Forum Regular

How do you tell if an amp has a high current level?

Is there any way to tell in the specs if a receiver delivers a high level of current, or do you have to take the dealer's or manufacturer's word for it? I've got a pair of B&W 604 S3's that I use for mains, along with an LCR 600 S3 center channel. I've just started looking for a receiver or a processor/amp combo that will make these babies shine in two channel as well as for HT. I demoed them with the new Rotel 1067, and it sounded great, but $2300 is a bit more than I'd like to spend for a receiver. The dealer said that the B&Ws sounded so good with the Rotel because it delivers a large amount of current. So I checked out the Rotel's specs, and there is no mention of any current... anybody know how to figure it out? Thanks... Rob

Do you think you posted this question in enough forums?

A little overkill.....

Suspended
    You do pretty much have to rely on the sales rep or manufacturer. I've seen manufacturers mention high current mostly in the description portion of the manual. The advantage of having a high current design is formost, driving difficult speaker loads, you should also notice better control and punch in the bass. I personally wouldn't have anything else but a high current amp. As you will soon read many here are ignorant to the benefits of high current and even deny it exists. But companies like Krell, Bryston, Levinson or most any high end solid state amp is proof enough.

In mass market products the only true high current design receivers I'm aware of are HK and Onkyo. I can vouch for Onkyo but I haven't played with any HK lately. The Arcam AVR100 for around $1k is high current and sounds great, they also have a new model coming out with more power and updated HT features. Denon or Marantz, although not high current, still make a clean sounding receiver. Both of which have receivers over $2k. It sounds like $2,300. might have been sticker shock but they get up there these days. You are correct in looking for the best value, just don't sacrafice quality. One receiver at $2k may offer multi room functions and many other bells & whistles you may or may not want where another at $2k put the money in better parts and design yielding better sound performance.

Forum Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by traut
    Is there any way to tell in the specs if a receiver delivers a high level of current, or do you have to take the dealer's or manufacturer's word for it? I've got a pair of B&W 604 S3's that I use for mains, along with an LCR 600 S3 center channel. I've just started looking for a receiver or a processor/amp combo that will make these babies shine in two channel as well as for HT. I demoed them with the new Rotel 1067, and it sounded great, but $2300 is a bit more than I'd like to spend for a receiver. The dealer said that the B&Ws sounded so good with the Rotel because it delivers a large amount of current. So I checked out the Rotel's specs, and there is no mention of any current... anybody know how to figure it out? Thanks... Rob

An amp is high current if it is rated for continuous operation of speakers with low impedances, 4 ohms or less.
    mtrycrafts

Silence of the spam Site Moderator Geoffcin's Avatar

Very easy

Quote Originally Posted by traut

A high current amp will double it's power rating as the resistance halves. ie; 100 watts into 8 ohms becomes 200 watts into 4 ohms. While there are several receivers that are capable of driving 4 ohm speakers, there are non that I know of that can be rated as a truly high current design.
    Audio;
    Ming Da MC34-AB 75wpc
    PS Audio Classic 250. 500wpc into 4 ohms.
    PS Audio 4.5 preamp,
    Marantz 6170 TT Shure M97e cart.
    Arcam Alpha 9 CD.- 24 bit dCS Ring DAC.
    Magnepan 3.6r speakers Oak/black,

Thread Information