Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Forum Regular

power amp for proac response d two

Hello guys ,

What power amp do you recommand for the proac response d 2. Currenly I have a rotel rmb1075 but I feel the proacs need a more refined amp. The preamp is a rotel RSP1069.

What do you recommand?

Why does the preamp have to stay? Will this amp be part of a home theater setup?

Forum Regular
    Yes a 5.1 system. I will be sharing the front speakers (proacs)

Just me...I'd be looking for a way to remove the preamp from the equation...although I'm sure the smart guys around here will come in and vehemently disagree. I heard a pair of these speakers with an Audio Research VSi60 and was very impressed. Someone will likely be along shortly to scoff at me on that one, too.

Forum Regular
    i`m looking for a hassle free class a/b power amp. I need the rotel preamp (which is very neutral) for surround duties.

So I guess then you still want a 5-channel amp. Interesting how similar your thread is to dr bud's here in this same section of the forum.

Forum Regular
    I need the 5 channel amp to power a centre, rears, and a 2.0 system in a bathroom. Then i want a dedicated power amp for the two fronts

Have you checked into Pass Labs?

Forum Regular
    nope... beyond my budget. 3000usd max

Rega Maia?

Forum Regular Jack in Wilmington's Avatar
    The Parasound Halo A52 would be worth a listen in my opinion. Also the Marantz MM8003 fits your criteria. Heard the Marantz at a local shop driving a full Paradigm Sig. setup and it was quite impressive.
    2 Channel System
    Dynaudio Contour 1.8 Mk II
    Pass Labs X150.5 (Amp)
    Cary SLP-03 (Preamp)
    Music Hall MMF 5.1 (TT)
    Goldring 1012GX (Cart.)
    Pro-ject SE II (Phono Box)
    Rotel RCD-1072 (CD Player)
    Bryston BDA-1 ( DAC )
    Sennheiser HD-600 (Headphones)
    Musical Fidelity Xcan V3 (Headphone Amp) _

HT System
    Usher X-719 (Mains)
    Usher X-616 (Center)
    Usher S-520 (Surrounds)
    Rel T2 (Subwoofer)
    Anthem MCA20 (Amp)
    Yamaha RX-A830 (Receiver)
    Panasonic TH-46PZ85U (Plasma TV)
    Denon DBT-1713UD (BluRay/SACD)

Forum Regular
    Actually someone recommanded the rega exon 3,,, which are in monoblock format, and superior overall to the mias. what do you think? would it be a good match to the proacs?

thanks

I like that idea. I haven't heard the mono blocks, but if you like the sound of ProAc speakers you might like the sound of Rega amps.

Forum Regular
    audionoob.... how is the sound signature of rega? Is it a detailed sound?

RGA
    Forum Regular
    Why not consider a quality integrated amplifier for two channel duties and just keep your system for home theater. You don't mention the source which if it is one of those DVD players pulling CD plyaer duty may be the biggest problem of all. This would require you changing out the speaker cables when you listen to 2 channel but that should not be a big hassle.

Not a big fan of Rega amplfiers - a dedicated Rotel preamp would probably be better IMO.

Dedicated 2 channel system makers tend to be better at 2 channel than surround sound amplifier builders. I guess I am saying if you want a BIG upgrade I would do it this way. The speakers are nice and I would get a real nice tube integrated from Mystere or Rogue Audio or perhaps a SS integrated from Sugden or Heed Audio.

It seemed to me the Rega gear did much of the same things well as the ProAc monitors it was connected to at the one boutique audio store in my town, last time I was there. It seemed like synergy, given that I'm a fan of the smooth, pleasant midrange of those speakers.

RGA's an expert/professional, so if I were looking, I'd certainly be checking out his recommendations. In fact, I'm going to check them out, anyway.

RGA
    Forum Regular
    I did not want to diss the Rega - I have not heard the combination together while you have. I find Rega a little overly polite and in general their gear tries to sound like tubes - but I would rather just buy tubes because SS trying to do it sounds like SS trying to do it. I felt that way about the Saturn CD player that had a bit of a reverberation/warmth to them but never really sounded quite right. But the stuff I recommended probably cost a fair bit more than the Rega too so you have to put that into perspective.

Rotel is pretty good - I just would rather see a bigger upgrade since every upgrade costs a lot of money if you start replacing things (with resale value killing you). I would hold off from moves like Rotel to Rega (or vice versa) and go into either different designs or upscale designs. Tubes would add a new element but they're a lot more work and he may not want that.

Still it could be the source causing the grief.

Quote Originally Posted by RGA
    ...snip.. I find Rega a little overly polite and in general their gear tries to sound like tubes -...snip...
    Exactly. I started out by recommending a tube amp, trying to hit that word "refined", and admittedly have still had been sort of circling my original thought.

RGA...what is it you like about Rotel? I've heard you say that more than once. I have the 1080 amp and I like it a lot. Its not bright like a few of the reviews I've read, and its not boring either. And for the price they seem to do a good job of doing what they do, but I've heard others say they don't like the Rotel sound...what is that ? I suppose they where talking about the CDP.

frenchmon
    Music...let it into your soul and be moved....with Canton...Pure Music

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    W10 i5 Quad core processor 8GB RAM/Jriver 20/ Fidelizer Optimizer/ iFI Micro DSD DAC-iUSB 3.0/Vincent SA - T1/Vincent SP-331 MK /MMF-7.1/2M BLACK/MS Phenomena ll+/Canton Vento 830.2

Forum Regular
    I would like to thank you all for your answers.

I do like the rotel/proac combo myself, but thought of taking my musical experience to another level by buying a dedicated power amp, just to power the new proacs VS using a 5channel power amp .I had the b&w dm602 for 10years, and now i`ve upgraded to these fantastic proacs d two, and would like to get more out of them.

As a source RGA , you`re right.. I`m using a dvd player, but is is connected with optical out , through the rotels DAC .. and the sound is very good when compared to using the analogue out of the dvd player. Nrxt month I`m buying an apple tv, and this will be my new source. I`m planning to connect it digitaly and let the rotels DAC in the peamp processor to do the music duties.

As four sound i am looking for a detailed but not overly bright sound, with a warm midrange and good enough low end. I did improve a lot when chaged from b&w to proacs, as the sound is very detailed, with exceptional midrange and very defuned and tight bass. I would like to continue to move more towards this direction. Would buying bigger rotel like the rb1080 help me get into this direction?

I guess I'd like to offer up this brief response to that last question...more power isn't more-refined power. It could even be the reverse. Warm midrange, good enough low end...you're describing something much different than more power, and something not at all unlike the Rega sound..or ProAc for that matter. Not that I'm recommending the Rega gear...I wouldn't be qualified to do that, but still...it's what I'm getting from what you've said.

Forum Regular
    Audionoob.. you`re not the only one recommanding me rega.. I` ve been recommanded by others too.. Maybe it does really work good together then! Also, from what i read...names that go well with proacs are primare and densen . Like to hear experiences from users of this forum.

Audionoob, is rega sound shut in? I mean is it detailed enough like a rotel?

Quote Originally Posted by daspaceman
    I would like to thank you all for your answers.

I do like the rotel/proac combo myself, but thought of taking my musical experience to another level by buying a dedicated power amp, just to power the new proacs VS using a 5channel power amp .I had the b&w dm602 for 10years, and now i`ve upgraded to these fantastic proacs d two, and would like to get more out of them.

As a source RGA , you`re right.. I`m using a dvd player, but is is connected with optical out , through the rotels DAC .. and the sound is very good when compared to using the analogue out of the dvd player. Nrxt month I`m buying an apple tv, and this will be my new source. I`m planning to connect it digitaly and let the rotels DAC in the peamp processor to do the music duties.

As four sound i am looking for a detailed but not overly bright sound, with a warm midrange and good enough low end. I did improve a lot when chaged from b&w to proacs, as the sound is very detailed, with exceptional midrange and very defuned and tight bass. I would like to continue to move more towards this direction. Would buying bigger rotel like the rb1080 help me get into this direction?

Well I've got the Rotel RBH 1080 @200 a channel and I am really loving this amp. I have Canton speakers which has very good detailed mids and high frequencies and a good bottom end...Nice big and wide sound stage . The 1080 is more than enough for me...if you dont think the 1080 @200 watts is enough to drive the Proacs, you could go for the 1090 @380 watts per channel. Heres the review.http://www.stereophile.com/solidpoweramps/100rotel/

And it will be under your budget so you can get some good warm interconnects if you dont have any.

frenchmon

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    W10 i5 Quad core processor 8GB RAM/Jriver 20/ Fidelizer Optimizer/ iFI Micro DSD DAC-iUSB 3.0/Vincent SA - T1/Vincent SP-331 MK /MMF-7.1/2M BLACK/MS Phenomena ll+/Canton Vento 830.2

Quote Originally Posted by daspaceman
    Audionoob.. you`re not the only one recommanding me rega.. I` ve been recommanded by others too.. Maybe it does really work good together then! Also, from what i read...names that go well with proacs are primare and densen . Like to hear experiences from users of this forum.

Audionoob, is rega sound shut in? I mean is it detailed enough like a rotel?
    Although it's beyond my level of expertise to analyze or review, Rega gear helped me figure out what I liked. I suppose that's a little odd coming from someone who owns no Rega gear, but it's the way it played out. When I decided to try a little upgrading from my revolving door of Adcom components, I think the Rega gear was the first to hit the sweet spot for me, other than gear above my budget.

I don't know if there's anything the Rega gear I heard does exceptionally well, but I think it hits the middle beautifully and the bass was well-defined. My ears are very susceptible to fatigue, so if there's a perception of missing detail caused by perhaps a slightly rolled-off treble, I'd actually be all for that. And the guy next to me might be headed for the Rotel room.

Quote Originally Posted by 02audionoob
    Although it's beyond my level of expertise to analyze or review, Rega gear helped me figure out what I liked. I suppose that's a little odd coming from someone who owns no Rega gear, but it's the way it played out. When I decided to try a little upgrading from my revolving door of Adcom components, I think the Rega gear was the first to hit the sweet spot for me, other than gear above my budget.

I don't know if there's anything the Rega gear I heard does exceptionally well, but I think it hits the middle beautifully and the bass was well-defined. My ears are very susceptible to fatigue, so if there's a perception of missing detail caused by perhaps a slightly rolled-off treble, I'd actually be all for that. And the guy next to me might be headed for the Rotel room.
    Does Rega have rolled off highs?

frenchmon

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information