Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Super Moderator Site Moderator JohnMichael's Avatar

Who are your top loudspeaker designers?

I know a few brands I am interested in and I know of some of the designers. I was wondering who your favorites are and the speakers they have designed.
    JohnMichael
    Vinyl Rega Planar 2, Incognito rewire, Deepgroove subplatter, ceramic bearing, Michell Technoweight, Rega 24V motor, TTPSU, FunkFirm Achroplat platter, Michael Lim top and bottom braces, 2 Rega feet and one RDC cones. Grado Sonata, Moon 110 LP phono.
    Digital
    Sony SCD-XA5400ES SACD/cd SID mat, Marantz SA 8001
    Int. Amp Krell S-300i
    Speaker
    Monitor Audio RS6
    Cables
    AQ SPKR and AQ XLR and IC

Forum Regular
    Martin J King who pioneered the H-frames.

Quarter Wavelength Loudspeaker Design

Lawrence Dickie - B&W Nautilus, Vivid
    Edgar Vilchur - acoustic suspension pioneer and Acoustic Research
    Roy Allison - Acoustic Research and Allison Acoustics
    Henry Kloss - KLH, Acoustic Research, Advent, Cambridge Soundworks
    Ken Kantor - Acoustic Research and NHT
    Mike Kelly - ADS and Aerial Acoustics
    Richard Vandersteen - Vandersteen

the list could go on for some time.... of those i listed i've only met Kantor and he's a freakin' genius.
    AR MGC-1, AR C225 PS, M&K V-1B, Pioneer VSX 47TX, Oppo BDP-83, Squeezebox v3, Vortexbox Appliance.

RGA
    Forum Regular
    I prefer not to know the designers all that well because it might get me to subconsciously be nicer to something I don't like all that much. I'd rather just evaluate the loudspeaker. Knowing names also goes the other way - if I hate 3 speakers and the guys is a "known" name designer then I might tend to roll my eyes at the next product that comes out when they advertise the man's name. So and so designed this new speaker and I think - "that's supposed to impress me."

Take the list of names provided y Dingus - well known names - all of whom have probably contributed important things to audio reproduction but the speakers themselves don't sound alike. If you love Vandersteen you probably won't love B&W or NHT. Just doesn't sound alike.

I put the Gee in Gear.... thekid's Avatar
    I am not a student of speaker design but Henry Kloss is a name I got to know through the speakers I have owned. He came up with speakers at 4 different companies that are still well regarded today. Quite a feat IMO.

I am also a fan of Steve Ederbach of early DCM fame. He seems to have perfected transmission line speakers. You would be hard pressed to find speakers built with such run of the mill drivers that produced such SQ in design after design.
    NAD D3020
    Denon 2910
    Denon DMD 1000
    MSB Link DAC III
    Von Schweikert VR2
    NAD 7240PE
    NAD 5240
    Hughes AK 100
    Tascam 122
    Technics SL 1700
    Rogers BBC Monitors LS3/6

Suspended
    Albert von Schwiekert

Quote Originally Posted by RGA View Post
    I prefer not to know the designers all that well because it might get me to subconsciously be nicer to something I don't like all that much. I'd rather just evaluate the loudspeaker. Knowing names also goes the other way - if I hate 3 speakers and the guys is a "known" name designer then I might tend to roll my eyes at the next product that comes out when they advertise the man's name. So and so designed this new speaker and I think - "that's supposed to impress me."

Take the list of names provided y Dingus - well known names - all of whom have probably contributed important things to audio reproduction but the speakers themselves don't sound alike. If you love Vandersteen you probably won't love B&W or NHT. Just doesn't sound alike.

So no one from Audio Note?
    JohnMichael
    Vinyl Rega Planar 2, Incognito rewire, Deepgroove subplatter, ceramic bearing, Michell Technoweight, Rega 24V motor, TTPSU, FunkFirm Achroplat platter, Michael Lim top and bottom braces, 2 Rega feet and one RDC cones. Grado Sonata, Moon 110 LP phono.
    Digital
    Int. Amp Krell S-300i
    Speaker
    Monitor Audio RS6
    Cables

Aging Smartass
    Quote Originally Posted by dingus View Post
    Mike Kelly - ADS and Aerial Acoustics

Not many people know this, but Mike Kelly was, for a brief period, president of dbx. He was hired by the company who purchased dbx from BSR - Carillon Technology Inc. (CTI), and strong-armed and man-handled all along his brief tenure there.

To his everlasting credit, he resigned in protest over the firing of the National Sales Manager by the two top jerks in CTI.

dbx never set any sales records with its "Soundfield Imaging" loudspeakers, and Mike's predecessor at dbx spent millions of dollars putting on fancy grilles (that fell off) and cast aluminum trim rings around the cheap drivers in a failed attempt to fool people into thinking the drivers were other than the cheap Pioneer drivers that they actually were.

Mike came up with a design that made a better sounding speaker, with better drivers, and the ability to be either a "direct-firing" or "Soundfield Imaging" speaker, and was just shot down by upper management, for reasons that were never explained.

I'll never understand why CTI bought the company, since they sold off the profitable sections (the pro side, in particular to Harman International) and intentionally destroyed the others. As far as I know, there is no longer a company called "CTI," and for that we should all be greatful. And, I"m happy for MIke that he found his niche at Aerial Acoustics.

Henry Kloss for my Small Advents
    Ken Kantor for my NHT SuperOnes
    Jon Bau of Spica
    Amar Bose for the 901
    Daniel Dehay at Reference 3A
    Josh Bizar for voicing the OML1
    JohnMichael
    Digital
    Int. Amp Krell S-300i
    Speaker
    Monitor Audio RS6
    Cables

Byron
    Richard Vandersteen Vandersteen 2CE

Jim Winey Magnepan

Jon Dahlquist DQ-10

Carl Marchisotto Acarian Systems Alon 1(Because I own them)
    Byron

Quote Originally Posted by Byron4 View Post

Carl Marchisotto Acarian Systems Alon 1(Because I own them)

I would like to hear his Nola Boxers for my small space.
    JohnMichael
    Digital
    Int. Amp Krell S-300i
    Speaker
    Monitor Audio RS6
    Cables

...If you love Vandersteen you probably won't love B&W or NHT. Just doesn't sound alike.
    they are all different in their sound and presentation, but i could easily live with any of them. each has a sound thats easy to love imo.
    AR MGC-1, AR C225 PS, M&K V-1B, Pioneer VSX 47TX, Oppo BDP-83, Squeezebox v3, Vortexbox Appliance.

RGA
    Forum Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnMichael View Post
    So no one from Audio Note?
    Audio Note hires different experts for different things. Peter Snell would be the guy who designed part of the speaker - the wave-launch approach - but L.L. Beranek designed the cabinet shape as "perfect" boxes for the reproduction of an acoustic signal - and being one of the world's best acousticians (every speaker maker references him and every book on loudspeaker design references him) and he's world famous as an opera house designer. The guys at Bell Labs also played an important role in the speaker.

You can generally tell if it's something good:
    1) it lasts and lasts with very few to little changes. The same model sells consistently well for 15+ years without 7 MarkII, Mark III, Mark VII or other versions being applied merely to have the product kept in a perpetual review cycle

2) if it goes out of business - another company buys up the rights and makes it under their own name (Snells Systemdecks voyds or LS-3/5a). Lots of people blather on about 30 year old speakers - and yet no one bothers to say "gee that would actually sound good and would compete today - I think I'll make it and put my own name on it." If they were REALLY good someone would. (exception might be appearance or saleability projections) - and possibly unique parts that can't be reproduced today.

Man of the People Forums Moderator bobsticks's Avatar
    I've always enjoyed Calvin Klein's presentations. He usually has a good Kramer anecdote.
    So, I broke into the palace
    With a sponge and a rusty spanner
    She said : "Eh, I know you, and you cannot sing"
    I said : "That's nothing - you should hear me play piano"

...Lots of people blather on about 30 year old speakers - and yet no one bothers to say "gee that would actually sound good and would compete today - I think I'll make it and put my own name on it." If they were REALLY good someone would. (exception might be appearance or saleability projections) - and possibly unique parts that can't be reproduced today.
    (as long as we're straying off topic....)

i dont have a handful of examples that go back a full 30 years, but i suppose one needs to define their meaning of the term "good sound" regardless.

some modern high-end speakers i've heard within the last 5 years...

B&W Nautilus
    Sonus Faber Stradivari
    Martin Logan SummitX
    B&W 800d

some speakers 25 years of age and older i've heard....

Infinity IRS Delta
    Acoustic Research MGC-1
    JBL L-300
    Tannoy Berkeley

the modern speakers all outpaced the vintage speakers in terms of dynamics and spl's, with the exception of the JBL L-300 which held its own in this regard. aside from that i cant say that the modern speakers held an overall advantage over the vintage. there are always trade-offs. for example, the Martin Logans image better than all the others, but the Tannoys do vocals best.

for your "good sound", if you prefer a 3d soundstage, go with the Infinity IRS Delta. for imaging and impact, the Martin Logans will do nicely. if you prefer an overall balanced presentation, the Sonus Faber Stradivari probably do that best. if you want an uncolored from top-to-bottom, liquid-smooth presentation then go with the B&W Nautilus. for the ability to deliver the highest possible sound quality available with the electronics you have in use, they will all do that pretty equally.

M.P.S.E /AES/SMPTE member Sir Terrence the Terrible's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by emaidel View Post
    Not many people know this, but Mike Kelly was, for a brief period, president of dbx. He was hired by the company who purchased dbx from BSR - Carillon Technology Inc. (CTI), and strong-armed and man-handled all along his brief tenure there.

To his everlasting credit, he resigned in protest over the firing of the National Sales Manager by the two top jerks in CTI.

dbx never set any sales records with its "Soundfield Imaging" loudspeakers, and Mike's predecessor at dbx spent millions of dollars putting on fancy grilles (that fell off) and cast aluminum trim rings around the cheap drivers in a failed attempt to fool people into thinking the drivers were other than the cheap Pioneer drivers that they actually were.

Mike came up with a design that made a better sounding speaker, with better drivers, and the ability to be either a "direct-firing" or "Soundfield Imaging" speaker, and was just shot down by upper management, for reasons that were never explained. {/quote]

I'll never understand why CTI bought the company, since they sold off the profitable sections (the pro side, in particular to Harman International) and intentionally destroyed the others. As far as I know, there is no longer a company called "CTI," and for that we should all be greatful. And, I"m happy for MIke that he found his niche at Aerial Acoustics.
    A friend of mine purchased both the SF-1 and SF-150. The concept was brilliant, but the execution left a lot to be desired. The concept of creating an egg shaped dispersion pattern that favored the area between the speakers is an excellent concept. The fact that I could be standing right next to the right speaker, and can clearly hear the left speaker as well is true stereo everywhere technology. The problem I have with this speaker is the same I have with the Bose 901, and that is the comb filtering that occurs when a speaker bounces its output all over the room in all directions. You get stereo everywhere, but it is diffused and blurred. I personally enjoyed the SF-150 a bit more than the SF-1.

For favorite speaker designer I would choose John Dunlavy and Jim Thiel along with the other have mentioned.
    Sir Terrence

Titan Reference 3D 1080p projector
    200" SI Black Diamond II screen
    Oppo BDP-103D
    Datastat RS20I audio/video processor 12.4 audio setup
    9 Onkyo M-5099 power amp
    9 Onkyo M-510 power amp
    9 Onkyo M-508 power amp
    6 custom CAL amps for subs
    3 custom 3 way horn DSP hybrid monitors
    18 custom 3 way horn DSP hybrid surround/ceiling speakers
    2 custom 15" sealed FFEC servo subs
    4 custom 15" H-PAS FFEC servo subs
    THX Style Baffle wall

I would have loved to hear a pair of Dunlavy SM-1 two way speakes. Nothing like a good two way for me.
    JohnMichael
    Digital
    Int. Amp Krell S-300i
    Speaker
    Monitor Audio RS6
    Cables

RGA
    Forum Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by dingus View Post
    they are all different in their sound and presentation, but i could easily live with any of them. each has a sound thats easy to love imo.
    Interesting - I could not live with any of those brands - if I could I would be living with them. Art Dudley noted in a review that over his time reviewing which is about 40 years he has heard about 14 loudspeakers that he could live.

I am more of a speaker slut than Art so i could probably live with about 15 (but in half his years).

Unfortunately some of those excellent speakers that would make my list like Soundlabs, Acapella, Trenner and Freidl the speakers are too big for my space or far too expensive or both.

Interesting - I could not live with any of those brands - if I could I would be living with them. Art Dudley noted in a review that over his time reviewing which is about 40 years he has heard about 14 loudspeakers that he could live.

I am more of a speaker slut than Art so i could probably live with about 15 (but in half his years).

Unfortunately some of those excellent speakers that would make my list like Soundlabs, Acapella, Trenner and Freidl the speakers are too big for my space or far too expensive or both.
    Which illustrates what a spoiled sh!t Art Dudley is. I guess he'd kill himself if he had to live with my speakers, or yours, RGA. I wouldn't miss him, I'd just keep on enjoying the music.

M.P.S.E /AES/SMPTE member Sir Terrence the Terrible's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Feanor View Post
    Which illustrates what a spoiled sh!t Art Dudley is. I guess he'd kill himself if he had to live with my speakers, or yours, RGA. I wouldn't miss him, I'd just keep on enjoying the music.
    Either spoiled, snobby or both.
    Sir Terrence

Titan Reference 3D 1080p projector
    200" SI Black Diamond II screen
    Oppo BDP-103D
    Datastat RS20I audio/video processor 12.4 audio setup
    9 Onkyo M-5099 power amp
    9 Onkyo M-510 power amp
    9 Onkyo M-508 power amp
    6 custom CAL amps for subs
    3 custom 3 way horn DSP hybrid monitors
    18 custom 3 way horn DSP hybrid surround/ceiling speakers
    2 custom 15" sealed FFEC servo subs
    4 custom 15" H-PAS FFEC servo subs
    THX Style Baffle wall

Quote Originally Posted by Feanor View Post

Art is a fan of Audio Note E speakers. He owns a pair and pairs them with tube electronics. I like Art and he is a musician.
    JohnMichael
    Digital
    Int. Amp Krell S-300i
    Speaker
    Monitor Audio RS6
    Cables

How about the designers at Tyler Acoustic or Salk loudspeakers?
    JohnMichael
    Digital
    Int. Amp Krell S-300i
    Speaker
    Monitor Audio RS6
    Cables

Quote Originally Posted by JohnMichael View Post
    Henry Kloss for my Small Advents
    Ken Kantor for my NHT SuperOnes
    Jon Bau of Spica
    Amar Bose for the 901
    Daniel Dehay at Reference 3A
    Josh Bizar for voicing the OML1
    I agree, and only have heard, two of those:

John Bau - Spica TC-50
    Henry Kloss - Large Advents
    Peter Snell - Snell Type Jll

I appreciate all of them for their adherence to neutrality and that they tried to give as much "hi-fi" as they could without you or them throwing crap loads of money to get it.

The fact that John Bau created a speaker that knocked on the door of Quad ESL's in coherence and imaging with some budget Audax tweets and woofs just does it for me. I admire a designer who out thinks instead of out spends.

Henry Kloss for making those Large Advents sound like they weren't from the 70's and they looks sweeeeeeet.

Peter Snell : do I really need to explain. If so ask the guy from Audio Note. Although on a side note and speaking of Art Dudley. I read his recent write up of my Snell Type J's and I am not sure if I hear as much grain as he does. Although he's got finer taste than I do, so I might not actually know what "grain" is.
    Main System: Exposure 2010s - VPI HW-19jr - Denon DL-103LC - ClearAudio Basic - Sony SCD-S7700 - PS Audio DLlll - Revel M20

I'd like to live with a pair of German Physiks or Deuvels just to see what they were about. But they get a nod from me for being "out of left field". I'd like to make a Deuvel Ventus clone out of some old Dahlquist drivers I have just for sh*ts and giggles.
    Main System: Exposure 2010s - VPI HW-19jr - Denon DL-103LC - ClearAudio Basic - Sony SCD-S7700 - PS Audio DLlll - Revel M20

Where's Poultry with the Shindo OB nomination!?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information