, decent tube setups aren't cheap, so it's usually easier to find competent SS amplification on a limited budget... also you need to factor in the possible cost to replace any worn out or defective tubes (assuming they aren't covered under warranty)...

Suspended
    Splitting hairs but with biamping you'd get a straight tube top end and the bottom would be similar to hybrid, where a hybrid is, well hybrid, on both top and bottom. I feel a hybrid although maybe coming close still isn't going to give the midrange magic a straight tube presentation will.

Alright guys, So I am definitely going to go listen to tube amps when I get more $$$ to upgrade because it seems like mostly everyone agrees that they give the midrange a magical experience. As for now I am content with my Marantz 2240 and I was thinking about mixing the two when bi-amping (SS and tube) but I wasn't sure about it but you guys covered that for me so thank you! In the near future you will see me posting questions about which tube amp/speakers to buy that will complement each other haha. And Mr.P a turntable for your car? I have heard of no such thing.

Suspended
    Yeah, you think texting is a bear while driving try flipping an album side. Pot holes are a challenge too.

Turntable for your car

Vinyl Fundamentalist Forums Moderator poppachubby's Avatar
    You have any isolation techniques for that noob? Actually never mind...that redneck looks pretty happy with the sound.

"Gee Ma, listen to this here fidelity. Yeeehaw!!"

Alright guys, So I am definitely going to go listen to tube amps when I get more $$$ to upgrade because it seems like mostly everyone agrees that they give the midrange a magical experience. As for now I am content with my Marantz 2240 and I was thinking about mixing the two when bi-amping (SS and tube) but I wasn't sure about it but you guys covered that for me so thank you! In the near future you will see me posting questions about which tube amp/speakers to buy that will complement each other haha. And Mr.P a turntable for your car? I have heard of no such thing.
    Hey man, talk to Nash and have him take you to some local shops with tube amps. Have a listen. It doesn't have to cost big money for tubes, especially if you go the pre-amp route. Grant Fidelity and Pacific Valve are 2 great online retailers who sell some great chinese gear for cheap. BTW, your Marantz is an amazing machine, never sell it. You could input a great tube pre instead...

http://grantfidelity.com/site/P307 .....$350 Pre-Amp

http://grantfidelity.com/site/sheng_...ated_amplifier ...$500 Hybrid

http://www.pacificvalve.us/YSAudioSymphR.html ...$561 Pre-Amp

http://www.pacificvalve.us/BDC222.html ...$700 Amp

Quote Originally Posted by poppachubby
    You have any isolation techniques for that noob? Actually never mind...that redneck looks pretty happy with the sound.

"Gee Ma, listen to this here fidelity. Yeeehaw!!"
    Suppose my 02audiopods could handle the highways?

I think that "redneck" is Lawrence Welk.

Quote Originally Posted by poppachubby
    Too bad the otherwise nice design is ruined by the cheap writing atop the transformer.

RGA
    Forum Regular
    To go along with Grant Fidelity the tube DAC-09 is on sale for $300. I have completed my review and sooner or later it will be up on the dagogo website.

It's not as interesting to look at as some but it is a very good jack of all trades device - it can be used as an external DAC for a cd player or for computers (as it also has USB connections) it is a full function preamplifier (can use the DAC at the same time) and can be used in either tube or Solid State mode. Very well built for the money and a high degree of functionality. I had both the silver and black units in for review - I prefer it in black.

http://grantfidelity.com/site/Grant_...ty_Tube_DAC-09

It also served nicely as a preamp for the Shengya PM 150 monoblocks. Though it's better as a dac than a preamp, you have to factor in the price. It's a nice cheap way to get into tubes and it will improve virtually any budget cd player. It greatly improved my mega changer making it something worth listening to and it also improved my $800 Cambridge single disc CD-6 player. As a DAC alone it's worth the money. Throw in a pretty decent preamp and a headphone amp and USB DAC it's all gravy.

Haha ok I have now seen a turntable in a car ... and poppa yea that Marantz aint going anywhere haha ... I love that thing way to much to even think about parting with it. And yea poppa you are right I could go pre out with my Marantz into a tube setup.

Haha ok I have now seen a turntable in a car ... and poppa yea that Marantz aint going anywhere haha ... I love that thing way to much to even think about parting with it. And yea poppa you are right I could go pre out with my Marantz into a tube setup.
    ...or pre in...

Quote Originally Posted by 02audionoob
    Sure, I remember that. They were offered in Chrysler products for a couple of years circa 1959. A really stupid idea that didn't last long -- can you imaging the tracking force that must have been necessary?? Scarely.

I never heard one myself.

Splitting hairs but with biamping you'd get a straight tube top end and the bottom would be similar to hybrid, where a hybrid is, well hybrid, on both top and bottom. I feel a hybrid although maybe coming close still isn't going to give the midrange magic a straight tube presentation will.
    Are there no hybrids that have tube pre-pros and hybrid tube/SS amps? If not, I think we just found a new market.
    WARNING! - The Surgeon General has determined that, time spent listening to music is not deducted from one's lifespan.

Suspended
    Quote Originally Posted by GMichael
    Are there no hybrids that have tube pre-pros and hybrid tube/SS amps? If not, I think we just found a new market.
    Counterpoint amps of the NPS line have tube in and ss out. Too late!

Quote Originally Posted by Hyfi
    Counterpoint amps of the NPS line have tube in and ss out. Too late!
    But are there any with tube in, and tube & SS out?
    WARNING! - The Surgeon General has determined that, time spent listening to music is not deducted from one's lifespan.

Ajani
    Are you talking about a Tube Pre with a Tube amp for the mid and high frequencies and either a SS or hybrid amp for the low end?

That sounds like a coherence nightmare.... Just my opinion but I really don't believe you can get a coherent sound if you treat High, Mids and Lows so differently...

Suspended
    But are there any with tube in, and tube & SS out?
    I got ya now, no my bad.

Suspended
    The turntable thing started out as a joke but..... who knew.....

Quote Originally Posted by Ajani
    Are you talking about a Tube Pre with a Tube amp for the mid and high frequencies and either a SS or hybrid amp for the low end?

That sounds like a coherence nightmare.... Just my opinion but I really don't believe you can get a coherent sound if you treat High, Mids and Lows so differently...
    Would this be a lot different than all those speakers that have plate amps driving their own woofers? I'm sure it's not easy to get right, but who does things the easy way around here?

Would this be a lot different than all those speakers that have plate amps driving their own woofers? I'm sure it's not easy to get right, but who does things the easy way around here?
    Good point, GM.

I would say it isn't any different. Nor do I share Ajani's concern about coherence; I'd say a lot of people who biamp or triamp do, in fact, mix amp technologies.

Ajani
    I doubt it would be much different, nor do I think it would be too much different from speakers that use totally different materials for tweeters, mids and woofers (such as aluminum, kevlar and paper)... It's just my opinion, but I've never found such combinations wholly convincing....

Quote Originally Posted by Feanor
    Sure, I remember that. They were offered in Chrysler products for a couple of years circa 1959. A really stupid idea that didn't last long -- can you imaging the tracking force that must have been necessary?? Scarely.

I never heard one myself.
    ...and Highway Hi-Fi, as it was called, was not only a stupid idea...it used a very limited series of proprietary records from Columbia/CBS.

Quote Originally Posted by Ajani
    I doubt it would be much different, nor do I think it would be too much different from speakers that use totally different materials for tweeters, mids and woofers (such as aluminum, kevlar and paper)... It's just my opinion, but I've never found such combinations wholly convincing....
    I'm sure it's a two edged sword. Harder to do, but more flexable if done right.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread Information