Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Forum Regular

Amplifier for Paradigm Reference Studio 20V3

Hi Guys!
    Its been a very long time since my last post on AR!
    But i would love your guys input on my upgrade in amplifier and CD player...
    I'm currently using the studio 20's with the NAD 3020 AND C540 CD player, so now its time to upgrade...

Any thoughts on whats going on at present in the market? Any idea on what i should get?
    I live in Singapore, so there are a number of options, but i cant carry my speakers to the shop all the time since they are heavy and i dont own a car at present here...

So if the verdict is strong on a particular brand, i'm ready to go on your advise...

Suspended
    What amps do you have access to? What type of sound do you like? What type of music? Are you wanting an integrated amp?

Brands like Krell, Naim or Bryston would be good and give you a controlled sound with a lot of dynamics and punch.

Forum Regular
    Thanks for your input!
    The brands that are available to me in Singapore are Rotel, Arcam, Nad, Audiolab and all the brands you mentioned.

But i'm on a budget!
    I am looking for something around $1000 dollar catorgory. And i'm more towards a intergrated amp, my music tastes range from Rock to Blues and Latin etc

Hope you can help

can you go used?

I'm sure you'd find a used bryston or krell integrated or poweramp on the used market somewhere for under 1k...

both will be a huge upgrade from your Nad, if you can't go used, you could still check out Arcam or so, otherwise rotel...
    any chance you would be able to get a parasound amp?

Keep them spinning,
    Bert.
    Life is music!

Mcintosh MA6400 Integrated
    Double Advent speakers
    Thiel CS2.3's
    *DIY Lenco L75 TT
    * SME 3012 S2
    * Rega RB-301
    *Denon DL-103 in midas body
    *Denon DL-304
    *Graham slee elevator EXP & revelation
    *Lehmann audio black cube SE
    Marantz CD5001 OSE
    MIT AVt 2 IC's
    Sonic link Black earth IC's
    Siltech MXT New york IC's
    Kimber 4VS speakercable
    Furutech powercord and plugs.

I'm a happy 20 year old...

Forum Regular
    Thanks so much mate!
    Yeah there is a used market here but not very sure, maybe ebay might be an option...
    Actually i tried the Rotel RA-06 with the studio 20's and it sounded very good, but was wondering if there is something better for the price.
    Thank you once again for the input

Paradigms have their benefits

Quote Originally Posted by tony340
    Hi Guys!
    Its been a very long time since my last post on AR!
    But i would love your guys input on my upgrade in amplifier and CD player...
    I'm currently using the studio 20's with the NAD 3020 AND C540 CD player, so now its time to upgrade...
    A nice thing about the Paradigms, including the Reference V3's, is that they are moderately efficient, so unless your rooms is quite large, you won't need stupendous power to drive them well. But yes, I think you can do better than the NADs up to the C372 at least, and same for Rotel and Adcom models under $1k.

Definitely within your range is the Onkyo A-9555 which has had some very good reviews.

Between $1k and $2k are models from Naim and Creek than might be available used for around your maximum; their power output isn't especially high but they should be fine with the Paradigms. I personally would consider a used copy of the Bel Canto e.One S300i, or the PS Audio Trio C-100; both are "digital" amps (as is the Onkyo) and are more powerful.

Forum Regular
    Where can i find a used Bel Canto? And how much will a used one cost?
    Thanks for your advice

Audiogon

Where can i find a used Bel Canto? And how much will a used one cost?
    Thanks for your advice
    Audiogon is the best single place to look for used hi-fi equipment. The only issue you might have is shipping to Singapore but it doesn't hurt to ask even if the sellers says "USA only" ...
    http://www.audiogon.com/

I don't see a Bel Canto integrated there now, but here is a PS Audio Trio C-100 for US$990 that you might want to check out ...
    http://cls.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls....ran&1201488627

There are a few other attractive integrates there now for under a grand, e.g. the following; (these are examples only and I'm not specifically endorsing any of them) ...

Krell KAV300i ...
    http://cls.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls....ran&1201579288

NuForce IA-7, (also a digital amp) ...
    http://cls.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls....ran&1201370889

Naim Nait 5i ...
    http://cls.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls....ran&1200599379

Classe CAP-100 that includes a phono section if that's of interest to you ...
    http://cls.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls....ran&1199402222

Super Moderator Site Moderator JohnMichael's Avatar
    The Onkyo A 9555 received a very good review from Absolute Sound with the Studio 20's v3. I own the Onkyo and find it very transparent and revealing. Dynamics are very good. An amazing amp for the money and well built.
    JohnMichael
    Vinyl Rega Planar 2, Incognito rewire, Deepgroove subplatter, ceramic bearing, Michell Technoweight, Rega 24V motor, TTPSU, FunkFirm Achroplat platter, Michael Lim top and bottom braces, 2 Rega feet and one RDC cones. Grado Sonata, Moon 110 LP phono.
    Digital
    Sony SCD-XA5400ES SACD/cd SID mat, Marantz SA 8001
    Int. Amp Krell S-300i
    Speaker
    Monitor Audio RS6
    Cables
    AQ SPKR and AQ XLR and IC

Forum Regular
    Thanks everyone for your great advice, its nice to have people like you helping a bloke like me, who is relatively new to the high fidelity scene!!!

Anyways, the options that i have here in Singapore for my budget are the, Rotel RA-06 and the Rotel RA-1070, AND 1062, plus the Onkyo A 9555, plus Arcam, Marantz, and Cambridge audio options

Whats the verdict? Since i dont have 2nd hand options here

Suspended
    With out a doubt the Arcam is the stand out amp in that group. The Arcam's are fast and detailed. They also are incredible at driving difficult speaker loads. The Rotel are well respected but to me are almost opposite the Arcam. I find Rotel quite laid back in their presentation. The FMJ series is best in the Arcam. With the Paradigm and the lower level Arcam you may find it to be.... well let's just say you won't have trouble hearing cymbals.

I have yet to hear anything bad about the 9555. It continues to amaze and please those who buy them. I'd be confident that they would be preferred over Marantz or Cambridge and they are much less money than Arcam. On a budget especially I'd suggest trying the 9555. If you buy from some place that allows 30 day return if not happy, what do you have to lose.

Arcam example

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Peabody
    With out a doubt the Arcam is the stand out amp in that group. The Arcam's are fast and detailed. They also are incredible at driving difficult speaker loads. The Rotel are well respected but to me are almost opposite the Arcam. I find Rotel quite laid back in their presentation. The FMJ series is best in the Arcam. With the Paradigm and the lower level Arcam you may find it to be.... well let's just say you won't have trouble hearing cymbals.

Here's an Arcam C85 on Audiogon at the moment, asking $650. The A85 has 85 wpc and should driver the Paradigms very handily. This isn't one of the FMJ series however ...
    http://cls.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls....ran&1200883543

A recent but not current model FMJ integrated would be under $1k, I'd guess.

I'll second the Arcam,
    It's definately the only product in your list that would make a big audible difference, not that rotel is bad, but they're also a bit wooly sounding, just like NAD, so you'll hear a bit of an upgrade, but it won't be like 'WOW', the arcam probably will make you feel like that

Keep them spinning,
    Bert.
    Life is music!

Mcintosh MA6400 Integrated
    Double Advent speakers
    Thiel CS2.3's
    *DIY Lenco L75 TT
    * SME 3012 S2
    * Rega RB-301
    *Denon DL-103 in midas body
    *Denon DL-304
    *Graham slee elevator EXP & revelation
    *Lehmann audio black cube SE
    Marantz CD5001 OSE
    MIT AVt 2 IC's
    Sonic link Black earth IC's
    Siltech MXT New york IC's
    Kimber 4VS speakercable
    Furutech powercord and plugs.

I'm a happy 20 year old...

Quote Originally Posted by JohnMichael
    The Onkyo A 9555 received a very good review from Absolute Sound with the Studio 20's v3. I own the Onkyo and find it very transparent and revealing. Dynamics are very good. An amazing amp for the money and well built.
    I,ve too heard all the wonderful reviews on the 9555. Have you, or do you know of any where, or any place thats done a side by side on teh 9555 and teh Marantz PM7001? Both can be had for $399.00 at Acessories.com

frenchmon

Forum Regular
    Guys! Thanks so much for everything!!!!
    I've heard pretty good reviews about the Arcam FMJ A32. What do you guys think? The Arcam A90 is another one of the Arcam options.The Audiolab 8000S is highly recommended but I have no option to audition it with my speakers.

Suspended
    The A32 would be a good choice. Here's a review.
    http://www.soundstage.com/revequip/arcam_a32.htm

I used the FMJ P35 3-channel to drive Dynaudio Contour t2.5 mains and t2.1 center. The amp is rated at 100x3, 100 wpc as the A32. It drove the Dyn's without any strain and sounded great. The Paradigms you have are easier to drive and more sensitive than my Dyn's. You should have a good match.

Forum Regular
    Thank you very much!

Super Moderator Site Moderator JohnMichael's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by frenchmon
    I,ve too heard all the wonderful reviews on the 9555. Have you, or do you know of any where, or any place thats done a side by side on teh 9555 and teh Marantz PM7001? Both can be had for $399.00 at Acessories.com

frenchmon

Bon soir Frenchmon. Je regrette but I am unaware of any comparisons between the Onkyo and Marantz.
    JohnMichael
    Vinyl Rega Planar 2, Incognito rewire, Deepgroove subplatter, ceramic bearing, Michell Technoweight, Rega 24V motor, TTPSU, FunkFirm Achroplat platter, Michael Lim top and bottom braces, 2 Rega feet and one RDC cones. Grado Sonata, Moon 110 LP phono.
    Digital
    Sony SCD-XA5400ES SACD/cd SID mat, Marantz SA 8001
    Int. Amp Krell S-300i
    Speaker
    Monitor Audio RS6
    Cables
    AQ SPKR and AQ XLR and IC

Forum Regular
    Guys!
    Actually i just found out that there are dealers for brands like Bryston, Parasound, Luxman etc here in Singapore!!!!! So the options are all there, since i've checked through the websites... So as long as the price is within my budget, i would like to get the best for the money!!! It is impossible to carry my speakers to the dealer, so i've to be very sure that the amp will match... I checked, the Arcam FMJ A32 is beyond my budget, so what options are the best options for me within my price range?? I know these are hard questions but i'm very new to Hi Fi so i need lots of advice, and i'm confident u guys can help!!
    Thanks for everything so far...

Forum Regular
    There is a Bel Canto Evo 2 Gen 2 Ref power amp on ebay... Just wondering iof its worthwhile to bid for it? Do u think theres a chance for me to get it for under a grand?? Thanks

Maybe!

There is a Bel Canto Evo 2 Gen 2 Ref power amp on ebay... Just wondering iof its worthwhile to bid for it? Do u think theres a chance for me to get it for under a grand?? Thanks
    I owned a Bel Canto eVo2i Gen 2 integrated. It was a very fine amp indeed; I would say easily equal to or better than an Arcam FMJ.

Do you intend to user your NAD as a preamp? That should be satisfactory, though an inferior preamp will limit you power amp's performance; (although, IMO, the power amp typically makes more difference).

When dealing on eBay take a good look a the seller's reputation. Read buyers' comments carefully, and also look for relatively recent responses. I recommend not dealing with anyone with less than 99% approval. Also, take account of the shipping charges.

Yes, might get luck and get the Bel for under a grand -- but don't get sucked into bidding more than you're really able and willing to pay.

Forum Regular
    thank you so much for your kindness! Yes i will definitely be careful when bidding, but the seller has no comments since its his first sale... Also please forgive me for asking, but does this amp need a pre? i am very sorry but this is my ignorance!!!!!

Suspended
    A "power" amp will need a preamp. You should look at "integrated" amps which is the pre and power in one box. I also differ with Feanor, I maintain that the preamp is more important to sound quality than the power amp. You need a good power amp to maintain the signal and to efficiently drive whatever speakers you have but if your signal is degraded in the preamp section there isn't nothing a power amp can do to correct that. Each link down stream from the source on can only maintain, it cannot add anything that isn't there coming into the input. The Bel Canto would still be a good move, as Feanor stated you could use the NAD's preamp output to drive the Bel Canto until you save up enough to get a better preamp.

If your budget don't allow for the A32, it isn't going to afford a Bryston. I'm not sure if Parasound makes an integrated but that would be a good line to look at. Parasound won't be as clean as Arcam but they have always been known for plenty strength and quality at their price. It may be separates from them could come close to your budget. Luxman has not been in the states for some time. I've had a couple vintage pieces and those have been very clean and detailed but lacked in bass punch to my taste. Any Musical Fidelity over there.

In your budget to gain any substantial quality over your NAD you will have to either buy in steps, like get a power then a pre, or patiently watch the used market for the right deal.

Forum Regular
    guys, i'm really looking for second hand gear i guess, cos to get something good, and affordable, its the only way... anyways, there are 2 mcintosh amps on ebay... one is the mc 7100 and the other is mc 2002. both are power amps and wil need pre amps. what do u think???

Suspended
    You use 220 volt where you are at don't you?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information