Page 11 of 44 FirstFirst ... 9 10 11 12 13 21 ... LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: New Finds

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Peabody
    I haven't read the MIT website but I have Transparent, Transparent was started by former MIT employees. The theory behind the network is to zero out the "antenna effect" of various lengths of cable. I'm not sure what is in the network. Thankfully when Transparent came out with the new line some years back the networks were quite a bit smaller.
    Very good, Thanx for the explanation Mr. P!

Chicago IL
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Peabody
    Dak, notice any difference when switching the cables around? The arrow goes toward the amp or receiver.
    I feel some difference. The sound is more full and clear. I use them from the cd player to the Marantz!

Chicago IL
    I know they are nothing special but they arrived today at the store so I decided to post them. Jensen model CS315. Huge 15" woofers. they sound ok and I guess for parties will be perfect. I will put them on craigslist to see how they will go!

Vinyl Fundamentalist Forums Moderator poppachubby's Avatar
    Just picked up these KEF C20's for $5.99!!! Gotta love it. They're in great shape, I would say 8/10. Drivers are immaculate. Made in England. Can;t wait to hook em up. Canuck Audio Mart has a pair for sale for $125.00.

They also have 2 Sony CDP's with my beloved TDA 1543. Talk about feast or famine...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails New Finds-dsc03368.jpg  

One more...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails New Finds-dsc03369.jpg  

Chicago IL
    You can't beat the price, it is like giving away. Yeah poppa those are very nice bookshelf speakers. I had similar one like those ( they were C series too ) and I really liked them but I ended up selling them because I had no use of them.

They look so nice that you don't even have to have the front grills/covers on.

They sound spectacular. My Missions have a hump in the low mid/upper bass that these do not. Clear and detailed, great stage.

I put the Gee in Gear.... thekid's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by poppachubby
    They sound spectacular. My Missions have a hump in the low mid/upper bass that these do not. Clear and detailed, great stage.
    Pops

Congrats!
    I think KEF makes a wonderful book shelf speaker and you got them at an ubelievable price. I suspect that someone at the store who had never heard of KEF thought they were some off brand and priced them accordingly.

Quote Originally Posted by thekid
    Pops

Congrats!
    I think KEF makes a wonderful book shelf speaker and you got them at an ubelievable price. I suspect that someone at the store who had never heard of KEF thought they were some off brand and priced them accordingly.
    That's exactly what I thought. Overall they have a gorgeous midrange, smooth highs but VERY weak bass. They may be H/T bound or perhaps a gift for a friend of mine.

That's exactly what I thought. Overall they have a gorgeous midrange, smooth highs but VERY weak bass. They may be H/T bound or perhaps a gift for a friend of mine.
    That was my impression of the bass as well but a littlle EQ can work to bring it back a little. Their approach to bass is typical of the few British speakers I have listened to I am assuming they are 4ohm like mine and so you need to make sure you amp that can push them a bit. I think they are good at low volume so I use mine for classical in the morning when I don't want to wake up the whole house.

That was my impression of the bass as well but a littlle EQ can work to bring it back a little. Their approach to bass is typical of the few British speakers I have listened to I am assuming they are 4ohm like mine and so you need to make sure you amp that can push them a bit. I think they are good at low volume so I use mine for classical in the morning when I don't want to wake up the whole house.
    No they're 8 ohm kid. And 90db sensitivity. It's odd, my Golden Tube actually drove the most bass out of them. Anyhow, my Missions are not bass-centric by any means but they do produce a nice natural presence in the low end. It really depends on the source material, if I put on a hip hop album, the 707's respond really well. Not even bass heavy music could save the KEF's.

Anyhow, at 5.99 who's complaining? They are really small with no reflex, so I wasn't expecting much. I'm ceratinly not hanging KEF out to dry based on an old, not-so-ideal bookshelf.

I think you have the right idea Scott. I could see putting them on a nice warm receiver for some morning FM, or a CDP inputted perhaps. BTW, whcih model do you have?

I ended up picking up another Sony. CDP-291 with a KSS 240A and TDA 1543. The CDP-390 I have is a real winner, I love it. I am hoping to find something with the TDA 1541A...

Sony CDP 291

I am too lazy to photograph my "new" Sony. Maybe tommorrow. I just want to say how great this "old, BPC" player sounds. The detail is absolutely superb. Certainly more than enough to push my Sound Dynamics' transparency to the limit. The highs are not rolled off, yet not bright. In fact they are quite penetrating and serve to effectively shine through in the most pleasing way.

Here's the thing. I will not be spending $1K on a CDP or any combo therein. So what's a guy to do? I have listened to many hi fi CDPs at the "entry level", frankly I find most to be great, but nothing overly impressive.

I would love to buy a used Rega or Marantz. The SA 8001, used, at around 500 is a great value.

Anyhow, I am fully aware that 90% of older players sound like chit for one reason or another. Perhaps ignorance is bliss, although I am not fully ignorant. I am however, blissful. Frank Black never sounded better...

[QUOTE=poppachubby]I think you have the right idea Scott. I could see putting them on a nice warm receiver for some morning FM, or a CDP inputted perhaps. BTW, whcih model do you have?/QUOTE]

Mine are a pair of C35's which utilized an early version of the "Uni-Q" driver. Which basically means that the tweeter is centererd over the woofer. I am not sure how this type of driver configuration would affect bass so I would think the bass in yours would be very close to mine.

Here is a link that describes the Uni-Q a little more but may also tell you a little something about yours.

http://www.kef.com/us/technology/uni-q
    Attached Images Attached Images  

[ ...
    Mine are a pair of C35's which utilized an early version of the "Uni-Q" driver. Which basically means that the tweeter is centererd over the woofer. I am not sure how this type of driver configuration would affect bass so I would think the bass in yours would be very close to mine.

Here is a link that describes the Uni-Q a little more but may also tell you a little something about yours.

http://www.kef.com/us/technology/uni-q
    Wow! Nice, Kid. Now that's a pair I'd like to hear. The concept of concentric drivers has a lot going for it.

The Bozak 919 is here!!

It will get it's own thread, but for now, here's a couple of quick pics...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails New Finds-dsc03370.jpg  

Back side
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails New Finds-dsc03371.jpg  

Chicago IL
    Looks in great condition, now tell us how it sounds

Quote Originally Posted by Feanor
    Wow! Nice, Kid. Now that's a pair I'd like to hear. The concept of concentric drivers has a lot going for it.
    Feanor

Come on down south to the Beach and you can hear them!
    I have them matched up with my Kenwood silverface KA-8100/KT-8300combo.
    As mentioned pretty much only listen to the local classical public radio station with them. Great for office or small bedroom set-up IMO.

The Bozak 919 is here!!

It will get it's own thread, but for now, here's a couple of quick pics...
    Me like!!!!!!!
    ARC SP9 MKIII, VPI HW19, Rega RB300
    Marcof PPA1, Shure, Sumiko, Ortofon carts, Yamaha DVD-S1800
    Behringer UCA222, Emotiva XDA-2, HiFimeDIY
    Accuphase T101, Teac V-7010, Nak ZX-7. LX-5, Behringer DSP1124P
    Front: Magnepan 1.7, DBX 223SX, 2 modified Dynaco MK3's, 2, 12" DIY TL subs (Pass El-Pipe-O) 2 bridged Crown XLS-402
    Rear/HT: Emotiva UMC200, Acoustat Model 1/SPW-1, Behringer CX2310, 2 Adcom GFA-545

Quote Originally Posted by JoeE SP9
    Me like!!!!!!!
    I knew you would. The only people who have heard of this unit, and the others by Bozak, seem to fully understand it's significance. For everyone else, it wasn't even a blip on the radar. I must say, it took alot of research to arrive at this unit, and finding out it's "worthy".

I am finished cleaning it. Just having a smoke break and I'll put it back together. Then the real fun...

Hey Joe, there's a rotary pot inside, on top of the chassis. It looks like it wires into the outputs to the power amp. Any idea what it would be for? Is it some kind of master pot for the volume? I can take a pic if you need...

Here's my thread...Bozak 919

I have one at AK too, but the majority over there are only interested in "working mans" vintage. This is far too boutique. Haha, ouch! Where did that come from?!?

Back side
    A pretty impressive looking hunk of metal, PC. Nice going.

A pretty impressive looking hunk of metal, PC. Nice going.
    Thanks Bill, I think this might be it. At least as far down the road as I can see right now. I think this calls for a victory cable buying. I'm off to Target to check out some Kimbers and generally argue with the owner regarding the Bozak.

Thanks Bill, I think this might be it. At least as far down the road as I can see right now. I think this calls for a victory cable buying. I'm off to Target to check out some Kimbers and generally argue with the owner regarding the Bozak.
    The Target Hifi guy is highly opinionated in my experince, (which might be less than yours). Have fun.

The Target Hifi guy is highly opinionated in my experince, (which might be less than yours). Have fun.
    Indeed, Bill is that. Alot of experience however. To be a seller you must convince your self of certain untruths, or have that used car salesman ability.

Suspended
    Wha? Poppa, I thought you spun your own cables.

Page 11 of 44 FirstFirst ... 9 10 11 12 13 21 ... LastLast

Thread Information