Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Quote Originally Posted by tony340
    Guys!
    Actually i just found out that there are dealers for brands like Bryston, Parasound, Luxman etc here in Singapore!!!!! So the options are all there, since i've checked through the websites... So as long as the price is within my budget, i would like to get the best for the money!!! It is impossible to carry my speakers to the dealer, so i've to be very sure that the amp will match... I checked, the Arcam FMJ A32 is beyond my budget, so what options are the best options for me within my price range?? I know these are hard questions but i'm very new to Hi Fi so i need lots of advice, and i'm confident u guys can help!!
    Thanks for everything so far...

If you can get one,
    Get a luxman...

they've been gone for quite a while (they were a real exotic high end brand in the 70's, in the 80's alpine bought them and all went bad, but they're back again, bringing you extremely high end stuff)

get one of their integrateds or so, if you can find one for under 1k...
    do mind you get a new luxman, anything old is from the alpine era and therefore is bad.

if you can't get a luxman, I'd take the parasound or the bryston...

Keep them spinning,
    Bert.
    Life is music!

Mcintosh MA6400 Integrated
    Double Advent speakers
    Thiel CS2.3's
    *DIY Lenco L75 TT
    * SME 3012 S2
    * Rega RB-301
    *Denon DL-103 in midas body
    *Denon DL-304
    *Graham slee elevator EXP & revelation
    *Lehmann audio black cube SE
    Marantz CD5001 OSE
    MIT AVt 2 IC's
    Sonic link Black earth IC's
    Siltech MXT New york IC's
    Kimber 4VS speakercable
    Furutech powercord and plugs.

I'm a happy 20 year old...

Forum Regular
    Yes, we use 220V here in Singapore, but i do use a lot of other appliances in my home that i bought in the states which are 110, but i use them through step down transformers... Thanks for the info on Luxman, but the only thing is, i dont see them having a proper website! Do u know the address??

Forum Regular
    Also there is a Naim Nait 5i Integrated... Is it a good amp??

The McIntosh

guys, i'm really looking for second hand gear i guess, cos to get something good, and affordable, its the only way... anyways, there are 2 mcintosh amps on ebay... one is the mc 7100 and the other is mc 2002. both are power amps and wil need pre amps. what do u think???
    They are sweet lookers, especailly the MC 2002 with the meters. But for sound, you'll be much better off with the Bel Canto or, for that matter, the Arcam FMJ.

Yep

Also there is a Naim Nait 5i Integrated... Is it a good amp??
    I haven't heard it personally but the Nait 5i has a great reputation. Only 60 wpc, but that would be enough in a small-medium room with the Paradigms.

Suspended
    The Nait is good and Naim's 60 watts is a mighty powerful 60 watts. Naim seems to have better synergy with other Naim gear though, so keep that in mind.

Forum Regular
    Ok guys thanks so much... I will be trying to make a decision by the end of the week..
    So everyone feel the Luxman to be a good bet with my studio 20? And if so which model?

Quote Originally Posted by Feanor
    They are sweet lookers, especailly the MC 2002 with the meters. But for sound, you'll be much better off with the Bel Canto or, for that matter, the Arcam FMJ.

he should look for a new Mcintosh integrated, the 7100 is a small mc, it doesn't have the tranny they're famous for. And the 2002 is vintage, with the vintage Mc sound.
    But I can't see how he could go wrong with a newer Mcintosh integrated or pre/power combo...

or an accuphase, a used one, a 210 or a 211 or so...

For the Luxman, it would be a really good amp (and I've heard one of their integrateds), but unfortunately, their entry model already costs 2k in Japan (country of origin), so I expect the prizes in other countries to be even higher...

Keep them spinning,
    Bert.
    Life is music!

Double Advent speakers
    Thiel CS2.3's
    *DIY Lenco L75 TT
    * SME 3012 S2
    * Rega RB-301
    *Denon DL-304
    Marantz CD5001 OSE
    MIT AVt 2 IC's
    Kimber 4VS speakercable

Further McIntosh

Quote Originally Posted by basite
    he should look for a new Mcintosh integrated, the 7100 is a small mc, it doesn't have the tranny they're famous for. And the 2002 is vintage, with the vintage Mc sound.
    But I can't see how he could go wrong with a newer Mcintosh integrated or pre/power combo...

or an accuphase, a used one, a 210 or a 211 or so...

For the Luxman, it would be a really good amp (and I've heard one of their integrateds), but unfortunately, their entry model already costs 2k in Japan (country of origin), so I expect the prizes in other countries to be even higher...

Keep them spinning,
    Bert.
    McIntosh integrates manufactured within the last 10 years will give the Arcam FMJ, Naim, and Bel Canto a run for their money. Mac integrates in this category include the MA4500, 6300, 6500, 6850, 6900. But note: of these only the MA6900 has the autoformer output.

I'm not sure I'd recommend older Accuphase or Luxman, and the newer ones are exceedingly expensive.

Quote Originally Posted by Feanor
    McIntosh integrates manufactured within the last 10 years will give the Arcam FMJ, Naim, and Bel Canto a run for their money. Mac integrates in this category include the MA4500, 6300, 6500, 6850, 6900. But note: of these only the MA6900 has the autoformer output.

I'm not sure I'd recommend older Accuphase or Luxman, and the newer ones are exceedingly expensive.

4500? don't you mean the 6450 and the 6400, I don't think there ever was a 4500...

older luxmans aren't that good anymore, good ones back then were class A, but their design was faulty in the long term, and they exausted the amp, so when you buy a old luxman integrated, which was class A, you will probably find it sounding muffled...

and the Accuphase I ment (210 and 211) are like 6 years old at most, I wouldn't call that old
    a few months ago my dealer had a 4 year old accuphase E211, listed for €1000, it was gone within one week...

Keep them spinning,
    Bert.
    Life is music!

Double Advent speakers
    Thiel CS2.3's
    *DIY Lenco L75 TT
    * SME 3012 S2
    * Rega RB-301
    *Denon DL-304
    Marantz CD5001 OSE
    MIT AVt 2 IC's
    Kimber 4VS speakercable

Yep, right

Quote Originally Posted by basite
    4500? don't you mean the 6450 and the 6400, I don't think there ever was a 4500...

and the Accuphase I ment (210 and 211) are like 6 years old at most, I wouldn't call that old
    a few months ago my dealer had a 4 year old accuphase E211, listed for €1000, it was gone within one week...

Keep them spinning,
    Bert.
    Yes, I meant the MA6450.

And sort of yes: a E-210, (1995+), or particularly a E-211, (1998+), would be worth pouncing on at <$1500. In fact I'd love one, especially with a phono board. But I don't know how likely you'd be to find one at that price.

Suspended
    If you can use 110v you can find a Krell 300i sometimes for $1k or less. The 300i would rock, Class A preamp, 150 wpc rated but seemingly endless power and Krell's iron grip control with deep hard hitting bass and true fully balanced circuits. Krell is another brand though I feel has better synergy either with the same brand or at least one with similar goals, balanced and extremely high current topology. The 300i would light up the Paradigms though.

I wonder what effect using a power converter would have on an amp like Krell?

Quote Originally Posted by JohnMichael
    Bon soir Frenchmon. Je regrette but I am unaware of any comparisons between the Onkyo and Marantz.
    Thanks anyways.

frenchmon

Forum Regular
    Thank you very much to everyone!! I am extremely grateful to you...
    Anyways, the options of buying second hand gear is very difficult, so i have come down to a few options, the Arcam Diva A70 and A90... The Rega Brio 3 and the Rotel RA-1062...

Suspended
    I'm not familiar with the Brio. Arcam or Rotel, I'd say it depends on what you like and what you listen to. Those two are on opposite sides of the spectrum with Arcam being fast and detailed, on the attack, no problems driving difficult loads but not the last word in brute force, while Rotel is laid back and pleasant. Although I've heard a lot of Rotel I've never had the chance to push one to the limits so I'm not sure how powerful they are.

Forum Regular
    Hello fellow audiophiles! (Though i'm not one!!)
    Thanks so much for everything! I finally heard the best for the money...
    I bought the Rotel RA-1062 which matched the studio 20 brilliantly. So i got it for $600, and really good value.. So thank you and i hope you can help me with my CD player, the new thread i have already started.. God bless.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread Information