Best "Budget" Integrated Amp?

Sorry for the seeming redundancy of threads, but I'm looking for an integrated amp under, say, US$600, with enough power to feed 40W Vandersteen 1C's.

I currently own a Pro-ject Xpression MkII turntable with a Benz Micro cartridge (which is a tad bright, but not bad to listen to). Other components include a used (via eBay) Marantz DR700 CD recorder and a used (also via eBay) Nakamichi CR-2A cassette deck (used primarily for playing old cassettes to be CD'd). Everything currently runs on an aging Denon DRA-35V AV receiver.

Any suggestions? When googling this topic, I seem to run into a ton of NAD-related links. Seems they have an excellent rep for amplifiers. I also see some Creek and Cambridge Audio mentioned as well. I'd prefer to buy American, but I have to be happy with the purchase I make, ultimately, so the product's national origin is not a deal-breaker.

Your help is much-appreciated.
    "And that after this is accomplished, and the brave new world begins
    "When all men are paid for existing and no man must pay for his sins ..."

-- Rudyard Kipling

Super Moderator Site Moderator JohnMichael's Avatar
    I must suggest the Onkyo A-9555. It is and 85 wpc Class D amp. If your Benz is a high output cartridge you will love the buit in phono stage. The amp is quiet and grain free. Great detail accross the frequencies. I owned a Cambridge Audio 640A original series and found the highs grainy and the bass emphasized. The Onkyo images better and better seperation between instruments. Very enjoyable for long term listening with no fatigue. It is available several places for about $500.
    JohnMichael
    Vinyl Rega Planar 2, Incognito rewire, Deepgroove subplatter, ceramic bearing, Michell Technoweight, Rega 24V motor, TTPSU, FunkFirm Achroplat platter, Michael Lim top and bottom braces, 2 Rega feet and one RDC cones. Grado Sonata, Moon 110 LP phono.
    Digital
    Sony SCD-XA5400ES SACD/cd SID mat, Marantz SA 8001
    Int. Amp Krell S-300i
    Speaker
    Monitor Audio RS6
    Cables
    AQ SPKR and AQ XLR and IC

Re: the Onkyo A-9555

Thanks for the recommendation. Ultimately I will only buy what I can actually sample with my ears, but I will audition this model if I come across it. Too bad there were not more responses.

Grassy ass.

-- Rudyard Kipling

If you're a little patient there may be more responses. I'm not aware of a huge amount of budget amps in the US but I know there are plenty. On the top of my head Rotel and Nad make some which you should find in most high street dealers.

For your price range, have a look at Denon DRA-397 or DRA-697CI. These should be relatively easy to find and auditition (though finding any 2-channel gear in retail stores is beginning to be a bit of a challenge). I have an economical Dennon DRA-295 (50W per channel, no phono input). I've compared it to audiophile and professional amplifiers and it stands up well. Very little noise and ample clean power.

If you dont mind a receiver then give this a look- http://outlawaudio.com/products/rr2150.html

Its well worth the money and is occasionally onsale for $599. Outlaw has a 30 day return policy.
    Pass Labs X250 amp, BAT Vk-51se Preamp,
    Thorens TD-145 TT, Bellari phono preamp, Nagaoka MP-200 Cartridge
    Magnepan QR1.6 speakers
    Luxman DA-06 DAC
    Van Alstine Ultra Plus Hybrid Tube DAC
    Dual Martin Logan Original Dynamo Subs
    Parasound A21 amp
    Vintage Luxman T-110 tuner
    Magnepan MMG's, Grant Fidelity DAC-11, Class D CDA254 amp
    Monitor Audio S1 speakers, PSB B6 speakers
    Vintage Technic's Integrated amp
    Music Hall 25.2 CDP
    Adcom GFR 700 AVR
    Cables- Cardas, Silnote, BJC
    Velodyne CHT 8 sub

Thanks for the additional responses guys. I'm really just looking for an integrated amp. I'll get a tuner later if need be.

-- Rudyard Kipling

Quote Originally Posted by A35460073B
    Thanks for the additional responses guys. I'm really just looking for an integrated amp. I'll get a tuner later if need be.
    The integrated amp is a category of product that no longer exists outside the audiophile world. You'll spend a lot more for the same performance with this approach.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevio
    The integrated amp is a category of product that no longer exists outside the audiophile world. You'll spend a lot more for the same performance with this approach.
    Hmmm... that's interesting. I'd never heard that before. In fact, I'd always heard just the opposite. Are you sure and why?

Thanks.

-- Rudyard Kipling

Super Moderator Site Moderator JohnMichael's Avatar
    I also have never heard that about integrated amps. I do think they are more popular in audiophile circles but there are some great integrateds in your price range. Some of the integrateds are less than the same companies receivers and I have found the integrated amps in a line to have better specs. I have owned Integrateds from Harmon Kardon, Rotel, Cambridge Audio and Onkyo. I have been very pleased with the sound of the current Onkyo, the price it is available for and the convenience of an integrated amp.
    JohnMichael
    Vinyl Rega Planar 2, Incognito rewire, Deepgroove subplatter, ceramic bearing, Michell Technoweight, Rega 24V motor, TTPSU, FunkFirm Achroplat platter, Michael Lim top and bottom braces, 2 Rega feet and one RDC cones. Grado Sonata, Moon 110 LP phono.
    Digital
    Sony SCD-XA5400ES SACD/cd SID mat, Marantz SA 8001
    Int. Amp Krell S-300i
    Speaker
    Monitor Audio RS6
    Cables
    AQ SPKR and AQ XLR and IC

AV receivers

Quote Originally Posted by A35460073B
    Hmmm... that's interesting. I'd never heard that before. In fact, I'd always heard just the opposite. Are you sure and why?

Thanks.
    I think Kevio was referring to the fact that most people, (non-audiophiles), will buy a multichannel AV, (home theatre), receiver this days rather than a integrated stereo amp (or stereo receiver).

Nevertheless stereo integrated amps and receivers are pretty widely sold and are perfectly good choice for a person -- audiophile or not -- interested only in stereo rather than multichannel. For example, Future Shop in Canada sells Denon, Harmon Kardon, Sony, and Yamaha stereo receivers. Some of the newer stereo models incorporate HT-style features such as DACs (digital to analog converters) and subwoofer outputs.

In my observation such stereo amps or receivers offer more power than comparably priced multichannel receivers, so I tend to disagree that with Kevio you will necessarily "spend a lot more for the same performance".
    Last edited by Feanor; 01-09-2009 at 07:35 AM.

There are two trends that contribute to this:

1/ An AM/FM tuner is now a single integrated circuit. Since the tuner is inexpensive, compact and no longer overly sensitive to interference, it does not make technical sense to put it in a box separate from the amplifiers.

2/ The audio market has moved to multichannel. Manufacturers and retailers concentrate there. It is difficult to find 2 channel products from mainstream manufacturers in mainstream retail outlets. Yes pure stereo still exists but because of the lower volumes, it has to be priced higher and sold as a boutique product to make sense.

Interesting argument...

...okay, thanks.

I'd still prefer an integrated amp, but I won't completely dismiss this either.

-- Rudyard Kipling

AR Newbie Registered Member

Onkyo A-9555

I agree that the Onkyo A-9555 might suit you very well. I'm in the process of breaking in mine. So far I'm very impressed. A bargain since it can be found online at ~$450 new or $400 refurbished.

Pros: clear, clean, smooth, grain-free detailed sound. Nice built in phono preamp, decent soundstage even in my clutered room.

Cons: no pre-amp out or main in to facilitate bi-amping, no tuner, no subwoofer out or bass management to facilitate adding a subwoofer.

Mixed: sounds great with my Energy RC-minis and Polk Rti A1s, doesn't seem to be quite as happy driving my inefficient Dynaudio A70s

In summary, this is a very inexpensive, outstanding sounding Integrated Amp. It really shines when matched up with a pair of relatively efficient speakers.

I hope this helps...
    Last edited by joefj1200; 01-18-2009 at 02:14 PM.

Tube-ee to not tube-ee

Anyone have any thoughts on this hybrid tube amp from JoLida?

http://www.jolida.com/catalogue/models/jd1701.shtml

I have a Jolida JD 1501A, similar but more powerful than the JD1701. I've owned it for many years and realy like it. It a better match with my Dynaudios than the A-9555. I haven't done a detailed comparison with the A-9555 yet. Tube rolling of course will change what you hear with the Jolidas...

my budget is more like $300 and i was looking at the NAD C325BEE, i like the simplicity and the pricepoint

i dont like the lack of subwoofer out. it's almost a dealbreaker for me since i will likely be running bookshelves

the denon's have sub outs, but i dont like the way they look, they're too "high tech", i just want something clean and simple.

i'm pretty torn
    Home Theatre:
    50" Panasonic TH-50PZ77
    Denon AVR-3808CI
    B&W 603 S3
    B&W LCR600 S3
    Paradigm Cinema ADP v.3
    SVS PB12-NSD
    Xbox 360 250GB
    Playstation 3 60GB
    Explorer 8300HD PVR 320GB
    Netgear ReadyNAS NV+ 8TB
    Harmony One

2-Channel:
    Paradigm Studio 20 v.5
    NAD C320BEE
    NAD C521BEE

The subwoofer solution without a sub-out is pretty simple...just get a sub with speaker inputs and outputs.

Harman Kardon HK 3490?

I ordered an Harman Kardon HK 3490 from J&R over the weekend. I don't expect it to sound quite as refinded as my Jolida or the Onkyo, but it should be great for rocking out while working in the garage. Under $300 delivered and it has sub outs...

Forum Regular
    Hmm, can't say I agree with that.
    All we are saying, is give peas a chance.

Quote Originally Posted by emesbee
    Hmm, can't say I agree with that.
    That's fine. Doesn't make you right though.

I suggest you go visit some big box electronics stores and see if you see the same thing I do. I see a good selection of home theater equipment. A bunch of portable and all-in-one audio system offerings. Just a couple choices for stereo receivers. No integrated amplifiers.

Note: I haven't said that the integrated amplifier is dead. All I'm saying that it is no longer a mainstream consumer product. Perhaps you'd like to argue that the integrated amplifier has always been a niche item?

I have to agree with Kevio. I rarely see an integrated amp even in the high end stores. I think that they are way over priced and many are low power. Years ago, integrated amps were common place in stores.
    Pass Labs X250 amp, BAT Vk-51se Preamp,
    Thorens TD-145 TT, Bellari phono preamp, Nagaoka MP-200 Cartridge
    Magnepan QR1.6 speakers
    Luxman DA-06 DAC
    Van Alstine Ultra Plus Hybrid Tube DAC
    Dual Martin Logan Original Dynamo Subs
    Parasound A21 amp
    Vintage Luxman T-110 tuner
    Magnepan MMG's, Grant Fidelity DAC-11, Class D CDA254 amp
    Monitor Audio S1 speakers, PSB B6 speakers
    Vintage Technic's Integrated amp
    Music Hall 25.2 CDP