Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: Just wondering....

Just wondering....

Has anyone been keeping up with the Zimmerman trial? And what are your thoughts?
    Music...let it into your soul and be moved....with Canton...Pure Music

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    W10 i5 Quad core processor 8GB RAM/Jriver 20/ Fidelizer Optimizer/ iFI Micro DSD DAC-iUSB 3.0/Vincent SA - T1/Vincent SP-331 MK /MMF-7.1/2M BLACK/MS Phenomena ll+/Canton Vento 830.2

Super Moderator Site Moderator JohnMichael's Avatar
    Guilty! George did everything wrong. If he had stayed in his car like the dispatcher suggested. Knock, knock
    JohnMichael
    Vinyl Rega Planar 2, Incognito rewire, Deepgroove subplatter, ceramic bearing, Michell Technoweight, Rega 24V motor, TTPSU, FunkFirm Achroplat platter, Michael Lim top and bottom braces, 2 Rega feet and one RDC cones. Grado Sonata, Moon 110 LP phono.
    Digital
    Sony SCD-XA5400ES SACD/cd SID mat, Marantz SA 8001
    Int. Amp Krell S-300i
    Speaker
    Monitor Audio RS6
    Cables
    AQ SPKR and AQ XLR and IC

At the very beginning the police handled it poorly.
    JohnMichael
    Vinyl Rega Planar 2, Incognito rewire, Deepgroove subplatter, ceramic bearing, Michell Technoweight, Rega 24V motor, TTPSU, FunkFirm Achroplat platter, Michael Lim top and bottom braces, 2 Rega feet and one RDC cones. Grado Sonata, Moon 110 LP phono.
    Digital
    Int. Amp Krell S-300i
    Speaker
    Monitor Audio RS6
    Cables

Suspended
    Yeah, kinda hard to shoot someone if your not packin and you stayed in your car.
    JohnMichael likes this.

Can a crooner get a gig? dean_martin's Avatar
    When I was home for lunch, CNN was going on about the weight Zimmerman had gained and it's impact on the jury. I didn't have much time to get fully up to speed so I could be wrong about the following:

Apparently the judge originally decided to keep out many of Zimmerman's earlier calls to 911 for other incidents (not related to Trayvon). But I think he has revisited that ruling.

Other tidbits:
    The prosecution's opening statement lasted about 30 mins. and defense's opening lasted 2 1/2 hours.
    When I was watching, the witness on the stand was on the phone with Trayvon when Zimmerman confronted him. That's the first time I had heard that Trayvon was on the phone with someone.

Well it seems like this case could be over already and its day 3. Zimmerman said Trvon banged his head on the concrete. Well where the body lay its to far from the concrete. One witness says she saw the scuffle but could not make out who was who because it was to dark outside. But she did say when they where on the ground, she saw the guy on top that was doing the punching get up and the other guy never moved after that. So during cross, they asked who was the biggest person, and she said Zimmerman. He said how do you know who was bigger it was dark? She said I saw the pictures the next day on tv thats how I know who was bigger. The defense then said so you saw it on tv and determined it was George who was bigger and Martin smaller? (he is trying to impeach her testimony)
    She said yes. The defense then showed her pictures of Martin and asked is this one of the pictures? She said yes. Then they said "do you know thats a piecture of Martin when he was 13? (trying to discredit her testimony) Defense said "thats all". Then the prosecutor got back up to rebut. He asked her "who got up...the person on the bottom or the person on top?" She then answered "The guy on top got up" Then the prosecutor said he was done. The reason why that is so important is because Zimmerman said he was on the bottom when he shot Martin. And had to turn him over to get him off of him. If that is so, why did the guy on top get up and walk away?

The next witness called was the girl talking to Martin right before he got shot. She was great...the defense tried to impeach her, but her testimony was powerful. As she was talking to Martin, he said some guy was following him....but the most inmportant part is she said Martin said "get off me! get off me! That shows that Zimmerman was the agressor and not Martin. The only hang up is the jury. Any thing can go wrong with a jury. Its clear in my book....Zimmerman is a murder. Oh and they have about 50 calls where Zimmerman has made those same exact calls to 911. They played 4 of them in court. It seems Zimmerman was on the hunt for black guys in his hood because they have had a rash of break ins over the years. So every black guys in his mind was in one group and all guilty....his words to the 911 guy on the phone was "they always get away" meaning those black guys who come into my hood. Zimmerman was a profiler.
    JohnMichael likes this.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    W10 i5 Quad core processor 8GB RAM/Jriver 20/ Fidelizer Optimizer/ iFI Micro DSD DAC-iUSB 3.0/Vincent SA - T1/Vincent SP-331 MK /MMF-7.1/2M BLACK/MS Phenomena ll+/Canton Vento 830.2

Judging by George's weight gain I would have to say he was robbing Mr. Martin for his skittles.
    JohnMichael
    Digital
    Int. Amp Krell S-300i
    Speaker
    Monitor Audio RS6
    Cables

I wish it was only skittles....But its to bad he really robbed the kid of his life...so sad.

Zimmerman might well get off and that might be the right verdict under the law -- too bad maybe but guilt has to be established beyond reasonable doubt.

How many here have been jury members in a criminal trial? I was, I know that a person might well be guilty but that if proof beyond reasonable doubt just isn't there, verdict must be "Not guilty".

Let's look at the bigger picture. What's a neighbourhood watch volunteer doing carrying a gun? (It wouldn't be permitted in Canada and if watch guy shot somebody he would be charged with murder ipso facto. But Zimmerman was allowed to have a gun: did having one embolden him? I dare say it did.

And then there's "Stand Your Ground Law" that permits deadly force without first attempting to evade a violent confrontation. If Zimmerman confronts Martin who then attacks him, who's to say Zimmerman didn't shoot in self-defence? Only physical evidence that proves beyond reasonable doubt that Zimmerman was not, in fact, dangerously threatened, otherwise he must be acquitted.

Incidentally racism might have been a factor with Zimmerman but it's unprovable and I don't see it would have much legal weight. Rather it's two bad laws: (1) the right to carry a loaded gun in public, and (2) stand-your-ground that are the essential causes of Martin's death.

Quote Originally Posted by frenchmon View Post
    I wish it was only skittles....But its to bad he really robbed the kid of his life...so sad.
    Please do not think that my commenting on his weight in any way lessons the tragedy of what happened. I was angered and still angry that someone who was supposed to keep the area safe was one of the bigger dangers. I am also upset that the police did not haul George in for interrogation. I will be even angrier if George is not found guilty.
    JohnMichael
    Digital
    Int. Amp Krell S-300i
    Speaker
    Monitor Audio RS6
    Cables

JM...no worries.

Feanor...have you been watching on TV?

No one, I mean no one thinks the key witness was lying after yeasterday. The defense is trying hard to impeach the testimony of these witnesses but there is just too much in favor of Trevon Martin...especially when Zimmerman has lied about being on the bottom, and what was really strong against Zimmerman was when the girl on the phone at the time he was murdered said she heard Martin say "get off" "get off". He also told the girl "some creepy white guy is following me..im going to try and lose him" Then after a while he said. "There he is again". The girl then said to Martin "Run!" Martin replied " I aint running no more...I'm all most at my dads house he can help me" After that the next thing she heard was when Martin said "get off!" get off!" she then heard a scuffle and the then the phone cut off. When Martin said "get off" establishes the fact of Zimmerman being the agressor.

Quote Originally Posted by Feanor View Post

And then there's "Stand Your Ground Law" that permits deadly force without first attempting to evade a violent confrontation.

Incidentally racism might have been a factor with Zimmerman but it's unprovable and I don't see it would have much legal weight.

I agree that concealed carry along with Stand Your Ground is a bad idea. I also think George Zimmerman has a history of prejudice based on his calls to dispatcher's. His comment that they always get away says vigilante to me. A combination of hate, a gun and a law that empowers people to become afraid to justify behaviors is a lethal combination. If he was afraid he could have stayed in his car and driven away. To me his actions showed he was acting out of prejudice.
    JohnMichael
    Digital
    Int. Amp Krell S-300i
    Speaker
    Monitor Audio RS6
    Cables

Suspended
    You know what is more interesting? all the photos of GZ directly after the incident showed no signs of a broken nose or cuts to the back of his head, which would surely have left blood on his clothing as head wound bleed good. Then the next day he is wearing large band aids on his head.

If the back of his head had been smashed into the pavement as claimed, there would have been cuts and blood at the time of the incident. Seems to me as soon as he contacted his lawyer, they concocted the story and scuffed up his head a bit to try and back it up.

I thought that was fake when I first saw the coverage. What bothered me from the beginning is why it took so long for George to be questioned let alone be charged.
    JohnMichael
    Digital
    Int. Amp Krell S-300i
    Speaker
    Monitor Audio RS6
    Cables

Quote Originally Posted by JohnMichael View Post
    I agree that concealed carry along with Stand Your Ground is a bad idea. I also think George Zimmerman has a history of prejudice based on his calls to dispatcher's. His comment that they always get away says vigilante to me. A combination of hate, a gun and a law that empowers people to become afraid to justify behaviors is a lethal combination. If he was afraid he could have stayed in his car and driven away. To me his actions showed he was acting out of prejudice.
    It's also a fact that the race card has been played by Martin's family and the media. Very likely racism was a factor with Zimmerman, but my point is that bad gun & stand-your-ground laws would have made the scenario almost as likely if Zimmerman and Martin had both been black, both white, or both whatever.

Suspended
    Bottom line is that the dispatcher told him to stay in his car and leave the kid alone. End of story. Gun laws mean nothing here. Failure to follow simple instructions was the main problem.

Stand your ground does not mean carry when you're not supposed to be, confronting someone when you're told not to, and then shooting that person sounds way far from standing your own ground. I am thinking it is supposed to mean that if someone breaks into your home, you can shoot first and ask questions later, not attack and shoot and then claim otherwise.

Quote Originally Posted by Hyfi View Post
    Bottom line is that the dispatcher told him to stay in his car and leave the kid alone. End of story. Gun laws mean nothing here. Failure to follow simple instructions was the main problem.

Stand your ground does not mean carry when you're not supposed to be, confronting someone when you're told not to, and then shooting that person sounds way far from standing your own ground. I am thinking it is supposed to mean that if someone breaks into your home, you can shoot first and ask questions later, not attack and shoot and then claim otherwise.
    It remains to be seen whether Stand-you-ground will be invoked in this case. Of course Zimmerman ought to have followed police instructions. I suggest because he was carrying a gun he was emboldened to confront Martin instead of following instructions.

This is the significance of too many people with guns: that it provokes rash behavior leading to death 'way too often.

The media has Zimmerman tried, convicted and executed already. They love to take these stories and race-bait the self-loathing liberal masses into a frenzy. Look at those Duke University LaCrosse players a few years ago.

And, while we're at it, hoccum there's no mention of this little incident by the mass media? It sure looks like a much more heinous crime to me. Perhaps the baby that was shot in the face was the wrong color? More interestingly, it seems that according to this later article that helping the perps conceal their crime is a real family affair.
    Last edited by markw; 06-27-2013 at 10:13 AM.

Suspended
    Sorry, it's not "too many people with guns" it is more like 'too many idiots with guns' giving a bad name to the majority of gun owners that are not idiots. I have 6 handguns and a Permit to Carry. I have carried maybe 10 times in 15 years. I do however keep them loaded and hidden around the house in various hidden places and I will stand my ground if needed. But, I don't go looking for trouble as GZ did feeling like a tough guy with a gun.

GZs job as a Neighborhood Watch participant ended with his call to the police. Period!

The reference to all his other calls and statements like "They always get away" shows this to be more racially motivated than not. I would bet if it was a chubby white boy with his pants falling down, his actions would have been different. But it was a black kid in a hoody, which in his views meant criminal.

Quote Originally Posted by Hyfi View Post
    Sorry, it's not "too many people with guns" it is more like 'too many idiots with guns' giving a bad name to the majority of gun owners that are not idiots. I have 6 handguns and a Permit to Carry. I have carried maybe 10 times in 15 years. I do however keep them loaded and hidden around the house in various hidden places and I will stand my ground if needed. But, I don't go looking for trouble as GZ did feeling like a tough guy with a gun.
    So I guess we'll have to disagree to some extent. I own three handguns myself because I used to target shoot at a range. I'm confident I could use such weapons responsibly at all times but I'm not so sure about other people; you can't just dismiss Zimmerman as an aberration of human behaviour.

Incidentally my guns are virtually useless for self-defence since the Canadian requirements for storage, especially of handguns, renders them practically inaccessible in an an emergency such as home invasion. And it's noteworthy that self-defence against hypothetical intruders is NOT a valid justification for a gun permit. Up here we not only have a background check but a 5 year renewable permit to own any type of gun. There are additional requirements in order to purchase any type of gun and yet more restrictions to own or purchase handguns. Having fewer guns and stricter handling restrictions in Canada means we have fewer than 1/4 the total gun deaths and 1/7 the gun homicides per capital that you have in the USA -- it certainly isn't because Canadians are any less idiots than Americans. (See Wiki reference HERE.)

Quote Originally Posted by markw View Post
    The media has Zimmerman tried, convicted and executed already. They love to take these stories and race-bait the self-loathing liberal masses into a frenzy.
    Uhhh, hold on there pardner. FOX just said that the only evidence of racism is Martin's use of the word "cracker". I'm not sure if they're referring to a saltine, Ritz, oyster or one of those fancy party crackers.

As a self liking liberal I am able to see when race or any reason to hate is part of the situation. GZ could not help himself and had to get out of his car and elevate the situation. He had to have the upper hand.

I have been the victim of extreme hate so I can recognize it. I believe that is what drove George Zimmerman.
    JohnMichael
    Digital
    Int. Amp Krell S-300i
    Speaker
    Monitor Audio RS6
    Cables

Quote Originally Posted by JohnMichael View Post
    As a self liking liberal I am able to see when race or any reason to hate is part of the situation. GZ could not help himself and had to get out of his car and elevate the situation. He had to have the upper hand.

I have been the victim of extreme hate so I can recognize it. I believe that is what drove George Zimmerman.
    Sorry, John, you weren't there, and neither was I. We're both at the mercy of what MSM chooses to feed us, and that was the crux of my post.

But, sometimes when things don't look "right", some investigation is called for. It was mentioned that there have been "happeniongs" in that neighborhood in the past and he was just checking the situation out. Perhaps Mr. Zimmernman's curiosity could have prevented this recent occurance in an upper-class, liberal, lily-white, neighborhood. Sumptin' tells me that applications for gun permits are gonna soar in that neighborhood.

No offense, but you live in a place where problems are relatively few. If you want an education of what goes on around here on a daily basis, periodicaly check out NJ.COM to see what goes on around here on a daily basis. We're not in Kansas anymore, Toto.

Quote Originally Posted by markw View Post
    Sorry, John, you weren't there, and neither was I. We're both at the mercy of what MSM chooses to feed us, and that was the crux of my post.
    Your "crux" is wrong. We can watch the trial live and re-plays at night. Stop rolling out that tired old BS about the msm. I'll give you this much, however, PRE-TRIAL publicity can be less than thorough, not necessarily because the media is filtering in favor of one side or the other but because the actual parties are releasing their most favorable spin.

This is getting interesting. Those pictures of Zimmerman with his nose all busted up and bloody was right after the gun shoot. At least that's what the girl who called that popular 911 shot with the scream in the back ground said. But Martin did not have a scratch on his hands or blood any where on his body...all but a little on his shirt. Something aint right. If you punch someones nose bloody and break it and its bleeding all over, you have to have a least a little trace of blood on you but Martin had none. George also said in an earlier recording that he did not know who scream that was, but now its suppose to be his screams for help. I assume that will come out after all the witnesses have testified.

Also...the 19 year old girl was not as intelligent as she should have been. She was confusing at times and the defense took advantage of her in a bad way, but she was very believable in her testimony. She could not read cursive writing and will finish high school a year later...but that's ok...she is going to the 12th grade. She is of Dominican and Hattie heritage, and speaks very softly...that may be why her English is a little broken making it hard to understand. Even tho the defense twisted her into a pretzel, she is very credible...at least in my opinion.

After hearing the other 4, 911 calls by GZ, I am convinced he was profiling black guys. He put all black guys who came in his hood in one group and as no good. If I walked in that hood to go visit JM who also lived there, and GZ saw me, he would assume I was there to rob the place, he would then call 911 and then follow me.....and to be clear....GZ had 50 such calls.

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information