AR Newbie Registered Member

quick noob question

ok i'm in the process of "building" my own home theater system, and since i'm about to ask this question i probably shouldn't be building my own, but do i need a pre-amp? what exactly is the purpose of one? i know i need an amp for my system but what purpose/advantage would a pre-amp have and do i actually need one? they are EXPENSIVE. thanks

Kursun
    It depends on how much you care to spend on your HT system.

If you are planning on a VERY expensive system you may buy a AV preamplifier with built-in Dolby and DTS decoders and a power amplifier with 5-7 channels of amplification. A preamplifier "controls" the signals. It does switching inputs and raises the voltage of the source components to a level that is sufficient for power amplifier's input.

If you plan to spend a moderate amount you may select to go the "receiver" way to your HT system. An AV receiver contains an AV preamplifier, 5-7 channel power amplifiers, plus a tuner (to receive FM) all in one chassis.

Kursun brings up very good points. There are quite a few more than adequate receivers out there at very good prices. And most of t he better ones have outputs that allow them yo be used as a "preamp" by allowing you to run them through your choice of separate power amps if the internal ones are not up to the task.

IMNSHO, fot HT, there are some good, powerful, well priced receivers out there that should be considered, unless you really, really want to spend some sheckels.

AR Newbie Registered Member
    hey, thanks for the replies. i now realize i do not need one coz i'm only building an >$1000 dollar system and i can just get a decent a/v receiver. Maybe one day when i'm rich and know enough about audio i'll get all the un-necessary stuff like a $5,000 pre-amp and the what-nots. thanks guys.

Kursun
    By going the receiver route, you'll have a more chance of getting the latest technology in HT, since that sector is very competive now. The preamp-decoder sector is slower to respond in this respect.

In my opinion, the Pioneer Elite VSX-AX10i receiver is the best receiver you can buy, according to my eyes and ears, but not to my wallet. Anything above this level may require you to go separates way.

Thread Information