Crown Xti Hum

Printable View

• 01-02-2007, 05:44 PM
    tony3d
    1 Attachment(s)
    Crown Xti Hum
    Just hooked up my Crown Xti-2000 to a Crown IC-150 pre-amp, and I have a lot of hum and some buzz. The IC-150 pre-amp outputs are going the Xti-2000 with an RCA to XLR cable. The hum is ridiculous. how do I solve this? I had and Onkyo M504 hooked up to the system just before I hooked up the Crown and there was no hum at all. Can I run the amp with nothing in the inputs just to see if it's the unbalanced leads going into a balanced inputs causing the problem? What about the hum boxes like the Rolls he18 or the Art Clean box? Can I just buy that? Oh and buy the way thanks for all this help. I posted on other boards and this has been the must helpful. Unfortunately my cable building*expertise is non existent. I have Attached a info on the Rolls unit.
  • 01-03-2007, 09:17 PM
    tony3d
    I found the ground loop problem! It was the cable box which goes into my 62" tv then the tv goes to my Crown IC-150. Pull those off the Crown and the buzz and hum are gone. I bought the Rolls he18 hum reducer and hooked it up between the tv out and Crown IC-150 and that took care of the hum in my system and doesn't effect the rest of the system. Sounds great plus I can't get the amp hot enough to run the fans. I'm very happy so far. I have no hum or buzz the amp is very quite.*My question is why don't more people buy these pro-amps for home stereo's? This is a very clean powerful amp for $699.00. You would pay at least $1800.00 for half the power in a consumer amp. I'll never look back. I will admit the sound is a bit more analytical the best way I can describe it. I'll never run out of headroom. I have to laugh when I hear people talk about how harsh these pro amps are, I sure don't find them harsh at all.
  • 01-04-2007, 07:21 AM
    Feanor
    Good question!
    Quote:

Originally Posted by tony3d
    I found the ground loop problem! It was the cable box which goes into my 62" tv then the tv goes to my Crown IC-150. Pull those off the Crown and the buzz and hum are gone. I bought the Rolls he18 hum reducer and hooked it up between the tv out and Crown IC-150 and that took care of the hum in my system and doesn't effect the rest of the system. Sounds great plus I can't get the amp hot enough to run the fans. I'm very happy so far. I have no hum or buzz the amp is very quite.

*My question is why don't more people buy these pro-amps for home stereo's? This is a very clean powerful amp for $699.00. You would pay at least $1800.00 for half the power in a consumer amp. I'll never look back. I will admit the sound is a bit more analytical the best way I can describe it. I'll never run out of headroom. I have to laugh when I hear people talk about how harsh these pro amps are, I sure don't find them harsh at all.

Glad hear you solved the hum problem and how you did it.

As for pro amps, I have heard a lot of discussion about it, but no really compelling arguments against the pros. No doubt there are some cheap pro amps that don't sound very good, I doubt your Crown falls in that catergory. My guess is there is really no objective reason for not using pros except the minor one of potentially noisy fans.

But let put it this way, if a person has dedicated himself to the "warm", "harmonically rich" sound of tubes (for example), is he likely to admit that pro sound is as good or even as accurate???? :confused5:
  • 01-04-2007, 11:26 AM
    tony3d
    You are correct Bob. I have been listening to this amp now for hours and I'm just thrilled with it. For $699.00 I feel like I stole it. The fans have not turned on once yet. I'm most impressed with the solid , tight low end. I'm telling you these amps at least this one are absloute deals. I figure it may be at 475 watts per channel into 8 ohms, the last amp I'll probably buy.
  • 01-04-2007, 11:32 AM
    jrhymeammo
    Quote:

the last amp I'll probably buy.

and dont you forget it. Just stay the way you are. Once this hobby/passion gets a hold of you, you will be upgrading beyond your absolute satisfaction.

Congrats,

J-Murda
  • 01-04-2007, 09:34 PM
    Robert-The-Rambler
    I also use DJ gear!!!!
    Quote:

I found the ground loop problem! It was the cable box which goes into my 62" tv then the tv goes to my Crown IC-150. Pull those off the Crown and the buzz and hum are gone. I bought the Rolls he18 hum reducer and hooked it up between the tv out and Crown IC-150 and that took care of the hum in my system and doesn't effect the rest of the system. Sounds great plus I can't get the amp hot enough to run the fans. I'm very happy so far. I have no hum or buzz the amp is very quite.*My question is why don't more people buy these pro-amps for home stereo's? This is a very clean powerful amp for $699.00. You would pay at least $1800.00 for half the power in a consumer amp. I'll never look back. I will admit the sound is a bit more analytical the best way I can describe it. I'll never run out of headroom. I have to laugh when I hear people talk about how harsh these pro amps are, I sure don't find them harsh at all.

I am in your corner on this one. I discovered the same problem with my DJ Amps that I use in my home theater. Here is a link to what my setup is in case you are curious.

http://forums.audioreview.com/home-theater-video/setup-genius-insanity-21054.html

Simply disconnect your cable wire from the cable box and you have no more hum. I nearly jumped for joy when I discovered that. What the heck is a Rolls he Hum reducer? How much does it cost? Where can I get one?
  • 01-05-2007, 05:30 AM
    tony3d
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Robert-The-Rambler
    I am in your corner on this one. I discovered the same problem with my DJ Amps that I use in my home theater. Here is a link to what my setup is in case you are curious.

http://forums.audioreview.com/showthread.php?t=21054

Simply disconnect your cable wire from the cable box and you have no more hum. I nearly jumped for joy when I discovered that. What the heck is a Rolls he Hum reducer? How much does it cost? Where can I get one?

Here is the link........http://www.rolls.com/rollsproducts/. Just look up HE18. Works great, but make sure you put it between the TV out and pre-amp in, not at the end of the chain between the pre-amp out and amp in, as this will effect the sound of the entire system. It's basically a isolation transformer.