Thread: Buget Reciver

Forum Regular

Buget Reciver

For $100 to $150, what is the best receiver i can get to power some paradigm mini's and a Klipsch Sub-10?

I listen to my music loud, but not obnoxious, although, on occasion I do. The Highest I've ever pushed my current system (Yamaha Rx-700U powering JBL 2500's) is to -24 dB, if that is any reference point.

I was looking at the Onkyo tx series but even the 605 looks like too much. What do you guys think?

if youre buying new, pretty much all you can get are low current recievers pretty cheap. if used its a whole nother story. any ways harmon kardon makes 2 channel recievers with high current capabilities on the cheap. although some of their products had reliability issues but so has other companies with higher end products. if possible save longer. paradigms seemm to love lots of current at low volumes.

Forum Regular
    I'm perfectly fine with used, in fact, i prefer it because i can get a good receiver in my budget range.

There is no point in buying an Aston Martin with a a Civic engine right? So why buy an underpowered receiver.

I will look into Harmon Kardon, but what do you think about the Onkyo tx-sr505 and the Yamaha HTR-5650? I've heard good about both, but they are 7.1 i belive.

Is is more beneficial to buy a 2 channel Receiver over a 7, I was under the impression that it will just reroute all the power to the channels being used?

Thanks!

depends on what you are going to want later on. if mostly music and with very little movies. a 2 channel reciever will do nicely. when buying used you could try check the thrift stores. ive found some good stuff at some places . like my sansui. lucked out on that one as it is 35 to 37 years old and the knobs have no static. exception is the loudnes and it is very slight at that. i got it for 15 dollars and it has seperate amp and preamp section in the case. but ya gotta really look at what youre getting if you go that route. no plastic cases in what you buy or youll wind up with a crap reciever. youll find that there is mostly crap that goes thru their doors. but once in a while you come across a gem. infinity rsa speakers come to mind got them for 19.95dollars. gonna refoam them soon. sorry got long winded there. just tried to give a description of what youll find at a thrift store. i have a pretty low budget my self thats why i check these places out. so far two recievers with seperate amp and pre amp sections. but the pioneer is costing me more for repairs. 85.dollars so far.

on a side note im noticing that with a 2 channel amp. im getting convincing surround sound from my paradigms.

Forum Regular
    Do you have any idea on how many watts I will need to power my Paradigms?

Is 100w per channel sufficient?

And finally, will a 5 channel receiver re-route some power to the only channels being used, or if rated to 100w per channel, is that the max you will get?

your last question first.

no it wont do that.

now your first question.

ill start with this. over at radioshack. they have this sherwood that is rated at 100 channels. i bought it. wow 100 watts for under 70 dollars. so i thought. didnt sound much louder than my harmon ht reciever rated for 40 watts per channel in stereo mode. but with the sherwood(radioshack) the amp section kept going to protection mode at around the 35 mark. went upto 60 at max. not good. i returned it when i found a marantz for 40 dollars. good deal? not so fast the right channel is in need of repair. but at low volume it sounds great. not the greatest sounding. but it works. anyways i think i got a fair deal on it when compared by the price. dont just look at the watts when buying, look for high current capabilities instead. down to 4 ohm rating is good as well. alot of speakers dip that low even when rated at 8 ohms

Thread Information