Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Talking My new 'toy' !!!

Last night was (dare I say it) magical.

yesterday we went to pick up my new integrated amp, after waiting (and working) one and a half month.

and I do have to say,

those blue meters are even better than I imagined they would be

they're nice aren't they

more of them...

here it is at night, we played with lightning a little, it's impossible to photograph without the extra light...

that's it for now, next photos when the rack is finished (which might take a few weeks, it'll be pretty heavy constructed and completely veneered, that takes time)

so anyways, In case you hadn't noticed, I got a Mcintosh MA-6400 integrated amp.
    I also upgraded my cables to Kimber 4VS.

and I love it! I love the look of it, the feel of it, the sound, everything!

It's a wonder, sound is amazing, it's much more life like, never harsh, never boring, it's perfect, I don't think I'll be needing a new amp for the next years, this thing is amazing!

It doesn't only look high end, it feels high end too actually, the front is glass, fully metal knobs, really well built.

It's really big too, and heavy! (it dwarfed my denon integrated in every possible way) inside there are pretty big heatsinks, a really big tranny and 2 huge 30.000 µF caps (60.000 µf alltogether, that's 12.000 µF more as a parasound halo A23 !) all high quality parts everywhere, drop dead georgeous looks (including the blue meters )

So I now officially belong to the Mcintosh family, I don't know how often it happens though that a 17 year old buys himself a Mac
    it was the best 'birthday present' I could wish, as we picked it up at my birthday...
    so I'm off now, gotta do some more listening

ow yeah, nearly forgot:

Happy B-day JRA!
    have a great one!

Keep them spinning,
    Bert.
    Life is music!

Mcintosh MA6400 Integrated
    Double Advent speakers
    Thiel CS2.3's
    *DIY Lenco L75 TT
    * SME 3012 S2
    * Rega RB-301
    *Denon DL-103 in midas body
    *Denon DL-304
    *Graham slee elevator EXP & revelation
    *Lehmann audio black cube SE
    Marantz CD5001 OSE
    MIT AVt 2 IC's
    Sonic link Black earth IC's
    Siltech MXT New york IC's
    Kimber 4VS speakercable
    Furutech powercord and plugs.

I'm a happy 20 year old...

Alright!!!

Quote Originally Posted by basite
    Last night was (dare I say it) magical.

yesterday we went to pick up my new integrated amp, after waiting (and working) one and a half month.

and I do have to say,

those blue meters are even better than I imagined they would be

that's it for now, next photos when the rack is finished (which might take a few weeks, it'll be pretty heavy constructed and completely veneered, that takes time)

so anyways, In case you hadn't noticed, I got a Mcintosh MA-6400 integrated amp.
    I also upgraded my cables to Kimber 4VS.

and I love it! I love the look of it, the feel of it, the sound, everything!

It's a wonder, sound is amazing, it's much more life like, never harsh, never boring, it's perfect, I don't think I'll be needing a new amp for the next years, this thing is amazing!

It doesn't only look high end, it feels high end too actually, the front is glass, fully metal knobs, really well built.

It's really big too, and heavy! (it dwarfed my denon integrated in every possible way) inside there are pretty big heatsinks, a really big tranny and 2 huge 30.000 µF caps (60.000 µf alltogether, that's 12.000 µF more as a parasound halo A23 !) all high quality parts everywhere, drop dead georgeous looks (including the blue meters )

So I now officially belong to the Mcintosh family, I don't know how often it happens though that a 17 year old buys himself a Mac
    it was the best 'birthday present' I could wish, as we picked it up at my birthday...
    so I'm off now, gotta do some more listening

ow yeah, nearly forgot:

Happy B-day JRA!
    have a great one!

Keep them spinning,
    Bert.
    Bert, congradulations. I'm on record as loving the look and feel of Mac. Yes, a youngster like yourself deserves kudos for going after the likes of a unit like this. McIntosh has a great and enduring reputation. Admittedly the only McIntosh I've owned was a C712 preamp, and that only briefly, but I did like it lot.

For those who would like more technical details the MA6400 and most other Mac units, check out Berner's Site ...
    http://www.berners.ch/McIntosh/en/Frame_McIntosh.htm
    (click on 'Integrate amp').

Also the Roger Russell site ...
    http://www.roger-russell.com/amppre.htm

Say, maybe your next upgrade will be some new shelves, eh?

Congrats, Congrats, Congrats, Congrats!!!!!!!!!!!!

Great, now we are all forced to upgrade our gears, cuz we can't have you playing around with with one of the greatest receivers ever made.

This is super insane, Bert. Probably the nicest thing a 17 year old could ever own, or any age for that matter. Looks like you worked very hard this summer to get what you want, and I dont think you could've acquired anything better. GREAT CHOICE!!

I still can't believe you got it.

I dont even know what elese to say anymore, except HAPPY SPINNING!!

JRA

WOW! That MA-6400 looks fantastic. And I bet it sounds even better than it looks. Great job picking this baby up, at any age. I wish you many happy years together. You deserve it.
    WARNING! - The Surgeon General has determined that, time spent listening to music is not deducted from one's lifespan.

Department of Heuristics and Research on Material Applications
    One of my very favorite brands in all of audio. Keep hoping to find one covered in dust at the back of a pawnshop...someday.

Congrats dude, that's a nice unit!

Forum Regular
    The beauty of owning something like this at age-17 is that, in the very long run, it will save you a ton of money because you'll (basically) never have to shop for amplification again, ever.

And yes, by the way, the rest of us are definitely eating our hearts out.

thanks for the comments

I didn't expect that it would drive my speakers this good actually, but I'm spinning Shirley Horn now, and it's hovering around 0.1 watt, nudging 1 watt (sometimes 2 watts) and I'm getting nice results now, good for evening listening, a few moments ago I was 'testing' it a little by playing trentemoller - the last resort and massive attack - mezzanine and it nudged 40 watts there for a moment, turned it up a little more so it hit 100 watts for a blink of a second and that was loud

although loud is a wrong way of saying it, the sound doesn't go 'loud' but it kinda 'grows'...
    I've played lots of cd's already today and yesterday too, I was mighty impressed, everything sounds so real, voices are like the real thing (everything else is too btw ).
    also one thing that I instantly noticed is how quiet it is, I played some of the cd's Bernd sent me as a musical care package (Thanks again btw), and they were drop dead quiet!
    I think I should move my system to a bigger room for a few days (like the living room or so ) to see what it can really do...

Quote Originally Posted by Feanor
    Say, maybe your next upgrade will be some new shelves, eh?
    shelves (home made, of course) are being worked on at the moment, but veneering takes time...

Keep them spinning,
    Bert.
    Life is music!

Double Advent speakers
    Thiel CS2.3's
    *DIY Lenco L75 TT
    * SME 3012 S2
    * Rega RB-301
    *Denon DL-304
    Marantz CD5001 OSE
    MIT AVt 2 IC's
    Kimber 4VS speakercable

Forum Regular
    What is the "sensitivity" rating for your speakers? I only ask because it might not be such a big surprise that 1 watt is plenty at normal listening levels. 90db is about all the sound that most people can take if they're trying to do anything else at the same time (or, for some people, even if they're not), and a speaker with a 90db sensitivity will need one watt to make that much sound.

You either already know what I'm about to say because you're smart enough to buy a Mac (probably), or haven't yet heard this because you're 17 (unlikely), but the reason this spec is so important when matching speakers and electronics is that it takes double the power -- regardless of starting point -- to make each 3db increase in sound. That means that a pair of 84-db speakers will require 32 watts (not counting headroom) to make the same amount of clean sound as 1 watt into a pair of 99-db speakers. ...Not that anyone other than Klipsch (ack!) is making speakers with that high a sensitivity.

It's not exactly relevant for this, celebratory thread, but just for the record the reason the amp is only needing 1 watt to make the sound you want has as much or more to do with the speakers.

I'm not entirely sure about the sensetivity rating on my speakers, they're stacked advents, I believe a single pair of advents was like 88 - 89 db @ 1meter (maybe a little less) stacked that sensetivity increases with 6 db, however, due to some troubles with phase interference between the bottom pair of tweeters and the top pair of speakers, I disabled the bottom pair of speakers and set the top pair to 'increased' so I think the sensetivity rating is still around 90 db @ 1 meter, maybe slightly more...

at normal listening levels (as I said before) it's averaging 0.1 watts (one tenth of a watt) with peaks of 1 watt, and sometimes 2 watts (I should have said that the 1 & 2 watts were on peaks )
    Life is music!

Double Advent speakers
    Thiel CS2.3's
    *DIY Lenco L75 TT
    * SME 3012 S2
    * Rega RB-301
    *Denon DL-304
    Marantz CD5001 OSE
    MIT AVt 2 IC's
    Kimber 4VS speakercable

Where's Kex when you need him?

I'm not entirely sure about the sensetivity rating on my speakers, they're stacked advents, I believe a single pair of advents was like 88 - 89 db @ 1meter (maybe a little less) stacked that sensetivity increases with 6 db, however, due to some troubles with phase interference between the bottom pair of tweeters and the top pair of speakers, I disabled the bottom pair of speakers and set the top pair to 'increased' so I think the sensetivity rating is still around 90 db @ 1 meter, maybe slightly more...

at normal listening levels (as I said before) it's averaging 0.1 watts (one tenth of a watt) with peaks of 1 watt, and sometimes 2 watts (I should have said that the 1 & 2 watts were on peaks )
    My doubtful understanding is that the sensitivity, (actually the output), with two identical drivers is +6 dB, but only if they are identical and are positioned within 1/8 of a wavelength of each other. Your two Advent Tweeters would not meet the proximity condition, (hence you get interference, i.e. Dopler effects, depending on the listening position). Your woofers would meet the proximity definition only towards the bottom in their range, not up close to the tweater crossover point. (This is why I'm doubtful of the Dual Advent concept, though a lot of people think it's great -- the corresponding drivers are not close enough together to ensure blending, and that aspect is exacerbated by the fact that the tweaters aren't aligned vertically.)

congrats...

McIntosh's are built like tanks, yet sound so smooth and warm. I don't think you'll ever regret getting that baby. You'll get bored with your speakers long before that amp.

nightflier
    Basite,

Where did you buy it? Is it new or used? Can we ask how much you paid for it?

I'm only asking because when I was 17, I worked a whole summer to buy a casette-playing Sony Walkman, the iPod of my generation.

Quote Originally Posted by nightflier
    Basite,

I'm only asking because when I was 17, I worked a whole summer to buy a casette-playing Sony Walkman, the iPod of my generation.
    iTape or iCassette just doesn't have the same ring to it does it???

Department of Heuristics and Research on Material Applications
    Quote Originally Posted by Feanor
    My doubtful understanding is that the sensitivity, (actually the output), with two identical drivers is +6 dB, but only if they are identical and are positioned within 1/8 of a wavelength of each other. Your two Advent Tweeters would not meet the proximity condition, (hence you get interference, i.e. Dopler effects, depending on the listening position). Your woofers would meet the proximity definition only towards the bottom in their range, not up close to the tweater crossover point. (This is why I'm doubtful of the Dual Advent concept, though a lot of people think it's great -- the corresponding drivers are not close enough together to ensure blending, and that aspect is exacerbated by the fact that the tweaters aren't aligned vertically.)
    I'm with you on this - all depends how they're wired, of course, but I assume it was parallel? When you wire an identical driver in parallel you get the +6dB boost, in series you get 0 dB effectively.

Quote Originally Posted by kexodusc
    I'm with you on this - all depends how they're wired, of course, but I assume it was parallel? When you wire an identical driver in parallel you get the +6dB boost, in series you get 0 dB effectively.
    The best way for doubling Advents is to run them parallel where most SS amps also put out more power at the nominal 4 ohm load (which falls to 2.3 in two ranges - so not all amps are happy here) and to use separate speaker cable runs. You definitely get +6db when run that way. All Advents take a bit of space between them and the listener for the drivers to blend optimally, but stacking them in a quasi D'Apolito arrangement noticeably improves their apparent image size.

I run a Threshold Stasis 3 amp (400 watts/4 ohms) with my double New Advents and find that I rarely run higher than -20 db (about 4 watts) which is LOUD. Because of their Scream Machine Roller Coaster impedance curve, they really need a bit more DF than the 6400's 40 to sound their best IMHO.

rw

...due to some troubles with phase interference between the bottom pair of tweeters and the top pair of speakers, I disabled the bottom pair of speakers
    That is not inherently a problem using double Advents. Perhaps the wiring was reversed or the crossover network changed when the non-standard woofers were installed in your first pair.

rw

Super Moderator Site Moderator JohnMichael's Avatar
    Bert that is one incredible amp. I bet Shirley Horn sounds sweet. Good job young man.
    JohnMichael
    Vinyl Rega Planar 2, Incognito rewire, Deepgroove subplatter, ceramic bearing, Michell Technoweight, Rega 24V motor, TTPSU, FunkFirm Achroplat platter, Michael Lim top and bottom braces, 2 Rega feet and one RDC cones. Grado Sonata, Moon 110 LP phono.
    Digital
    Sony SCD-XA5400ES SACD/cd SID mat, Marantz SA 8001
    Int. Amp Krell S-300i
    Speaker
    Monitor Audio RS6
    Cables
    AQ SPKR and AQ XLR and IC

Man of the People Forums Moderator bobsticks's Avatar
    Congrats, Bert!! I know you've been waiting for this for a hot minute and now comes the fun part--the spinning. Welcome to the pitch black deep background and smooth transparency. Aaahhh, lovely...

Peace

Thanks

Basite,

sure you can ask

I bought it in at a Mcintosh dealer, it is used, but not abused, I paid €1600 (Mcintosh is pretty expensive here in europe, the retail price (new) was around €4500)

I've been spinning the albums that Bernd sent me for days now, along with even more albums of my own

Keep them spinning,
    Bert.
    Life is music!

Double Advent speakers
    Thiel CS2.3's
    *DIY Lenco L75 TT
    * SME 3012 S2
    * Rega RB-301
    *Denon DL-304
    Marantz CD5001 OSE
    MIT AVt 2 IC's
    Kimber 4VS speakercable

nightflier

This McIntosh is no Apple

I bought it in at a Mcintosh dealer, it is used, but not abused, I paid €1600 (Mcintosh is pretty expensive here in europe, the retail price (new) was around €4500)
    Mmmm, I know I'm in the minority here when I say I'm not too fond of the McIntosh look (still looks to antiquy for me), but there are some other amps in that price and performance range I wouldn't mind owning. What keeps sticking in my mind is what dogorman said, about this being such a good investment over time. These past few years, I've literally replaced my whole two-channel system from top to bottom at least three times - but if I had an amp with the kind of pedigree that yours has, that would have been two components less I would have replaced (amp & preamp).

It also allows one to become truly familiar with the sound of that component so that everything else connected to it and exchanged over time becomes peripheral - i.e. it becomes the baseline for everything else connected to it. How many of us can say that a specific piece of equipment is the constant in their systems, without wishing for something better? In that respect, the cost, over time (not to mention the health benefits brought on by the peace of mind), becomes an afterthought.

Yes, you could own this amp for 20-30 years without ever wishing for anything more. McIntosh is certainly not the most expensive out there, but it's reputation for reliability, quality, and for some, looks, make it a piece worthy of heirloom status. Heck, some McIntoshes sell for much more used than what they cost when new - how many manufacturers can make that claim? I bet there are many audiophiles out there who would rather own a Mac than an amp twice its price, or maybe at any price. I can't think of many other brands out there that carry that kind of reputation (Levinson? Krell? Dynaudio?).

So yes, the amp was an extremely good investment.

Man of the People Forums Moderator bobsticks's Avatar
    First, to 'flier I would say I completely respect your view and preferences as far as appearances go. Different strokes for different folks and variety is the spice of life and all that...plus it might mean mean more Mac gear for me

How many of us can say that a specific piece of equipment is the constant in their systems, without wishing for something better? In that respect, the cost, over time (not to mention the health benefits brought on by the peace of mind), becomes an afterthought.

So yes, the amp was an extremely good investment.
    It's funny because I was just saying this to another member yesterday. In analyzing the many areas of opportunity in my system I was asked about an amp change. The response was swift indeed. I've heard alot more "hi-fi" sounding amps but mine reliably presents music the way I want it to, and for significantly less than similar options. Sure, one of those big WAV VAC tube anvils would be the definition of heaven on earth but...

Bert, I hope you get as many hours of enjoyment out of your new baby as I have mine.

Peace

Congrats again, Bert.

I'm very curious to hear about the built-n phono stage in your Mac. Looks like it is capabile of handling low output moving coil such as your 103 @ 22K. Alot of people use LOMC with 47K phono stage with extreme VTA to compensate for the bright sound stage. I can;t remember if your TT had a VTA adjustment, but I'm wondering if it's something you can achieve by adding thicker mat.

ps - you need to stop staring at your meters

JRA

McIntosh...

I am torn on the look and can understand nightflier's viewpoint as well, but anyone who has heard and used their product know that the glowing green lights mean very little when the sound is soooooo superb. What I can appreciate about McIntosh is that they have kept the same look and feel of their product and now it has a very vintage/retro look, which is kinda neat, but again...their quality has never been in question!

I have a friend who has been an avid McIntosh user for many years and his joke is that when the nuclear bomb hits the only things left besides Cochroaches and Cher's nose will be his ams!

Quote Originally Posted by jrhymeammo
    Congrats again, Bert.

I'm very curious to hear about the built-n phono stage in your Mac. Looks like it is capabile of handling low output moving coil such as your 103 @ 22K. Alot of people use LOMC with 47K phono stage with extreme VTA to compensate for the bright sound stage. I can;t remember if your TT had a VTA adjustment, but I'm wondering if it's something you can achieve by adding thicker mat.
    Haven't tried that, it's a moving magnet (only) phonopre in the Mac, dunno wether it will work, but I'll try, since I'm curious too

Quote Originally Posted by jrhymeammo
    ps - you need to stop staring at your meters

JRA

I can't, they're too attractive

Quote Originally Posted by PSkies
    I am torn on the look and can understand nightflier's viewpoint as well, but anyone who has heard and used their product know that the glowing green lights mean very little when the sound is soooooo superb. What I can appreciate about McIntosh is that they have kept the same look and feel of their product and now it has a very vintage/retro look, which is kinda neat, but again...their quality has never been in question!

I have a friend who has been an avid McIntosh user for many years and his joke is that when the nuclear bomb hits the only things left besides Cochroaches and Cher's nose will be his ams!
    the sound is more than superb, and I think the looks alone are worth buying it, but that's my opinion

and yes, they are built like a tank

Quote Originally Posted by Bobsticks
    Bert, I hope you get as many hours of enjoyment out of your new baby as I have mine.

Peace
    I will, trust me

Keep them spinning,
    Bert.
    Life is music!

Double Advent speakers
    Thiel CS2.3's
    *DIY Lenco L75 TT
    * SME 3012 S2
    * Rega RB-301
    *Denon DL-304
    Marantz CD5001 OSE
    MIT AVt 2 IC's
    Kimber 4VS speakercable

Suspended
    Maybe when I become president of Texas Instruments I'll be in a better position to buy one myself!

Congrats on your purchase Bert. It must be something for your ears to behold.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information