Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Emo at it again

Wink Emo at it again

For all "those who cares emotiva has a "jollyday" blast coming now through the holiday 10% and free shipping (except the UMC) I might diving in myself this time.

http://www.emotiva.com/
    Chet Baker-Trumpet
    Pepper Adams-Baritone Sax
    Herbie Mann-Flute
    Bill Evans-Piano
    Paul Chambers-Bass & Connie Kay-Drums
    (....ALONE TOGETHER....) DEC. 30 1958
    produced by...Orrin Keepnews...

Suspended
    Thanks for the tip. Although I have no real purpose other than curiosity and possibly a backup I have really been tempted to try a XPA-2, for $719.00 and free shipping it's really tempting.

Forum Regular
    Hi Mr. P.,

From all of the reviews out there the XPA-2 is supposed to be a real beast. I know you most likely know that and as you have said you don't need another amp but it is very tempting when they are selling an amp of that caliber for that price. It would be interesting to see how it would compare with your Krell. I have the XPA-3 and it does fairly well driving my speakers and the XPA-2 is supposed to be quite a bit better. I eventually want to purchase a pair of XPA-1's for my HT and move my XPA-3 to center and rear duty instead of powering my fronts and center.

Hope you and frenchmon are doing well.

Suspended
    What speakers do you have? From the way you said It sounds like there could be room for improvement.

I see Emo also has some real reasonable subs. Any one heard anything about these?

Forum Regular
    Hi Mr. P.,

My Speakers are av123 LS6 speakers. They are designed by Danny Ritchey of GR Research and they have 8 6.5inch drivers and 6 planar tweeters per speaker. They have 90db sensitivity and are not extremely hard to drive but they certainly do better when driven with a powerful power amp. I think the XPA-3 powers them well, but there's always room for improvement and that's why I'd like to get the XPA-1s at some point. I think most people would be happy with the power and control that the XPA-3 has but for me, I sometimes like to really turn up some of my music and I know that the XPA-2 and especially the XPA-1s would certainly give me a substantial upgrade in that department, as well as an improvement in sound quality.

I'm certainly interested in hearing if anyone has had any experience with the Emo. Subs too.

Ajani
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Peabody
    Thanks for the tip. Although I have no real purpose other than curiosity and possibly a backup I have really been tempted to try a XPA-2, for $719.00 and free shipping it's really tempting.
    Pull the trigger!!! Pull the trigger!!!

Lightbulb

my thoughts exactly "Mr Peabody" that XPA-2 at $719.00 free shipping really got me thinking cause I could really start a relationship with a power amp. and this looks like the right time to "save me $105.00 ??!!
    Chet Baker-Trumpet
    Pepper Adams-Baritone Sax
    Herbie Mann-Flute
    Bill Evans-Piano
    Paul Chambers-Bass & Connie Kay-Drums
    (....ALONE TOGETHER....) DEC. 30 1958
    produced by...Orrin Keepnews...

Suspended
    Tapping his glass with a spoon, I'd like to thank all of you who have been so eager to help me spend my money.

Quote Originally Posted by devuonoste
    Hi Mr. P.,

My Speakers are av123 LS6 speakers. They are designed by Danny Ritchey of GR Research and they have 8 6.5inch drivers and 6 planar tweeters per speaker. They have 90db sensitivity and are not extremely hard to drive but they certainly do better when driven with a powerful power amp. I think the XPA-3 powers them well, but there's always room for improvement and that's why I'd like to get the XPA-1s at some point. I think most people would be happy with the power and control that the XPA-3 has but for me, I sometimes like to really turn up some of my music and I know that the XPA-2 and especially the XPA-1s would certainly give me a substantial upgrade in that department, as well as an improvement in sound quality.

I'm certainly interested in hearing if anyone has had any experience with the Emo. Subs too.
    YOU'VE GOT THE LS6?????? BOY YOU DEVIL YOU!.....So what are they like? I've always been interested in the Strata Mini. Did you get the cabinets only or the ones with the drivers?
    Music...let it into your soul and be moved....with Canton...Pure Music

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    W10 i5 Quad core processor 8GB RAM/Jriver 20/ Fidelizer Optimizer/ iFI Micro DSD DAC-iUSB 3.0/Vincent SA - T1/Vincent SP-331 MK /MMF-7.1/2M BLACK/MS Phenomena ll+/Canton Vento 830.2

Forum Regular
    Hi frenchmon,

I purchased the complete speakers about a year or so ago. I got an amazing deal on B-Stock ones, where only one speaker had one small blemish that they fixed and is barely noticeable unless you are very close to the speaker. The LS6's are amazing. They are massive so you need a decent sized room for them to be at their best. They have a bass management system so you can tailor them to your particular room size, within reason. My room is relatively small (18 x 12 x 8) but I think they work well in my room. Any smaller and they probably wouldn't work very well.

The LS6's are extremely dynamic and have great bass and good detail. They have an amazing soundstage in both depth and width and imaging of these is like a really good high end bookshelf speaker. They have a very natural sound to them and I find many of my CD's sound as if you are at a live performance. The LS6's really let you hear and feel the music. On the one hand they are like real brutes and can pound you in the chest and on the other hand they can be very delicate. I think they are one of the best performing speakers out there, especially considering the price. The only issue I have sometimes is that I find they are a tad bright, but as we discussed many times before in one of my other threads, that is due to my Yammy and some of my recordings.
    I will be getting a tube pre-amp from Space Tech Lab (the "QA-100001" without the aluminum top) in July and eventually I will get a tube power amp from there when I save some more money. I had a tube integrated for a little while and it certainly improved the sound quality and removed the brightness from my system. I can't wait to finalize my 2ch system.

Hope you're doing well.

Take Care

Man of the People Forums Moderator bobsticks's Avatar

Whew!

...misunderstood the thread title...thought I was gonna have to pull out this old chestnut...

So, I broke into the palace
    With a sponge and a rusty spanner
    She said : "Eh, I know you, and you cannot sing"
    I said : "That's nothing - you should hear me play piano"

Ajani
    Tapping his glass with a spoon, I'd like to thank all of you who have been so eager to help me spend my money.
    There will be plenty of time to thank us, after you spend your money.

Suspended
    I went crazy. I ordered two Ultra 12 subs, at $359.00 each and free shipping it was too tempting. The XPA-2 was out of stock as well the USP-1. For some reason the website charged me for the preamp though but just gave a raincheck for the XPA-2.

Of course, I'm going to swap gear around to see what the amp and preamp can do once they arrive. I'm going to use the subs in my second system. How do you think a sub and Heresy on each channel would rock? I want to utilize the crossover in the USP-1 to do this. These are just my plans, everything is subject to change depending on how the stuff performs and if I keep it all. If the XPA-2 performs as well as it looks on paper it will be a steal at $719.00 and free shipping. That's cheaper than the Rotel or Adcom 200x2 amps.

Department of Heuristics and Research on Material Applications
    If the USP-1 sounds better than the UMC-1 I picked up a few months ago, you'll be happy. As a pre-amp, it certainly sounds better than any of the integrateds or pre-amps I've owned and definitely upgraded the Yamaha receiver it replaced. Let us know how it goes.

Suspended
    Emotiva has great service as well. I needed a few interconnects and had some Monster THX speakers which needed re-termination. The Monster's bananas were too small (a known problem, I found out about too late) and would fall out of the speaker terminals. Emo has termination kits which include four very nice banana plugs, black and red insulators (which the individual +/- speaker wires through) and shrink tubing for a neat look. 2M Ultra stereo interconnects were $8/pr and the termination kits $8 a set, free shipping.

When the package arrived, I terminated the Monster cables (which now have nice "Emotiva" labels on them), but found there were several set screws missing from the termination kits. I emailed Emotiva and Cathy said they would "round up a few" set screws and ship them to me. I expected either a very small box, or envelope with a few set screws inside. Instead, they sent entire replacements kits within a few days. I know at $8/ea, they won't break the bank, but it gives some insight into their attitude towards customer satisfaction.

In the past they had also been very flexible. I purchased a pair of ERM-1 when they were on clearance and an XPA-5. If you purchased three or more ERM-1s you received free shipping, otherwise shipping was $10/pr. After hearing the ERM-1s, I decided to buy a third for the front end of another 5.1 system. Emotiva not only shipped the third speaker free, but credited the $10 I paid for the previously pair. I have no complaints about their quality or service.

Suspended
    Ya know, I remember picking up an LPA-1 a couple of years ago, just don't remember what I did with it...

OH! Here it is on its way to its final resting place behind the brown door:

Outta sight outta mind I guess. I should take it out and pet it once-in-a-while, don't you think?

Suspended
    Kex, did I miss it or are you holding out on us? I didn't know you bought an Emo processor. What is your set up now? Don't you love us any more?

Suspended
    Oh, I got my shipping confirmation today and the USP-1 must be in stock despite what the website said because they shipped me one. Now if I only had an amp. I will probably give it the ultimate test and put it in the main system for a listen. That might be pretty cool, then I can see how the phono stage does.

Department of Heuristics and Research on Material Applications
    Kex, did I miss it or are you holding out on us? I didn't know you bought an Emo processor. What is your set up now? Don't you love us any more?
    Don't think I announced it to the world before today. Think I got it in March or April. i've been busy. It replaced an aging $1200 or so MSRP Yamaha receiver from the year before HDMI was available. It's connected to Emotiva's 7 channel amp and my my Epson projector.

There's a few things that I don't like about it, but all in all it is a big step forward for me, especially in 2 channel performance. On the downside, there were 2 software revisions before the unit worked as well as I demand. For about 4 weeks or so I wasn't sure if I was going to keep it. Satisfied now.

I think I too may have to try the USP-1 next.

Ajani
    I went crazy. I ordered two Ultra 12 subs, at $359.00 each and free shipping it was too tempting. The XPA-2 was out of stock as well the USP-1. For some reason the website charged me for the preamp though but just gave a raincheck for the XPA-2.

Of course, I'm going to swap gear around to see what the amp and preamp can do once they arrive. I'm going to use the subs in my second system. How do you think a sub and Heresy on each channel would rock? I want to utilize the crossover in the USP-1 to do this. These are just my plans, everything is subject to change depending on how the stuff performs and if I keep it all. If the XPA-2 performs as well as it looks on paper it will be a steal at $719.00 and free shipping. That's cheaper than the Rotel or Adcom 200x2 amps.

I can't wait to read your thoughts on the Emotiva gear...

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by Rich-n-Texas
    Ya know, I remember picking up an LPA-1 a couple of years ago, just don't remember what I did with it...

OH! Here it is on its way to its final resting place behind the brown door:

Outta sight outta mind I guess. I should take it out and pet it once-in-a-while, don't you think?
    What you do in the privacy of your own house trailer is your business.
    I just run goood music through mine, keeps it happy.
    LG 42", integra 6.9, B&W 602s2, CC6 center, dm305rears, b&w
    sub asw2500
    Panny DVDA player
    sharp Aquos BLU player
    pronto remote, technics antique direct drive TT
    Samsung SACD/DVDA player
    emotiva upa-2 two channel amp

Kool...let me know when the party begins...I'll be right over. Lets see how it does with vinyl.
    Music...let it into your soul and be moved....with Canton...Pure Music

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    W10 i5 Quad core processor 8GB RAM/Jriver 20/ Fidelizer Optimizer/ iFI Micro DSD DAC-iUSB 3.0/Vincent SA - T1/Vincent SP-331 MK /MMF-7.1/2M BLACK/MS Phenomena ll+/Canton Vento 830.2

Suspended
    Kex, sounds like a nice set up. Have you tried the internal DAC for music? Didn't you pick up an ERC-1 last year?

Mr. P, I am looking forward to your review on the Emo Subs. I'm still looking for a sub for my 1.6's for 2ch . Unfortunately I'm on a budget and the $1K subs that I was looking at a few months ago will have to wait. I see that the Emo subs are sealed which is what I'm looking for.
    Pass Labs X250 amp, BAT Vk-51se Preamp,
    Thorens TD-145 TT, Bellari phono preamp, Nagaoka MP-200 Cartridge
    Magnepan QR1.6 speakers
    Luxman DA-06 DAC
    Van Alstine Ultra Plus Hybrid Tube DAC
    Dual Martin Logan Original Dynamo Subs
    Parasound A21 amp
    Vintage Luxman T-110 tuner
    Magnepan MMG's, Grant Fidelity DAC-11, Class D CDA254 amp
    Monitor Audio S1 speakers, PSB B6 speakers
    Vintage Technic's Integrated amp
    Music Hall 25.2 CDP
    Adcom GFR 700 AVR
    Cables- Cardas, Silnote, BJC
    Velodyne CHT 8 sub

Suspended
    Blackraven, they allow a return you should snag them while on sale with free shipping.

It's not sealed but you wouldn't be disappointed with a SVS either. SVS also offers what looks like a killer parametric EQ.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information