AR Newbie Registered Member

SACD into Yamaha RX-V2095 ? (Help)

I have a Denon DVD 2900 coming which I was truely looking forward to SACD asnd DVD-A audio cd's....the bad part is I have just realized my Yamaha 2095 does not have 5.1 input for CD.......I've really loved this amp and wonder if there is a way I can add something that has 5.1 input to the system...or can I use the External Decoder inputs on the amp? (which seems a shame because it turns off all the great DSP in the unit)

Please help...am I doomed to getting a newer amp?

Thank you for any assistance

dax
    Forum Regular
    You're talking about the RX-V2095 receiver, right? I looked up the specs on the Yamaha web site and it says the unit has 6 channel inputs for an external decoder. If that's your receiver, you should be good to go once your Denon DVD2900 arrives. I'm thinking about picking a universal player up myself. Either that one or the 2200.

Good luck!

Your receiver is fine for a DVD-2900. With DVD-A and SACD, you have to use a six-channel analog output, and your receiver has one. With those formats, you can't use an optical or coaxial digital connection of any kind due to copy protection restrictions.

When you mention 5.1 CD, I have no idea what you're talking about. CD audio is a two-channel PCM format, and all you need to use the digital inputs on your receiver for the CD player is either an optical or coaxial output on the CD player. It'll output in two channels the way it's supposed to. Only with a DVD player can you get 5.1 audio using a digital connection.

AR Newbie Registered Member

Thanks

Wasn't sure if the external decoder inputs was the way to go, especially since it shuts down the DSP of the Yamaha....but the more I look, it seems that this is normal for 5.1 or 6 channel input(?)

Any way...its nice to know I don't need a new receiver
    Thanks Again

WIll let you know how it all works out next week when the Denon arrives

Department of Heuristics and Research on Material Applications
    Quote Originally Posted by Woochifer
    Only with a DVD player can you get 5.1 audio using a digital connection.
    Is that true? Dave Matthews Band's newest cd is available in 5.1 surround sound on three disks...seems to me each CD holds less songs because more info is packed into each disk...that would explain why that particular album has 3 disks.
    Would the 5.1 DD signal not be carried by a cd player connected with a digital/optical cable? Never tried it.

Department of Heuristics and Research on Material Applications
    Quote Originally Posted by Woochifer
    Only with a DVD player can you get 5.1 audio using a digital connection.
    Sorry, double post.

Quote Originally Posted by kexodusc
    Is that true? Dave Matthews Band's newest cd is available in 5.1 surround sound on three disks...seems to me each CD holds less songs because more info is packed into each disk...that would explain why that particular album has 3 disks.
    Would the 5.1 DD signal not be carried by a cd player connected with a digital/optical cable? Never tried it.
    Actually, you're right that there are some multichannel soundtracks out there that are packaged on CDs. The early DTS surround music discs are examples of that. However, those discs will not play anything back (other than noise) if you use the CD player's internal DACs. They can only connect if your CD player has a digital out, and if the player is capable of properly sending out the DTS signal (even some early DVD players could not do that).

A lot of CDs are now packed with DVDs and other multichannel soundtracks as bonuses. Is that Dave Matthews CD playable on a CD player, or does it play only when output through the digital outs? If it can be played using the CD player's internal DACs, there's no way that it can possibly be a true 5.1 soundtrack because the CD audio format has no provision for discrete multichannel output. I know that some soundtracks that were processed using Circle Surround or other surround processors are misleadingly labeled as "5.1" soundtracks when in actuality they are nothing more than regular two-channel outputs with additional processing applied.

Thread Information