Forum Regular

Wiring speaker Impedance

I have a simple question. I have two 8 ohm speaker's, and one 8 ohm terminal I wish to connect them both too. I see that wiring both 8 ohm speakers in a series would give them a load of 16 ohms doubling them, and that running them in parallel would give them a 4 ohm loading decreasing them each by half. So I was wondering then if there is a way to wire just the two of them and keep their 8 ohm loads. Is this possible or is it either halving it or doubling it, no other way? I realize using a combination a running them in parallel and series with additional speakers could give me the load I want, but given just two 8 ohm speakers and one 8 ohm terminal, is this possible? Thanks. Sorry for any newby questions.

Forum Regular
    Sorry for the double post, but can someone tell me f this is possible?

Forum Regular
    hi without using 2 high power dummy loads,there is no way it can be doneis there any reason you can not paralel the loads and run @ 4 ohms ? impedance changes with frequency so there is no garentee it will drop low enough to worry most new or even old amps ,it will run slightly hotter but if you have sufficiant ventillation it should be fine, you do not state what amp is driving yhe speakers
    hope this helps some ...

Forum Regular
    sorry about the typos still learning to type

You've pretty good handle on the basic fundmamentals of impedances.

But, sometimes the answer that is, isn't the one you want to hear.

This is one of those times. ...sorry.

Forum Regular
    I could probably run the speakers at 4 ohms, but I'm worried it might break my amplifier eventually. See so here's the deal.

The Amplifier is a little older I believe, it is a Sony TA-AV571. It is a 5.1 amplifier. The two front channel's opperate at 100 watts each. The center at 100 watts as well, and the rear at 50 watts each. All channels output are recommended for an 8 ohm load. I have four 5 speakers, they have an rms wattage of around 100 watts or a little over. So what I have as a problem is I want to get more out of the two rear speakers, they only have 50 watts driving into each of them, I would like to use them to there potential and replace them with smaller rear speakers. So yea, if that all makes sense, I just need a way to either run them with the current from speakers at a correct ohm load, or another alternative I was trying to look into was find an amplifier or something so I could put in just a little more juice into them, maybe around 40 watts more or so, not any crazy amount.

I was also wondering, running a 4 ohm speaker off of a 8 ohm amplifier would most likely have it play louder than otherwise off of a proper 4 ohm amplifier, is that correct?

Thread Information