Forum Regular

Here's a silly question...!!!

Is there any reason why I can't hook up a cd player to outdated tape inputs my pre-amp? Is there some difference in the input from a tape player vs. a cd player? I don't use a tape deck and it seems crazy not to utilize the inputs.....or am I crazy?

Sound Fanatic
    There's no reason whatsoever. That's what people did for years after CD players came out... there was no such thing as a "CD input" on a preamp or receiver for many years to follow. Hook 'er up and enjoy.

Super Moderator Site Moderator JohnMichael's Avatar
    You can play your cd's through any input except phono. Aux, tuner or tape will all work.
    JohnMichael
    Vinyl Rega Planar 2, Incognito rewire, Deepgroove subplatter, ceramic bearing, Michell Technoweight, Rega 24V motor, TTPSU, FunkFirm Achroplat platter, Michael Lim top and bottom braces, 2 Rega feet and one RDC cones. Grado Sonata, Moon 110 LP phono.
    Digital
    Sony SCD-XA5400ES SACD/cd SID mat, Marantz SA 8001
    Int. Amp Krell S-300i
    Speaker
    Monitor Audio RS6
    Cables
    AQ SPKR and AQ XLR and IC

Forum Regular
    I like the way you guys think!! Thanks for the input!! OH!!.....I made a funny!!....INPUT??

Quote Originally Posted by stevareno
    Is there some difference in the input from a tape player vs. a cd player?
    While its true that both are high level signals, many CD players have more gain which can cause challenges with the volume control. I have one with a 4 volt output where I was maxing out at about 9:00. The CDP has plenty of gain by itself and didn't need any further amplification. While my preamp's CD input has reduced gain (12 db vs. 20 db), I later decided not to fight the situation and don't use the preamp for that source at all.

rw

After a fair amount of time listening to my turntable at 11 to 12:00 and my CD at 9 to 10:00, I switched over to the variable outputs on the CD and set the Level at 11:00. Now I can listen at 11 to 12:00 with both.

Quote Originally Posted by 02audionoob
    After a fair amount of time listening to my turntable at 11 to 12:00 and my CD at 9 to 10:00, I switched over to the variable outputs on the CD and set the Level at 11:00. Now I can listen at 11 to 12:00 with both.
    Ever try running the amp directly? You might like the added clarity.

rw

Suspended
    Quote Originally Posted by stevareno
    I like the way you guys think!! Thanks for the input!! OH!!.....I made a funny!!....INPUT??
    Don't quit your day job there stevareno.

Quote Originally Posted by E-Stat
    Ever try running the amp directly? You might like the added clarity.

rw
    I have indeed tried that. It was good but I have no output controls on any of my other sources. After trying that, and liking it, I tried replacing my Adcom GFP-565 with an Adcom SLC-505. It provides no gain...just a switch box with an attenuator and a balance. Oddly enough, it was not as good as CD straight to amp. I guess something is lost in the attenuator?

Not odd at all

Quote Originally Posted by 02audionoob
    Oddly enough, it was not as good as CD straight to amp. I guess something is lost in the attenuator?
    Indeed there are qualitative differences between conventional carbon wiper attenuators and the precision resistor stepped flavor. Not to mention the addition of additional wire, connectors and another cable with added capacitance to what can be a challenging impedance match.

While not as convenient, I switch cables from my DIY attenuator box to the preamp when switching from CD to phono. I do the similarly in the garage system but there each source - tuner, phono pre and DAC - has its own gain controls so I don't use a preamp there at all.

rw

Thread Information