Krell Integrated

My system currently consists of:

- Paradigm Studio 60 v4 loudspeakers
    - Rotel RSX-1057 5.1 receiver (used only for audio decoding, all video is connected directly to the TV)

My sources are:

- Motorola DCT6416 HD+DVR Cable Box
    - Denon DVD-2930CI (used primarily for DVD and CD)
    - Squeezebox 3 network music player

In any case, seeing as my system is 2-channel (no subwoofer even), I'm not really getting any added benefit from a full 5.1 receiver (though I do love this receiver).

I have an opportunity to purchase a Krell KAV-400xi integrated amp for $1,595 CAD (a very reasonable price as this model typically retails for over $3,000 CAD). This model is very highly regarded in reviews, and I've read that this integrated amp is superior to entry-level separates from Arcam, Rotel, NAD and Outlaw.

In your opinion, worth the upgrade? Seeing as the amp costs twice my speakers, I'm nervous as to what the effects might be. Will this be a reasonable match? Will I need to consider some serious cabling upgrades? Any negatives?
    Last edited by elapsed; 02-04-2007 at 09:21 PM.

If you can get the KAV for a good price... I'd say go for it.... though you don't need 200 watts of power.... it certainly doesn't hurt to have it... and in this case it's not that you're just going for more power, you're also stepping up the quality.... Rotel to Krell should be a good upgrade...

That's what I'm planning to do.... Upgrade my Rotels to either the KAV-400xi or something from Music Fidelity...

Looks good!!

Quote Originally Posted by elapsed
    My system currently consists of:

- Paradigm Studio 60 v4 loudspeakers
    - Rotel RSX-1057 5.1 receiver (used only for audio decoding, all video is connected directly to the TV)

My sources are:

- Motorola DCT6416 HD+DVR Cable Box
    - Denon DVD-2930CI (used primarily for DVD and CD)
    - Squeezebox 3 network music player

In any case, seeing as my system is 2-channel (no subwoofer even), I'm not really getting any added benefit from a full 5.1 receiver (though I do love this receiver).

I have an opportunity to purchase a Krell KAV-400xi integrated amp for $1,595 CAD (a very reasonable price as this model typically retails for over $3,000 CAD). This model is very highly regarded in reviews, and I've read that this integrated amp is superior to entry-level separates from Arcam, Rotel, NAD and Outlaw.

In your opinion, worth the upgrade? Seeing as the amp costs twice my speakers, I'm nervous as to what the effects might be. Will this be a reasonable match? Will I need to consider some serious cabling upgrades? Any negatives?
    The price is very good for the KAV-400xi assuming it's in good condition and comes with manual & remote control. There will be no problems with your Paradigm speakers, and no, assuming you have low-mid-range cables, (roughly in the $30 range), you'll have not immediate need to upgrade cables.

I haven't heard it but based on the reputation of the 400xi, you'll get great dynamics and, likely, superior resolution. The Studio 60's are good enough to take advantage of these improvements.

I have not heard the Krell integrated but I own the Krell Showcase processor and I will tell you it is one spectacular piece of work. This thing images like you cannot imagine. It sounds like there are speakers behind you when you are listening in stereo. This company designs some truly amazing pieces.

So, if this integrated is anything even remotely like the Showcase, which I suspect that it is, I would suggest you buy it right the heck now. You will be thrilled with your purchase.

Crackhead Extraordinaire Dusty Chalk's Avatar
    I used to own the KAV-300i -- the KAV-400xi's predecessor. I was completely underwhelmed. I had one system in which it just sounded etchy and cold, and another in which it sounded exquisite. IMHO, keep looking -- it's just too much of a gamble.

That is a fairly decent price, however -- just taking a quick look over at Audiogon...

I have also since been told that Krell's real strength is in their separates, but that was also before the KAV-400xi had been introduced.
    Eschew fascism.
    Truth Will Out.
    Quote Originally Posted by stevef22
    you guys are crackheads.
    I remain,
    Peter aka Dusty Chalk

Thanks again for the advice! I did end up purchasing the Krell KAV-400xi. I auditioned her against a Rotel RA-1062, and the difference was night and day.

Also ended up selecting new speakers, Fidelity Acoustics RFM-2. Fidelity Acoustics are manufactured locally here in Vancouver. I've previously auditioned these with a Naim stack and came away very impressed.

Crackhead Extraordinaire Dusty Chalk's Avatar
    Glad you could audition them first -- as long as you like them, that's all that's important.
    Eschew fascism.
    Truth Will Out.
    Quote Originally Posted by stevef22
    you guys are crackheads.
    I remain,
    Peter aka Dusty Chalk

Suspended
    Krell makes incredible integrated amps as well as separates. The integrated amps have true Class A preamp sections and balanced circuitry. It is true that Krell is more difficult to get system synergy when mixing with certain other brands but when you have it, you will be thrilled.

Elapsed, you most certainly should buy quality cables to use with the Krell. It is detailed enough that quality cables are a real benefit to your system. At a minimum give a try to at least entry Transparent, Siltech, Audioquest, Cardas or other quality higher end brand. Also, at some point you should try a Krell CD player. The ultimate synergy is with other Krell. www.spearitsound.com has a used 280cd for $1,699.00 U.S dollars. I also have one for sell that I was actually asking more for with all original stuff and in perfect condition. I'm not sure what condition theirs is in but I need to check, they're at a good price.

I still have my 500i for sale if anyone is looking to Krell.

Here is the system full I'm auditionning on Wednesday:

Speakers: Fidelity Acoustics RFM-2
    Amp: Krell KAV-400xi
    Source: Denon DVD-2930CI
    Interconnects: QED Qunex 1 interconnects
    Cabling: QED speaker cabling

I hope this amp has a good synergy with the speakers. The speaker designer himself has invited me to his condo to audition the speakers with my new amp, so I'm really eager to hear the results.

I previously auditionned the Fidelity Acoustics with a Naim stack (CDX2, NAC 282 Preamp, NAP 250 Poweramp and a Hi-Cap power supply) and was absolutely blown away, I mean WOW. Unfortunately this is well over my budget. Will the Krell be able to hold its own against Naim separates (which are 3x the price)?

Suspended
    I don't know if the 400xi will have as much WOW factor as that Naim system but it will have the slam and a high percentage of the fidelity. I've heard Krell with many brands of speakers with good results. Krell doesn't have a problem making a speaker sound good. I've had more of a problem with sources. In your audition system, the Denon will be the weak link. After you listen to that set up, see if the guy will hook up the Naim CDP. Back when I had a Krell 300i, I was using a Arcam Alpha 9 which is a great CD player, the combo wasn't bad but when I hooked up a Krell CDP I knew instantly something clicked. The Arcam may have even had an edge in detail but the Krell cdp had weight and texture to the sound and the presentation was awesome. With the Krell components together instruments had a much more convincing realism. You may be able to get the same synergy with a brand that has similar sonic characteristics or design, like Naim or Levinson.

I ended up purchasing the following system, thanks everyone for the advice!

Speakers: Fidelity Acoustics RFM-2
    Integrated Amp: Krell KAV-400xi
    CD Player: Naim CD5i
    Interconnects: QED Qunex 1
    Cabling: QED Silver Anniversary XT

On to the next upgrade. I've spent a lot of time auditionning these speakers with Naim gear, and really enjoy the sound. Systems I'm considering are NAC122x/NAP150x or NAC202/NAP200. Of course price is a factor, I'm certainly open to suggestion before such a large investment into my system. What is the general consensus on Naim?

Suspended
    Nice. How does the 400xi sound in that set up? Can you tell you are missing anything from when you auditioned with he Naim? Naim is very good quality gear, but, so is Krell.

Thread Information