Forum Regular

hey everyone i just got a used sony reciever

Hi i just got a used sony reciever. It works really good the model number is STR--AV460. Is this reciever any good and will it run my smaller advents good. Or the reciever way under power. And what year is this reciever from is it rare and whats the wpc. Thanks jeff

Forum Regular

helllo

Hello is anyone there.

Forum Regular

hello

hello

Forum Regular
    jeff,

nope, this receiver is common as mud. There are receivers from this era (about 1984 or 5) on ebay all the time. i have a 340 and judging from its performance it probably has 34 WPC, so do the math, yours i bet has 46 wpc. I have to say I think the audio quality of sony receivers from this era is just crap. very tinny and flat. i hate mine, to be honest. if you paid more than $20 you were ripped off. Sony made some sweet receivers in the early to mid seventies, but starting about 1980 their amplifiers all just sucked wind (the ones I have heard that is). Now their tuners are a different matter. I have a ST-JX4 from about the same era, probably earlier than your receiver actually, and i love it. it has absolutely gorgeous audio and is surprisingly selective and sensitive for such a stripped down tuner.

As far as driving smaller advents- they have the power, but just about any speaker will probably suck through it. I tried driving one of my favorite pairs of older speakers, Celestion Ditton 15s, with my 340 when I first got them and I thought the hype about those speakers was a load of bs. Then I hooked them to a decent amp and I can't stop listening to them, they're just so nice. The only conclusion i could reach is that sony 340 must be really awful to make such a good speaker sound bad.

Forum Regular

if i knew how

If i knew how i would sell you my smaller advents. They are in very good condition with the acception of being in need of refoaming. That is if you have a 4 ohm high powered amp. I would sell them to you for 20.00 dollars so that someone can actually enjoy them. They are very good sounding pair of speakers. They have the orange tweeters and yes they are origanal cause my uncle bought them new in 1974. And took really good care of them.

Quote Originally Posted by JeffBrecklin
    If i knew how i would sell you my smaller advents. They are in very good condition with the acception of being in need of refoaming. That is if you have a 4 ohm high powered amp. I would sell them to you for 20.00 dollars so that someone can actually enjoy them. They are very good sounding pair of speakers. They have the orange tweeters and yes they are origanal cause my uncle bought them new in 1974. And took really good care of them.
    Jeff,

What size woofers do they have?

I might have a pair of replacement foam rings lieing around that you could have. If you're interested in giving it a shot, it's not that hard, just shoot me a private message.

Pete
    I fear explanations explanatory of things explained.
    Abraham Lincoln

Forum Regular

thanks

Thanks but whats your e mail address. Its a i think either 8 inch or 10 inch

Forum Regular

hello

Hello is anyone there. My woofers are either 8 inch or 7 and a half inch. They are a really odd size woofer.

Thread Information