AR Newbie Registered Member

Angry Please help! NAD Amp just blew up! Sonos at fault?

I am not sure what to do and could use the advice of this sage group.

Just bought Sonos a week ago. Was switching between Sonos input and photo input to test sound quality. I noticed that whatever input I chose, the Sonos input player through the amp. Strange, so I paused the digital Sonos stream.

When I went back to play the Sonos stream after the phono, my amp (NAD model C372, 1-2 years old?) started cutting out, power light changed from green to red. I thought I had volume too high (1/2 power), turned it down, powered off and then on again. Played a fraction of a second, then same problem. Repeated several times, then noticed SMOKE coming out of rear of amp!! Now will not play from any source.

What could cause a fairly new, good quality amp like that to blow up? Should I try and return the amp, even though I probably could not find receipt. If so, to retailer or contact manufacturer rep? What are chances that the Sonos unit could have done this, if it is defective? Isn't "soft clipping" on NAD meant to stop harm even if source electronics have a problem?

I certainly do not want to place a component (say, amp) only to have it burn up again if, say, Sonos is the problem.

ANY ADVICE would be GREATLY APPRECIATED.

I'll be very interested to see if any determination comes of this. I have a Logitech wireless music system and I won't put it on anything better than my Denon AV receiver. I don't trust it sending a signal to my better equipment, but I'd like to.

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by leichnitz
    I am not sure what to do and could use the advice of this sage group.

Just bought Sonos a week ago. Was switching between Sonos input and photo input to test sound quality. I noticed that whatever input I chose, the Sonos input player through the amp. Strange, so I paused the digital Sonos stream.

When I went back to play the Sonos stream after the phono, my amp (NAD model C372, 1-2 years old?) started cutting out, power light changed from green to red. I thought I had volume too high (1/2 power), turned it down, powered off and then on again. Played a fraction of a second, then same problem. Repeated several times, then noticed SMOKE coming out of rear of amp!! Now will not play from any source.

What could cause a fairly new, good quality amp like that to blow up? Should I try and return the amp, even though I probably could not find receipt. If so, to retailer or contact manufacturer rep? What are chances that the Sonos unit could have done this, if it is defective? Isn't "soft clipping" on NAD meant to stop harm even if source electronics have a problem?

I certainly do not want to place a component (say, amp) only to have it burn up again if, say, Sonos is the problem.

ANY ADVICE would be GREATLY APPRECIATED.

NAD, HARMON, and I beleive rotel went into a joint agreement to build stuff in China a few years back.
    ALL brands have suffered as a result, Harmon Kardon the worst, Nad the second.
    Rotel , with a lot of hard work fixed a lot of problems.
    BUT you need to be leery of stuff coming from China.
    A English company, Cambridge for instance, has a liason in HONG KONG that handles
    all of their Chinese manufacturing, they send the designs there and the production is handled, of course there is a long history between the English and Hong Kong.
    ANYWAY stuff like switchgear was the worst of NAD and HARMONS Chinese gear,
    and this is what it sounds like, but just a hunch.
    Or you could have too high an input source, stuff like input voltage is supposed to be pretty much standarized but you never know.
    But when I buy stuff from China I try to buy from a company that has a history of production there.
    LG 42", integra 6.9, B&W 602s2, CC6 center, dm305rears, b&w
    sub asw2500
    Panny DVDA player
    sharp Aquos BLU player
    pronto remote, technics antique direct drive TT
    Samsung SACD/DVDA player
    emotiva upa-2 two channel amp

I can't figure out how to convincingly blame the Sonos for this. At 1-1/2 y.o. the NAD is probably no longer under warranty. You can try to have it repaired, but these days, buying a replacement is probably the best route. Sorry

Quote Originally Posted by pixelthis
    A English company, Cambridge for instance, has a liason in HONG KONG that handles
    all of their Chinese manufacturing, they send the designs there and the production is handled, of course there is a long history between the English and Hong Kong.

What's wrong with Hong Kong?
    They're almost (if not completely) at the same standards as Japan...

Keep them spinning,
    Bert.
    Life is music!

Mcintosh MA6400 Integrated
    Double Advent speakers
    Thiel CS2.3's
    *DIY Lenco L75 TT
    * SME 3012 S2
    * Rega RB-301
    *Denon DL-103 in midas body
    *Denon DL-304
    *Graham slee elevator EXP & revelation
    *Lehmann audio black cube SE
    Marantz CD5001 OSE
    MIT AVt 2 IC's
    Sonic link Black earth IC's
    Siltech MXT New york IC's
    Kimber 4VS speakercable
    Furutech powercord and plugs.

I'm a happy 20 year old...

I believe NAD warrants integrated amps for two years if it was purchased from an authorized dealer. I hope you have the receipt.

As for that "sonos", that's a brand name, not an item. I don't know what item you're talking about, but I cannot see an analog line-level audio signal being fed into an analog line-level audio input causing any problems.

I do admit, I had some problems understanding exactly what you said you did, though. I'm still not sure about it. That's why my general answers.
    Last edited by markw; 05-07-2009 at 11:35 AM.

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by basite
    What's wrong with Hong Kong?
    They're almost (if not completely) at the same standards as Japan...

Keep them spinning,
    Bert.
    Sorry you misunderstood.
    Nothing wrong at all with Hong Kong.
    But being Chinese they probably have a better relationship with CHINA.
    Cambridge designs their equipment in England, shoots everything over to Hong Kong,
    who then handles everything in China for them.
    The English have a long history with China (not all of it good) , and CAMBRIDGES
    office in Hong Kong probably is one of the reason Cambridge has such reliable gear.
    Just using them as an example of how to do business in China.
    NAD and HARMON could have probably taken a few lessons from them, is all I am saying.
    LG 42", integra 6.9, B&W 602s2, CC6 center, dm305rears, b&w
    sub asw2500
    Panny DVDA player
    sharp Aquos BLU player
    pronto remote, technics antique direct drive TT
    Samsung SACD/DVDA player
    emotiva upa-2 two channel amp

Forum Regular
    When you plugged in your male rca jacks from the source to the amp you were using is there any chance both of the them touched thus causing a short ?

Take the cover off the amp..look inside to see if anything is burnt.I have the service manual if you need it for that amp.

I feel your pain.Nad's quality has taken a turn for the worse the last ten years.I own a c-270 amp from 2000. It sounds good but required a total recap recently just from the fact they used low quality caps that were already drying up and I've babied this amp not even leaving it plugged into the wall until I use it.This is not the first NAD product I've had problems with.

I periodically check dc offset and bias also trying to keep it up to spec.

I'm sorry this happened.If you see no recourse repairing it yourself or identifying the problem I would contact NAD .It sounds as if certain transistors burnt up due to a short.....clearly,I may be very wrong and hope so.
    Last edited by twc644; 05-08-2009 at 04:08 AM.
    Nad c270 amp
    Yamaha ax 700 integrated amp

Onkyo p304 preamp
    Adcom gfp 555 preamp
    Polk Monitor 30 speakers 2 pairs
    Polk Monitor 40 speakers
    Z-Audio Lambda headphone amp
    Little Dot MK III tube headphone amp/preamp

Sennheiser px100 headphones
    Tara Labs prism 33i interconnects
    Various Cable Pro cables

I wouldn't try opening it unless you're sure it's not under warranty anymore

Forum Regular
    Good point. I did'nt think about it may still be under warranty.Again, contact NAD customer service first: (905) 831-6555
    Nad c270 amp

Onkyo p304 preamp
    Adcom gfp 555 preamp
    Polk Monitor 40 speakers

Various Cable Pro cables

Forum Regular

Sonos wouldn't have caused this

A wireless source is just another source like a cd player and I see no way it's signal could wreck an amp. I am currently streaming audio from my pc through an Xmod Wireless to two integrated amps, two a/v receivers and one t-amp with great sound and no problems whatsoever.

Quote Originally Posted by Poultrygeist
    A wireless source is just another source like a cd player and I see no way it's signal could wreck an amp. I am currently streaming audio from my pc through an Xmod Wireless to two integrated amps, two a/v receivers and one t-amp with great sound and no problems whatsoever.
    Couldn't agree more.

AR Newbie Registered Member

thanks for your feedback

After reading these comments and talking to repair shops, I am convinced it was NAD issue. Two different repair shops advised that it was not worth fixing. I have been a huge fan of NAD, so feel really let down. Also, when I read the AudioReview comments on this exact model, three other people have had the exact same experience!! For a 2 year old, $750 amp, this is not acceptable. I will call the NAD number you provided. I would not have thought of that. But I am on verge of giving up on brand.
    Pixelthis - wish I had your knowledge of sourcing. If I do give up on NAD, I might circle back and ask your advice on other brands.
    Thanks everyone for your thoughts.

Forum Regular
    I'm very sorry to hear this.I wont purchase any more of their gear anytime either.My amp has been problematic at times but does sound great.The cd player when it worked had great sound,however,very spotty reliability after some time had passed.Neither was never abused by me.It's really a shame ! Good luck to you and hope you find something more reliable.

In my quest for another cd player I purchased a Cambridge A. 640C V2. Good and bad reviews for it. So far mine is a pleasure to own.Hope you'll let us know when you do find another amp.
    Nad c270 amp

Onkyo p304 preamp
    Adcom gfp 555 preamp
    Polk Monitor 40 speakers

Various Cable Pro cables

I think it cross-wired, most unfortunate incident.

If still under and valid for warranty you should still qualify to get it replaced. And don’t repeat the same indecent again.

Thread Information