I put the Gee in Gear.... thekid's Avatar

Amping up a VSX-815????

I have added some 6ohm speakers to my HT and now my Pioneer VSX-815 needs a little help to drive them. It does have some outs for adding additional amps for the center, front and surround speakers. The Pioneer owner's manual only tells me it can be done not how it is done. Any help out there?

Also any amp recommendations that are not too expensive?
    Could I use say an older 2-channel amp for say just the fronts?
    Is there a stand alone HT amp that I could hook into all the outs rather than adding 3 separates?

Suspended
    You have to have preamp outputs. You just connect the preamp output to the input of the power amp and then the speakers to the power amp. You can use any amp you think has better drive than the one in the receiver. You can find 3, 5, 7 or even more channel amplifiers. I have yet to see a multichannel amp on Craig's list or other places you shop. You'll have to look at Audiogon. Adcom will probably be your best bang for the buck or maybe NAD. Rotel I think tends to hold value better so therefore will cost more but they make some amps that are bridgeable to mono that would work for a center speaker. Or, you could just use monoblocks. Marantz made some little 125 watt units that sell used reasonable. It may be cheaper just to look for a 3 or 5 channel amp.

Thanks Mr.P

Do you think a Kenwood Basic would also work?

Suspended
    Absolutely. No reason why it wouldn't and you already know how good they are. Do you have a line on another?

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Peabody
    Absolutely. No reason why it wouldn't and you already know how good they are. Do you have a line on another?
    Yep..........

Just a quick update. I scored a Onkyo M-5000 Amp for not too much so I am going to use it for driving the fronts. It is rated at 105WPC so I think it will do the trick. Anyone here familiar with it?

Thread Information