Going Nowhere too Fast Charlie04SiR's Avatar

Marantz HD770 & HD880

Whats the rave about Marantz's vintage HD770 & HD880 Speakers I keep hearing about? I just picked up a pair and I refoamed the woofers. They have really great imaging and acoustical balance, but the cheap plastic framed grills just don't do it for me. I do love the looks of the black baffle with the shiny aluminum frames. Anyone else here have these speakers?
    If everybody had everything they wanted, the world would be a pretty boring place :)

AR Newbie Registered Member

Post Marantz HD-770 & HD-880

I own a pair of vintage Marantz HD-770 speakers, a pair of Marantz Imperial 7 speakers, and a pair of SP-1200 speakers. Of the 3, the HD-770s are the best built, but the SP-1200s are the best sounding. The Imperial 7s are for sale along with a near mint Marantz 2240B Stereophonic Receiver. These components work very well together. Like the HD-770s, the Imperial 7s are constructed of genuine walnut veneer over fiberboard, but should not be used with any amplifier with a power output rating of more than 40 watts RMS per channel. 30 watts RMS per channel is optimum. The maximum power handling capacity for the Imperial 7s is 100 watts peak integrated program material. The HD-770s, on the other hand, can handle up to 200 watts peak integrated program material. This translates to about 80-100 watts RMS per channel for the maximum amplifier power. The SP-1200s are rated at up to 165 watts RMS, so I am guessing that would be about 300 watts peak. They are constructed of walnut-grain vinyl over MDF fiber board. I use the SP-1200s with my Marantz PM-7001 Stereo Integrated Amplifier.You may want to read my detailed review on the Marantz PM7001 on Audio Review's website.

Regards,

Wlmitch1

Forum Regular
    hi all.had a pair hd 880 hooked 2 a marantz 2330b,sound ok.switched over 2 b&w dm 610 8 in book shelf much better sound i dont think speakers where marantz's thing.the reciver is great!

From what I know some of those losely foame sounded great the only short fall is thay don't last. I think they sounded better to the newer rubber type.

AR Newbie Registered Member
    OK, I'm gonna give away my secret.... I never posted this before

You may be the first to learn this great idea of MINE.

Marantz HD-770s and HD880s have dual Tweeters, very nice and also a big fat wolfer. The reason they by-themselves sound just pretty good is nothing is driving those little tweeter beasts that are hidden under the chassis. OK so here is the deal you take a Marantz 2285, 2330 or bigger and the HD-770 or 880s and not bad ... but wait ... I'm not done ... sure there will be some dweeb that has a set of modern speakers (2-way) that will claim better sound ... here is the kicker ... YOu get a set of Bose 901s ... I much prefer Series 2 but ANY series 901s will do, You hook them up thru the TAPE monitor because the 901s MUSt be hooked up that way ... they come with a special box and MAX the treble on the bose box. OK So NOW you have 901s and HD-770s (or 880s even better) ... the kicker ... if YOU drive them BOTH thru the tape monitors you will have the MOST unbelievable SOUND you ever heard. The Bose box really brings out those Marant HD speakers that combined with the awesome midrange and loudness of the Bose and ... when cranked up through a marantz will just sound pure greatness. You will have OLD school that sounds better than 7.1 new school ... especiall for Rock and Roll or Classical Music. Like better than a concert.

This is the VANCE way ... if you decide to do this and can't believe how awesome it sounds ... remember to tell everyone that it is the VANCE method. I may not have invented Bose 901s but I found the way to make them really SHINE.

Please don't name some modern speakers or complain about BOSE, I have heard it before. Try my method on some rock or classical and prey tell you will see the LIGHT.

Sure is a lot of pronouncements for a first post.
    ARC SP9 MKIII, VPI HW19, Rega RB300
    Marcof PPA1, Shure, Sumiko, Ortofon carts, Yamaha DVD-S1800
    Behringer UCA222, Emotiva XDA-2, HiFimeDIY
    Accuphase T101, Teac V-7010, Nak ZX-7. LX-5, Behringer DSP1124P
    Front: Magnepan 1.7, DBX 223SX, 2 modified Dynaco MK3's, 2, 12" DIY TL subs (Pass El-Pipe-O) 2 bridged Crown XLS-402
    Rear/HT: Emotiva UMC200, Acoustat Model 1/SPW-1, Behringer CX2310, 2 Adcom GFA-545

Vinyl Fundamentalist Forums Moderator poppachubby's Avatar
    Hahahaha....so running Bose 901's will increase the sound of the Marantz speakers?!? I knew Bose was good, but not THAT good!!

I can't believe you let that secret out of the bag, now I will use it to make millions. Buy my video for 9.99, the secret of fidelity by poppachubby.

The Bose version cost's $99.99 has a cheap cover and the print is blurry.
    ARC SP9 MKIII, VPI HW19, Rega RB300
    Marcof PPA1, Shure, Sumiko, Ortofon carts, Yamaha DVD-S1800
    Behringer UCA222, Emotiva XDA-2, HiFimeDIY
    Accuphase T101, Teac V-7010, Nak ZX-7. LX-5, Behringer DSP1124P
    Front: Magnepan 1.7, DBX 223SX, 2 modified Dynaco MK3's, 2, 12" DIY TL subs (Pass El-Pipe-O) 2 bridged Crown XLS-402
    Rear/HT: Emotiva UMC200, Acoustat Model 1/SPW-1, Behringer CX2310, 2 Adcom GFA-545

Heheheheh! you guys are just too funny! lol! Sadly, I have since sold my HD880's. The gent I sold them to has them hooked to his beloved Quad 4430 receiver. He also bought a pair of my HD770's. I have only one pair of HD770's now, a pair of Euro Mirrored M10's, DS920's and SP1500's. The M10's are ultra rare birds, being only made for less than a year in 1980 before the untimely death of cheif loudspeaker designer Edmond May. They were the last line designed by him, which makes them extra special. Even more special is they are a mirrored pair, which were only offered thru Marantz Europe. The M10's were sold in US also, but were not mirrored.
    Last edited by Charlie04SiR; 09-01-2010 at 04:24 PM.
    If everybody had everything they wanted, the world would be a pretty boring place :)

Vinyl Fundamentalist Forums Moderator poppachubby's Avatar
    Those look mint Charlie. The mirrored aspect helps the look for sure, they are a busy 3 way. How do they sound?

Thanks, poppa

They sound absolutely beautiful. Clean, clear highs,.. Uncolored, smooth, razor sharp mids, and tight, quick bass that doesn't roll off at any Hz, right down to a rock solid 25 hz! I could sit and listen to these beauties all day long, day in & day out and never get fatigued.

Thread Information