Forum Regular

Question Need more power???

I am currently running a Yamaha RX-V3300 (130 wpc) with Monitor Audio Silver S-10 speakers. It appears that I do not have enough power in the receiver to drive these speakers. Movie sounds are fine, but music sounds like it's missing something.

Would running a separate amp be the cure? If so, any suggestions???

Thanks

I know exactly what you're talking about.

Quote Originally Posted by 62ssw
    I am currently running a Yamaha RX-V3300 (130 wpc) with Monitor Audio Silver S-10 speakers. It appears that I do not have enough power in the receiver to drive these speakers. Movie sounds are fine, but music sounds like it's missing something.

Thanks
    No "magic" right?

It's not power you're missing, it's current. A 200wpc receiver will likely sound no better than your current 130wpc unit. It'll play slightly louder (not much), but will it sound better? Probably not. The main problem with receivers is they often use cheap caps, marginal power supplies, and host of corner cutting solutions to keep prices in line. Combined, these can limit your speaker's performance if they present tough loads.

I had the same problem and cured it, for the most part, by adding a PS Audio HCA2. It sounded better to my ears than Rotel, B&K, Anthem, Aragon, Parasound, Krell, and Odyssey among others. That said, synergy is the key to any system so go and audition as many different amps as you can find to see what works best with your equipment.

Good luck and buy what moves you.

Silence of the spam Site Moderator Geoffcin's Avatar

Thanks
    Even the best receivers amps are not up to even a modest quality seperate. Watts are not the only criteria. Amps have personality, get the right one and hear magic come out of your speakers.
    Audio;
    Ming Da MC34-AB 75wpc
    PS Audio Classic 250. 500wpc into 4 ohms.
    PS Audio 4.5 preamp,
    Marantz 6170 TT Shure M97e cart.
    Arcam Alpha 9 CD.- 24 bit dCS Ring DAC.
    Magnepan 3.6r speakers Oak/black,

Ya separates would be the way to go. You can use your preouts (I think that version of yamaha has preouts) to connect to an amp. Here is a link for a two channel amp that will not break the bank and is used in studios and professional settings. Being a studio amp means that its built for sound quality. It has an RCA jack for line level inputs (ie. preouts).

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7/...se_pid/485522/

RGA
    Forum Regular

Thanks
    It's awefully tough t make suggestions because someone here would need to be familiar with your speakers and also be familiar with the Yamaha receiver's preamp section - which probably is not their strength judging y the kind of sound Yamaha puts out. Receivers are a compromise with music.

All is not lost you can certainly add a power amp like the others suggested and Rotel was a good match for Monitor Audio if you want to keep costs down. Rotel should also improve your surround sound. Plenty of used Rotel power amps --- and power amps are pretty safe used purchases because there are no moving parts - should last 30 yeear+

Another option is to buy a dedicated integrated amp and when you listen to music use the integrated and leave the receiver for movies. This is not that big a pain. Your dealer can explain how to do the connections.

And make sure your issue is the amp and not the speakers or room acoustics - positioning changes is critical - more critical depending on the speakers.

A lot depends on personal taste and expectations. Many systems sound absolutely stunning cinema but lack on music. It could be either the speakers, the amplifier or even both. First, pinpoint the weak area. IMNSHO, I'd try to borrow other speakers or amps before commiting $$$ to an upgrade of either.
    Last edited by markw; 05-17-2004 at 03:06 AM. Reason: spelling/clarification

Forum Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Geoffcin
    Even the best receivers amps are not up to even a modest quality seperate. Watts are not the only criteria. Amps have personality, get the right one and hear magic come out of your speakers.

And where did you get this nonsense? Amps have personality? LOL That is funny.
    Yep, magic in audio, to most golden ears, it is.
    mtrycrafts

Forum Regular

Thanks

What do you think you are missing? How do you know you are missing something?
    Unless the speakers are very difficult to drive, or not sensitive enough, it could be your speakers, room acoustics or the recording itself. But, if it sounds fine on movies, then forget the amp.
    mtrycrafts

AR Newbie Registered Member

Similar problem.Please help

Hi,I have the following .
    Pioneer amp VSXD811S
    B&W 603S3 front speakers
    B&W LCR centre speaker
    B&W LMI as rears and A wharfdale powercube 10 for a sub.
    When listening to movies the system is OK .
    However when you listening to Music in stereo through the 603's it lack grunt and amp clips when loud.
    I am looking at the option of adding a Plinilus amp SA100mkII to drive the two main speakers and use the pioneer as the pre amp.Is there a way I still can use the pioneer amp for movies on DTS mode and have it function as a pre amp for music ?

Silence of the spam Site Moderator Geoffcin's Avatar

A simple fix

Quote Originally Posted by David1234
    Hi,I have the following .
    Pioneer amp VSXD811S
    B&W 603S3 front speakers
    B&W LCR centre speaker
    B&W LMI as rears and A wharfdale powercube 10 for a sub.
    When listening to movies the system is OK .
    However when you listening to Music in stereo through the 603's it lack grunt and amp clips when loud.
    I am looking at the option of adding a Plinilus amp SA100mkII to drive the two main speakers and use the pioneer as the pre amp.Is there a way I still can use the pioneer amp for movies on DTS mode and have it function as a pre amp for music ?
    Is to set your speakers to SMALL for stereo, and use the sub for the bass range.

You can also add an amp easily by sending the preamp output of the receiver to the outboard amp. This will not affect the operation of the receiver, and you will still have the ability to play movies in DD, and DTS. This is the way I have my HT setup, and it makes a big difference having the mains hooked to a quality amp.

Forum Regular
    I am looking at the option of adding a Plinilus amp SA100mkII to drive the two main speakers and use the pioneer as the pre amp.Is there a way I still can use the pioneer amp for movies on DTS mode and have it function as a pre amp for music?
    I'm sorry, but hooking that amp up to your Pioneer is like eating french fries with your caviar.

NAD would be a safe, inexpenseve bet for those speakers. It will definately have the current and control your speakers may need. I heard the C372 drive the S8 and it was very musical.
    Dynaudio Audience 60
    Audio Refinement Complete Integrated
    Sony DVP-NC685V CD/SACD/DVD
    Audioquest Viper Interconnect
    14AWG OFC Speaker cable

"hey dreaming it up accounts for half the fun - and time"

Thread Information