Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Crackhead Extraordinaire Dusty Chalk's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by PeruvianSkies
    You simply don't really read what other people say do you?
    No need to get snippy. I actually thought that your idea was a good one, it just seemed like that's what you were trying to convey, I'm glad you cleared that up.
    Eschew fascism.
    Truth Will Out.
    Quote Originally Posted by stevef22
    you guys are crackheads.
    I remain,
    Peter aka Dusty Chalk

I'm not saying anymore....if you go back and read all the things that I have wrote I think I have been as clear as I can.

Bottom line is that going with two amps in bridge mode could be an alternative to going with two monoblocks and spending quite a bit more. No, it won't be the same, but it also won't break the bank.

Quote Originally Posted by GMichael
    I have heard that you can get better results with 2-2 chanel amps by, by-amping instead of bridging.
    Can anyone confirm if this is a truth or not?
    WARNING! - The Surgeon General has determined that, time spent listening to music is not deducted from one's lifespan.

depends wether you need the power or not...
    bi-amping will be better when you don't need more power,
    bridging will have more effect when you do need more power, like here, you have a rotel rb1070, which delivers 130 watts/ch and 360 watts when bridged, if you have like 400 watt speakers, then bridging will have effect here...

but I hear sometimes bi-amping can be very difficult...

Keep them spinning,
    Bert.
    Life is music!

Mcintosh MA6400 Integrated
    Double Advent speakers
    Thiel CS2.3's
    *DIY Lenco L75 TT
    * SME 3012 S2
    * Rega RB-301
    *Denon DL-103 in midas body
    *Denon DL-304
    *Graham slee elevator EXP & revelation
    *Lehmann audio black cube SE
    Marantz CD5001 OSE
    MIT AVt 2 IC's
    Sonic link Black earth IC's
    Siltech MXT New york IC's
    Kimber 4VS speakercable
    Furutech powercord and plugs.

I'm a happy 20 year old...

Quote Originally Posted by GMichael
    Can anyone confirm if this is a truth or not?
    There is no hard rule, but I can think of two advantages to bi-amping as opposed to bridging.

1. Bridging halves the impedance "seen" by each amp. With low impedance speakers, that may make the amps unhappy.

2. For the most part, it is the bass that requires the most power. In a bi-amped situation, clipping the bottom does not affect the top.

rw

Forum Regular
    There is currently an ad on Audiogon for a pair of Odyssey Khartago mono's, For under 800 bucks. Quite a steal really. Check them out and I think you will agree. If I hadnt bought a pair new from Klaus a few months ago I would have already bought these.

Quote Originally Posted by E-Stat
    There is no hard rule, but I can think of two advantages to bi-amping as opposed to bridging.

1. Bridging halves the impedance "seen" by each amp. With low impedance speakers, that may make the amps unhappy.

2. For the most part, it is the bass that requires the most power. In a bi-amped situation, clipping the bottom does not affect the top.

rw
    Thanks to you and basite.
    Basicly, it depends.
    WARNING! - The Surgeon General has determined that, time spent listening to music is not deducted from one's lifespan.

AR Newbie Registered Member
    Greetings all...I was wondering if anyone had any feedback as to the build quality and sonic performance of the valve amplifiers that Parts Express is now carrying. There are two of them and here are the links to their specifications.

NUERA 3403PP-A STEREO TUBE INTEGRATED AMPLIFIER
    http://www.parts-express.com/pdf/306-100s.pdf

NUERA 3403SE-A STEREO CLASS A TUBE INTEGRATED AMPLIFIER
    http://www.parts-express.com/pdf/306-102s.pdf

I would be running these (two) in tandem biamplifying the mids and tweets on my JBL L7's, with a single Carver TFM-35 driving just the 12" woofers in each L7 cabinet (side firing) and a
    Dayton TITSK-15K 15" Titanic MKIII subwoofer Kit with Dayton HPSA1000-R subwoofer amp. to punch the really low end. I am considering running the entire set up through an Ashly or Behringer Active Crossover setup.

I am seeking input as to the subwoofer size....would a 12" have more musicality? I listen to mostly alternative indie punk music that has a very tight, snappy, punchy bass line...but is very melodic in the mid to upper end. Any ideas or suggestions from the collective minds here would be greatly appreciated....none of this is set in stone, so alternative or unconventional configurations/equipment substitutions are also welcome. I Like to Listen to it LOUD, so as to be able to immerse myself in the sound.....ahhhhhhh...nothing in the world like it!

Thank you my friends.....

MJ

Hi, welcome

Quote Originally Posted by mjohnsonishere
    Greetings all...I was wondering if anyone had any feedback as to the build quality and sonic performance of the valve amplifiers that Parts Express is now carrying. There are two of them and here are the links to their specifications.

NUERA 3403PP-A STEREO TUBE INTEGRATED AMPLIFIER
    http://www.parts-express.com/pdf/306-100s.pdf

NUERA 3403SE-A STEREO CLASS A TUBE INTEGRATED AMPLIFIER
    http://www.parts-express.com/pdf/306-102s.pdf

I would be running these (two) in tandem biamplifying the mids and tweets on my JBL L7's, with a single Carver TFM-35 driving just the 12" woofers in each L7 cabinet (side firing) and a
    Dayton TITSK-15K 15" Titanic MKIII subwoofer Kit with Dayton HPSA1000-R subwoofer amp. to punch the really low end. I am considering running the entire set up through an Ashly or Behringer Active Crossover setup.

Thank you my friends.....

MJ
    Welcome to AR.

Since you like to listen quite loud, do you think you will have enough power with these Nuera models? I gather you would use the 7 watt/ch 3403SE-A for the tweeters and the 35 watt/ch NUERA 3403PP-A for the midranges. The L7's are pretty efficient at 91dB per watt at 1 meter, but if your listening room is large, power might be marginal at best.

What did Icarus get? Does anybody know?

If you haven't bought anything yet, you might consider the PS Audio Trio, which received a glowing review in the March TAS.

http://psaudio.com/products/trio_a100.asp

Apparently, Albert Von Schweikert borrowed a Trio for his CES demo room when his reference Jadis was delayed at customs. Driving a pair of VR5se ($25k) speakers, the boys at VSA were blown away! The sound was so astonishing, they had to put a sign above the miniscule Trio just so people would believe it was actually driving the speakers! Cool stuff.

BTW, Kexodusc wasn't crazy about the Outlaw mono's and found them pretty gritty IIRC.

I can believe it!!!

Quote Originally Posted by topspeed
    What did Icarus get? Does anybody know?

If you haven't bought anything yet, you might consider the PS Audio Trio, which received a glowing review in the March TAS.

http://psaudio.com/products/trio_a100.asp

Apparently, Albert Von Schweikert borrowed a Trio for his CES demo room when his reference Jadis was delayed at customs. Driving a pair of VR5se ($25k) speakers, the boys at VSA were blown away! The sound was so astonishing, they had to put a sign above the miniscule Trio just so people would believe it was actually driving the speakers! Cool stuff.

BTW, Kexodusc wasn't crazy about the Outlaw mono's and found them pretty gritty IIRC.

I've always loved the PS AUDIO stuff and you usually don't see them getting much recognition outside of their 'power' stuff, but their amps are very good and insanely priced!!!!

Ever since I bought a PS Audio 4.6 preamp back in the '80's, I've been a huge fan of Paul McGowan's stuff. I'm still kicking myself for selling that thing! A bit of visionary and tweaker, he saw the benefit of huge outboard power supplies waaaay before anyone else. I think that was what led to his foray into power conditioners. Thankfully, he still designs killer amps, pre's, and just introduced a new DAC.

I haven't had much occasion to refer PSA lately as, quite frankly, I wasn't as happy with the GCA series of amps as I was with the HCA's. I like tubes, ARC in particular, and whereas the HCA's had a warm, musical sound (quite ARC-like but without fussy tubes), the succeeding GCA's were a bit sterile for my taste. Paul strove for absolute transparency, which is what he got. However, so many customers had grown to love the voicing of the HCA's, he decided to add a bit of warmth back to the design of the Trio.

I learned my lesson, tho. The HCA will never be sold.

nightflier

Another Plug for Odyssey

Quote Originally Posted by topspeed
    I learned my lesson, tho. The HCA will never be sold.
    That said, the HCA cannot be bridged. I would go with the other poster who suggested Odyssey Audio's Kartago amps. Considering how much of a perfectionist Klaus is, these amps can't possible be that bad.

I own a pair of Odyssey Nightingale speakers and while these are not amps, I can vouch for Odyssey's top-notch support, quality, solid-build, and sound. It is definitely worth checking out.

If buying used is still an option on the table, you might want to consider a PS Audio Monoblock amps. Most of these models are now old & discontinued, but that means that they will be available for a whole lot less than retail. I own a pair of Delta 250/400 monoblocks and I have to say that there is little in these bad boys to complain about. And they can be had online for a pittance.

Anyhow, that just MHO....

Forum Regular
    You could get the Rotel 1050 or 1070 and bridge them or use it till you have the money to get a nice set of Monos. No reason you can't get a second hand set of monos that are decent. As to bridging the 1070, I thought of this at first but the power output bridged at 4 ohms is 330 W rated. Frankly, I don't have small speakers and it would blow the roof off the house and I have 2 monos sitting in the closet that are rated about 300 into 4 ohm. In addition, you don't want to spend $1400 on a pair of bridged monos IMHO. I'd try to go 2nd hand with that budget. Just a thought.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread Information