Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Forum Regular

High current design?

What does it mean when an amplifier has a "high current design"?

If it can drive 4 ohm speakers, does this capability let it drive 8 ohm speakers better than an amp that can only drive 8 ohm speakers?

thanks
    Nadeem

RGA
    Forum Regular
    ignore High current. It's advertising gimmickery - there are some terrific amplifiers which in the strictest sense are not high current amplifiers. Maybe the best sub 2k integrated amplifier the Sugden A21a is not a high current amplifier. The idea behind it is that if an amplifier is rated 100 watts at 8 ohms then it will muster 200 watts at 4ohms and 400 watts at 2 ohms 800 watts at 1 ohm etc(well this never actually happens). Speakers have impedence swings which range anywhere from 2-30ohms depending on speakers. The marketers love this because they can say see our amplifier can handle those momentary spikes (usually in the lower and higher frequencies) where a speaker may DIP to 3ohms. Most all amps are capable of momentary power. The Sugden is a pure class A design and is 25 watts into 8 ohms and LESS into 4ohms. Certain BADLY DESIGNED loudspeakers will not like the A21a - I suppose.

If you're looking at receivers just ignore it completely. Sales staff would love to upsell a reciever because of supposed "high current."

Department of Heuristics and Research on Material Applications
    Maybe I'm way off, but I seem to remember a time when manufacturers often posted specs including the amount of amperes that the amplifier would deliver (ie: 20, 28, 30, 35 40 amperes). The higher that number the higher the current? Could this be what it means?
    Now, at a given voltage and a nominal resistance in a system, wouldn't this have some impact on the signal reaching the speakers?

Silence of the spam Site Moderator Geoffcin's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by nahmed

If it can drive 4 ohm speakers, does this capability let it drive 8 ohm speakers better than an amp that can only drive 8 ohm speakers?

thanks
    Nadeem
    High current amps are designed to deliver the correct current into low impedance loads. Some of the very best ones are not bothered by loads approching 1ohm. These amps are not just for difficult to drive speakers, but can make ANY speaker sound better as no speaker has a uniform impedance. A high current design will deliver the proper current no matter what the load.
    Audio;
    Ming Da MC34-AB 75wpc
    PS Audio Classic 250. 500wpc into 4 ohms.
    PS Audio 4.5 preamp,
    Marantz 6170 TT Shure M97e cart.
    Arcam Alpha 9 CD.- 24 bit dCS Ring DAC.
    Magnepan 3.6r speakers Oak/black,

Forum Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by nahmed

thanks
    Nadeem
    First of all, lets get the matter of speaker impedances figured out. Speaker impedances almost always vary considerably with frequency. A number reviewers provide an impedance vs. frequency curve for the speakers they review. You can find them in Stereophile, Audio Ideas Guide, and Soundstage. It's easy to find illustrations of this on the Soundstage site, so I will provide a link:

http://www.soundstagemagazine.com/speakermeasurements/

You will find that many speakers with an 8 ohm rating actually get considerably lower than that. There are no standards for the impedance ratings of speakers that I know of. But, as it turns out, most receivers will still drive them at ordinary levels. Of course, if the protection circuitry cuts in or the amp gets too hot, then you have some cause to be concerned.

Those who say that "high current" is an advertising slogan are pretty well right, as there is no standard for what is meant. For most of us, an amplifier that can deliver a lot of power into 4 ohms would have a high enough current capability. However, some speaker have an impedance which gets fairly low in certain frequency ranges, some down close to 1 or 2 ohms. This to me is bad design, but many say some of those speakers sound very good. So, you need an amp with a pretty hefty power supply to drive them to a decent sound level.

Do super capable amps sound better with ordinary speakers? Not really. As long as you stay within the amp's capabilities, you should be fine.

Let us take some of the silliness that has been given here. Suppose you have an amp rated at 100 watts into 8 ohms and 200 watts into 4 ohms. In the US, if that is what is claimed, then the amp MUST meet those specs. Now lets take a 200 watt amp, rated into 8 ohms, which is rated at 300 watts into 4 ohms. Which is the more capable amp driving a 4 ohm load? Yet according to some here, that would not qualify as high current!
    "Opposition brings concord. Out of discord comes the fairest harmony."
    ------Heraclitus of Ephesis (fl. 504-500 BC), trans. Wheelwright.

Suspended

You guys need to quit

There are more benefits to high current design than just driving low impedances and it's not just marketing. I don't think Krell, Levinson, Bryston, Arcam amongst others who are high current and some of the finest amps made would agree either that "high current" is just marketing. The higher current allows better control of the driver, especially the woofer, and is better suited for handling quick transcients which equates to better dynamics. Sugden is more of a unique product and not the norm. In some receivers maybe there is some hype. I would use Onkyo as a reference, unless they have recently changed, I guarantee they are high current. Other than Sugden, I can't think of a high end amp that wouldn't be a high current design, just referring to solid state. Also, high current amps tend to have larger power supplies in them. All watts are not created equal.

Don't take my word, do some listening. I think you will find a high current amp will deliver a more powerful and dynamic presentation, much more punch in the bass. and will hold it's own against amps rated with twice the watts using the same speakers. A high current amp in comparison to other designs will sound like the loudness control is on. You will also notice that high current amps will maintain their sound quality better at lower volume.

It is also interesting that some of the finest sounding speakers in the world are very inefficient. So what does that say about your poorly designed speaker theory? Again, Audio Note is the minority and not the majority. Because they decide to do things differently can't make the other hundereds of engineers wrong.

RGA
    Forum Regular
    What about tube amps? Are these high current?

Lately the best sound I've heard is from Tube amps - it's odd because Sugden is often linked to valve ability - and in other reviews strangely as a poor man's Krell - though Krell irritates me and Sugden doens't so that's odd.

I do agree though but Companies like Bryston don't advertise buzz words like High current - bbut Bryston makes awesom amplifiers with incredibly low noise floors and frankly I would not SPEND more on solid state power than a Bryston. Some would probably arguye you could spend less to get the ultimate SS sound - i suppose that's true but Bryston mixes the build sonics and warranty and customer service that IMO if it doesn't do it for you you should dump SS completely and go to some kind of tube amp.

Despite the technical and measurable flaws - they SOUND better when properly implemented - unfortunately one needs the money.

Suspended
    Maybe they call Sugden the poor man's Krell because you can get a pure Class A amplifier for $2k. I not sure what Krell's class A is running but it has to be several times that. I don't know why you like Bryston but not Krell, they are fairly similar, except krell is better. In my biased opinion.

I wish someone around here carried AN or Sugden. I'd love to hear them. You have to admit though they are both unique in the market. I don't understand why stores wouldn't jump on AN, an efficient speaker that actually sounds good. That would be a first for me.

Forum Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Peabody
    I would use Onkyo as a reference, unless they have recently changed, I guarantee they are high current.

Don't take my word, do some listening. I think you will find a high current amp will deliver a more powerful and dynamic presentation, much more punch in the bass. and will hold it's own against amps rated with twice the watts using the same speakers. A high current amp in comparison to other designs will sound like the loudness control is on. You will also notice that high current amps will maintain their sound quality better at lower volume.
    What seperates a good amp from a bad amp is its ability to maintain the integrity of the signal with no regard to how much current is being drawn. This is not an easy task. As more current is drawn things heat up, the characteristics of the transistors change, and the power supply portion of the amplifier must regulate the voltage used to bias the transistors. Fluctuations in these bias volatges can increase distortion levels. This is why when you hook up a $130 Pioneer 100x2 reciever to a pair of speakers that can handle 400 Watts and turn the volume up all the way the music sounds terrible.

All this said, I wouldn't judge an amplifier on anything other than the quality of the sound it produces. Ratings don't mean much. Distortion levels are usualy given at 1 watt, power ratings are nonsense, as you have to increase the power 10 fold to double the dB's. Your best bet when purchasing an amp is to listen to as many as possible.

Forum Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Pat D
    Do super capable amps sound better with ordinary speakers? Not really. As long as you stay within the amp's capabilities, you should be fine.

Let us take some of the silliness that has been given here. Suppose you have an amp rated at 100 watts into 8 ohms and 200 watts into 4 ohms. In the US, if that is what is claimed, then the amp MUST meet those specs. Now lets take a 200 watt amp, rated into 8 ohms, which is rated at 300 watts into 4 ohms. Which is the more capable amp driving a 4 ohm load? Yet according to some here, that would not qualify as high current!
    Some amps don't have hardly any capabilities, try turning a $100 reciever up half way with any speakers.

Good point, I have found the high current term to be used in the mass market realm of things. I do think some Onkyo high current designs sound much better than there mass market equivalents (the TX-8511 also costs twice as much as some of the mass market equivalents). But for the most part I would trust the sound of the amp with my speakers over any buzz words (besides Warranty or return policy).

Forum Regular
    There are many factors which determine the performance of an audio amplifier and it is not easy to characterize one versus another with a few simple numbers or buzz words. One of the factors which determines how satisfactory an amplifier will perform is the load it is connected to and how hard that load will be driven. While the term "high current" is a qualitative term, it is a fact that some amplifiers are deliberately designed to deliver more current and therefore more power to a load for at least a short period of time than other amplifiers having comparable nominal ratings. Will a 25000 horsepower Pratt and Whitney engine outperform a Volkswagon Beetle engine? Lifting an airplane into the sky yes. Driving to the corner grocery store, no.

Amplifiers designed for high current have at least a few differences from amplifiers which aren't. They have more robust power supplies and they have output devices, usually transistors, which can handle more current. This does not mean that these amplifiers have better regulated power supplies (where the dc output voltage doesn't change with changes to line voltage input) or that these amplifiers have lower distortion, less noise, or wider flatter frequency response. But when pushed to their limits, this type of amplifier won't exceed operation within its linear range as quickly as amplifiers of comparable power ratings which are not designed for high current. Whether or not this is of benefit to a consumer depends as I said on the rest of the equipment and how it is to be used.

RGA
    Forum Regular
    Maybe they call Sugden the poor man's Krell because you can get a pure Class A amplifier for $2k. I not sure what Krell's class A is running but it has to be several times that. I don't know why you like Bryston but not Krell, they are fairly similar, except krell is better. In my biased opinion.

I wish someone around here carried AN or Sugden. I'd love to hear them. You have to admit though they are both unique in the market. I don't understand why stores wouldn't jump on AN, an efficient speaker that actually sounds good. That would be a first for me.
    Give Audio Note some time - not everyone is allowed to carry Audio Note because it has to be sold on their terms - not very many dealers frankly can afford to carry them much less have a dedicated Audio Note room with all Audio Note gear...most places have mixed and matched set-ups...a MF amp witth a Rotel cd player and a Vanden Hul Cable and some B&W's conencted up with a linn Turntable. With Audio Note it has to be ALL Audio Note. The thinking behind it is - if you hate it at least they know they crashed and burned with THEIR equipment and not let down by someone elses crappy componant. It also means that if you LOVE what you hear you are more likely to buy all Audio Note. Few would but whatthe hell you get to hear all their stuff at once which at least gives them a shot to sell you a cd player with your speaker purchase etc. The other part of that though is that their amplifiers are relatively low powered - pretty powerful for SET but they need a certain type of speaker to play their best - their speakers are supposedly mirrorimaged to their amp - so they really don't want to see their 8 watter connected to a B&W. I don't know why not since the N805 sounded better to me with the Meishu than it ever did with Rotel or High power Classe separates. But generally many speakers need more than 8 watts per channel. IMO bad ones need more than 8 watts but I'm getting biased now.

There are 25 dealers in the US(I think 5 are in California though) - and my dealer may end up actually building the speakers to reduce prices of shipping from Europe - Another dealer is building the DACs. I have a feeling the dealers also have to have technical know-how to perform upgrades etc - and they need deep pockets to carry several mAudio Note models. The fact that the company doesn't waste money on advertising or product literature means that most people who buy it will be people going in and actually listening(shudder the thought) to it rather than being pre-sold by the marketing hype of magazines. So dealers are going to have to believe in it themselves because it is a risk to take up valuable sales space with a relatively ugly no name brand when you could carry Paradigm - which is a houshold name(Of course a place like Soundhounds carries both and B&W so they can stay in business selling that stuff but also carry the lesser known and IMO better sounding gear). So you're going to need a dealer who is passionate a bit about music themselves and are willing to sacrifice some volume sales.

Sugden unfortunately is just too small - and they have, at least for now, pulled out of North America. My dealer never sold much Sugden but after the high praise in Stereophile he has had many inquiries...but he can't get any. Typical - no one wanted it until the reviews. I wish people would actually LISTEN to stuff than buy out of magazines. LOW watt SS is a tough sell - The point of SS is to have high power with sacrificed sound otherwise you would buy low powered superior tube amps(as the marketing goes here). A low watt SS amp may be viewed as a curiosity - won't sell to the people wanting or needing high power SS and won't seel to tube lovers - because they want tubes. Well actually I should not say won't sell it's the longest selling commercial amp - but you are right it is an exception and an oddity. They don't advertise either - such products you seek out by listening.

Bryston to me is too close to Krell to warrant the extra money Krell charges. Even though Krell is class A it really doesn' do it for me - though you know I've only heard Krell once and it was with a relatively unfamiliar speaker to me in Hales - so perhaps I should give them another try. And of course many amplifiers are better suited to the need of the speakers.

Forum Regular

Another opinion

Here is another opinion I suggest reading:

http://forum.ecoustics.com/bbs/messages/1/6893.html

I don't know how reliable the source is, but it makes sense.

Forum Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by kexodusc
    Maybe I'm way off, but I seem to remember a time when manufacturers often posted specs including the amount of amperes that the amplifier would deliver (ie: 20, 28, 30, 35 40 amperes). The higher that number the higher the current? Could this be what it means?
    Now, at a given voltage and a nominal resistance in a system, wouldn't this have some impact on the signal reaching the speakers?

Yes, NAD I think was/is one who uses these kind of ratings. But, to see if that is in fact is the case, ask yourself if the amp can deliver the power commensurate with their claims following Ohm's Law: Power = current squared times speaker resistance you are driving. Try it 20 squared is 400 watts by itself. Using 2 ohm speakers is 800 watts, 4 ohms 1600 watts. Sure those amps can do that, LOL.
    mtrycrafts

Forum Regular

8.6Amps for that 300 watts or 7 amps for that 200 watts is not a high current amp Certainly not what some companies have advertised
    mtrycrafts

Forum Regular

I wish someone around here carried AN or Sugden. I'd love to hear them. .
    Ah, but you should do that under bias controlled conditions. A different story then for sure.
    mtrycrafts

Forum Regular
    There are more benefits to high current design than just driving low impedances and it's not just marketing.

How do you test this hypothesis? Certainly not being biased.

I don't think Krell, Levinson, Bryston, Arcam amongst others who are high current

Are they really? Tell us about its amps capability, how high is it?

The higher current allows better control of the driver, especially the woofer,

Are you sure? Where fdid you dig up this bs? Damping factor controll driver and that is determined by the ratio of the output impedance and the speaker impedance. Really. Check it out.

Sugden is more of a unique product and not the norm.

Probaly is. Not sold everywhere, is it.

In some receivers maybe there is some hype.

Yep, amp makers don't hype, only receiver makers. Interesting.

I would use Onkyo as a reference, unless they have recently changed, I guarantee they are high current.

And that current rating would be what? at what impedance? Yes, that is impedanc e related.

Other than Sugden,

How high is the current rating in that amp? Continuous rating? Please inform us. I am really interested to find out of this amp you speak so highly of.

All watts are not created equal.

Then sopme are different? How so? Which ones are different? How? What makes them so?

Don't take my word, do some listening. I think you will find a high current amp will deliver a more powerful and dynamic presentation, much more punch in the bass.

More punch in the bass?

and will hold it's own against amps rated with twice the watts using the same speakers.

Or not.

A high current amp in comparison to other designs will sound like the loudness control is on.

Really? That is a new one.

You will also notice that high current amps will maintain their sound quality better at lower volume.

How so? Why? Please elaborate.

It is also interesting that some of the finest sounding speakers in the world are very inefficient.

That is rather subjective and presumtious on your part, unproven in fact, right?

So what does that say about your poorly designed speaker theory?

Nothing. You havent established facts yet, just speculations.

[/QUOTE]
    mtrycrafts

Forum Regular

It is the design that matters: high current is one of them

I changed from a 60 watt pioneer amp to a 60 watt high current NAD an year back.My speakers were clipping with the pioneer and it was struggling and I was convinced that I would need an amp with atleast double the power to drive my wharfedales.I home demoed a 100 watt yamaha and a nakamichi 100 watt reciever and both were struggling with the 86 db floorstanders.But my dealer friend convinced me to try out the NADC 320 BEE and C350 (A 60 WATT amp) at home.Man, what a eye opener it was ! I couldn't believe it ! The difference in quality was awesome and this puny little wonder NAD was driving my speakers effortlessly.
    So all watts are not created equally.It is the design that matters.HIGH CURRENT is one of the design FACTORS that makes a BIG positive difference.

Forum Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by hertz
    I changed from a 60 watt pioneer amp to a 60 watt high current NAD an year back.My speakers were clipping with the pioneer and it was struggling and I was convinced that I would need an amp with atleast double the power to drive my wharfedales.I home demoed a 100 watt yamaha and a nakamichi 100 watt reciever and both were struggling with the 86 db floorstanders.But my dealer friend convinced me to try out the NADC 320 BEE and C350 (A 60 WATT amp) at home.Man, what a eye opener it was ! I couldn't believe it ! The difference in quality was awesome and this puny little wonder NAD was driving my speakers effortlessly.
    So all watts are not created equally.It is the design that matters.HIGH CURRENT is one of the design FACTORS that makes a BIG positive difference.

Well, it all depends on what high current is and isn't; what impedance loads those two amps are rated to drive. It is simple as that.
    86 dB sensitivity is not that low. All it means is that you can drive it to 102 dB spl with 60 watts if the impedance is withing the amps design parameters.

And, don't forget how much bias is part of that evaluation.
    mtrycrafts

Forum Regular

I agree..but

I agree.But all the amps I tried including the yammy and nakamichi 100watters and the nad amps were rated to drive 4 ohms and above speakers.So why does the tiny 60 watt Nad drive my 6 ohm 86 db floorstander with more authority?I finally bought the NAD c350 and I am perfectly happy with it.
    On another note: My friend who owns an audio analogue puccini which is again a high current 50 watts amp is driving his B&Ws much better than the 95 watt marantz he owned before.It is driving them better and entire sound stage itself is wider with lots more air around the instruments.
    I can speak only from my experience...so there...

HT receiver watts are not the same as 2 channel amplifier watts.

The FTC has less stringent rules to use when evaluating and quoting specs on multi-channel receivers. 2 channel units have a much harder test to pass.

So, if a HT multichannel unit is rated at, say, 60 watts and a straight two channel receiver is rated at the same, you'll get more useful power out of the 2 channel unit.

Likewise, some HT manufacturers can hold themselves to higher then the minimum standards allowed by law. NAD has historically been one to "underrate" their real world power specs as opposed to others.

Suspended

Hertz

What you experienced is typical for those coming to realize there is "high current" amps. 86dB is definitely on the inefficient side. 3dB is exactly double the sound output at the same volume level. Even without a stable impedance the pioner 50 would have some problems.

Some of these guys wouldn't admit there is high current design if there life depended on it. It don't take being biased to know if your amp is clipping or not anymore due to the speaker load. I wonder if mrycraft has ever owned any stereo gear. What Hertz stated was pure fact, he didn't say any of the things I did about better bass and control, though I suspect that was also a result, these things maybe you could shout "biased" because they are more subjective. But one would certainly know if there amp isn't clipping anymore when all other factors remained the same.

Forum Regular
    Let's consider two (yes, TWO!) equations for Power:

Power = Current^2 * Resistance

Power = Voltage^2 / Resistance

Amps come in two flavors.

A few amps "tend" to be constant (max output) current (i.e. Futterman) and these will deliver MORE power into a higher resistance speaker than they will deliver into a lower resistance speaker, and as well with reduced distortion. A perfect "have your cake and eat it also" deal. (Futterman amps max their output power into a 32 ohm speaker- which is why many Futterman owners rewired 4 ohm Tympani to be 16 ohm Tympani.).

You will find, however, that most amps "tend" to operate as constant (max output) voltage. [The electrical outputs in your house are ALSO constant voltage sources. Hmmm- is there a connection, here?] Constant voltage amps will deliver MORE power into, say, a 4 ohm speaker than they will deliver into an 8 ohm speaker. But how much more is the question..... The Musical Fidelity A2 and A220 amplifiers will deliver EXACTLY twice as much power into a 4 ohm lspeaker as they will into an 8 ohm speaker, so you could say that the MF A2 and MF A220 operate as true constant voltage amps. Any limitations on these amp's output current capability will cause the 4 ohm putput to be less than twice the 8 ohm output. [Note that the electrical outputs in your house do not have a current limitation until the circuit breaker opens.... but the wires will melt before the power grid ever runs out of current.]

So instead of worrying about whether an amp is a "High Current Amp" (which is NOT a defined term), simply evaluate how well the amp behaves as, say, a constant voltage amp. This should tell you everything you need to know about the amp's output current capabilities.....

Forum Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by hertz
    I agree.But all the amps I tried including the yammy and nakamichi 100watters and the nad amps were rated to drive 4 ohms and above speakers.So why does the tiny 60 watt Nad drive my 6 ohm 86 db floorstander with more authority?I finally bought the NAD c350 and I am perfectly happy with it.
    On another note: My friend who owns an audio analogue puccini which is again a high current 50 watts amp is driving his B&Ws much better than the 95 watt marantz he owned before.It is driving them better and entire sound stage itself is wider with lots more air around the instruments.
    I can speak only from my experience...so there...

Issue of perception comes to mind right out of the gate.
    mtrycrafts

Forum Regular
    3dB is exactly double the sound output at the same volume level.

What do you mean here? Please explain.

Some of these guys wouldn't admit there is high current design if there life depended on it.

That is just your misbeliefe. But, please tell us what is a high current amp?

It don't take being biased to know if your amp is clipping or not anymore due to the speaker load.

Ah, if it is clipping, it is driven beyond its design specs.
    But, it could be a perception issue.

I wonder if mrycraft has ever owned any stereo gear.

Yes, I have two stereo boomboxes. Does that qualify?

What Hertz stated was pure fact,

Well, he didn't.
    mtrycrafts

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information