Forum Regular

Whats so great about Cambrige Audio Azur 540R?

I've heard a lot of good about this receiver.
    Would it sound any better than my Onkyo484 amp. 55 watts?
    Or would it sound about the same?
    Guess you can tell I'm still looking for a better amp to improve my system with out spending more than 600 dollars or so.
    My speakers are Polk RT55i Front
    Polk CS 400i Center
    Polk RT25i Rear
    Velodyne CHT12 Sub
    Any other ways to upgrade to make system sound any better?
    Thanks for any help,
    Marc

Department of Heuristics and Research on Material Applications
    $600 is a good chunk of money to buy an amp to upgrade...The 540R is a really good unit, I had a chance to play with one two weeks ago. It impressed me. I'd also recommend some of the lower priced NAD integrateds, the C320Bee for example. Both of these manufacturers are building excellent inexpensive amps right now. I think Topspeed has the 540R, you might wish to track him down and ask him, as I recall he picked it over the C320Bee because it was almost as good, but cheaper. Can't argue with that.

As for improving your system, it's a viscious cycle. A better amp will improve the sound quality, no doubt about it, but you'd probably get better results replacing your speakers with even better ones...you could do a pair at a time for example. Speakers generally have the biggest impact on sound quality, unfortunately, in a 5.1 setup, they can usually be the most costly and time consuming components to upgrade.

When you do upgrade, say, to the 540R, keep in mind you'll have to work it into your 5.1 system. Your receiver better have pre-outs or you could be doing a lot of speaker-wire switching. If your receiver doesn't have pre-outs, I suggest you start looking at upgrading the receiver first to a receiver that has more upgrade flexibility. $600 is enough to buy an even better sounding receiver that would improve your system as well, while giving you more options to add external amps in the future...assuming you don't have pre-outs on your receiver now.

Big science. Hallelujah. noddin0ff's Avatar
    Marc-

I've had the 540A since may. It's a nice unit. I did post in the reviews section of Audioreview, maybe topspeed will as well. I think the most relevant thread in this forum can be found with this link

Cambridge Audio Azur 540A VS. NAD C320 BEE

I'm am still very happy with it. In addition to price and reviews, I purchased this unit because I appreciated the looks and ergonomics. It has a layout that appeals to me. I would agree with kexodusc, that if your looking to improve sound, invest in speakers (unless you have specific reasons to be unhappy with your amp). Other than power, I believe the biggest factor (among respected brands) that determineshow pleasing your amp is to you, is how well you interact with it ergonomically and aesthetically. I'm sure the 0.0001% of the population with large resources and golden ears will vehemently disaggree.

I described the sound of the 540A as 'slightly warm but with good detail, comfortable and confident...without being pushy. I could be projecting. I have Paradigm Minimonitors V3 on it. I'd love to try it someday with my Studios but the Azur is at work.

2 cents,

noddin0ff

Awright already!

Quote Originally Posted by noddin0ff
    Marc-

I've had the 540A since may. It's a nice unit. I did post in the reviews section of Audioreview, maybe topspeed will as well.
    I posted a review! There, now you're not the only one on the review panel .

BTW, great link. I think that thread just about covers everything. Granted, we weren't discussing the reciever, but the sound signature should be very comparable if not exactly the same.

I'd love to try it someday with my Studios but the Azur is at work.
    C'mon noddinoff, it's not like we're talking about moving a pair of 80lb monoblocks here! It's a tiny integrated amp! Take it home and give it a whirl. Let us know if your impressions are the same after driving considerably more revealing speakers like your Studio's. Mixing and matching equipment is all part of the hobby, right?

Big science. Hallelujah. noddin0ff's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by topspeed
    I posted a review! There, now you're not the only one on the review panel .

C'mon noddinoff, it's not like we're talking about moving a pair of 80lb monoblocks here! It's a tiny integrated amp! Take it home and give it a whirl. Let us know if your impressions are the same after driving considerably more revealing speakers like your Studio's. Mixing and matching equipment is all part of the hobby, right?
    If you wanna know...the real reason I don't want to take it home is that if I like it with the studios more, THEN I'll be wanting to take the studio's to my office. and THEN I'll have to upgrade the vacancy in my home and I just don't have the cash for that. It's ALL connected! When ever I allow myself to find something that sounds better, that means either more money or leaving with the knowledge that it could be better. Best not to play with fire.

But honestly, I don't really expect the character of the amp to make a huge difference. Thanks for the review. I'll go read it now.

noddin0ff

Thread Information