Forum Regular

Question Is it ok to leave my headphones plugged in...

... to my reviever all of the time? Will this cause any degredation in the sound from the speakers, or hog up to much power from my reciever that should be going to my speakers?

Cheers,
    Waxxiemann

The Collector
    you can leave them plugged in as long as you want. it doesn't take any power to run headphones, plus they are powered by their own very small amp inside of the receiver

Forum Regular
    Well thank you very much. Ya learn somthing new every day.

Forum Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by pelly3s
    plus they are powered by their own very small amp inside of the receiver
    I agree the power they use is negligible, but in many (most?) receivers they run off the same power amp as the speakers, with a simple series resistor on each channel to reduce signal level. High end integrated amps are more likely to have separate headphone amps.

Your headphones will likely change their characteristics somewhat as they burn in over the first 40 - 100 hours (my Sennheisers improved dramatically). After that, there should be no noticeable effect.

Suspended
    Quote Originally Posted by Waxxiemann
    ... to my reviever all of the time? Will this cause any degredation in the sound from the speakers, or hog up to much power from my reciever that should be going to my speakers?

Cheers,
    Waxxiemann
    The only issue in my mind is the sensitivity of the headphone vs. the output level of the headphone amplifier section in relation to volume setting. If at the volume setting used to listen to speakers, the headphones are producing very high levels with audible clipping/distortion, then the headphones will probably be damaged after a period. However, if the sound output from the headphones at this level is not distorting, then they should be okay. SOme recievers automaticly switch to headphones when they aer plugged in and disconnect the speakers automaticly. Some have manualy switches. I guess some may also allow both to be used simultaneously. I suppose you have one of these?

-Chris

Thread Information