Forum Regular

NAD 2200 Power Envelope - HELP!!!!

Hey guys....I just found a NAD 2200 Power Envelope in the trash the other day and at first it appeared to only have a blow fuse. So i replaced this fuse and it worked fine for a few minutes...but then one of the channels went off and the other one a bit later. I noticed that when i tapped the two relays near the input/output jacks in the rear, it would begin playing and then stopped within a second or just crackle when i tapped it. Also, when the amp is turned off, the speakers make an extremely loud pop. I am not much of a pro on audio but this amp sounded great when it first worked and i would like to get it working again. I was told by one person that I would just need to replace the relays w/ some simular audio quality ones. I have soldering skills so that's no problem, but i dont want to put out the money without knowing if something else could also be the problem. If it is the relays then which relays would be the best and where can i get them? Thanks

ummm....theres probably a reason that amp was in the trash...

Forum Regular
    It was probably in the trash because this guy didnt want to take the time to figure it out and fix it. I think i know what's wrong with it but i want to double check if there's anything else that could possibly be wrong with it before i put out the cash for new relays.

Forum Regular
    I have just tried resolding the same relays back in and now both channels work fine.......one site said that the relay were never soldering in right by the manufacturer (NAD). But one problem still remains.....the speakers still pop when i turn it off...i have no idea why..i shut of the source before i turn it off...i even tried unplugging the preamp and shutting it off just by itself....same thing..

AR Newbie Registered Member

NAD 2200 experiencing crackle on one channel

Hi all,

Since I could find no better place with so many experienced enthusiasts as well as a timely thread about the trusty NAD 2200's, I thought I might list my own troubles.

I have a set of monoblocked NAD 2200's (they're awesome!). However, recently one of the amps has started to suffer from random crackles and loud hissing at times, which miraculously disappears for sometime (even a few days). Is this because of the relays being poorly soldered as experienced by 'maxxoholic420'?

I did notice that tinkering with the binding post at the back offers some temporary relief at times. I'm thinking perhaps even the solder on the binding post (which is coupled directly to the PCB) might be in question.

Being a bit of a DIY fella who can weild a soldering iron, I might as well give the old powerhouse a shot at revival before throwing in the towel. Professional repairs are an expensive nuisane in England, therefore, any help and suggestions are welcome.

Thanks.

sometimes one mans trash is another mans treasure...hope you get that sucker to work.

Forum Regular
    I talked to an audio repair shop nearby where i live and i am considering letting him fix it for me as they do not sell anymore relays like the one's in the 2200. He will have to just get different relays, glue them upside-down to the PCB and then just route the wires to the corresponding place on the PCB. The repair, including parts, will run me about $90. As far as the problem with the crackling, I have hear that of issues w/ the binding posts be soldering incorrectly too. The guy that I want to repair my amp said that these are really the only two main issues w/ this amp. Otherwise, he said that it was "bulletproof"

Quote Originally Posted by maxxoholic420
    I talked to an audio repair shop nearby where i live and i am considering letting him fix it for me as they do not sell anymore relays like the one's in the 2200. He will have to just get different relays, glue them upside-down to the PCB and then just route the wires to the corresponding place on the PCB. The repair, including parts, will run me about $90. As far as the problem with the crackling, I have hear that of issues w/ the binding posts be soldering incorrectly too. The guy that I want to repair my amp said that these are really the only two main issues w/ this amp. Otherwise, he said that it was "bulletproof"
    Hi there,

Many thanks for your response and the useful suggestions. Next time there's an incessant crackle, I'm resoldering the relays and binding posts. Off hand, an independent repairer quoted me £150-200 over the phone for the repairs in England (i.e. US$ 250-300!).

As for obtaining original spares like relays, try to get in touch with Lenbrook UK Ltd., they are the authorised service centre for NAD equipment of all vintage in the UK. You can email them to see if they can send you a few spares to wherever you are. They were very helpful last time I contacted them and promptly replied to my email. There details are as under.

Lenbrook UK Ltd.
    2, Old Wolverton Road
    Old Wolverton
    Milton Keynes MK12 5NP
    UK

Tel: 01908 319360
    Fax: 01908 322752
    e-mail: info@lenbrook.co.uk

Hope this helps :-)

The amp is not worth it, my friend with the Magnepan MGI bought it on ebay for 120 bucks and the crackling, and channel volume difference was there too. My technician, who usually repairs more fancy equipment was kind enough to have a look at it and said it wasnt worth the 50$ repair. So, my advice is to fix it dirt cheap if you can but dont bother with a expensive repair.
    Lots of music but not enough time for it all

Dear Florian,

Although I have every respect for your opinion, I strongly disagree with your advice of dispensing with the NAD 2200 amp for a mere $50 worth of repairs. Your technician's opinion here is without merit because maybe he isn't very well versed with this amp's capability and sonic performance. This amp runs in class A/B at low volumes and switches to class B operation at higher volumes becuase the audio circuit is fully complementary DC-coupled class A/B and remains a strong favourite with budget systems. You only need to read all the glowing reviews elsewhere on this website to corroborate this. To replace it would mean a further investment of $300-500 for an equivalent match in the second-hand market. Clearly an economically 'unviable' solution.

Well, my technician usually repairs more fancy equipment and judges very very harshly. Personally, i heard the NAD and i wouldnt spend more then 100 bucks on it. Class AB is absolutly nothing special, and it should run in class A for the first couple of watts and then switch to AB. But to be AB to beginn with is really nothing special.

But i accept your opinion, i just dont agree.

:-)
    Lots of music but not enough time for it all

Forum Regular
    Thank you Muneer, I have contact Lenbrook UK and they do have the correct replacement relays. Two of the will run me $25. I am just awaiting a shipping quote, which i wouldnt image to be too high considering they are just two small relays, and then i guess ill be ready to order a pair. This will save me more than half of what i would have to pay. And in reply to Florian, I'm not a big audiophile by any means. I just like to listen to music that sounds good. I'm not going to looks at what class it runs at, at which particular wattage. I dont listen to classical music that requires $2000 amps to hear every single detail. I'm more of a metal/oldies rock guy anyway
    Ohh...and thanks again Muneer! YOU ARE THE MAN!

Hi maxxoholic420

I'm glad I've been of help. As for me I haven't sorted out the crackle on the amplifier yet. I'll probably pop the hood one of these days when I get more time.

As for Florian's comment, he's correct. I went back and checked the literature on the NAD 2200. It actually operates in Class A at low volumes and switches to Class A/B at higher levels. That's one more reason to cherish your good ol' NAD 200 amp!!!

Cheers

Muneer

Forum Regular
    I know this is an old thread but I have a 2200 with a bad speaker protection relay and wonder if the afore mentioned:

Lenbrook UK Ltd.
    2, Old Wolverton Road
    Old Wolverton
    Milton Keynes MK12 5NP
    UK

Tel: 01908 319360
    Fax: 01908 322752
    e-mail: info@lenbrook.co.uk

is still in business with the relays?

Thread Information