Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Adcom

Sorry E-Stat, I recently updated my MC processor and I should have updated everything else. I keep gear such a long time I forget things like that.
    I think it sounds much richer. More "tubey". It now reminds me of the SP-3 I used to have.
    Yes he was convicted. The best part is that I shot him with his own gun after I removed it from his possession. It was a stolen weapon so that was added to the charges.
    ARC SP9 MKIII, VPI HW19, Rega RB300
    Marcof PPA1, Shure, Sumiko, Ortofon carts, Yamaha DVD-S1800
    Behringer UCA222, Emotiva XDA-2, HiFimeDIY
    Accuphase T101, Teac V-7010, Nak ZX-7. LX-5, Behringer DSP1124P
    Front: Magnepan 1.7, DBX 223SX, 2 modified Dynaco MK3's, 2, 12" DIY TL subs (Pass El-Pipe-O) 2 bridged Crown XLS-402
    Rear/HT: Emotiva UMC200, Acoustat Model 1/SPW-1, Behringer CX2310, 2 Adcom GFA-545

Quote Originally Posted by JoeE SP9
    I keep gear such a long time I forget things like that.
    Me, too. I've owned two preamps since 1981 - an SP-6C and the SP-9.

I think it sounds much richer. More "tubey".
    Or simply, more natural.
    Yes he was convicted. The best part is that I shot him with his own gun after I removed it from his possession. It was a stolen weapon so that was added to the charges.
    He should have gotten ten years alone for committing a felony with a weapon, stolen or not. The sad fact is that of the tens of thousands of gun laws already in existence, few are regularly enforced.

rw

Forum Regular
    At this price point, won’t the c272 power amp from Nad outperform the adcoms ?

Department of Heuristics and Research on Material Applications
    Quote Originally Posted by hertz
    At this price point, won’t the c272 power amp from Nad outperform the adcoms ?
    The C272 I've played with was around $600-$700, and isn't bad at that price. I have gear from both companies now...different sound. I think Adcom builds a slightly better product, especially in recent years, but NAD isn't junk by any means. Adcom has a neutral sound (some interpret as bright, analytical or whatever), my NAD stuff all has warmer sound compared to my Adcom stuff that I find pleasing, but less real. I'm sure your other gear and personal preferences could sway you to either side. Point is their different and should be heard first. Not sure one could be said to outperform the other.

Quote Originally Posted by E-Stat
    Me, too. I've owned two preamps since 1981 - an SP-6C and the SP-9.
    How about this order: SP-3-A-MKII, SP-6C, SP9 MKIII
    Or simply, more natural.
    I would say more SP-3 like.
    He should have gotten ten years alone for committing a felony with a weapon, stolen or not. The sad fact is that of the tens of thousands of gun laws already in existence, few are regularly enforced.
    rw
    He was convicted for a good stay. I don't know for how long. Although I was a witness for the prosecution I didn't stick around and attend the sentencing hearing.
    ARC SP9 MKIII, VPI HW19, Rega RB300
    Marcof PPA1, Shure, Sumiko, Ortofon carts, Yamaha DVD-S1800
    Behringer UCA222, Emotiva XDA-2, HiFimeDIY
    Accuphase T101, Teac V-7010, Nak ZX-7. LX-5, Behringer DSP1124P
    Front: Magnepan 1.7, DBX 223SX, 2 modified Dynaco MK3's, 2, 12" DIY TL subs (Pass El-Pipe-O) 2 bridged Crown XLS-402
    Rear/HT: Emotiva UMC200, Acoustat Model 1/SPW-1, Behringer CX2310, 2 Adcom GFA-545

sylmar, ca. in beautiful so cal earthquake country

"That's exactly what I do! The ARC and modified Adcoms sound very good."

and just who was it that modded the adcom? it almost seems likely to stay with adcom or maybe a class d pair of CIAs. a friend has a pair of d200s and is continually being amazed.

he was at first demoralized by the rants in tas but his ears tell him that they are exceptional.
    ...regards...tr

Forum Regular
    This thread mentions using a tube pre to go with Adcom amps, specifically ARC products. I am using a 555II with a GTP 500II pre and since the FM went out on the pre I have been thinking of going with something different. Any suggestions besides ARC for tube pre-amps to go well with the 555II?

Thanks!

IMO, dont' bother

Quote Originally Posted by pkats
    This thread mentions using a tube pre to go with Adcom amps, specifically ARC products. I am using a 555II with a GTP 500II pre and since the FM went out on the pre I have been thinking of going with something different. Any suggestions besides ARC for tube pre-amps to go well with the 555II?

Thanks!
    As a former 555II owner, it remains my opinion -- despite some comments here -- that that amp doesn't need the smoothing, softening effect of tubes. I suggest you get yourself a later model GTP, new or used.

Forum Regular
    Thanks Feanor, haven't definitely decided on a tube pre, I need to upgrade my speakers first. Just kicking the idea around and looking for suggestions. One guy I talked to said they stopped selling Adcom products - especially their later model pres and HT stuff - because of too many problems showing up, repairs and such. On the other hand, I see the term "synergy" used quite often. I need to do more research and decide on some quality speakers. Other suggestions/comments appreciated.

sylmar, ca. in beautiful so cal earthquake country

feanor suggests:

"I suggest you get yourself a later model GTP, new or used." i do not. as the purchaser of a new gfp655, i expected to hear what was related in its review in Stereophile, that is much like an ARC preamp.

i was happy for a long while until one day i was in the right place at the right time. to shorten the story and not bore you with details, i came home with a SP3a1 that one time was tate of the art ('79) and was completely changed in my thinking in terms of tubes.

i expected the stereotypical soft top, round full lows, and liquid mids. the liquid mids were there alright BUT the top extended out to daylight, and the lows were TIGHT and deeper than i thought possible with tubes. the gfp never saw the light of day in my system again. it isnt worthy!

my advice is to look for an sp9, sp6c, or sp3a1. if phono isnt needed, then look at the tubed line stages from arc or cj. the regular cj preamps are also a consideration as would be VTL.

feanor is right about the 555 not being in need of smoothing. thats a false opinion that has been repeated by those who just havent heard adcom amps. i have heard the 555II in my system, and on my friends system-the 5400 and 5500 plus the 5802 driving martin logan reQuests via counterpoint preamplification.

you cant go wrong with the ARCs, youll get back what you paid if you dont like it, but i dont think you'll be wanting to let it go.
    ...regards...tr

How about this VTL?

Quote Originally Posted by hifitommy
    my advice is to look for an sp9, sp6c, or sp3a1. if phono isnt needed, then look at the tubed line stages from arc or cj. the regular cj preamps are also a consideration as would be VTL.
    Haven't been following their price, but this might be a good deal ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread Information