Question Quick Question about RPTVs

This is on the old forums, but I can't read them anymore...

But anyways,

I was wondering if anyone knows what happens if you rest an RPTV on its side for a very short period of time (just to move it).

Will it take the lenses out of alignment?

If so, can I fix this misalignment with convergence?

Thanks a ton

~DeNoN_MaN

(This board is pretty spiffy btw)

Forum Regular
    I answered this query (at length) for you at the old HT board, and was wondering why you didn't respond. Whaddya mean, you cannot read messages on the old board? That's not the way things are supposed to work, I'm sure. Check with Chris, the forum administrator about it.
    woodman

I plan to live forever ..... so far, so good!
    Steven Wright

Quote Originally Posted by woodman
    I answered this query (at length) for you at the old HT board, and was wondering why you didn't respond. Whaddya mean, you cannot read messages on the old board? That's not the way things are supposed to work, I'm sure. Check with Chris, the forum administrator about it.

Sorry, Just figured out how to look at the old forums!

Thanks a lot. The Screenplay 5700 (changed my mind - the other one has an insuff. resolution) goes for $4000-$5000 and it has the new Matterhorn DLP chip from TI.

More info: http://www.projectorcentral.com/InFo...nplay_5700.htm

Can even do 1080p!

If you have any other suggestions on which proj. to go for please feel free to give them.

I still need to do some shopping around and I will report back afterwards!

btw, the people at Best Buy say that when you tilt an RPTV in order to move it, it can still damage it. Still wondering....

Well, thanks for all your help.

~DeNoN_MaN
    System:
    Fronts: B&W 602 S2
    Center: B&W CC6 S2
    Rear: Klipsch SB-2
    Sub: Velodyne CHT-10
    Receiver: Denon AVR-2802
    DVD: Toshiba SD-3800

Projector: Sanyo PLV-70HT

Forum Regular
    Yeah - I suggest that you do NOT spend $4-$5K on the 5700. Your first choice (4800) is a much smarter buy, IMO. Don't get hung up on "specs" ... in a side-by-side comparison, I doubt that you would see more than a very slight difference between the two - certainly not enough of a difference to warrant the higher price of the 5700. I'm not a big fan of DLP technology at this point in time. It simply hasn't been around long enough to prove itself re: long term reliability to warrant investing 4 or 5 grand on it. A model 4800 for around $1500, or better yet, a model X-1 for less than $1K is a far better "gamble" I think.

Another option to consider would be one of the many LCD projectors. They are far more likely to prove reliable, and won't be subject to the "rainbow effects" that trouble many people about DLP technology that uses a spinning color wheel to create the colored images. Take a look at one of the Panasonic or Sony or Sharp LCD projectors. Of course finding a place to look at them in action might prove to be a challenge, but I think it'll be worth the effort.

woodman

Thread Information