WAVE AV-20 DT w/90 db speakers??

Hi.

I am considering getting a set of these 20 watt mono block tube amps by Antique Sound Lab called the WAVE AV-20 DT.

My speakers are pretty low in impedance (4 ohms nominal down to 1.2 ohms @ 20 Khz). Yet they are pretty decent/moderate in sensititvity 90dB/2.83 volts/meter. Currently they are being powered by an older 1988 45W/Ch Onkyo TX-82 receiver (45 W/Ch solid state). Its more than enough power for me (I never play it past the 9 o'clock position)

Would they be any good for "me"? Meaning, I don't need to play it loud, but want to make sure that it will still sound good at low levels. If not, can anyone recommend a decent Tube amp (not integrated, I have a pre) at about the same price ($500 a set new)?

Thanks!

http://www.divertech.com/aslwaveav20dt.htm

Forum Regular
    20 watts should be fine with 90 dB sensitivity.
    However, the AV-20 has frequency response that cuts off at about 12khz, so you be missing a lot of cymbols and stuff. Might matter to you , might not.
    Have you tried your hand at some kits?
    Those can be very fun! I'm building an Audio Note Kit1 right now and it's a blast.
    You might want to see diyhifisupply or world audio design too. They also sell popular kits for about 500 bux.

The Ella from diyhifisupply. 40 watts PP tetrode/pentode is bout 550 including delivery (dont know bout them duties though)
    world audio design stuff is more expensive since its UK stuff
    Audio Note also has a kit4, a PP tube amp, but its 10watts. I'm about to use the kit1 which is only 8-9 watts, but that is good enough for my 93dB speakers. 10 watts might be good enough, maybe not

Quote Originally Posted by 92135011
    However, the AV-20 has frequency response that cuts off at about 12khz, so you be missing a lot of cymbols and stuff. Might matter to you , might not.
    Those can be very fun! I'm building an Audio Note Kit1 right now and it's a blast.
    You might want to see diyhifisupply or world audio design too. They also sell popular kits for about 500 bux.

The Ella from diyhifisupply. 40 watts PP tetrode/pentode is bout 550 including delivery (dont know bout them duties though)
    Audio Note also has a kit4, a PP tube amp, but its 10watts. I'm about to use the kit1 which is only 8-9 watts, but that is good enough for my 93dB speakers. 10 watts might be good enough, maybe not
    Thanks for all the info 92mil!!

Yeah, I think the 12K is a misprint. How could that be possible with so many peope saying they are good amps? I guess I could get in touch with the company.

I'm afraid I'll get frustrated doing a kit and end of smashing it (I have a bad temper when working with tools). But it does sound like fun Plus, is there any kind of warrenty with kits?

Forum Regular
    That's the risk my friend.
    Kits dont got no warrenty or anything, but they usually work (or else no one would buy them after the reviews). The signal path is simple so things dont break down as much and even if they do its easy to fix. (they usually give you a troubleshooting guide that narrows down the location of the problem)
    If you do want to go kit then its best to stay with well known companies such as bottlehead and the other three I mentioned.

It is a risk though...

Quote Originally Posted by Peter_Klim
    I am considering getting a set of these 20 watt mono block tube amps by Antique Sound Lab called the WAVE AV-20 DT.
    You might also consider a pair of used VTL Tiny Triodes with about the same power output, even though that may push the budget up a bit.

Compact Monoblocks

rw

RGA
    Forum Regular
    Not all of these amps have four ohm taps and few will be able to handle the 1.2 ohms. Audio Note does make highly efficient and sensitive speakers 8ohm for a reason - to sound good with their amplifiers.

The Antique SOund Labs as good as they are tend to be a bit lightweight in the bass department from my own MG Head to their AQ1003 and the Wave 8 monos. I don't see the advantage of tube power amps unless you have a tube preamp - or like the Kit one which uses a passive preamp which can operate with no need for a preamp - or can be switched to just a power amp(making it quite versatile).

Tube amps are great if you have the right speakers - generally speaking if the speaker can't sound good off of low powered tubes then to me it ain't a very good speaker(because then you can;t use the superiority of tubes - oh oh here come the SS Nazis. (Hey this is a kind of pun Solid State-- SS--- Nazis I kill me.

You have to try it to be totally sure but I would probably go with a good used SS power amp over the ASL tubes.

Hi Peter,

4ohm to 1.2 ohm That's a heck of a dip my friend!

If your speakers were 90db with a 4ohm flat impedance curve...and...you didn't listen at loud levels...It shouldn't be much of a problem. But, I just wouldn't buy the ASL without trying it with those speakers.

Also, as RGA mentioned...If you were going to get a tube amp to power the speakers you'll get the most out of it if you use either a tubed preamp or a decent passive. I say decent passive because I've used one of the cheapo Creek passives (with remote) for some time, while I built another preamp kit. Putting it nicely, it sucked. You would be better off with an int. tube amp with volume control such as the Ella. Actually...the Ella is built like a TANK and dang fine sounding too!

take care>>>>>

dan

enjoy the music!

Quote Originally Posted by 92135011

I got a reply e-mail from them:

Hello Peter,

Yes, the figures are as you also noticed misprints and the correct
    figures
    as follows;
    Frequency response at 1 Watt: 16 Hz to 36000 Hz. +/- 1 dB.
    Frequency response at full power: 20 Hz to 21000 Hz +/- 1 dB.

We will correct the information.

Thank you,

Tash.

Quote Originally Posted by E-Stat
    You might also consider a pair of used VTL Tiny Triodes with about the same power output, even though that may push the budget up a bit.

Compact Monoblocks

rw
    Yeah, a bit too much. Maybe if I could find them used...

Quote Originally Posted by RGA
    Not all of these amps have four ohm taps and few will be able to handle the 1.2 ohms. Audio Note does make highly efficient and sensitive speakers 8ohm for a reason - to sound good with their amplifiers.

The Antique SOund Labs as good as they are tend to be a bit lightweight in the bass department from my own MG Head to their AQ1003 and the Wave 8 monos. I don't see the advantage of tube power amps unless you have a tube preamp - or like the Kit one which uses a passive preamp which can operate with no need for a preamp - or can be switched to just a power amp(making it quite versatile).

Tube amps are great if you have the right speakers - generally speaking if the speaker can't sound good off of low powered tubes then to me it ain't a very good speaker(because then you can;t use the superiority of tubes - oh oh here come the SS Nazis. (Hey this is a kind of pun Solid State-- SS--- Nazis I kill me.

You have to try it to be totally sure but I would probably go with a good used SS power amp over the ASL tubes.
    Yes - Definitely will want a tube pre for them (if I get them).

Just not sure which one. Right now I am geared on getting this one inexpensive one:

Audcom Audio AP-120 Tube Preamp

Thread Information