Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Just for the record, I like how it looks.
    Wish I had one.
    WARNING! - The Surgeon General has determined that, time spent listening to music is not deducted from one's lifespan.

Love 'em or hate 'em

As more than one person has observed, appearance-wise you either really like McIntosh or your really don't.

I'm in the former camp. I love all McIntosh generations including the current one, but I do wish they go back to the all metal knob, i.e. without the black centers, like they used back in the '70s
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails My new 'toy' !!!-mcintosh_combo.jpg  

Quote Originally Posted by nightflier
    Mmmm, I know I'm in the minority here when I say I'm not too fond of the McIntosh look (still looks to antiquy for me), but there are some other amps in that price and performance range I wouldn't mind owning.
    Me too, but that's simply an aesthetic observation. In my case, I recall the insipid sound of the Mac gear I first heard in their dark days of the 70s (C-28, MC-2105) and went seeking and found better. At the time, they were also preoccupied with THD which we all know to be a largely useless metric. Which likely explains why their stuff measured fine, but sounded poor at least when compared with gear like Audio Research, Mark Levinson, etc. Having said that, their current product is quite different and much improved.

McIntosh is certainly not the most expensive out there, but it's reputation for reliability, quality, and for some, looks, make it a piece worthy of heirloom status.
    Agreed. Quality and factory support have always been first rate and resale is excellent for most models.

rw

Quote Originally Posted by GMichael
    Just for the record, I like how it looks.
    Wish I had one.

never stop wishing, look where I got with wishing
    Life is music!

Mcintosh MA6400 Integrated
    Double Advent speakers
    Thiel CS2.3's
    *DIY Lenco L75 TT
    * SME 3012 S2
    * Rega RB-301
    *Denon DL-103 in midas body
    *Denon DL-304
    *Graham slee elevator EXP & revelation
    *Lehmann audio black cube SE
    Marantz CD5001 OSE
    MIT AVt 2 IC's
    Sonic link Black earth IC's
    Siltech MXT New york IC's
    Kimber 4VS speakercable
    Furutech powercord and plugs.

I'm a happy 20 year old...

nightflier

I was under the impression that yoru MAC has a LOMC phono input with a switch.

Can anyone tell me what this statement means?

SENSITIVITY
    Phono: 2.5mV for rated output, (0.5mV IHF)
    High Level: 250mV for rated output, (50mV IHF)

I thought this High Level input is for accommodating low output cart.

Is it just another JRA moment?

btw, I LOVE the apperance of MAC.

JRA

Quote Originally Posted by basite
    never stop wishing, look where I got with wishing
    and just think...if you think the Mac sounds good now, wait til you get some speakers that will show off that sound even more!

Quote Originally Posted by jrhymeammo
    I was under the impression that yoru MAC has a LOMC phono input with a switch.

Can anyone tell me what this statement means?

SENSITIVITY
    Phono: 2.5mV for rated output, (0.5mV IHF)
    High Level: 250mV for rated output, (50mV IHF)

I thought this High Level input is for accommodating low output cart.

Is it just another JRA moment?

btw, I LOVE the apperance of MAC.

JRA

it's switchable between a MM phono input (Phono) and an aux input (High level) the aux is just a regular Line input, for a cd player or so...

However, i'd like to try the phonopre, I just don't have a good MM cart
    Life is music!

Double Advent speakers
    Thiel CS2.3's
    *DIY Lenco L75 TT
    * SME 3012 S2
    * Rega RB-301
    *Denon DL-304
    Marantz CD5001 OSE
    MIT AVt 2 IC's
    Kimber 4VS speakercable

Mutant from table 9
    Hope its not too late to offer a congrats. That is just too bad ass. I know your putting together a new equipment rack for it, but I think its kinda cool having it on cardboard boxes. It lets everyone know where your priorities lay.

Also it is amazing how getting an amp with power meters helps you realize how meaningless "watts" really are. I still have not gotten my meters above 30 watts with 93db sensitivity speakers. Too loud!

Oh, and put me down for a vote in favor of Macs looks.

"Tha H-Dog listens easy, always has, always will." - Herbert Kornfeld (R.I.P.)

"I lick the mothra moniters because they pump up the base!!" - Dusty Beiber

Quote Originally Posted by SlumpBuster
    Hope its not too late to offer a congrats. That is just too bad ass. I know your putting together a new equipment rack for it, but I think its kinda cool having it on cardboard boxes. It lets everyone know where your priorities lay.

Also it is amazing how getting an amp with power meters helps you realize how meaningless "watts" really are. I still have not gotten my meters above 30 watts with 93db sensitivity speakers. Too loud!

Oh, and put me down for a vote in favor of Macs looks.

thanks, I hooked up the Mac to dad's B&W 604's, and then played some tunes, some of the tunes were pretty 'amp-unfriendly' and the meters went up all the way to 200 watts from time to time, that was loud too

down here in my 'mancave'/bedroom, I rarely hit 40 watts, with the 'not-hyper-sensitive' advents

I've been surfing the web looking for new speakers, and I must say that I'll be spending alot of time in various high end shops in the near future, there are just so darn much speakers out there

my current speaker 'shortlist':

Monitor Audio RS6 or rs8
    dynaudios (mainly their entry level speakers)
    Focal chorus 836 or 826
    B&W's from the new 600 line
    maybe totem arro/sttaf
    maggie mg12 (although my room will hate them, and so will mom)
    maybe dali's
    triangles from the esprit esw line, probably the antal esw or the celius esw
    maybe KEF (although I didn't like them that much last time I heard them)
    used vandersteen 2's, maybe 3's
    some wharfedales
    some castle speakers
    when the price is reasonable:
    audio physics (entry level of course, they are pretty expensive)
    sonus faber

so I will know what to do during the next year

Keep them spinning,
    Bert.
    Life is music!

Double Advent speakers
    Thiel CS2.3's
    *DIY Lenco L75 TT
    * SME 3012 S2
    * Rega RB-301
    *Denon DL-304
    Marantz CD5001 OSE
    MIT AVt 2 IC's
    Kimber 4VS speakercable

thanks, I hooked up the Mac to dad's B&W 604's, and then played some tunes, some of the tunes were pretty 'amp-unfriendly' and the meters went up all the way to 200 watts from time to time, that was loud too

down here in my 'mancave'/bedroom, I rarely hit 40 watts, with the 'not-hyper-sensitive' advents

I've been surfing the web looking for new speakers, and I must say that I'll be spending alot of time in various high end shops in the near future, there are just so darn much speakers out there

my current speaker 'shortlist':

Monitor Audio RS6 or rs8
    dynaudios (mainly their entry level speakers)
    Focal chorus 836 or 826
    B&W's from the new 600 line
    maybe totem arro/sttaf
    maggie mg12 (although my room will hate them, and so will mom)
    maybe dali's
    triangles from the esprit esw line, probably the antal esw or the celius esw
    maybe KEF (although I didn't like them that much last time I heard them)
    used vandersteen 2's, maybe 3's
    some wharfedales
    some castle speakers
    when the price is reasonable:
    audio physics (entry level of course, they are pretty expensive)
    sonus faber

so I will know what to do during the next year

Keep them spinning,
    Bert.
    The first thing that struck me would be either the Totem's or the Dali Grand Coupe. Maybe check out ProAc too. Are you thinking full floorstanders or what?

I'm thinking floorstanders, but not *HUGE* floorstanders.

I'll have to face it sometime, it doesn't matter how much I love my double advent system, they are just too big for my room. I'll keep them until they fall apart, literally, but they just don't do the trick in my room, maybe later, who knows...

this doesn't mean that I'll be going to tiny bookshelves though, I don't believe they can really give the sound of a big instrument without blowing themselves up. So I'll be looking for normal sized floorstanders, which will work in my room, and fill it with sound.

my budget will probably be limited to about €2000 though, so proacs will be difficult

maybe I'll be hearing some speakers on my list this sunday already, going to my high end dealer, seems that the Mcintosh needs to be looked at, the left channel puts out slightly less power than the right one, could be almost anything, that's why I'm going, no worries though, it's still under warranty, so probably the fix is free

Keep them spinning,
    Bert.
    Life is music!

Double Advent speakers
    Thiel CS2.3's
    *DIY Lenco L75 TT
    * SME 3012 S2
    * Rega RB-301
    *Denon DL-304
    Marantz CD5001 OSE
    MIT AVt 2 IC's
    Kimber 4VS speakercable

nightflier

Quads (not the kind you need to lift that new amp)

This is a shameful plug (since I own a pair), but I think it would be worth your while to add the Quad 22L to your list - reasonably small footprint, not too hard to drive, gorgeous cabinetry, by-ampable, bass down to 30 Hz., smooth tweeter, and good pedigree to boot. I bought mine for $650 (US) used and I think they run about $1700 new.

sir,
    consider these added to my list

6 and 7 october, there is a pretty big hifi (high end) show in brussels, I'll be going there, maybe the list will become endlessly long then
    Life is music!

Double Advent speakers
    Thiel CS2.3's
    *DIY Lenco L75 TT
    * SME 3012 S2
    * Rega RB-301
    *Denon DL-304
    Marantz CD5001 OSE
    MIT AVt 2 IC's
    Kimber 4VS speakercable

This is a shameful plug (since I own a pair), but I think it would be worth your while to add the Quad 22L to your list - reasonably small footprint, not too hard to drive, gorgeous cabinetry, by-ampable, bass down to 30 Hz., smooth tweeter, and good pedigree to boot. I bought mine for $650 (US) used and I think they run about $1700 new.
    Yeah, that would be a nice speaker to demo with your stuff. Obviously Basite you are well on your way with your audio goals, but I would keep in mind a few things. What I have learned over the past few years is that I need to be mindful of short-term and long-term audio goals. In other words, is the investment in (fill in the blank) going to be something that stays with me for 5-10 years, 10-20 years? Or is it simply something for right now, but I will most likely upgrade when I can. There are several approaches to doing these types of investments. The first way is to gradually progress until you finally get what you want. In doing so you spend money in increments on small price-tagged items and then either by trade or selling you eventually save up enough money (plus the trade-in or sale value of what you currently have) and get the next best thing. This can go on for years. Start out small and then work yourself higher on the audio food chain. Most people go this route because it gives you something now and gives you the ability to work towards something.

The other approach is to just save save save until you drop the entire bomb on the biggest baddest (fill in the blank) piece of equipment. This takes patience and time to finally get it, but the reward is heavy when it comes time to cash in. By doing this method you typically don't get anything in the middle to satisfy what you have. This is the route chosen by few because WE audiophiles want it here and NOW!

In your case you are very young and have many many years ahead of you and the audio world awaits patiently. You have already accumulated what some can only dream of and you are only 17! That's sick! Anyway, it seems that you have the patience and the insight to make it the long haul and there is no doubt that on your current path by the time you are 30 you will have one of the best systems in the world. So, if that is your goal (and I am not saying that it is) than I would begin by making an "ULTIMATE" list of what you would really want if money was no object. Then, gradually work your way towards each of those components....maybe the Mac is already in that list, so consider it checked off! You can easily build around that piece as well. While you might enjoy your Advents, selling them might be a better return because once you get some seriously high-end speakers....it'll be like "advent who???". I am not bashing Advent by any means....but you get the idea.

Good luck and good night!

problem is that the money one could get by selling the advents is so little, that I could better keep them (store them or just leave them where they are and place other speakers next to them or so) and build an all vintage system with them later on...

anyways. I am probably going to go that barely walked route, and will wait till I get enough money to get a dream product. The thing is that I would need something to start with first. and those speakers are for next year(s), after that I will save money till I can get what I dream of. The advents are too big for my room, and even if I had the best front end in the world, that fact wouldn't be changed. So I'll look for new speakers next year. and if I find some that sound extremely good to me (that will fit my budget) I might buy them, if not, I will wait another year and try again, that time, in a higher budget range...

Keep them spinning,
    Bert.
    Life is music!

Double Advent speakers
    Thiel CS2.3's
    *DIY Lenco L75 TT
    * SME 3012 S2
    * Rega RB-301
    *Denon DL-304
    Marantz CD5001 OSE
    MIT AVt 2 IC's
    Kimber 4VS speakercable

problem is that the money one could get by selling the advents is so little, that I could better keep them (store them or just leave them where they are and place other speakers next to them or so) and build an all vintage system with them later on...

anyways. I am probably going to go that barely walked route, and will wait till I get enough money to get a dream product. The thing is that I would need something to start with first. and those speakers are for next year(s), after that I will save money till I can get what I dream of. The advents are too big for my room, and even if I had the best front end in the world, that fact wouldn't be changed. So I'll look for new speakers next year. and if I find some that sound extremely good to me (that will fit my budget) I might buy them, if not, I will wait another year and try again, that time, in a higher budget range...

Keep them spinning,
    Bert.
    One other option might be to invest some of your savings.

Congrats....

.....Bert on the new arrival. Sorry for being late. The amp certainly looks sweet. You have now a great foundation to build your system around. Take your time with that and get to know the Mac. really well first.
    Wishing you many great musical moons ahead.

Peace

"Let The Earth Bear Witness."

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread Information