Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Quote Originally Posted by markw
    Apparently you weren't clear enough in communicating your displeasure to him. It certainly appeared he was proud of involving the mods here, which was his stated goal in post 2. Cry enough and be abusive enough until he gets the attention he wanted. Yep, you sure told him, all right.
    Geoff deleted one of his completely inappropriate posts. If he doesn't get the message from that, then he will find all his posts suddenly missing.

rw

rw, while I can see what you're trying to say, I still think you added to the problem

Quote Originally Posted by E-Stat
    Geoff deleted one of his completely inappropriate posts. If he doesn't get the message from that, then he will find all his posts suddenly missing.

rw
    When you first made your appearance in this thread, he had already cursed out us and our mothers. You simply complied to his demand for moderator intervention by answering the original question* and totally ignored his rude outburst in a prior post. If that's not "tacit approval" of such behaviour, then I don't know what is.

When dealing with children, negative behaviour should be corrected, not ignored, much less rewarded.

*The funny thing is that your answer was not a whole lot different than mine.

When you first made your appearance in this thread, he had already cursed out us and our mothers.
    Were you ever 17 once?

You simply complied to his demand for moderator intervention by answering the original question* and totally ignored his rude outburst in a prior post.
    Fortunately, I rarely need to intervene as a moderator. I was responding to the question just as another guy. I prefer to lead by example.

Geoff has already smacked him. Let's wait and see the results...

Hopefully he realizes that you were offering help.

rw

Was I ever 17? Yes, once a long, long time ago in a galaxy far, far away.

LBJ was president. IT was "the summer of Love". Viet Nam was on. I just got my license and drove an old '57 Dodge with no floorboards to speak of.

I had been reading Audio, High Fidelity and Stereo Review for several years now.

Over the previous few years I had also taught myself, with the help of the library and some donor TV's and radios, basic electronics and had a small business repairing these things.

I had built a 6L6 based amp a few years prior as a learning exercise and, on my 15the birthday, broke down and bought a Lafayette stereo (LA-224A, Garrard AT-60 and Criterion 50 speakers).

I graduated high school at 17. I sold stereos for EJ Korvettes as my first full time job. Within two years I was managing the audio concession in Macy's/Bamberger's for the Tandy corp. and bought a 4 year old Jaguar with my own money and paid my own insurance..

I didn't ask strangers for the answers to all my questions and then shiit on them because they weren't fast enough or complete enough. This must be something endemic to this new generation where one can be as big a rude, obnoxious baby and hide behind the anonymity of the internet.

I put the Gee in Gear.... thekid's Avatar
    The recent unpleasantness aside.......

My Sony sub ( SA-WM200 )has a 75-watt built in amp. I have a Pioneer VSX-815 which produces plenty of volume for the room but would I gain anything by running the speakers through the sub and then out to the receiver?

I'd like my answer in the next 5 minutes.......
    Sorry could not resist a little poke.........

Boy, Kid, you do like to live dangerously, doncha?

Quote Originally Posted by thekid

My Sony sub ( SA-WM200 )has a 75-watt built in amp. I have a Pioneer VSX-815 which produces plenty of volume for the room but would I gain anything by running the speakers through the sub and then out to the receiver?

Is your first name "Johnny"?

Seriously, if you are running your speakers as "small" I wouldn't expect much difference. If you DO choose to experiment with this then set your receiver's sub output to "off" and run your front mains as "large" or "full range", whatever it takes. this way the sub's internal crossover will do the LFE.

As far as strain on the amp, while yes, it WILL be producing the full range through it, but the way these powered subs work is that it will present a fairly high impedance at the low frequencies to your amp so it won't be straining as much as you might think.

It's kinda like having a tandem bike with a big guy on the back who only peddles on the inclines.

Is your first name "Johnny"?

Seriously, if you are running your speakers as "small" I wouldn't expect much difference. If you DO choose to experiment with this then set your receiver's sub output to "off" and run your front mains as "large" or "full range", whatever it takes. this way the sub's internal crossover will do the LFE.

As far as strain on the amp, while yes, it WILL be producing the full range through it, but the way these powered subs work is that it will present a fairly high impedance at the low frequencies to your amp so it won't be straining as much as you might think.

It's kinda like having a tandem bike with a big guy on the back who only peddles on the inclines.
    Thanks MarkW.

I do run my current set up as small since they are only bookshelf speakers.
    I think I will just leave well enough alone as far running things through the sub.
    I am going to soon upgrade to a new sub with a 250-watt built in amp so I assume your advice would still stand.

I have been debating adding a stand alone amp but for the price range ($100-$200) I can afford it probably is money best saved for something else.

Despite all that has been going on in this post I do appreciate the info and feedback from you and the other AV vets on this site.

Thanks, Kid

Despite all that has been going on in this post I do appreciate the info and feedback from you and the other AV vets on this site.
    It's nice to know that we're appreciated. Everyone here participates voluntarily and yet some persist on acting as if they paid a fee for professional services and demand instant, personalized service.

We know that it only takes one or two rotten apples to spoil the whole barrel but that doesn't mean we'll (well, me at least) will just simply sit back and take it from those few.

Silence of the spam Site Moderator Geoffcin's Avatar

I think your asking if the sub will get more power from the receiver than it's own internal 75watts. The short answer is no.

The high level (speaker inputs) will not pass high level current to the sub. The inputs are hooked up in the sub in a way that allows the sub to only sample the signal, and attenuate the lower frequencys (filter) before sending it on to the speakers through the output. The only reason that you would want to hook this up this way (with the speaker wires insted of the RCA jack) is if your using a reciever or amp that does not have a dedicated sub RCA output. Your Pioneer receiver does have this, and that's the best way to hook it up.
    Audio;
    Ming Da MC34-AB 75wpc
    PS Audio Classic 250. 500wpc into 4 ohms.
    PS Audio 4.5 preamp,
    Marantz 6170 TT Shure M97e cart.
    Arcam Alpha 9 CD.- 24 bit dCS Ring DAC.
    Magnepan 3.6r speakers Oak/black,

Quote Originally Posted by Geoffcin
    I think your asking if the sub will get more power from the receiver than it's own internal 75watts. The short answer is no.

The high level (speaker inputs) will not pass high level current to the sub. The inputs are hooked up in the sub in a way that allows the sub to only sample the signal, and attenuate the lower frequencys (filter) before sending it on to the speakers through the output. The only reason that you would want to hook this up this way (with the speaker wires insted of the RCA jack) is if your using a reciever or amp that does not have a dedicated sub RCA output. Your Pioneer receiver does have this, and that's the best way to hook it up.
    Geo
    Thanks for the response.
    As I understand your answer the sub amp is only useful if your reciver does not have a seperate sub jack

I had read in some of the responses/links on this topic that the primary purpose of the amp was to help boost power which can help reduce distoration. Admittedly I do not play my system at loud volumes anyway so distortion is not really an issue any way. In your opinion, given my current configuration (see profile) of bookshelf speaker would I gain anything using my recievers pre-outs to hook up additional amps?

Again I appreciate the feedback that you and the other sages of the site provide. It is like having a handy reference manual sitting on the desk.

The short answer is no

Geo
    Thanks for the response.
    As I understand your answer the sub amp is only useful if your reciver does not have a seperate sub jack

I had read in some of the responses/links on this topic that the primary purpose of the amp was to help boost power which can help reduce distoration. Admittedly I do not play my system at loud volumes anyway so distortion is not really an issue any way. In your opinion, given my current configuration (see profile) of bookshelf speaker would I gain anything using my recievers pre-outs to hook up additional amps?

Again I appreciate the feedback that you and the other sages of the site provide. It is like having a handy reference manual sitting on the desk.
    Your best bet is to upgrade your speakers first. The Axiom system that I recently reviewed would be a good upgrade, but might just be a bit out of your budget.
    Audio;
    Ming Da MC34-AB 75wpc
    PS Audio 4.5 preamp,

Quote Originally Posted by Geoffcin
    Your best bet is to upgrade your speakers first. The Axiom system that I recently reviewed would be a good upgrade, but might just be a bit out of your budget.
    Thanks again GEO!
    You have confirmed my suspicions.
    The long term plan is a speaker upgrade that will put the current HT that is in my family room in the MB. In the mean time I can do a little research and find the right speakers.

Suspended
    It's nice to know that we're appreciated. Everyone here participates voluntarily and yet some persist on acting as if they paid a fee for professional services and demand instant, personalized service.

We know that it only takes one or two rotten apples to spoil the whole barrel but that doesn't mean we'll (well, me at least) will just simply sit back and take it from those few.
    Get over it

Don't even think about getting into anthing

Quote Originally Posted by Dmax
    Get over it
    With Mark, or anyone else here. You've had your warning and that's it.
    Audio;
    Ming Da MC34-AB 75wpc
    PS Audio 4.5 preamp,

Kids these days!

Quote Originally Posted by L.J.
    Kids these days!
    Only one thing to do
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Audio Hobbyist Since 1969 Glen B's Avatar
    [QUOTE=Kaboom]If you're looking to get your questions answered within the hour, you're in the wrong place. better try audio asylum for that, for example. but i find that's massified, and every thread seems to turn into a flame war before the 5th post.[QUOTE]

Kaboom, I find it funny that the same thing used to be said about AudioReview by the folks at AA in the years before you joined up (i.e., that AR was "flame city"). Things here are totally different now, more or less.
    Last edited by Glen B; 02-13-2006 at 10:53 AM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread Information