I put the Gee in Gear.... thekid's Avatar

Kenwood TK-250 Amp

I recently scored a Kenwood TK-250U amp of off E-pay and am awaiting its arrival. I have not been able to find any info at all about this unit. I don't expect it to be a world beater but it seems like an interesting piece so I thought what the heck. Anyone here know it?

Seems to have a 1960's look, I suppose? Are you planning on playing this amp with any particular set of speakers? I can't find anything on it, either, but I suspect it's fairly limited on power...maybe 25 watts per channel?

Quote Originally Posted by 02audionoob
    Seems to have a 1960's look, I suppose? Are you planning on playing this amp with any particular set of speakers? I can't find anything on it, either, but I suspect it's fairly limited on power...maybe 25 watts per channel?
    It showed up today and is in really excellent shape! I will need to blow out some dust but other than that it looks like it is good to go. In size and weight it seems very much like my Sansui AU-505 so probably 25 wpc is about right.

Have not figured out where it is going but I figure it might be a better match with my Kenwood KT-7500. If I do that then it will probably be running with my Optimus 5's though it might be interesting to run it with the KLH-17's which are from the same era.

I will try to post pics if I can get a camera to work.

Pics

Here are some quick pics. Nice little amp so far. Seems to have been put up in a nice dry place. No scratchiness at all with any of the knobs. All metal knobs with ball bearings in the selector switches. Nice switches on the bottom for the filters and source all give a nice crisp click when used. I am going to run it awhile just to make sure everything is good and then I think it will get mated with the KT-7500.

A quick update.
    Set this up last night with the KT-7500 and the Optimus 5's. I am not knocking the Sansui AU-505 that I had previously hooked up for these components but the Kenwood is heads and tails better in this set-up. Really brings out deep bass which were there before with the speakers but it is much clearer-same can be said for the highs. Seems to have more power than the Sansui even though they are both supposed to be in the 25-30 wpc from what I can tell. I guess it is just another example of how different gear can produce different results even under similar circumstances.

I picked up an amp of similar vintage and design as this at a garage sale perhaps 15 years ago. I remember a nice bump in the bass response, lots of initially endearing hiss and not quite enough power. I used it for several years in various secondary systems.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevio
    I picked up an amp of similar vintage and design as this at a garage sale perhaps 15 years ago. I remember a nice bump in the bass response, lots of initially endearing hiss and not quite enough power. I used it for several years in various secondary systems.
    Well power has not been an issue. I have not even taken past the 2nd notch. I'd be afraid to take it past 4-5 or I'd blow out the speakers....

AR Newbie Registered Member
    Hi , Am new here and have just acquired one of these amps from the local kerbside cleanup insides look ok but not as good as the pics a few posts up by "thekid" it's all there bar the power lead (cut off by someone after copper cable for recycling) and that will not be hard to sort out . I like to use these old amps for sound output for my pc as it beats the el-cheapo pc speakers by a mile

Quote Originally Posted by grafton26
    Hi , Am new here and have just acquired one of these amps from the local kerbside cleanup insides look ok but not as good as the pics a few posts up by "thekid" it's all there bar the power lead (cut off by someone after copper cable for recycling) and that will not be hard to sort out . I like to use these old amps for sound output for my pc as it beats the el-cheapo pc speakers by a mile
    Nice pick-up.
    I have the original owners manual that might have some info if you need it.

Ohms on the Kenwood TK-250

Hi there, what ohm speakers does this Kenwood ask for? I have a chance to buy one in great shape for little money.I'd like to hook up some 4ohm speakers?Thanks for your advice.

Quote Originally Posted by Jacky Black
    Hi there, what ohm speakers does this Kenwood ask for? I have a chance to buy one in great shape for little money.I'd like to hook up some 4ohm speakers?Thanks for your advice.
    Welcome to AR!

Mine was (see post about scoring a Marantz 2245 and a pair of KLH 5's) a TK-250U I am not sure if yours is the same or if not what the difference might be. In any case per the owner's manual I have it says 60 wpc at 4 ohms and 50 wpc.

I have the owner's manual so if you want to sent me a PM with your address I will be happy to mail it you since I no longer need it.

Thanks for your reply.I won't be needing the manual,but thanks for the offer.
    Yes,mine is exactle the same as the one in the pictures, even in better,like new,state.
    All i need to know is if it's ok to hook up two 4 ohm speakers without blowing up the OT.
    I am kind of a nobrainer when it comes to these kind of things.This forum I came to while googling,there's not a lot of info on these amps.

Quote Originally Posted by Jacky Black
    Thanks for your reply.I won't be needing the manual,but thanks for the offer.
    Yes,mine is exactle the same as the one in the pictures, even in better,like new,state.
    All i need to know is if it's ok to hook up two 4 ohm speakers without blowing up the OT.
    I am kind of a nobrainer when it comes to these kind of things.This forum I came to while googling,there's not a lot of info on these amps.
    Yeah not much info out there on it. I hated to let it go but I could not turn down the opportunity to get the Marantz and the KLH's since I only paid like $25 for my TK-250 and it would cost me 10 times that to buy the Marantz and the KLH's separately. The pity of it is that I see the guy I traded it to has listed it on the local CL for about $125.

Some more specs from the manual in case you were interested;

Total Music Power
    60 watts @ 4 ohms
    50 watts @ 8 ohms

Continuous Power- 20 watts per channel w/ 0.8% THD
    IM Distortion- 0.5% (up to 25 watts/channel RMS
    Frequency Response- 20 Hz-50,000 Hz (+/- 1dB)
    Power Bandwidth- 18 Hz-60,000 Hz (-3bB)
    Low Filter- 80 Hz roll-off
    High Filter- 6,000 Hz roll-off
    Bass control +/- 11dB (at 50 Hz)
    Treble control +/- 11dB (at 10,000 Hz)
    Speaker Imedance- 4,8 or 16 ohms
    Power Consumption 90 W at full power
    Weight 13lbs

90% of those numbers don't mean a thing to me but maybe someone here can give some specifics on the what those specs mean. As you probably have already heard it is nice little piece and a definite throw back to another time.

Thread Information