Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Forum Regular
    I like my new speakers (Apogee Scintilla's) because they tell the truth, te whole truth and nothing but the truth. And its a true fukkrange, since she plays flat to 20Hz. She is 1ohm impedance and drops to 0.88ohm sometimes, which seperates the man from the boys when it comes to electronics.
    Maggie 3.6R to be replaced with new Apogee Scintillas 1ohm !! :-) 20Hz flat to Ultrasonic at 110db at 4m
    System1: Magnepan MG3.6R/SE,Jolida JD3000b, Krell KSA-150, Audio Analouge Paganini MKII, Audioquest Slate and NRG-2
    System2:
    VMPS RM30M, Rega Planet 2000MKII, Pathos Acoustics Classic One, Rega Planar 2 with Super BIAS, Rega Phono Stage
    System3: Magnepan MG.5QR/SE, Cambridge Audio C500/P500, Philips CD985 connected to Leasegang projector
    Contact me...f.wiegand@t-online.de

AR Newbie Registered Member

just getting started

well I gt the phase tech v-12 to replace factory onkyo 1ns...woot woot .
    gt the onkyo ht-R520 reciver in A theater in a box deal was best I could talk wife into
    lol will B getting V-6 center & V-10 rears. then dont know elite reviver or cambridge audio.
    but thats in the futer just talked wife into 110FD plasma...woot woot .so slowly but surely

Mad Dog

My speakers do what Florian described but on a smaller scale and are powered the way Abstentia's are. They are Meridian M20's on 20" sand filled after market stands. The drivers, a 1" dome and two 5" mid/bass drivers in an MTM configuration, are electronically time aligned in the crossover for a seamless transition. I use my own product. My system be sounding very real and transcendent in my 15' X 12' X 8' listening room. I be estatic.

Oh yeah . . they produce very convincing images with the ability to appreciate the size and walls of the venue in which the recording took place and the location of the players relative to one another. Fooking organic is what.
    Last edited by jim goulding; 11-21-2007 at 08:51 PM.
    designer/manufacturer of custom made time and phase correcting real wool surrounds

Why do I like my speakers...

I use PSB Platinum T6's for my stereo system.

Several reasons:

1. the mid-range is superb and rarely heard on speakers in this price range ($4,000-$6000)

2. they disappear and enable me to just be with the music.

3. incredible imaging that you would swear there was a center speaker in between them.

4. awesome neutral sound that represents the music in a faithful, accurate, detailed manner.

5. they look the business.

6. high quality build and design by a speaker making genius: Paul Barton

7. highs, lows, and everything in between.

8. rival speakers that cost 3-4 times as much and in comparison won't break your wallet in order to deliver the goods.

I put the Gee in Gear.... thekid's Avatar
    This probably not exactly what the question asks but.....

I like my new thrift store find RTR's because they sound incredible. The other reason is (I know to many out there they may not be a top of the line pair) is they have truly opened my ears.

As regulars will know I have come on this site from time to time talking about my Sony floorstanders or my Bose set-up (201's) and have expressed the opinion that while recognizing they are not the best speakers out there they are pretty good for the buck (I still believe that to be basically true regarding those units for HT) I never could see the point in spending more dollars for equipment that for the $ only sounded nominally better. I guess in part because my listening experience has been pretty limited to what the big boxes have to offer and even listening to some units in a Magnolia store I would walk away unimpressed. The RTR's however have really changed my perception in that I could for the first time I could hear a distinct-clear audibile difference in quality over the Sony's and Bose. I knew there was better stuff out there and I trusted and value the opinions of the many here that gave me thoughtful and reasoned responses as to why my speakers were not the best I just had not heard it up till now.

It may be that my ears really like the qualities of the older equipment or something else but it has really taken my interest in this hobby up a notch. I don't have the money to spend 5K-10K for example, on a set of speakers but if I did and I found a set of speakers that do for me (from a music standpoint) what the RTR's have done I would buy them. Add to that my new hobby of looking for hidden treasures like the RTR's in thrift shops and it makes my wallet and my wife happy as well.

Forum Regular
    i just got my DCM KX212 and i love them because they shake everything without MUCH trebble loss...

holy thread revival!!

Why I like my Thiel CS2.3's...

fantastic sound, they dissapear, they're time coherent, absolutely no phase differencies, the transition from woofer to mid/tweeter is not noticable, they are extremely detailed, very big soundstage, holographic imaging, smooth sound, tight bass (which runs pretty deep, btw), lifelike sound...

and their looks of course, they look really classy, really high end, georgeous finish, well sized,...
    and I like the fact that they're an exellent match with the Mcintosh...

Keep them spinning,
    Bert.
    Life is music!

Mcintosh MA6400 Integrated
    Double Advent speakers
    Thiel CS2.3's
    *DIY Lenco L75 TT
    * SME 3012 S2
    * Rega RB-301
    *Denon DL-103 in midas body
    *Denon DL-304
    *Graham slee elevator EXP & revelation
    *Lehmann audio black cube SE
    Marantz CD5001 OSE
    MIT AVt 2 IC's
    Sonic link Black earth IC's
    Siltech MXT New york IC's
    Kimber 4VS speakercable
    Furutech powercord and plugs.

I'm a happy 20 year old...

Forum Regular Jack in Wilmington's Avatar
    I bought my current speakers in 2000 (Paradigm Monitor 9's)
    I was getting back into this hobby and was just discovering HT. Over the next couple of years I filled in my HT setup with other Paradigm speakers. As my addiction grew and I listened to more speakers, I realized that I needed a more musical speaker. In the spring I will be remeding that problem with the purchase of new speakers.

Still going strong

Quote Originally Posted by Feanor
    I have Magneplanar 1.6QR's. They are a dipolar, planar design. They have very good resolution and tonal balance, very good imaging, and can convey spatial information very well. In common with some other well-designed di- and bipolar speakers, they create a great sense of "air" and an expansive soundstage. For me, especially given I like accoustic music, particularly classical, they give a greater sense of the musicians being "there in the room" than any other type of speaker.
    No, I won't be upgrading any time soon (or, at my age, perhaps ever). Actually, I very recently upgraded from the smaller Magneplanar model, MMG. From here on the upgrades will be to my music collection and/or, maybe, other components such as my digital or analog sources.
    Hard to believe this was 2.5 years ago. I still love the MG 1.6QR's.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Why do you like your speakers?-magneplanar1.6qr_setup_side_.jpg  

Quote Originally Posted by Mad Dog II
    well I gt the phase tech v-12 to replace factory onkyo 1ns...woot woot .
    gt the onkyo ht-R520 reciver in A theater in a box deal was best I could talk wife into
    lol will B getting V-6 center & V-10 rears. then dont know elite reviver or cambridge audio.
    but thats in the futer just talked wife into 110FD plasma...woot woot .so slowly but surely

Mad Dog
    and 2 answer the quest ...lol I love the phasing of the V-12's & the mid & low reproduction is wonderful in 2days world of little speakers. & of corse the soft dome tweeter is very nice & crisp

Forum Regular

Speakers

I have a pair of 8'' two way klipsch synergy bookshelf speakers. The reason i went with them was price and i already had a klipsch S-3 center that i picked up on e-bay. I wanted the front 3 to match, I also picked up two pairs of klipsch SS-1 surround speakers for sides and backs so i would have the same brand all the way around, The klipsch speakers are great for movies because there so easy to drive and are loud, But for music [ IMO ] not very good, or at lest the ones i have are not.
    Last edited by s dog; 11-25-2007 at 07:57 PM.

seeking solace in music
    Many years ago when I was living in the UK I used to listen a lot to BBC Radio 4 in the afternoons. This is mainly a speech station. I chose the cylindrical JR149 bookshelf speakers on recommendation as they, like the Kef L3/5a, were commisioned by the BBC as monitor speakers fitted into their outside broadcast vans.

I turned into a bit of a collector of the JR149s, now having 4 pairs. They are terrific for small rooms. As I type this I am listening to Nina Simone playing live at The Village Gate; the voice and music reproduction are absolutely fantastic. There are no walls in the room now and Nina is only 3 meters away.

For my larger listening room I have a set of heavyweight Townshend Glastonburys, but thats another story based on Rockin'.

Slippers On

This might seem to deviate from the purpose of the topic, because honestly, I don't like my speakers, although at one point in time I did. At one time, I enjoyed the "big sound" that came from my speakers.
    All Cerwin Vegas, RE 30's, RE 16's for surround, the Center, and a downward firing 15" subwoofer. I used to enjoy aggravating the neighbors, and listening to deafening music with 100-150 close friends. During that time, here is what I learned to love about my speakers.

1) They do a great job at holding wax. Yep. If you burn candles on top of them, wax will collect quite nicely on top of them.

2) They are practically a direct hotline to the local police. Just turn knob to "11" (it's One higher) and wait.... the police will arrive.

3) The Subwoofer is a great end-table.... no coaster necessary.

4) They take some of my Rent deposit..... if connected to multiple power-sources, to allow the running of one CD through two systems, and paired with a friends similar set up (with 2 more RE 30's and another 15" sub) The bass will actually break the plate-glass window in the room. Who knew???

5) They're better than a home a gym.... if you want to get in shape, just move to new residences frequently, and don't forget to bring the speakers...... it's an instant work-out.

That's about it I guess.... Despite all of these redeeming qualities, I've purchased new speakers..... I know, I know.... why would I want nice sounding speakers when I could keep these multi-purpose gems.

B&W 686's and HTM7 purchased,
    B&W 705's in the works
    Subwoofer????? Don't know what one yet, for a small room is the ASW300 enough? should I look at Velodyne? others? sorry.... I digress.

Suspended
    I have two main systems. One I call my "Classic" system, the other more high-end. The Classic system has Klipsch Kg4 mains, RS-3 front and rear surrounds, either KLF-C7, or KV3 center depending on my mood, SW8 Sub for upper bass and ACI Saturn Sub for low bass. I really enjoy the overall balance of the Kg4s and the RS-3 provide a excellent ambience while still providing enough direct cues to provide good 3D surround effects. The subs provide a very good foundation.

My higher-end system includes Legacy Focus mains, Silver Screen center and T&A P-30 surrounds. With the Focus' 2-12" woofers/side there's no need for a sub. There's more than ample, well-defined, well-controlled bass with no boomieness from the bi-amped woofers. The Silver Screeen center is actually a duplicate of the upper portion of the Focus'. It never sounds compressed, no matter the level and provides very intelligible dialogue and presence. The P-30s are a three-way that compliment the system.

i heres my system setup before i had complaints of my neigbours so ive down graded wich i put a thread about them wich ive order some 21 sereis kenwood 5.1speakers with bulit in subs and ill probly get a 10inch tannoy sub to add to them but before i had that done i had a sony str db930 av amp the Denon DCD700AE cd player Samsung BD-P1000 blu ray player m&K V-1250THX subwoofer and cerwin vega CLS 12 front speakers i had this setup cus it was power the cerwin vega spekaers were crazy lound and i was was not even using a power amp
    I Perfer To Feel Bass On My Chest Then Not To Feel It At All

Cool hmmmm

It's been quite some time since I've been on this message board. And I'll tell you about what my favorite speakers are and why I like them. They are the earbuds that came with my iPod Nano. Before the flamers unleash their fury of fire upon me let me explain. My first hi-fi speakers were Paradigm Monitor 7's. Loved 'em for a couple hours then they became very fatiguing. Ear piercing treble and laid back midrange. It's the classic story of poor auditioning skills and impulse buying. Then I got a pair of Maggie MMG's and enjoyed the music more but still found some type of coloration which the best way I can explain was a lack of "coherence". I was on the highway to audio hell and all the exits to enjoyment were closed. I then got some Axiom M3ti's and I have to say for their money are one of the best buys of the century. Nice top to bottom balance yet not quite "clean" enough to enjoy long term. Prior to the Apple earbuds I purchased a pair of B&W 705's which currently are the center of my 2 channel system and as "good" as they are with their super clean transient speed, almost creamy midrange, and almost perfectly tight bass, I prefer the earbuds. Why? They sound so utterly whole and balanced to my ear. The best part is that I've ripped my entire cd library to AAC files encoded using Nero's free encoder along with EAC with an average of 160kbps for the entire library. Why is it that technically inferior sound quality, earbuds made of components costing less than ten bucks, is preferable to me? Hell if I know. I think too much detail is possibly distracting or maybe I've picked all the wrong speakers for my room or I'm possibly not a real audiophile. Hope your questions were all answered

Forum Regular
    Ohm services all speaker models that they have ever produced.
    That's a mild overstatement. If you have a set of Ohm Fs or As, the original drivers cannot be repaired by Ohm. What they will do is offer to "upgrade" you to a current model driver. (I owned a set of Fs back in the late 1970s and auditioned a set of Walsh 200s a few years back. While the 200s are nice they seemed to be missing the magic I remember.) The new series of Walsh drivers are not the same as the original. Unfortunately with foam surround deterioration and other issues, any F that is still working is probably close to the end of its life span.

Back to the original question, however, I have a pair of Spendor S8e speakers. They don't hit you over the head with the spectacular, forward sound that seems to be in fashion these days, but I sure enjoy listening to music on them.

Why i like my speakers..... mmh..... its because they dont sound High End. Just pure fun :-) Plus it keeps me occupied. ^^
    Lots of music but not enough time for it all

Cool

I BOUGHT a pair of bose 501-s4's in the mid eighties and got stuck with them.
    Never could get them to sound right and couldnt afford others until I could get rid of these, which I couldnt.
    Had just about lost interest in being "serious" about sound, my sony HT with some generic sats was fine, was going through some rough times and this was enough.
    And them I went to listen to some B&W speakers a local furniture store was selling.
    The guy had a family business but ran an audio shop outta the second floor.
    I listened to some B&W 601's for a few hours, hooked up to an Adcom intergrated,
    and he told me about meeting BB King when he signed him for a local music festival.
    I had forgotten how good music could sound. Since then I demoed a ton of speakers,
    but a pair of 602s2's that I currently have are really the king as far as I am concerned.
    The best audio bargain on the planet (or were).
    And thats why I "love " my speakers, they reignited a love of music that I thought had died.
    Not HT, not surround, just simple two channel audio playing the sounds of life,
    accurately and fully.
    And thats why I hate Bose with a passion, people dont understand that time wasted listening to crap gear is time you dont get back
    And thats why I audition speakers for at least two hours, no more mistakes like the bose,
    and sometimes two hours arent enough
    LG 42", integra 6.9, B&W 602s2, CC6 center, dm305rears, b&w
    sub asw2500
    Panny DVDA player
    sharp Aquos BLU player
    pronto remote, technics antique direct drive TT
    Samsung SACD/DVDA player
    emotiva upa-2 two channel amp

Forum Regular
    In the "big" system in the living room, we have a pair of Polk Rti4's with custom subwoofers. I got the Polk's for $200, and I really like how they sound, very balanced and good bass for the size. The midrange is clearer than my old Boston Acoustics. I am using the cabinents from the Bostons for the subwoofers. This setup is good for TV, movies, DVD concerts, and CDs.

In the bedroom I mostly do near-field listening. My speakers are JBL Control 1 mini monitors. I only paid $75 for them, and I love 'em. I can hear all of the instruments clearly, and the sound is quite pleasing. I do not have the money or space to go for "transparent." Peace.
    Mark Wellman
    "Let he who is without sin cast the first stone."

It was about 25 years ago as a young fella that I had occasion to hear 2 speakers that made my jaw hit the floor, and essentially started me on the road to this audio insanity.

The first was at the house of a friend I had just met. He was a lawyer and had a really nice pad in the Santa Monica Canyon area. I remember sitting on the couch, then music. It was jazz. I thought the players were in the room. The sound seemed so effortless, and for the life of me I could not tell where there were any speakers. Then he pointed to what looked like a large three panel (I think) fold out screen. These were Magnepans.

The second epiphany happened when I wandered into Rogers Sound Lab in Santa Monica California. I walked into the listening room and was blown away by what I heard. The speakers making this wonderful cacophony of realistic sound were absolutely beautiful looking and lust set in. They were the KEF 107s. I was poor at the time but the dream remained. That dream came true a few years ago when I picked up an immaculate pair. I now own several different KEF speakers including several other brands. The 107, in my opinion is still way above average. For Jazz and Classical, where timbre, tone, harmonics and organicness are critical, it is still one of the best.

Johnny P, Hilarious!!!

Feanor, system looks very nice. Looks like your using Nordost Flatline cables. Great cables for the price.

Lord Magnepan, you have a nice setup. The Scintilla's are Ken Kessler's favourite speaker. They are a b___ch to drive though

Florian, do you still have the Apogee Grands?

to update, I now have the 705's with B&W stands in my possession......... oh great days these are!

Quote Originally Posted by mr. budget
    Like what speakers do you have, why did you choose that particular speaker or set (incl swfrs). What need did you have that they filled? Like what was right for you about your speakers that made them right for you. Also are you upgrading?
    i have deftech BP2002TL's for mains

they filled my need for a big speaker with big room filling sound and lots of bass.

i bought them after doing a fair amount of listening to polk, energy and even b&w and i was just unimpressed for what i was getting "presence" wise for the money i was looking at spending. then i saw a these and figured why not try them out, threw on BLS - Hangover music and the sales man cranked them using some nice NAD equip and they blew away the whole store, filled it with sound and the bass was incredible for such a huge high ceilinged room. i was blown away, whereas listening to others i was merely impressed at most.

they are amazing for HT and (i think) great for music (tho some would disagree), they dont need a separate subwoofer either, they shake my house apart.

would i upgrade? not likely for my main living room setup. i have been considering getting a dedicated 2ch bookshelf system for the bedroom or den that i would use exclusively for music.

if i could do it all again would i do it different? maybe...but would i be happier? hard to say.
    Home Theatre:
    50" Panasonic TH-50PZ77
    Denon AVR-3808CI
    B&W 603 S3
    B&W LCR600 S3
    Paradigm Cinema ADP v.3
    SVS PB12-NSD
    Xbox 360 250GB
    Playstation 3 60GB
    Explorer 8300HD PVR 320GB
    Netgear ReadyNAS NV+ 8TB
    Harmony One

2-Channel:
    Paradigm Studio 20 v.5
    NAD C320BEE
    NAD C521BEE

Quote Originally Posted by mr. budget
    Like what speakers do you have, why did you choose that particular speaker or set (incl swfrs). What need did you have that they filled? Like what was right for you about your speakers that made them right for you. Also are you upgrading?
    PSB Platinums. They are the best speakers I could audition without having to go to New York City. They fill the 'need' of reproducing music. I have no plans to upgrade this decade, no.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread Information