Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Emo at it again

Department of Heuristics and Research on Material Applications
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Peabody
    Kex, sounds like a nice set up. Have you tried the internal DAC for music? Didn't you pick up an ERC-1 last year?
    Yes, the DAC isn't quite as nice sounding for CD's as my ERC-1 but it's no slouch. Dual Cirrus chips if I recall. Two things I remember noticing were better detail and wider soundstage in the ERC-1. I haven't done a comparison since the first few days I had it though, the ERC-1's DAC just sounded better to me.

That said, it handles analog (CD, SACD, etc) much, much better than the receiver did. I expected some improvement, but not quite this much.

It's clear to me Emotiva targeted the Integra DTR-9.8 (which I spent a lot of time with and was a solid Plan B for me) and recievers in the $1000-$2000 range with this thing. It's no Anthem but, for people like me that were using $1000+ a/v receivers as processors, this is a better option.

Suspended
    I got my subs already today. I haven't had a chance to do much with them except open one to take a look. The USP-1 is back ordered. A funny thing about opening the box, I took off the top styrofoam, in the top of the styrofoam was embedded another flat box which contains the grill, I lifted the sub out, giving it the once over, hey, where's the power cord and I thought this thing had feet, looked in the box, felt between the styrofoam and box, thought about emailing Emo for a split second then thought why not take the bottom piece out before I do just to make sure, well, sure enough another box was embedded in the bottom of the bottom styrofoam, if I hadn't lifted it out of the bottom of the box I would have never seen it. Oh, the box had power cord and a set of feet and spikes. I guess tomorrow I will power them up.

I got a free T-shirt too. It's nice, black with the Emo emblem on front and their website on back.

Suspended
    I have a funny Emotiva-related story. I had purchased several speaker termination kits and interconnects during the 4th of July sale. The order shipped in two small boxes which I tracked online. I saw they were delivered, so expected to have the boxes when I arrived home.

When I arrived, no boxes. I wasn't concerned and was going to ask the neighbors if they signed for the delivery. Before I could, another neighbor, over a mile away, called to say he had my "boxes". I could hear hesitation in his voice, so said "Ah good, I wondered what happened to my "audio cables". He replied, "Oh, audio cables, right.".

I didn't know this person and arranged to pick up the boxes. The old codger apparently saw "Emotiva" on the boxes and thought they were "intimate toys", I had sent to his address to avoid embarrassment. I opened the box to assure him they weren't. We had a good chuckle and now he now has a new story to share with friends over coffee.

Suspended
    The Ultra 12's look great and everything about them seems to be quality. The grill is one of the most substantial I've seen on any sub, the frame is thick and heavy. You get a set of both rubber feet AND spikes. I used the rubber feet that screw in. They are cone shape with point down. You don't get a lot of fancy features but you do get the basics like auto turn on, phase control, you can use a single or dual RCA connection, you even get an XLR input, and the crossover bypass switch. The only thing I noticed not quite top notch, the power cord is a bit of a loose fit but seems to stay in fine. Already a 12" sub with this type of power and fit, even if it has average performance it's already a good deal for the price.

Here's what I did and this is only about a 14x14 room, I have my Krell integrated driving a pair of Klipsch, Heresy. From the pre out I connected a Ultra 12 to each channel. I also wanted to elevate the Heresy, so I sat each Heresy on a sub. My crossover point was probably around 60Hz. In this set up the Heresy will still get full range. In deed, the Emo subs can perform. I like them for music better than I did my Velodyne but that really isn't saying much as I thought the Velodyne was terrible for music. They don't seem to be as fast and invisible as my SVS but there is significant price difference. Here's what they did though, with something like Marcus Miller with good low end the subs did not distort and the SPL was unreal. I could feel the bass pounding my body like at a Rock concert. The Ultra 12's have some beefy output to keep up with a 250x2 Krell driving 98dB sensitive speakers, the sub's volume is slightly over 12 o'clock. I took the volume around to full and the amp has plenty of additional headroom from where I have my volume set. They seemed to play low with a CD they does a frequency sweep I will have to put more music to them tomorrow. By the time I got them set up and ran some music it was already getting late. Didn't think the wife and kids would appreciate that type of SPL on through the night.

I don't think you can buy a better sub for the money. They're cheap enough I'd recommend two just because you can and the SPL I experienced was a thrill. I wish I had started another thread, I think I will.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Peabody

I don't think you can buy a better sub for the money. They're cheap enough I'd recommend two just because you can and the SPL I experienced was a thrill. I wish I had started another thread, I think I will.
    Did you know the Emotiva sub has a cousin?

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Before Emotiva launched their own product, they where sold as AV123 product. Mark Schifter, the founder of AV123, Rocket Loud Speakers and Perpetual Technologies continues to have a long rocky friendship with , Dan Laufman, the senior partner in Emotiva.
    Music...let it into your soul and be moved....with Canton...Pure Music

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    W10 i5 Quad core processor 8GB RAM/Jriver 20/ Fidelizer Optimizer/ iFI Micro DSD DAC-iUSB 3.0/Vincent SA - T1/Vincent SP-331 MK /MMF-7.1/2M BLACK/MS Phenomena ll+/Canton Vento 830.2

Suspended
    Playing with placement of the U12 I found just one placed in the corner created lower bass than the way I had the two set up. Not as much physical sensation that way but more low end reinforcement for less, one less sub at a lower gain on the volume knob.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread Information