Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Suspended

What exactly does an amp do ?

I recently celebrated my 17th birthday and HT has become a huge hobby of mines. I've recently put my first HT system together piece by piece and im very proud of it but my question is what is an amp for and will it contribute to my receiver and speakers. Will it give my receiver more noticeable power? Will my speakers sound significantly better ? Will it make a huge difference in my surround and stereo sound for the better ? And what do I look for in a starters amp for the applications listed above ? Please help

Suspended
    Quote Originally Posted by Dmax
    I recently celebrated my 17th birthday and HT has become a huge hobby of mines. I've recently put my first HT system together piece by piece and im very proud of it but my question is what is an amp for and will it contribute to my receiver and speakers. Will it give my receiver more noticeable power? Will my speakers sound significantly better ? Will it make a huge difference in my surround and stereo sound for the better ? And what do I look for in a starters amp for the applications listed above ? Please help
    I guess we're to big to educate a 17 year old novice trying to learn more about amps and how they benefit our HT systems.Thanks guys I guess I'll just have to find a real learning source other you snobs that feel you're to advanced to answer a question like this. Moderators are you listening, can you at least help ?

You want a good source?

You've been here for a while now and I'm pretty sure this subject has (these subjects have) come up in various threads over that period of time. Sometimes, the search function can provide exactly the answer you are looking for although you might have to read a few posts.

This place has wunnerful FAQ's and various other areas whereby one can read, absorb and thereby learn.

http://www.audioholics.com/

Remember, most of us here have learned either by experience, reading, or both. Not just by posting in a web site and waiting for others to do all the work for us. I'm sure you can do it too, should you choose.

it's about the music
    Whoa dude give them a break! this isnt what you call a high-traffic forum. If you're looking to get your questions answered within the hour, you're in the wrong place. better try audio asylum for that, for example. but i find that's massified, and every thread seems to turn into a flame war before the 5th post.
    So, concerning your question...
    Basically an poweramp is a fixed-gain amplification stage, usually at around 29-30 Db of amplification.
    this means it'll take a line-level signal and boost it by that fixed amount. In your case, this signal is provided by the reciever's pre-outs. The real deal with amps is that since they are dedicated, they tend to have VERY big power supplies that can supply the juice needed to drive inneficient speakers to loud levels without clipping or sounding compressed. this means that explosions will just sound "better" because the extra power provides a lot of headroom, which in turn means that the amp isnt struggling to send the needed current to the speakers.
    Besides the power issue, they can also sound better than your reciever if the amp design is better, or if its built with better quality parts.
    Will it make a noticeable improvement? you'll never get an answer to this one. Some people say that amps that measure the same sound the same. Basically ALL solid state amps beyond a hundred clams nowadays measure the same, or very close, so basically let your ears do the listening. they tend to help much more if you're driving low-impedance, low-sensitivity speakers.
    Will it make a HUGE difference? i'd be willing to bet it wont make a huge difference. It might make some difference. LISTEN LISTEN LISTEN!!
    i hope this "educated" you
    btw i'm 19
    Cheers!
    I remember the days when I thought 128kbps sounded great and had never spent more than 10 bucks on cables...

I guess we're to big to educate a 17 year old novice trying to learn more about amps and how they benefit our HT systems.Thanks guys I guess I'll just have to find a real learning source other you snobs that feel you're to advanced to answer a question like this. Moderators are you listening, can you at least help ?
    OK smartass, did you consider that when you made your first post, it was only 7am on the West Coast?

I have a question for you: Why should any of the knowledgeable members here be inclined to help some snot nosed kid suffering from ADD that whines when he doesn't receive a response on his timetable?

You're lucky there are those more charitable than I on this forum.

17? Are you sure that wasn't a typo? 7 seems more apropos.

Suspended
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaboom
    Whoa dude give them a break! this isnt what you call a high-traffic forum. If you're looking to get your questions answered within the hour, you're in the wrong place. better try audio asylum for that, for example. but i find that's massified, and every thread seems to turn into a flame war before the 5th post.
    So, concerning your question...
    Basically an poweramp is a fixed-gain amplification stage, usually at around 29-30 Db of amplification.
    this means it'll take a line-level signal and boost it by that fixed amount. In your case, this signal is provided by the reciever's pre-outs. The real deal with amps is that since they are dedicated, they tend to have VERY big power supplies that can supply the juice needed to drive inneficient speakers to loud levels without clipping or sounding compressed. this means that explosions will just sound "better" because the extra power provides a lot of headroom, which in turn means that the amp isnt struggling to send the needed current to the speakers.
    Besides the power issue, they can also sound better than your reciever if the amp design is better, or if its built with better quality parts.
    Will it make a noticeable improvement? you'll never get an answer to this one. Some people say that amps that measure the same sound the same. Basically ALL solid state amps beyond a hundred clams nowadays measure the same, or very close, so basically let your ears do the listening. they tend to help much more if you're driving low-impedance, low-sensitivity speakers.
    Will it make a HUGE difference? i'd be willing to bet it wont make a huge difference. It might make some difference. LISTEN LISTEN LISTEN!!
    i hope this "educated" you
    btw i'm 19
    Cheers!
    Thank you so much Kaboom, I really appriciate you taking the time to explain this and markw .
    Last edited by Geoffcin; 02-02-2006 at 05:13 PM.

Thank you so much Kaboom, I really appriciate you taking the time to explain this and markw and topspeed go suck a @#%% and your mothers are #@!+%
    . Not cool dude!

Color me gone... Resident Loser's Avatar

Well...

Thank you so much Kaboom, I really appriciate you taking the time to explain this and markw and topspeed go suck a @#%% and your mothers are #@!+%
    ...aren't we a special little fellow?

I assume you are aware that amp is verbal shorthand for amplifier...and can we guess at what an amplifier does...well it amp-li-fies things...

Some might suggest that you buy a huge, powerful amp and wire the speaker outputs from your little HT receiver to the inputs of the huge, powerful amp...I mean what's better than bi-amping...power, power and more power...da bomb!!!

I wouldn't suggest it...it could really behave like da bomb...What I would suggest is that you stick your head back up your @$$, make yourself comfy while mommy gets you some hot milk and a cookie and then hold your breath until you get another answer nearly as nice and friendly as this one was.

jimHJJ(...aren't there age restrictions here of some sort...)
    Hello, I'm a misanthrope...don't ask me why, just take a good look around.

"Men would rather believe than know" -Sociobiology: The New Synthesis by Edward O. Wilson

"The great masses of the people...will more easily fall victims to a great lie than to a small one" -Adolph Hitler

"We are never deceived, we deceive ourselves" -Goethe

If you repeat a lie often enough, some will believe it to be the truth...

Quote Originally Posted by Resident Loser
    What I would suggest is that you stick your head back up your @$$, make yourself comfy while mommy gets you some hot milk and a cookie and then hold your breath until you get another answer nearly as nice and friendly as this one was.
    mmmph...

snicker...

snort...

bwaHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHA!!!

OMG! THAT was funny!!!

Wake up, Dude

Thank you so much Kaboom, I really appriciate you taking the time to explain this and markw and topspeed go suck a @#%% and your mothers are #@!+% ...

...I agree but if one doesnt have anything nice to say then dont say %@*#. Thinking you can look down and make smartass comments to a person because there asking questions that you know the answers to isnt any cooler. All the time these so called mature men took to bash me they could have just as well answered the question or simply not responded at all.
    I attempted to teach you to fish, not just sit on the dock begging for a handout. ...andin a fairly non-demeaning manner I believe.

...and then you go insulting me and my mother? Nice guy...

I guess you're simply not ready to think for yourself. Maybe when you grow up a little more I'll tty again but as long as you can beg handouts, why should you learn to think for yourself.

...come to think of it, I do believe you've had a similar outburst like this in the past, no? ..and with me even, no? Well, foolish me. That'll teach me to give ya another chance..
    Last edited by markw; 02-02-2006 at 06:41 PM.

I recently celebrated my 17th birthday and HT has become a huge hobby of mines.
    I'm not exactly sure how detailed an answer you seek. Yes, typically separate power amplifiers are qualitatively better than receivers and more power buys you headroom. I suggest you do some reading either on the 'net or the conventional way using books and magazines. By your age, I was already four years into the audio hobby and had a pretty nice system. I read a bunch, visited audio stores, and listened. And better learned who to read to achieve my goals.

As for response time to your query, quite a few of us work during the day to feed the habit.

rw

Silence of the spam Site Moderator Geoffcin's Avatar

No more flaming!

People are going to read this thread looking for info and find a flame war instead of info?

Got nothing to add, add nothing.

Dmax,

Here's some infor for you;

http://electronics.howstuffworks.com/amplifier3.htm

Now play nice with the locals.
    Audio;
    Ming Da MC34-AB 75wpc
    PS Audio Classic 250. 500wpc into 4 ohms.
    PS Audio 4.5 preamp,
    Marantz 6170 TT Shure M97e cart.
    Arcam Alpha 9 CD.- 24 bit dCS Ring DAC.
    Magnepan 3.6r speakers Oak/black,

Suspended
    Thanx Kaboom,E-Stat,and Geoffcin for the info. Im sorry for causing a stir ,I shall analyze myself while eating my milk and cookies in bed. Goodnight guys and once again thanx.

Actually.,,,

Quote Originally Posted by Geoffcin
    Got nothing to add, add nothing.
    Really? I do believe I set him on the path to enlightenment and all I got for it was insults directed to my mother and myself. ...and this after his whining about not getting an answer in less than three hours.

You may have edited it out of hispost but it's still there, quoted in other posts, if it doesn't get deleted also.

Nice guy... If this type of child is typical of the new audience you're aiming for it's fairly obvious why the posts are becoming fewer and fewer and the posts at other sites I frequent are getting more and more numerous. ...and will continue to do so. They simply don't tolerate this type of behavior.

Suspended
    Thanx Kaboom,E-Stat,and Geoffcin for the info. Im sorry for causing a stir ,I shall analyze myself while eating my milk and cookies in bed. Goodnight guys and once again thanx.
    Sweet dreams markw

Be sure to show this thread to your mother.

Sweet dreams markw
    I'm sure she would be proud of her little boy.

Wow...

You're actually proud of yourself, aren't ya?

I think I'll just post a link to this thread the next time you ask a question so everyone can see what a nice guy you are and will want to answer you, OK?
    Last edited by markw; 02-02-2006 at 07:38 PM.

Suspended
    Quote Originally Posted by markw
    You're actually proud of yourself, aren't ya?

I think I'll just post a link to this thread the next time you ask a question so everyone can see what a nice guy you are and will want to answer you, OK?
    Thats just mean! Im going to tell your wife on you,but first im going to tell your husband on you, OK ?

Dmax Take your hot milk,cookies ,blanky and go to bed.

I admit the kid was asking for it

Really? I do believe I set him on the path to enlightenment and all I got for it was insults directed to my mother and myself. ...and this after his whining about not getting an answer in less than three hours.

You may have edited it out of hispost but it's still there, quoted in other posts, if it doesn't get deleted also.

Nice guy... If this type of child is typical of the new audience you're aiming for it's fairly obvious why the posts are becoming fewer and fewer and the posts at other sites I frequent are getting more and more numerous. ...and will continue to do so. They simply don't tolerate this type of behavior.
    Does that mean you have to play along?
    Audio;
    Ming Da MC34-AB 75wpc
    PS Audio 4.5 preamp,

Thats just mean! Im going to tell your wife on you,but first im going to tell your husband on you, OK ?
    I asked you to play nice and you didn't. This time your suspenion is only one day. Next time it won't be.
    Audio;
    Ming Da MC34-AB 75wpc
    PS Audio 4.5 preamp,

Color me gone... Resident Loser's Avatar

Not fer nuttin'...

I asked you to play nice and you didn't. This time your suspenion is only one day. Next time it won't be.
    ...G, so please indulge me...brite-eyes has a history of this sort of behavior...but even without any other evidence, he/she/it has been around long enough to pick up on the basics, as markw (referred to as grandpa in one of the childs' earlier tirades BTW) rightly pointed out.

I don't think anyone here has a problem helping the noobs and if he/she/it had a join date of Dec. '05 and had posted a few Qs indicative of his learning-curve of the basics, there most likely wouldn't have been a problem...he, however, simply wants things served up on a silver platter without putting himself out or exhibiting any inclination to do some investigation, even when suggestions for the whereabouts of self-educational material AND links are provided...

This most recent episode simply typifies his "style"...asks a really bush-league question and then not given what he wants, when he wants it, goes off on a p!$$y sugar-jag, bad-mouthing everyone within earshot...that sort of thing probably works well with his over-indulgent mommy and daddy, so he thinks that same tactic will work everywhere.

I know when I try to answer most posts, when not dealing with the general stuff, I'm required to do some research for particulars re: specific makes and models, etc. While it can be a learing experience for me, it takes time and effort. Perhaps we all should check out the "join date/number of posts" info, and if the question seems untoward in light of that info, either not bother to respond or check out the "view profile/find all posts" option of the poster to see if it's worth our while.

Should we "play along" and simply appear to be a part of the problem? Probably not, but at his age, everyone, everywhere should learn there ain't no free lunch and every action has the potential for an equal but opposite reaction.

jimHJJ(...thanks...)
    Hello, I'm a misanthrope...don't ask me why, just take a good look around.

"Men would rather believe than know" -Sociobiology: The New Synthesis by Edward O. Wilson

"The great masses of the people...will more easily fall victims to a great lie than to a small one" -Adolph Hitler

"We are never deceived, we deceive ourselves" -Goethe

If you repeat a lie often enough, some will believe it to be the truth...

Not necessarily.

Does that mean you have to play along?
    I don't know how you feel about it but I don't take too kindly to some snip insulting me and my mother publicly, particularly when I tried to help him. Heck, I was even fairly light on him in my second entry here and tried to point out whre he might have misunderstood my post. ..and he just thought it was a joke.

It seems the moderators did, too. By y'all simply giving him the answer he wanted, that implied (to me, at least) that y'all had no problems with the way he conducted himself and had more of a problem with the responses he received.

Yes, you DID edit out the most offensive parts of his rant but, by you moderators neglecting to admonish him for his actions, you simply gave him your tacit approval and encouraged his actions, as evidenced by his subsequent posts.

Remember, there are mainly two types of people on these sites. Those that exist to ask questions and those that answer them. This is the only one I can recall that always asks questions and truly believes that the answers are owed to him and, as is the case here, in a timely fashion. When he don't get the easy answers or gets them quicky enough,he feels he has the right to be rude.

Youth is no excuse for his actions. There are other young people on this forum who conduct themselves with dignity. Poor upbringing, possibly, but that's not something we should have to deal with.

I thought it was up to the moderators to "moderate" the behaviour on this site, not encourage anti-social behaviour. This wasn't his first outburst and, believe me, it won't be his last. You don't need his kind here.
    Last edited by markw; 02-03-2006 at 12:43 PM.

I gave him no such approval

I don't know how you feel about it but I don't take too kindly to some snip insulting me and my mother publicly, particularly when I tried to help him. Heck, I was even fairly light on him in my isecond entry here. ..and he just thought it was a joke.

Itseems the moderators did, too. By your simply giving him the answer he wanted, that implied (to me, at least) that y'all had no problems with the way he handled himself and had more of a problem with the responses he received.

Yes, you DID edit out the most offensive parts of his rant but, by you moderators neglecting to admonish him for his actions, you simply gave him your tacit approval and encouraged his actions, as evidenced by his subsequent posts.

Youth is no excuse for his actions. There are other young people on this forum who conduct themselves with dignity. Poor upbringing, possibly, but that's not something we should have to deal with. I thought it was up to the moderators to "moderate" the behaviour on this site, not encourage anti-social behaviour.

This wasn't his first outburst and, believe me, it won't be his last. You don't need his kind here.
    I told him to behave, and he didn't, so he drew a suspension. I don't hand those out often.

Still, this could have been a decent thread, it's got a good title.
    Audio;
    Ming Da MC34-AB 75wpc
    PS Audio 4.5 preamp,

Ya think?

I told him to behave, and he didn't, so he drew a suspension. I don't hand those out often..
    Apparently you weren't clear enough in communicating your displeasure to him. It certainly appeared he was proud of involving the mods here, which was his stated goal in post 2. Cry enough and be abusive enough until he gets the attention he wanted. Yep, you sure told him, all right.

Still, this could have been a decent thread, it's got a good title.
    Yeah, it coulda been a contenda, at least until his second post less than three hours after the first one when he started betch slapping everyone in earshot and started begging for the moderators to save his poor, innocent, defenseless arse.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information