Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

used and new to me - OmegaStar 250EX amplifier.

So my Golden Tube SE-40 popped again and i'm sick of having issues with it.

So I figured put that away for a while until I want to have fun paying a repair man to redesign and fix - so in the mean time wifie let me make a purchase.

I just ordered up the AVA 2004 OmegaStar 250EX amplifier.

I figure consistency in equipment might be a worthwhile investment. This will be paired with my AVA Omega III pre-amp.

Anyways I'll let you'll know how it sounds when I get some time with it.

AA, you will love the synergy of the VA amp and pre. VA gear really does best when matched with each other.

Did you buy it direct from Frank? If you did, ask him about any upgrades that may be available to your existing VA gear. In many cases, Frank can upgrade older gear for a reasonable price.
    Pass Labs X250 amp, BAT Vk-51se Preamp,
    Thorens TD-145 TT, Bellari phono preamp, Nagaoka MP-200 Cartridge
    Magnepan QR1.6 speakers
    Luxman DA-06 DAC
    Van Alstine Ultra Plus Hybrid Tube DAC
    Dual Martin Logan Original Dynamo Subs
    Parasound A21 amp
    Vintage Luxman T-110 tuner
    Magnepan MMG's, Grant Fidelity DAC-11, Class D CDA254 amp
    Monitor Audio S1 speakers, PSB B6 speakers
    Vintage Technic's Integrated amp
    Music Hall 25.2 CDP
    Adcom GFR 700 AVR
    Cables- Cardas, Silnote, BJC
    Velodyne CHT 8 sub

no - can't ask about upgrades at this time. already pushing it with a new amp. wife is being extremely giving on this issue.

at this time my upgrade path is pretty much -
    rage p3 TT and new phono amp
    PS Audio Power Plant
    good cables

then i will look into upgrade in amp/pre/cdplayer/speaker.

Quote Originally Posted by atomicAdam
    So my Golden Tube SE-40 popped again and i'm sick of having issues with it.
    Sorry to hear that. I've never had your recurring problems with ARC, VTL and Manley tube gear. Chinese tube gear has not demonstrated the same level of reliability as the better brands.

rw

Quote Originally Posted by E-Stat
    Sorry to hear that. I've never had your recurring problems with ARC, VTL and Manley tube gear. Chinese tube gear has not demonstrated the same level of reliability as the better brands.

rw

Thanks E-Stat - Unfortunately the Golden Tube is good old made in the USA. Just not well made...errr...designed.

I'm going to burning amp this saturday, maybe I'll ask around from advice from those who know how to make things. There might be another chance for me to fix it myself again.

Vinyl Fundamentalist Forums Moderator poppachubby's Avatar
    no - can't ask about upgrades at this time. already pushing it with a new amp. wife is being extremely giving on this issue.

at this time my upgrade path is pretty much -
    rage p3 TT and new phono amp
    PS Audio Power Plant
    good cables

then i will look into upgrade in amp/pre/cdplayer/speaker.

Adam, not all tables require caulking, but I'm pretty sure that Rage's use a special type that has gold and diamond flakes in it. Check www.caulking-in-your-TT.com for more info.

Anyhow, congrats on the upgrade but more importantly on convincing your wife. The AVA will be top shelf, unmatched quality. Awful topic but I wonder what will happen once the old boy is gone? Must be someone to take the reigns.

I guess now would be a good time to ask for your Golden Tube. I'll take it off your hands...

Quote Originally Posted by poppachubby
    Adam, not all tables require caulking, but I'm pretty sure that Rega's use a special type that has gold and diamond flakes in it. Check www.caulking-in-your-TT.com for more info.

Anyhow, congrats on the upgrade but more importantly on convincing your wife. The AVA will be top shelf, unmatched quality. Awful topic but I wonder what will happen once the old boy is gone? Must be someone to take the reigns.

I guess now would be a good time to ask for your Golden Tube. I'll take it off your hands...
    I'll make sure to double check with that site before I caulk the platter on the Rage. Thanks for the link!

Wife actually had the CC and a note left out for me this morning. "You can buy 1 think for under $1200". I truly didn't want to buy anything. Have to still pay off CC and then it is on to braces for her. But she is a wonderful lady.

On that awful topic, I couldn't help think something similar. Though more in line with my step-fathers age. And sadly he is starting to fall apart.

You really want the Golden Tube? It has issues. You'll need to fix some stuff. I'm not sure I'm really to part with it. It does have a nice sound when working correctly. You know I think I'm going to have to check on www.caulk-in-a-tube-amp.com to see if there is a way to fix it.

Thanks E-Stat - Unfortunately the Golden Tube is good old made in the USA. Just not well made...errr...designed.
    Really. Apparently, some reviewers were confused about their origin. Chinese tubes

rw

Super Moderator Site Moderator JohnMichael's Avatar

I'm going to burning amp this saturday, maybe I'll ask around from advice from those who know how to make things. There might be another chance for me to fix it myself again.

You might want to pack it up and take it with you. Someone there might be of help.
    JohnMichael
    Vinyl Rega Planar 2, Incognito rewire, Deepgroove subplatter, ceramic bearing, Michell Technoweight, Rega 24V motor, TTPSU, FunkFirm Achroplat platter, Michael Lim top and bottom braces, 2 Rega feet and one RDC cones. Grado Sonata, Moon 110 LP phono.
    Digital
    Sony SCD-XA5400ES SACD/cd SID mat, Marantz SA 8001
    Int. Amp Krell S-300i
    Speaker
    Monitor Audio RS6
    Cables
    AQ SPKR and AQ XLR and IC

Concerning Frank VA's age and what will happen to AVA, I suspect the company will go to one of his designers. I met one of his engineers several times when I was over at his house on multiple occassions.
    Pass Labs X250 amp, BAT Vk-51se Preamp,
    Thorens TD-145 TT, Bellari phono preamp, Nagaoka MP-200 Cartridge
    Magnepan QR1.6 speakers
    Luxman DA-06 DAC
    Van Alstine Ultra Plus Hybrid Tube DAC
    Dual Martin Logan Original Dynamo Subs
    Parasound A21 amp
    Vintage Luxman T-110 tuner
    Magnepan MMG's, Grant Fidelity DAC-11, Class D CDA254 amp
    Monitor Audio S1 speakers, PSB B6 speakers
    Vintage Technic's Integrated amp
    Music Hall 25.2 CDP
    Adcom GFR 700 AVR
    Cables- Cardas, Silnote, BJC
    Velodyne CHT 8 sub

I'll make sure to double check with that site before I caulk the platter on the Rage. Thanks for the link!

Wife actually had the CC and a note left out for me this morning. "You can buy 1 think for under $1200". I truly didn't want to buy anything. Have to still pay off CC and then it is on to braces for her. But she is a wonderful lady.

On that awful topic, I couldn't help think something similar. Though more in line with my step-fathers age. And sadly he is starting to fall apart.

You really want the Golden Tube? It has issues. You'll need to fix some stuff. I'm not sure I'm really to part with it. It does have a nice sound when working correctly. You know I think I'm going to have to check on www.caulk-in-a-tube-amp.com to see if there is a way to fix it.

Thought I could capitalize on your frustration. Checked out caulk-in-a-tube-amp today, really great stuff on there. I think I'm ready to try...

Really. Apparently, some reviewers were confused about their origin. Chinese tubes

rw
    I'm not sure what to say. The golden tube se-40 i have in my room looks like this. And it says made in the USA.

Granted I wasn't there when it was made, shipped, and designed. So the Made in the USA could be a manufacturer lie. I could be wrong. I'm not really interested in arguing but I am interested in finding out who is right. Lets do more research.

Quote Originally Posted by poppachubby
    Thought I could capitalize on your frustration. Checked out caulk-in-a-tube-amp today, really great stuff on there. I think I'm ready to try...

You think you could give some of them a test run for me, including photos, video, and sound recordings?

You think you could give some of them a test run for me, including photos, video, and sound recordings?
    Hehehe....hey man, what's wrong with your Asian American Golden Tube Anyhow? Certainly there is value in a solid repair, no? I love that thing and I think you have it displayed ideally in your pad. I think John is right, pack it up and take it and hopefully someone takes an interest and helps you out. If you want to let it go down the road, let me know...

I'm not sure what to say. The golden tube se-40 i have in my room looks like this. And it says made in the USA.
    The answer is found on the website. They are not Golden Tube Audio, the original designer of the product long ago. The review is of the original product. As Sonic Craft (located not terribly far from me), they "re-engineered" the product. In any event, it would seem they did not succeed particularly well.

rw

The answer is found on the website. They are not Golden Tube Audio, the original designer of the product long ago. The review is of the original product. As Sonic Craft (located not terribly far from me), they "re-engineered" the product. In any event, it would seem they did not succeed particularly well.

rw

yes - just got off the phone with sonic craft who has me calling another number. fun....

so far not thrilled

-adam

rw

Hey - how far are they located from you? SonicCraft that is. I've sent them two emails and called - they have this posted - http://www.soniccraft.com/upgrades/se40.htm - but aren't really responding. You have any inside info or contacts?

Thanks
    -aA

You want fast and friendly service with a smile? Have E-Stat stand in the parking lot with dynamite strapped onto himself. Start your next call with..."Look in the parking lot motherF@#$er...". I can almost guarantee a prompt response.

oh man - straight to the point!

well i like e-stat so no really no need to take it that far!

I really love your energy about this Poppa. And great thought. To bad it wouls be a short lived show of CSI if it went bad but damn good thinkin. Its all about the audio man.

Marantz SR5008(HT)
    Nu Force P8 Preamp (2 channel)
    Pass Labs X150.5(2 channel)
    Adcom 545 mk2 power amp(rear channel amp)
    Spatial Audio M3 Turbo S Mains Speakers
    Dayton 8" HO custom sealed subwoofer(2 channel)
    Yamaha NS-c444 center channel
    Emotiva ERD-1 surround speakers
    JBL e250p subwoofer highly modified
    Samsung 46" LED TV
    OPPO BDP-83 blue ray/multi format player
    ps-audio NuWave dac (2 channel)
    Dell I660 music server running fidelizer windows 8 audio optimizer
    PS Audio Quintet power center

Ya, I guess it's a little too "20 years to life-ish"...

Hey - how far are they located from you? SonicCraft that is. I've sent them two emails and called - they have this posted - http://www.soniccraft.com/upgrades/se40.htm - but aren't really responding. You have any inside info or contacts?
    Sorry, I only learned of them through your post. They're about 100 miles to the south of me.

rw

on phone with them now - awesome guy - called he called

sweet - getting the ball rolling. good long conversation as well.

Got some goods in the mail today. I'm amped to go home and listen - but i've got to work - and then climbing tonight in SF. No mofo's better break into my car with his sucker in it.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information