Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

oh yeah....

it sounds good, very good, seriously, better then the SE-40 I think.

AA, glad to hear you like the VA amp. His gear has a very nice sound. All his solid state amps and pre amps tend to sound tubey rather than SS.
    I'm looking forward to a more detailed review.
    Pass Labs X250 amp, BAT Vk-51se Preamp,
    Thorens TD-145 TT, Bellari phono preamp, Nagaoka MP-200 Cartridge
    Magnepan QR1.6 speakers
    Luxman DA-06 DAC
    Van Alstine Ultra Plus Hybrid Tube DAC
    Dual Martin Logan Original Dynamo Subs
    Parasound A21 amp
    Vintage Luxman T-110 tuner
    Magnepan MMG's, Grant Fidelity DAC-11, Class D CDA254 amp
    Monitor Audio S1 speakers, PSB B6 speakers
    Vintage Technic's Integrated amp
    Music Hall 25.2 CDP
    Adcom GFR 700 AVR
    Cables- Cardas, Silnote, BJC
    Velodyne CHT 8 sub

dang you mean 'it sounds good' isn't going to cut it for a review?!?! Well alright, let me spend some real time with it first.

Well I've not had as much time as I'd like with the OmegaStar 250EX at this point but with the little time I've had, I am so far very happy.

So far what I've noticed most is the level of detail and pretty fantastic balance. Detail wise what I've noticed most is the clear separation of sounds. On the Cure's Wish, typically a noise albums with a lot going on, I was able to pick out more specifics instruments and noises. I played it last night at a low volume and was happy to still hear low bass notes, and punch in the kick and snare drums.

The other day I listened to most of Sufjan Stevens' Illinoise, another complicated album, and again was very happy hear a clean separation of instruments and detail in the bass. Although, I thought maybe there needed to be more punch in the bass at certain parts. But this could just be because that is what I heard on the SE-40 and the Onkyo-M282 (which I know pumps up the bass and muddies it all up terribly).

Funny enough about that Sufjan Stevens album, I played some song on a $120,000.00+ system this past Friday and it didn't sound that good. This says something, but I'm not sure what at this point. Either my system, the speakers I would guess, are tailored to make bad recordings sound good, as in not neutral, or maybe I wasn't fully used the other system, or it wasn't warmed up, or something else.

Anyways, so far very happy with the OmegaStar 250EX for being balanced and clear.

I suppose next up will be some Aphex Twin, Massive Attack, and then back to jazz.

Oh, and the amp is pretty dang warm sounding for sure.

More listening to come later this week I hope.

Vinyl Fundamentalist Forums Moderator poppachubby's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by atomicAdam
    Well I've not had as much time as I'd like with the OmegaStar 250EX at this point but with the little time I've had, I am so far very happy.

So far what I've noticed most is the level of detail and pretty fantastic balance. Detail wise what I've noticed most is the clear separation of sounds. On the Cure's Wish, typically a noise albums with a lot going on, I was able to pick out more specifics instruments and noises. I played it last night at a low volume and was happy to still hear low bass notes, and punch in the kick and snare drums.

The other day I listened to most of Sufjan Stevens' Illinoise, another complicated album, and again was very happy hear a clean separation of instruments and detail in the bass. Although, I thought maybe there needed to be more punch in the bass at certain parts. But this could just be because that is what I heard on the SE-40 and the Onkyo-M282 (which I know pumps up the bass and muddies it all up terribly).

Funny enough about that Sufjan Stevens album, I played some song on a $120,000.00+ system this past Friday and it didn't sound that good. This says something, but I'm not sure what at this point. Either my system, the speakers I would guess, are tailored to make bad recordings sound good, as in not neutral, or maybe I wasn't fully used the other system, or it wasn't warmed up, or something else.

Anyways, so far very happy with the OmegaStar 250EX for being balanced and clear.

I suppose next up will be some Aphex Twin, Massive Attack, and then back to jazz.

Oh, and the amp is pretty dang warm sounding for sure.

More listening to come later this week I hope.
    Anything that makes you want to re-visit your albums is good. When you find a new level of enjoyment, it's a keeper. Sounds like your having fun.

Glad to hear you like the Van Alstine gear! The stuff is not pretty but it is high end audio at a reasonable price with out the bling. You should hear his tube and hybrid DAC and preamps. They present great air and detail.
    Pass Labs X250 amp, BAT Vk-51se Preamp,
    Thorens TD-145 TT, Bellari phono preamp, Nagaoka MP-200 Cartridge
    Magnepan QR1.6 speakers
    Luxman DA-06 DAC
    Van Alstine Ultra Plus Hybrid Tube DAC
    Dual Martin Logan Original Dynamo Subs
    Parasound A21 amp
    Vintage Luxman T-110 tuner
    Magnepan MMG's, Grant Fidelity DAC-11, Class D CDA254 amp
    Monitor Audio S1 speakers, PSB B6 speakers
    Vintage Technic's Integrated amp
    Music Hall 25.2 CDP