Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Peabody
    Adam, it's in 4th quarter 2010 where they hire that Kristian guy who nearly breaks them. Hopefully the company caught it in time to recover. I like Zu's attitude and more so the fact their products back it up. I wonder how many companies have fallen due to weasels like that guy.
    Oh.. I missed the scroll buttons at the top. Was wondering why it was so short.

I guess I might have met that guy at one of the shows - a google image search of him doesn't show much of his face. i think the linked in profile image is wrong.

Forum Regular
    Too bad so many have to suffer from the actions of one guy. I know of another company that was brought down from the actions of one guy and it sucks, as they had the best bang for your buck equipment and had a huge following. The effect was so strong that I know of one company, that was associated with this now out of business company at one time or another, that is suffering and my need to change their label as a result or pull out of the US for a while.

I hope Zu can recover from this and do well.

Very Sad!

Forum Regular Jack in Wilmington's Avatar
    I just read a very good review on the Zu Essence in TAS and they don't mention any trouble at the company. Hope everything is getting back on track.
    2 Channel System
    Dynaudio Contour 1.8 Mk II
    Pass Labs X150.5 (Amp)
    Cary SLP-03 (Preamp)
    Music Hall MMF 5.1 (TT)
    Goldring 1012GX (Cart.)
    Pro-ject SE II (Phono Box)
    Rotel RCD-1072 (CD Player)
    Bryston BDA-1 ( DAC )
    Sennheiser HD-600 (Headphones)
    Musical Fidelity Xcan V3 (Headphone Amp) _

HT System
    Usher X-719 (Mains)
    Usher X-616 (Center)
    Usher S-520 (Surrounds)
    Rel T2 (Subwoofer)
    Anthem MCA20 (Amp)
    Yamaha RX-A830 (Receiver)
    Panasonic TH-46PZ85U (Plasma TV)
    Denon DBT-1713UD (BluRay/SACD)

Well I'm a newb here and this is my first post. I've been following this thread as I have an interest in Zu speakers (although I own a pair of Klipsch Icons).

Intersting fix that Zu managed to get themselves into. I have no doubt that they will overcome these difficulties, a good product base will pull them out of it.

So, Adam, how have the Omen Def's been coming along? Approximately how many hours do you have on them and what is your opinion at present. I am keenly interested as I will be upgrading over my present set of Klipsch's. I had originally been looking at the Essence, but why settle for a single 10" driver when you can have two!

I'll admit that I'm also looking into the Von Schweikert VR-33's. A couple bucks more, but I've heard nothing but excellent opinions on them. Any ideas guys/gals?

Suspended
    I have and had some Klipsch models, my former speakers were Dynaudio Contour series, so the OD's had big shoes to fill, I find the OD an excellent sounding speaker. I was first interested in the Essence as well but when Zu learned I like a wide variety of music steered me toward the Soul Superfly. My amps need a 4 to 8 ohm load though so the OD was pretty much my only option. Although that was the situation I am pleased with the performance of the Omen Def very much. The OD have much more refinement and detail over Klipsch while remaining dynamic and low distortion. In fact, I'm not sure if I've heard another speaker hold it together like the OD when driven at high volume. The OD also provide overall great sound which satisfies my standard I have come to expect from my Dynaudio. I've played a variety of music through the OD from Opeth and AC/DC to Enya, a variety of Jazz and a bit of Classical, I found it all to sound great and keep me captivated. Zu offers a 60 day audition with return, you really owe it to yourself to try them. They do require many hours of break in. I played mine 24/7 letting a tuner play with intervals of my listening to other sources to see if they've improved.

I as well think the OD are a very good speaker.

As Mr. P said, they do a lot of things right. Here is where I would point out some of the things they aren't doing for me, or just the sound compared to other speakers.

They sound slightly more metallic than woody when playing strings. This is kind of hard to notice, and the metallic after taste can be highly altered based on the amplifier. With the Melody AN211 that metallic flavor is still there, but it is over shadowed by a more wet sensation.

Slight backing gear alterations can change the sound wildly. It is very easy for me to go from love to hate with a simple interconnect change.

Drums sound fantastic on these. I think in effect they are basically big drums. Ports at the bottom and not a very tight box. I'm sure at high volumes there is resonance from the cabinet but it doesn't sound off in any way. In fact it might help to add some wood to the sound. But seriously - drum solos - both from a classic rock style drummer to poly rhythmic hand drums - seriously amazing at high volumes.

Staging has been a bit of an issue for me. I think it is because in all honesty my room is too small for these speakers. I had issues with holes just on the inside of the speakers. Center is very clean, but left/right panned instruments sound packed up. I've got the OD pretty much pointed at my noise at this point and it has helped fill those gaps but still some times instruments sound packed on each other. Left/right/center. On a good and well staged recording it does pan out

I'm going to try playing with no toe in after a bit. In fact today I've broken back out the Mytere ia11 and the Glow One to plug into the ODs again and mess around.

If there is one major issue I have, they reveal the noise floor of my turntable too easily. So when I crank up the analog I get the floor as well. This isn't an issue so much with the speakers, but it makes me want to get a better phono amp. And that is a grand or so I don't have at the moment.

Also with the OD I generally feel I'm a couple rows back from the action. This can be interesting but at certain volumes can feel disengaging. At high volumes, it might be good since I can play the music very loud for long periods of time. Granted they are being driven by an amplifier twice as expensive as they are, and very fully bodied and liquid sounding amplifier at that. So..... I like them and would recommend them. But they take some careful pairing.

Also I heard the Omens are a warmer speaker and slightly less revealing. I'd love to hear a warmer version of the OD and keep the extreme amount of detail they provide.

Suspended
    Adam, let me know how you like the OD firing straight. That's how I set mine up. I try not to sell the Zu too hard but they have given me a new found enthusiasm for listening. Also, the guys at Zu are very receptive to phone calls if you want to pick their brain for set up advice.

Quote Originally Posted by atomicAdam
    I as well think the OD are a very good speaker.

As Mr. P said, they do a lot of things right. Here is where I would point out some of the things they aren't doing for me, or just the sound compared to other speakers.

They sound slightly more metallic than woody when playing strings. This is kind of hard to notice, and the metallic after taste can be highly altered based on the amplifier. With the Melody AN211 that metallic flavor is still there, but it is over shadowed by a more wet sensation.

Slight backing gear alterations can change the sound wildly. It is very easy for me to go from love to hate with a simple interconnect change.

Drums sound fantastic on these. I think in effect they are basically big drums. Ports at the bottom and not a very tight box. I'm sure at high volumes there is resonance from the cabinet but it doesn't sound off in any way. In fact it might help to add some wood to the sound. But seriously - drum solos - both from a classic rock style drummer to poly rhythmic hand drums - seriously amazing at high volumes.

Staging has been a bit of an issue for me. I think it is because in all honesty my room is too small for these speakers. I had issues with holes just on the inside of the speakers. Center is very clean, but left/right panned instruments sound packed up. I've got the OD pretty much pointed at my noise at this point and it has helped fill those gaps but still some times instruments sound packed on each other. Left/right/center. On a good and well staged recording it does pan out

I'm going to try playing with no toe in after a bit. In fact today I've broken back out the Mytere ia11 and the Glow One to plug into the ODs again and mess around.

If there is one major issue I have, they reveal the noise floor of my turntable too easily. So when I crank up the analog I get the floor as well. This isn't an issue so much with the speakers, but it makes me want to get a better phono amp. And that is a grand or so I don't have at the moment.

Also with the OD I generally feel I'm a couple rows back from the action. This can be interesting but at certain volumes can feel disengaging. At high volumes, it might be good since I can play the music very loud for long periods of time. Granted they are being driven by an amplifier twice as expensive as they are, and very fully bodied and liquid sounding amplifier at that. So..... I like them and would recommend them. But they take some careful pairing.

Also I heard the Omens are a warmer speaker and slightly less revealing. I'd love to hear a warmer version of the OD and keep the extreme amount of detail they provide.

I appreciate the honesty of your observations. I too have a rather small listening room which can present some challenges. I've noticed that you've tried several tube amps with the OD's. Rather than swapping out amps repeatedly, have you considered merely rolling tube compliments? Changing brands of tubes is like getting a whole new amp. One of the things I really like about valve gear.
    Jet Silver And The Dolls Of Venus Span The Space Between Us With A Tune...

Forum Regular
    My Omen Definitions sound best with a bit of toe in. I think factors such as room size, speaker placement, related gear, listening distance and location, etc. interplay with how speakers, including those from Zu, should be set up. To each their own, let your ears tell you what works for you. Happy listening.

Hi All -

A little update - well - i'm moving and i'm going to have to send my Omen Defs back soon. I'm going to be very sad. That and the Melody AN211 - but I've had a fantastic month or so once I've got them dialed in.

I wanted to let you all know I just toed them in even more than I had before - now I think the tweeters are pointing at my nose. The sound is even better! I was having some issues with holes in the sound just on the insides of the speakers and that is no more. The stage is now complete, the show is beginning, and it is just about time for me to leave. I'm going to miss this combo.

Suspended
    Adam, I thought you recently just moved into that place. The set up you describe with the Zu is what they recommended I try. I am going to try pointing them in, I hesitate because they are not light and I'm using the spikes. I also want to find something to help me get the speakers setting at the exact same angle or at least as close as possible.

Forum Regular
    I also want to find something to help me get the speakers setting at the exact same angle or at least as close as possible.
    The walls in my music room run true. So, to get the same toe-in angle for each speaker, I measured the distance at the very bottom of the first speaker, for each of the speakers two rear corners to the rear wall. I then transferred / mirrored those two distances to the 2nd speaker. Thus, each speaker will be the same distance from the rear wall / at the same angle. (This made for some fun observations from my wife until I explained to her what I was doing and and why.)

Suspended
    Quote Originally Posted by No Cacophony Needed
    The walls in my music room run true. So, to get the same toe-in angle for each speaker, I measured the distance at the very bottom of the first speaker, for each of the speakers two rear corners to the rear wall. I then transferred / mirrored those two distances to the 2nd speaker. Thus, each speaker will be the same distance from the rear wall / at the same angle. (This made for some fun observations from my wife until I explained to her what I was doing and and why.)
    LOL, thanks

Adam, I thought you recently just moved into that place. The set up you describe with the Zu is what they recommended I try. I am going to try pointing them in, I hesitate because they are not light and I'm using the spikes. I also want to find something to help me get the speakers setting at the exact same angle or at least as close as possible.
    Yep - I did - and yep I have to again - and nope I'm not thrilled.

I use the string method to get the speakers set up correctly.

Suspended
    Adam, did you ever fire the OD forward? Just curious on the comparison if you had.

Adam, did you ever fire the OD forward? Just curious on the comparison if you had.
    I did but that was when I first had them in and was having issues matching with amplifier. That is on my list of things to do this week though. Soon as I get over this f'ing strep throat - or wtf got inside my throat.

Well the Zu OD are packed up and ready to ship out. I've still got a plugged ear so I've not been able to listen to them facing straight on. Sad.... Sad I have to send them back too. But it has been a great adventure.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6

Thread Information