Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

affordable mono blocks??

Well im going on to do a system overall and since I need to do it on a bit of a budget, i need an amp for about $1000. The amp will be hopefully powering a pair of Sonus Faber Concertino Domus. I would preferably use mono blocks than just a two channel amp. Are there any affordable decent monoblocks out there?

thanks for all you help guys(and girl, yes I didn't forget you FA)
    that makes as much sense as a drunken mongoose playing the piano

Oh yeah! Believe it

Quote Originally Posted by icarus
    Well im going on to do a system overall and since I need to do it on a bit of a budget, i need an amp for about $1000. The amp will be hopefully powering a pair of Sonus Faber Concertino Domus. I would preferably use mono blocks than just a two channel amp. Are there any affordable decent monoblocks out there?

Here you go! I recommend these whole-heartedly -- I'm using a pair right now and love 'em. Some say they have a tube-like sound, I simply say they sound great. 75 watts/ch into 8 ohms or 120 wt/ch into 4 ohms.

By the way, the seller in the Audiogon ad, below, is the manufacturer. I'm certain the price is for a pair of SM-70 Pros althoug the ad is a bit vague on the point. These units are supposedly used, but ... hummm?!? Ask about a waranty.
    Last edited by Feanor; 02-21-2007 at 05:26 PM.

thanks alot fean, but im a bit more interested in a new amp, I might be even up to doubling my budget to 2 grand for a pair. But the cheaper the better.

I highly doubt that you will be able to find any decent monoblocks in that price range. You would be better off spending that money on a good 2-channel amp, rather than a so-so set of monoblocks. However, if you are able to spend some serious cash than monoblocks are the way to go, but that get's well above the $3,000 mark. I was thinking about getting the Parasound Halo monoblocks, which are $3,000/each...ouch!!! If you go to AudioAdvisor they have some Vincent Audio stuff in your price range, but I have never heard their stuff, so that's a question maybe someone else can answer.

yeah, vincent has some monoblocks in that pricerange

http://www.vincent-tac.de/en/produkt/end.php

I have never heard them, but some people say that they play quite 2 dimensional, but they go really loud. but preamps do more about the sound so I wouldn't bother too much about that...

it has to be said though... Vincent is a chinese brand, Germans are designing it, but it is chinese, and chinese made, and i'm not sure that this is in a high tech factory...
    and they rip of from classe and mark levinson, but they make it cheaper, so quality will be lost...

but why don't you go for a bridgable stereo power amp? like a rotel, or a primare or so? then you could buy one stereo amp now, and save on for a second one, and then bridge them...

the primare stuff is expensive though...

Keep them spinning,
    Bert.
    Life is music!

Mcintosh MA6400 Integrated
    Double Advent speakers
    Thiel CS2.3's
    *DIY Lenco L75 TT
    * SME 3012 S2
    * Rega RB-301
    *Denon DL-103 in midas body
    *Denon DL-304
    *Graham slee elevator EXP & revelation
    *Lehmann audio black cube SE
    Marantz CD5001 OSE
    MIT AVt 2 IC's
    Sonic link Black earth IC's
    Siltech MXT New york IC's
    Kimber 4VS speakercable
    Furutech powercord and plugs.

I'm a happy 20 year old...

Your call or your loss

thanks alot fean, but im a bit more interested in a new amp, I might be even up to doubling my budget to 2 grand for a pair. But the cheaper the better.
    Believe me, you wouldn't be disappointed with the Monarchy's. Also, I'm suggesting to you that in the Audiogon ad Monarchy Audio is actually selling you new amps, (likely overstocks or dealer returns), and will most likely provide you with a warranty if you ask for one.

I would at least email or 'phone Monarchy and ask them for more details.

Vincent amps?!? They are an unknown commodity compared to Monarchy. Do a search in Audio Asylum's Amp/Preamp Asylum for "SM-70" or "Monarchy": they enjoy a high reputation.

Crackhead Extraordinaire Dusty Chalk's Avatar
    Eschew fascism.
    Truth Will Out.
    Quote Originally Posted by stevef22
    you guys are crackheads.
    I remain,
    Peter aka Dusty Chalk

Whoa! Good suggestion

But the man says he doesn't want used -- pity.

Super Moderator Site Moderator JohnMichael's Avatar
    I have not heard these but Stereophile gave them a good review.

http://www.musicdirect.com/products/...ku=ACIAD%2D100
    JohnMichael
    Vinyl Rega Planar 2, Incognito rewire, Deepgroove subplatter, ceramic bearing, Michell Technoweight, Rega 24V motor, TTPSU, FunkFirm Achroplat platter, Michael Lim top and bottom braces, 2 Rega feet and one RDC cones. Grado Sonata, Moon 110 LP phono.
    Digital
    Sony SCD-XA5400ES SACD/cd SID mat, Marantz SA 8001
    Int. Amp Krell S-300i
    Speaker
    Monitor Audio RS6
    Cables
    AQ SPKR and AQ XLR and IC

Quote Originally Posted by Feanor
    But the man says he doesn't want used -- pity.
    Oh. I missed that.
    Eschew fascism.
    Truth Will Out.
    you guys are crackheads.
    I remain,
    Peter aka Dusty Chalk

So basically its a longshot dream to get affordable monblocks that have some decent quality. So i would probably be better off putting that money towards a good two channel amp eh...

Or you can look used.

The Musical Fidelity A3^CR and A3.2 are essentially dual-monoblock design internally. They often run under US$1K.
    Eschew fascism.
    Truth Will Out.
    you guys are crackheads.
    I remain,
    Peter aka Dusty Chalk

Here's a thought...what about getting two really good 2-channel amps (like the Parasound HaloA23), which is about $850MSRP and I know you can probably get it from less than $700, so get two of them and run them bridged.

Thats a great idea skies, never thought of using 2 channel amps as a monoblock...i'll definately have to look into that one...

A 2-channel amp in bridge mode is not exactly still equal to a true monoblock, but is a cost effective alternative to getting more power to the speakers. You will also want to check your OHm rating on your speakers before getting ahead of yourself. The Parasound HaloA23 that I mentioned can do 200w/channel in stereo @ 4 ohms, but can do 400w/channel in bridged mode @ 8ohms. Just something to consider. The Parasound Halo JC1 monoblock destroys those numbers those.

Something to consider

Quote Originally Posted by PeruvianSkies
    A 2-channel amp in bridge mode is not exactly still equal to a true monoblock, but is a cost effective alternative to getting more power to the speakers. You will also want to check your OHm rating on your speakers before getting ahead of yourself. The Parasound HaloA23 that I mentioned can do 200w/channel in stereo @ 4 ohms, but can do 400w/channel in bridged mode @ 8ohms. Just something to consider. The Parasound Halo JC1 monoblock destroys those numbers those.
    A person thinking of using a 2-ch amp in bridged mode should consider that though the amp might be rated for 4 ohms in 2-ch, it might good for only 8 ohms in bridged mode. Basically that's because each channel is see only half the impedance of the speaker, e.g. a 4 ohm speaker looks like 2 ohms to the bridged amp.

A 2-channel amp in bridge mode is not exactly still equal to a true monoblock...
    Why not?
    Eschew fascism.
    Truth Will Out.
    you guys are crackheads.
    I remain,
    Peter aka Dusty Chalk

I don't know as much as you guys on these things, but I have heard that you can get better results with 2-2 chanel amps by, by-amping instead of bridging.
    WARNING! - The Surgeon General has determined that, time spent listening to music is not deducted from one's lifespan.

Well...

Quote Originally Posted by Dusty Chalk
    Why not?

The obvious reason is why would anyone buy a monoblock amp that costs much more than buying 2 stereo amps and running them in bridge mode. There must be a difference and there is.

If you look at the ratings on monoblocks vs. a stereo amp they are quite different even in running bridge mode, plus a monoblock is designed to carry a heavy load with one channel and will outperform and outhaul a stereo amp in bridge mode.

Using my example the Parasound Halo JC1 can do 800 watts/channel @ 4 ohms

The HaloA23 in bridge mode can only do 400 watts/channel @ 8 ohms.

My rationalization for recommending using 2 of the HaloA23's was for cost effeciency because you can get two of them and run them in bridge mode, which will certainly act more like a monoblock and lighten the load and also cost less than buying two monoblocks.

Cost breakdown: 2 Parasound JC1's for example would cost: Approx. $6,000
    2 Halo A23's would cost: Approx. $1400.

That's quite a big difference! Even if you were to go with the HaloA21, which would be
    2 Halo A21's would cost approx. $3400.

But they're monoblock in spirit. For example, one of the reasons I like monoblocks is that there's (much) less crosstalk between the channels at the amplifier -- since they're situated separately. Similarly, a pair of stereo amps in bridge mode driving one speaker each will have similar crosstalk specs. Also -- getting pedantic now -- monoblock to me means "one amp driving one speaker", and it's kind of doing that, so I guess I'm just being nitpicky, but nothing you said has convinced me that using "monoblock" is incorrect to describe a stereo amp in bridge mode driving one speaker.
    Eschew fascism.
    Truth Will Out.
    you guys are crackheads.
    I remain,
    Peter aka Dusty Chalk

You simply don't really read what other people say do you? When did I say that one was the correct and one was incorrect? Here's an idea...go through and read the thread carefully and you will see that I was mentioning the bridge mode as an alternative to cut cost and nearly get the same thing.

so I guess I'm just being nitpicky, but nothing you said has convinced me that using "monoblock" is incorrect to describe a stereo amp in bridge mode driving one speaker.

I don't think Peruvian was trying to convince you that your terminology is wrong, but rather that an actual Monoblock will outperform a bridged 2 channel amp.

As for cheap Monoblocks: What ever Happened to Norh? And the ultracheap Norh Le-Amp 2 Mono Blocks ($600 per pair including shipping)?

http://www.norh.com/products/leamp2/index.html

I remember 4 years ago, there were so many recomendations on this site for Norh... Whatever ever happened to all those Norh fanatics?

Depends

... Also -- getting pedantic now -- monoblock to me means "one amp driving one speaker", and it's kind of doing that, so I guess I'm just being nitpicky, but nothing you said has convinced me that using "monoblock" is incorrect to describe a stereo amp in bridge mode driving one speaker.
    My Monarchy SM-70 Pros, while capable of being used as 2 channel, are optimized for use as monoblocks driven by a fully balanced signal -- not really typical of course.

A low cost monoblock option

A low cost monoblock option not mentioned so far is Outlaw's 2200, 200 watts, $325. Gotta be a bargain at the price, new, though Icarus' budget goes higher.

Using my example the Parasound Halo JC1 can do 800 watts/channel @ 4 ohms

The HaloA23 in bridge mode can only do 400 watts/channel @ 8 ohms.
    But you're comparing apples to oranges here -- are you trying to tell me that the Halo A23 is somehow equivalent to the Halo JC1? The A23 is a $850 amplifier, the JC1 is a $6000 amplifier. It's not better because it's a monoblock, it's better because it's a better amplifier.
    Eschew fascism.
    Truth Will Out.
    you guys are crackheads.
    I remain,
    Peter aka Dusty Chalk

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information